IMDb > Shaun of the Dead (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 83:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

The power of the movie is in its professionalism.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
16 September 2005

This is the best mix of beer and blood I have ever tasted. "Shaun of the Dead" has some great comical moments and yet it has been made with lots of professionalism like this was a serious gory horror movie they were making. Because of this, through its seriousness, the movie becomes perhaps even more hilarious and really delivers. Both the fans of the (British) comedy-genre and the fans of mainly 'Zombie' movies and other gory horror-movies, will be entertained by this movie.

Visually the movie is really good looking. Its not like many other British movies and has a good looking use of cinematography and lighting. The gore, make-up and visual effects are extremely good and are even something that I haven't even seen in 'serious' Zombie/horror flicks.

You might think that this movie is just mainly a spoof of "Dawn of the Dead" (1978) but its really more than that. The movie is good and creates a good story on its own so that it becomes more than just a simple spoof. All of the characters are well written and are funny in their own way.

The acting is good for comedy standards and the actors perfectly know how to play in both hilarious/funny scene's as well as in serious/emotional one's. Plus of course it has the wonderful Bill Nighy playing a role in it. This guy really is a terrific actor that always is at his best in comical roles like he plays in this movie.

Basically this is a very good looking and professionally made movie that also is funny and hilarious at moments. I can't see how anyone could not like this movie.

Why can't there be more British comedies like this?

Author: Kudos_King from United Kingdom
11 September 2005

Shaun of the dead is in a word, brilliant.

I've seen this movie at least 10 times and it never gets old, makes me laugh at each viewing. Having seen Dawn of the Dead, i was expecting just another spoof (as the name implies) but was pleasantly surprised to find a completely original story with some great comedy moments and superb acting all around (not to mention buckets of gore). The first of the rom-com-zom genre, Shaun of the Dead will certainly set the standard for future zombie flicks of its kind, and i can see Pegg having a bright future in comedy. GO RENT IT NOW.

Tom Patterson

Just didn't click with me

Author: Gambitt from Ohio
31 May 2005

I was really looking forward to enjoying a quirky, English comedy but from start to finish I just could not get into Shaun of the Dead.

It should be noted that I'm generally not a fan of zombie movies. The genre has always seemed to focus on gore, effects, and thrills over plot and innovation. But I didn't think this would be an issue since Shaun is a spoof.

But it's not a spoof. Or at least not entirely a spoof. Shaun is a conglomeration of spoof, satire, horror, thriller, fantasy, romance, and of course comedy. Very rarely do I enjoy movies that attempt to bridge more than three genres simultaneously. The only similar movie I can recall for comparison is Mars Attacks! (1996).

I had some laughs, but overall I could not slip into the proper mindset to enjoy this film even though I desperately wanted to. At times it was clever and creative by placing average Joes in bizarre zombie situations. But at the same time it suffers from all those traits that infuriate and annoy me in horror and thriller movies.

In short the primary problem was an inability to empathize with the characters. One reason I don't care for horror movies is because the main characters are generally morons. Shaun himself was no exception; he repeatedly makes poor choices and either under or over reacts to all sorts of situations. His mother is a cross between senile and dim-witted. Ed is borderline retarded.

Truthfully, in real life, I can't stand people like Shaun. They are so absorbed in their own problems that they are completely oblivious to their surroundings and events around them. They have no one to blame but themselves for their predicaments. The characters just don't seem to behave realistically, which would be fine if the movie was an outright satire sketch like Monty Python, but it's not.

All in all, I give Shaun of the Dead a 6 / 10, still worth a watch.

Not wholly successful but a solid horror with laughs - fans of Spaced, Black Books etc will love it!

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
10 April 2004

Shaun is in his late twenties and works in a electrical store with teenagers. He hangs out with his slobbish friend and spends every evening in the Winchester pub. Fed up with this, his girlfriend dumps him, leaving him with the words of his other flatmate ringing in his ears - `sort your life out'. His plans take an unexpected turn when he and Ed eventually notice that London's populace has mostly given into a virus that turns them into, well, the Z word. Shaun and Ed devise a plan to keep safe and rescue Shaun's mother and ex.

Although the makers were cursing themselves for the unfortunate timing of this film's release with the (much bigger budget) remake of Dawn of the Dead - however for me this served as a rather nice experience after the straight-scares of Dawn. A point to note for all those moaners, is that this film went into production before the remake did. Anyway, ignoring this issue it is important to note that the film is a very British affair and is aimed at a very particular sense of humour. In essence, if you love Spaced then you'll enjoy this. The film is NOT a spoof - it is a horror movie with laughs, not unlike Evil Dead in that regard. The gags are good but not as fast as Spaced fans will be used to - instead they are put in with the horror rather than being forced over the top of it.

The film has movie references, but not to the point where they become the gags themselves (Spaced's cutaways for example). In place of that we have references to Deer Hunter and The Matrix that are funny but will not spoil things for you if you don't spot them. I laughed throughout but it is important not to expect to be rolling in the aisles - the film is still a horror, not a Naked Gun style spoof.

