IMDb > Shaun of the Dead (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 88: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

I don't care what anyone thinks this is one of the worse films of recent years. Horrendous.

Author: galileo3 from United Kingdom
7 July 2008

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

I know that many people will disagree with this opinion, but I really don't care what anyone thinks. This is crap of the highest order but more importantly it is not funny, no it is not funny. NOT FUNNY.

A laughable attempt to spoof zombie films (which on average are crap) to produce the apex of modern cinematic trash. I'm sorry but I can't say much else except that Shaun of the Dead is an insult to British comedy and comedy in general.

Sadistically boring.

Shaun of the Dead Review.

Author: ben hibburd from United Kingdom
5 August 2017

Shaun of the Dead is one of only a handful of films, where no matter how far it is into its runtime, if I see it on TV i'll stop what i'm doing and watch it until its credits. This is one of the funniest films I've ever seen, and one that gets better upon repeat viewings. It's an Incredibly fun film that is endlessly quotable. Edgar Wright directs this film with a high level of energy and stylish panache. Shaun of the Dead has one of the best scripts written for a comedy, it rivals classics like Young Frankenstein, it's one of the most thought out, intelligent genre comedies around.

Simon Pegg plays your average every-man Shaun. Shaun is lazy, carefree and floating through life like a figurative zombie. He's some-one that's constantly taking the easy option, much to the annoyance of his girlfriend Liz(Kate Ashfield). So when a Zombie outbreak occurs, Shaun and his equally oafish roommate Ed(Nick Frost) are completely oblivious to the chaos encompassing them.

This leads to some truly hilarious situations such-as when Shaun is walking to his local convince store. He's completely disconnected on his everyday route to the local convenience shop, he Ignores a crashed car, a woman running away, an approaching zombie that he assumes is a beggar wanting change. Even when he slips on a pool of blood he's not attune to his surroundings. Being an Edgar Wright film, there are tons of visual gags and Easter eggs that accompany the situation, and the film as a whole. This makes re-watching the film just as fun and engaging as the first time, if not more-so.

There's even interesting social commentary to be gained from the film as- well. Much like George A. Romero's Dead trilogy it looks at how oblivious society has become, and how mundane our daily lives are, that not only does a Zombie apocalypse come and go without any notice being taken, but also how much real people act like Zombies, doing the same jobs and tasks day after day, becoming increasingly disconnected with society and each other. Whilst this aspect is explored in greater detail in Romero's Dead films, there's still a healthy serving of satire in this film to be gained. The fact that Wright can extract gags from some of the most mundane scenarios like a pen leaking on a shirt is a testament to his wonderfully creative writing and directing skills.

However once Shaun and Ed come to realise the situation they're in, the film really kicks Into gear. After Shaun and Ed fend off an assault from two zombies in hysterical fashion, by sorting through their un-wanted vinyl records, and trying to lob them at their heads. Though when that failed they have to resort to a spade and a cricket bat. They then devise a plan to take Shaun's mum and his girlfriend Liz as-well as her two roommates, and hide-out at their local pub. In Shaun's words "Go to the Winchester, have a pint, and wait for all this to blow over."

Naturally during the course of the film things don't go smoothly, and despite being a comedy, it is after all a Zombie film. There are moments with lots of gore, as-well as brilliantly timed Zombie kills to the beat of Queens - Don't Stop Me Now. Shaun of the Dead manages to converge these two tones, and deliver one of the best genre mash ups of all-time.

Shaun of the Dead was my first exposure to the Incredible talent that is Edgar Wright. His writing and directing, and especially the way his films are edited to the beat of a drum show how confident and creative of a director that he is. Despite this being his debut film(no i'm not counting A Fistful of Fingers), he is like a puppet master that is in full control of every frame. I can't find a bad word to say about Shaun of the Dead, for me this Is the pinnacle of comedic film-making.

awesome

Author: G Funk Master from United States
1 June 2005

this movie is my favorite movie, hands down. i'm a big fan of comedies and zombie movies, and this movie blended them perfectly. George A. Romero's original version is a classic, (the remake was not bad either), and this movie does it justice. I hope that Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright team up for even more movies in the future, because this was as close to a perfect movie as humanly possible. And for those people that disagree with me, you obviously don't know what a good movie is, because this is, without question, a good example of one. Hopefully if these two do team up for another movie they but Bruce Campbell in it, because a good movie just becomes so much better, if you add some Bruce juice. This review is slowly fading out, simply because i'm being forced to write 10 lines.

Di-buh di-buh di-buh duh-bih ba daa- UHHHHHHG!

