IMDb > The Shaman (1987) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Shaman More at IMDbPro »

Complete garbage.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
24 March 2004

Members of a family succumb to the hypnotic spell of the Shaman as he searches for the one to inherit his powers.Only Paul is able to resist these forces of evil.However his desperate struggles lead him to oppose his best friend,the appointed successor."The Shaman" has to be one of the worst horror movies I have ever seen.The acting is completely awful and the script is beyond abysmal.The film is extremely obscure,but even undemanding lovers of trash cinema will be disappointed.A couple of bloody knife killings can't save this stupid mess.Avoid this piece of trash like the plague-you'll thank me later.My rating:2 out of 10 and that's being generous.Highly unrecommended.

oh man, this one is AWFUL!(*minor spoilers)

Author: EyeAskance from fabulous Las Vega$!
17 March 2004

Hooo-boy....THE SHAMAN. Yep. Okay...where do I start? There are SO MANY directions of completely hopeless ineptitude to be addressed here that it becomes difficult to dissect this steaming dish of fetid exudation for critical analysis. I suppose my first thrashing should be upon the actors, easily among the worst I've ever seen. EVERY line of the film is delivered without motivation by EVERYONE in the cast, many of them forgetting what they're supposed to say and stumbling over their words. Then there's the basic premise...or, rather, the absence of one. Somewhere along the way, it vaguely seems to involve a rural residential neighborhood being stalked by a tall guy in a trenchcoat. He aggrandizes ceaselessly about his awesome supernatural powers(and we'll just have to take his word for it...we see nothing of the sort) He also garbles-on about how he needs to find a "successor", and for this honor he chooses some random loser, God only knows for what reason. Before long, he appears to possibly have a few people under some kind of mind control...unless the acting just seemed unusually stilted at this point. I dunno. Then, During the last 15 minutes(which feels like years), people just run around from house to house pushing each other and breaking things, trying in feeble desperation to create an atmosphere of chaos and distress.

So...this is easily THE worst I've seen in quite a while, and will likely remain so. Cast includes Michael Conforti, now a writer for the long-running soap GENERAL HOSPITAL. The late Leonard Tepper(remember him?)is also featured.