As a horror, the film is not really scary but does have a good gutful of gore to go around. The zombies are slow, and this will not work for modern audiences, but it does hark back to the old zombie flicks and also allows the material to work. I closed my eyes a few times as the film provided blood, and it does have the odd moment that is touching. Of course the laughs are everything and, aside from a slow start and a more horror-focused ending, this is consistently funny.

The one thing that it also does well is have a slight satirical edge to it. It is delivered rather heavily (early scenes of hooded youths lumbering around force the point home too heavily) but it is still true - having done my shopping in Asda just before seeing this film I can definitely contest that many of us lumber around in a semi-trance! This is a nice touch - the Dawn remake lacked any of the comment that it's original made, so it is good to have some here. Again however, non-Brits may not totally pick up on this as we seem to be one of the few countries that has this pub-orientated culture.

The cast are great and will be full of faces recognisable from the TV series that this film will draw the majority of it's fans from. Pegg is great, he is a slightly more advanced version of his Spaced character and he makes for a good leading character simply because he is so recognisable - this is not a Hollywood film with characters we don't know, but instead a bloke from a pub. Despite the fact that I would hate Ed in real life, Frost is hilariously exaggerated. He looks very different from Spaced but he does well with the material. Ashfield is spunky and the only downside to her is that she would never be with Shaun in the first place. Support is good from Moran, Davis and Nighy. There are plenty of in-jokes for fans, including a great cameo from Stevenson, who also shows up with her own group of friends that mirror Shaun's friends in terms of looks and (pretty much) TV series background (eg Tim from the Office and Fran from Black Books).

Overall this will not please everyone and I fear that some will not laugh as much as the adverts and hype suggested. However it is a good horror comedy and easily the best British film of the year so far - fans of Spaced will notice the joke rate is scaled back but it is still very funny. The humour of Spaced has reached the big screen and is doing good things for the British cinema industry. The makers said they threw so much into the film (horror, comedy, romance, drama, gore) because they didn't think they would be allowed to make another film - I hope to god that is not the case.

A good horror/comedy but somewhat overrated.

Author: Paul Andrews (poolandrews@hotmail.com) from UK
3 January 2007

Shaun of the Dead is set in London where Shaun (co-writer Simon Pegg) has problems, his fat mate Ed (Nick Frost) is holding him back, his girlfriend Liz (Kate Ashfield) dumps him & then there's the small matter of hordes of flesh eating zombies that risen from the dead to feast on the living. However, Shaun has a plan to save himself, his mate, his ex-girlfriend & his mum & step-dad which involves barricading themselves into his local pub...

This British French co-production was co-written & directed by Edgar Wright & I have to say I was left a little disappointed by it & I can't quite see where all the glowing praise for it comes from. The script by star Pegg & Wright is obviously a nice homage to George A. Romero's 'Dead' films although to be honest I'd sooner watch Romero's splatter/gore films than this odd mixture of comedy, romance & horror. Shaun of the Dead is all very British & maybe the novelty of it wins people over especially those who don't live here in Britian, unfortunately I do live here & it just doesn't have quite the same affect on me. Apparently both Pegg & Wright were involved in the British comedy series 'Spaced' which to be honest I've never heard of & maybe that's where a lot of it's fans come from. Anyway, it's a moderately successful film & certainly a watchable one, it's amusing, it's pretty clever & well written, it has plenty of fun references to other films, it's a fairly fun film but I found it to be too spoofy, it goes to far into the direction of silliness & some of the things that happen just annoyed me. I'm in two minds really, I will openly admit it's a fun watch but I didn't think it was as brilliant as many seem to think, I doubt I'd watch it again anytime soon & I didn't have as much fun with it as I'd hoped, overall I'd say I was a little disappointed.

Director Wright does a good job, it's shot like a TV soap opera at times although he manages to juggle the comedy, romance & horror quite well. It's not scary & I didn't find it laugh out loud funny either but I'm sure many of you out there do/will. I like the laddish approach that the modern British male would barricade themselves in a pub & wait for it to blow over rather than head for the plush & sensible surroundings of a supermarket as seen in Dawn of the Dead (1978). There's some gore, someone is torn apart at the end, there are someone gunshot wounds to the head but little else worth mentioning.

With a supposed budget of about $4,000,000 Shaun of the Dead is well made although there isn't a great deal of style or flair to it. The acting is good & the cast make their character's pretty likable.

Shaun of the Dead is a decent fun homage to Romero's zombie films, to be brutally honest I'd rather see one of those again than this though. Worth a watch for sure but not as good as I'd hoped & I feel it's slightly overrated.

why is this movie getting good reviews???????