Author: TheMightyPotentialist from United States
5 March 2005

SHAUN OF THE DEAD ( R ) DVD release: December 21, 2004 (4 ½ out of 5 stars)

Director Edgar Wright produces a fun, quirky spoof of B-movie Zombie flicks in Shaun of the Dead. Shaun (Simon Pegg), a blue collar sales assistant at Foree Electronics continues about his pathetic life, completely oblivious to the strange behaviors of everyone around him. After a series of hilarious mishaps, Shaun comes to terms with the fact that the mass populous of London have become zombies. Shaun, with the help of slacker roommate Ed (Nick Frost), takes it upon himself to rescue his mum Barbara (Penelope Winston) and ex-girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfield). What kind of refuge has Shaun decided to take his love ones to? His favorite pub of course! Tagging along are Shaun's step-dad Philip (Bill Nighy), Liz's roommate Dianne (Lucy Davis), and Dianne's boyfriend, David (Dylan Moran). The DVD features include deleted scenes, hilarious outtakes, cast and crew commentaries, and the "Zomb-O-Meter" (Trivia) commentary. Shaun of The Dead is an enjoyable film (arguably one of the funniest I've ever seen) and is worth multiple viewings. The DVD is in stores now.

"This is how a Romantic Comedy Should be."

Author: ChrisTreborn from God's own Country
1 March 2005

This film killed me, I couldn't breathe because of the non-stop laugh. This one is better than Exorcist.

Shaun Of The Dead (Spoilers******)

Story begins as Shaun (Simon Pegg) an average unattractive guy who lives with his buddy Ed (Nick Frost) and a non-buddy Pete (Peter Serafinowicz), gets troubles on the relation with beautiful Liz (Kate Ashfield). To make the matter worst, it all happens when the whole town goes on a strange biological change.

That night to cure the broken heart, Shaun and Ed went on a bar to get drunk badly and parties at their apartment. Next morning Shaun wakes up with a new twist in his life. He finds that his town changed completely, and the people around him is now Zombies!

What will he do next, will he go back to his (ex) girlfriend or he better fight for his own survival?

Directed by Edgar Wright from the creation of Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright themselves, tells a romantic tale set up on the backdrops of Zombies. They did a great work by smartly blending romance and horror in the story with a touch of humor. The big thing I liked most in this movie was its editing. Wow what a pace cutting experience, all the credits goes to Chris Dickens for his masterful editing.

Also soul for this Zombie movie was stunningly created by Daniel Mudford and Pete Woodhead under Nick Angel. I liked that heavy cues on attacks.

Furthermore strangely, I found the man who did the sound version of my greatest Star Wars Villains Darth Maul, Mr. Peter Serafinowicz. He looked terrific in the role of Pete, even better on that Zombie version. Only thing I didn't like in this movie was, I think it lacked location recordings, and was dubbed by its respected actors. Even though, we get an interesting cinematic tones. It's a Great nice British movie.

I give this movie 8 out of 10.

Shaun Of The Dead = Fun of the Joy.

Usage of Queen Music:Always a Bonus!

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
1 March 2005

I just saw this film a few days ago on video--I don't recall if it ever made it to my hometown,it might've made it to Lawrence,which is 20 plus miles east of here--and was VERY impressed. I found myself drawing comparisons of this show to the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" remake,which came out both in theatre and video/DVD relatively close to each other. While I liked and was sufficiently entertained by DOTD 2004,I was more impressed with this effort,mostly due to the copious amount of comedy and pathos that gives this zombie flick a little more depth(I also enjoyed this ending more than DOTD's,but that would be a spoiler if I told you why).

The English sensibility of this film(i.e. a lot of arguing,a sort of Soccer-hooligan sensibility to its violence)makes the horror element of this film both real and hilarious,no mean feat there! The hero,Shaun,you become familiar with as a basically good guy with low aspirations and a sinking sense of boredom in life. His best friend,Ed,is a disgusting yet amiable loser and his girlfriend,Liz,might seem grating and prattling on first observation,but she is basically kind and sensible,a perfect foil for Shaun. The fact that zombies are taking over London slowly sinks in,and isn't helped by the fact that(and this bit I have no doubt was the filmmakers tongue-in-cheek jab at London/British urban lifestyle)many locals are already lethargic,slow-moving,inarticulate sorts. There is much confusion over who is undead and who is merely drunk in this film,and there are some great visual similarities between the undead and Shaun himself. By the time it is eminently clear that London,perhaps all of England and maybe even the world,is being overtaken by the walking dead,it becomes a full-on race and struggle for survival. Par for the course there,the signature of any ordinary film of this genre. But the way the principal characters react to the situation and each other is both very palpable,aggravating(it doesn't dawn on them until about 2/3 of the way through the film that they should SHOOT THE ZOMBIES IN THE HEAD?)and funny. The ending may seem a bit of a cop-out for some,but it fits the rhythm of the movie as it was set up.