Author: Harsimran Singh Gill (ak56gill@gmail.com) from India
1 October 2010

I am completely nonplussed why this torture of a movie seems to be everyone's favorite. On top of that its inclusion in the top 250 is bloody outrageous, not once did I laugh or even crack a smile in this movie. On the other hand I was getting irate by the second watching all of 'em on a nonsensical plot. Simon Pegg was an unexpected nasty surprise in this movie as I did not expect that type of dull performance from the brilliant actor. And the way they handle the situation with his mom is absolutely rubbish.Poor, very poor. Go for zombieland which should take this one's place in the top 250. Oh and BTW so Titanic should be in the 250 too.

boring and not funny at all

Author: EchoMaRinE from Denmark
12 March 2010

OK, I am really not one of these 'the worst movie ever' gang member but this one was really bad, I mean it. I tried so hard to enjoy a little bit but I didn't smile even one time. I don't know how this movie can be rated 8 but first time in my life, I am giving such a confident 1 and if there was a chance to give something lover, I would. From the beginning to the end, it is so slow and the jokes are so bad. If you really want to watch it, fasten your seat belt not to escape screaming and drink one liter of coffee so that you don't sleep. It is not only the plot, the acting was bad as well. I didn't find the characters funny. Overall, bad, bad and plain bad.

Partly successful attempt to blend styles that are hard to blend.

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
28 November 2004

Okay, even though I surely don't regret having watched this film, I won't be joining the other reviewers around here who all claim it's a hilarious movie and/or the best horror comedy in decades. The intentions of cast and crew are good, there are plenty of good gags and the characters are likable but overall it feels like something is missing. It sure isn't obvious to mix a splatter-horror subgenre with comical situations so the premise of this 'Shaun of the Dead' doesn't work all the time. Nevertheless, there's enough ingeniousness and originality to make this a worthwhile film. The setting of a grey, banal London suburb with its typical inhabitants suits the story really well and the actors do their absolute best to provide this film with a human character. But it's not as hilarious as it looks and it's simply impossible to uphold a light-headed atmosphere when you're dealing with an apocalyptic theme. In case you're not familiar with the plot: 29-year-old Shaun is stuck in his monotonous life of dead-end job, nagging mother and lowlife roommate. His more ambitious girlfriend breaks up with him and just when he plans to make some serious changes to win her back, a mysterious disease resurrects the dead and turns the living into an endangered species. While the army of ravenous zombies keeps on growing, Shaun rescues his girl and some friends by bringing them to their favorite pub. Some of the gags (like when the gang learns to move like zombies in order to keep a low profile) are really good but the film is a bit too long and the drama eventually overrules the horror. Actually, the very best aspects in 'Shaun of the Dead' are the numerous references towards milestone zombie movies, but I fear these sublime findings are a bit lost on wider audiences. Shaun of the Dead brings homage to the Romero trilogy, The Evil Dead and many Italian classics. For true horror fans, it's a joy to track down all the subtle tributes. Overall, this gem sure is worth renting but the hype in enjoys at the moment is a bit unmerited.

Worst Labeled Comedy of 2004

Author: Joe Humphrey from United States
19 August 2013

Without a doubt "Shaun of the Dead" is one of the worst comedies (if not the worst) that hit the big screen in 2004. The characters of the film have IQ's all shy of 75. Every single one is borderline retarded. The zombies has more of a mental capacity than those of the living. I did not laugh nor so much as break a smile during this entire film. Anyone who has left a review that has stated that this movie is funny, you have been warned. The entire film takes place in about 2 locations, with very few movements along the way. I wasted over an hour of my life to watch this garbage.

Furthermore, I've browsed some of the reviews that have been previously written where some of you say that us "Americans" can't understand the "English" comedy due to various reasons. Trust me when I say that that isn't the problem here. The problem isn't the dialect, nor the fact that the film boasts primarily English actors. The problem with this movie is that the actors are all C class actors. The problem is that they all lack common sense/intelligence above and beyond the norm. The screenplay is down-right awful and it was just as pathetically acted. Poor acting, poorly written and poorly thought out = an extremely poor film.

There is no reason to watch this. You will not laugh, you will not smile. You will waste your time.

If you are looking for a good quality horror/comedy film. I suggest you watch "Tucker & Dale vs. Evil". That movie is without a doubt, hands down 10x better than this film here. I have yet to watch Zombieland, but would also be willing to go out on a limb and suggest that that film as well has got to be better.

Thanks for reading my review and I certainly hope you take it into consideration.

Do you know what the funniest part of the movie is?

Author: Angel Luna
20 June 2013

Please tell me cause i can't tell!

i can't believe the reviews saying that this was good, cause it wasn't! I really love zombie movies but this is just horrible. The jokes were awful, the situations were obvious and very predictable, and the story itself was really bad and stupid, the end is even worst. i think this is the worst zombie movie i've seen this year. Don't waste your time watching this, and don't let them make you think this is good. Please take my advice, keep yourself away from this thing.

by the way i didn't laugh Not even once

Angel Luna