Horror-comedies are rare(and I'm ready to give a rhetorical beat-down to the next person who thinks the "Scream" movies are parodies. The "Scary Movie" films ARE.)and probably somewhat difficult to make. I suppose "Love at First Bite" or "American Werewolf in London" might be considered examples. But this film is able to balance the scares,gore and other conventions of thriller flicks with - daffy,pratfall comedy,and that makes this film very special. The amount of pop music references and usage(Queen in particular)is something that sealed the deal for me.

I probably would've voted a 9.5 for this one,since I don't really fancy myself a horror movie aficionado,but since you cannot vote like that on IMDb,so I rounded up.

Best zombies ever

Author: murking from United States
26 February 2005

I'm a bit of a zombie purist.. Dawn of the Dead is one of my top 10 favorites film. I love the cinematography, and the irony of the ambulatory corpses shuffling around the shopping center as is their old habit. But the recent glut of zombie film depicts them as steroid-enraged track stars drooling blood. They move so fast whenever one is killed or merely shot, the camera zooms in so fast you don't see the impact. Saves the big budget film some bucks on squibs I guess. But also it lacks imagination. You can always add the whiz and growl effects in post.

Well thank the producers of Shaun of the dead for not only giving the zombies a plausible pacing, but making them memorable personality wise. In Dawn you have the helicopter zombie, the machete victim, many more. When Shaun goes to the deli shop for the first time, you get the outlay of the neighborhood with all the familiar characters he sees everyday in almost the same spot. To name a few; The soccer playing kid The Jamaican guy washing his car The panhandler The Indian grocery owner The one-armed guy in the blue tux.

If you listen to the commentary track, you'll find that every zombie character appears in an earlier scene in a living state. All in all the film was great. Funny, action packed and only slightly ironic.

Great Movie- One that makes u fuzzy in side ready to face the day and funny! All that with the added ZOMBIES!

Author: jessicaxlofc from United Kingdom
24 February 2005

This movie is for people who want a genuine funny and a movie the makes you warm and fuzzy inside. And this is it. Except with Zombies. Simon Pegg and Edgar Write have a brilliant on screen comic chemistry showing how carp crap life can be sometimes but telling you to look ahead things can get better. The characters are portrayed brilliantly! Highly recommended movie! Lucy Davis (from the office) shows enthusiasm in the role and she should be proud of her performance- so should all the others as well. Bill Nighy plays his role as the dodgy step dad with strength and is kinda freaky when he pops up unexpected. The guy who plays David should get a pat on the back- he was so funny and genuine!Everone in the movie deserves so much recongnition! Vernon Kay has a cameo and looks really good as an added bonus! A MUST SEE! Should have won the best move Oscar! Deserves it 100%. Fabulous and for what the budget was really good costumes!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved the movie!

An excellent film that actually rises above is genre'

Author: jimbeem from U.S.A.
12 February 2005

I was pretty hesitant when I purchased this movie yet I was very hopeful. It helped to read the message boards here to help me decide to purchase. I am not a fan of British humor, I do not think it translates well from there to here. I see a lot of references to "Monty Python", which I was never a fan of as I think it is very "tongue in cheek", I also seriously doubt Benny Hill would have even hit our shores if it wasn't for all the sexual innuendo. So why do I like this movie? To best explain is to compare it to "Magnolia", instead of having many characters dealing with one issue, you have one dealing with an abundance. The whole scene where Shaun is oblivious to the undead surrounding him is the entire premise of the film, the undead are secondary to Shaun's real issues. One by one each issue resolved itself, including Ed, who we all know just sat around, played video games, and ate anyway. My point is, whether it is zombies running around or it's raining frogs, something bizarre happens to motivate our characters. This film also stuck to the original material which I really admired. "Dawn of the Dead" was a plot less gore fest, "Magnolia" took itself way to seriously. I think this is very complimentary to the walking dead genre' and has opened up a bit of gore to a much broader audience. I do think that this movie is more a romance comedy than a horror film but I don't know that I would take a first date to see it. I don't even remember seeing this movie advertised here in the states or seeing it on a marquee. Though I admitted in the beginning of this submission that Brit humor doesn't often translate well, the sight gags were very funny. This movie is a lot of fun and I recommend it to everyone. I do not regret my purchase of this movie, WELL DONE!

Never takes itself seriously....almost(spoilers, maybe)

Author: guido32 from United States
9 February 2005

The movie was everything I expected. My the comedy was outstanding. The movie excelled at being pure entertainment. The movie never stopped surprising me. Sometimes during previews for a movie they completely give away the best scenes. However, the scenes during the trailer evolved differently than I suspected. The only problem I had was that the feel of the movie took a much too long serious turn toward the movie when they went to the bar. I was hoping the movie would continue to the end without being cliché, but this scene proved otherwise. Aside from this issue, the rest of the movie was great. I especially enjoyed the performance by Nick Frost(Ed). His delivery was priceless! Worthseeing by anyone who enjoys comedy at its finest!