IMDb > "Unplugged" Nirvana (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 23 of 112 Episodes | Next »

Cobain's Finest Hour.

Author: Michael Palmer (cobain4ever494@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles
9 July 2003

Kurt Cobain is my favorite musician, and Nirvana is my favorite band (as one might assume from my e-mail address). Therefore, one may think my review to be biased. But this performance was without a doubt the best done on MTV's Unplugged series, and the best done by the band itself. Kurt's harsh voice draws from you emotion and thought, while the guitars by both he and Pat Smear soothe you. Krist Noveselic does a great job, keeping the deeper tone, which we all love, and Dave Grohl is amazing. The first time--for me anyway--that he has been seen doing backup vocals, especially on All Apologies. Key moments: Kurt's solo take on Pennyroyal Tea, the musical opus at the end of Plateau (a Meatpuppets cover, I think), and the powerful movement in the final verse of Where Did You Sleep Last Night? (another cover, but of Ledbelly).

amazingly moving, the best unplugged show mtv has produced

Author: fallnangel709 from usa
12 March 2004

mtv unplugged's best show ever. everyone was wondering about it, though. would nirvana, the leaders of grunge (no matter how much kurt hated it) and one of the loudest, grittiest bands of the 90s, be able to play acoustic? take away the drowning out of drums and guitars?

of course.

honestly, what can be said about this performance that already hasn't been said? it was amazing to watch. i couldn't be pulled away from the screen and only wished that i could have seen it in person, really been there. but anyway, i loved how nirvana could strip away a lot of the noise that most of their songs are composed of (which i love) and get it down to the simple sound of acoustic guitars and quiet drums (which i love even more). kurt, as always, kept the audience's attention with his growling voice and emotional, and sometimes (most times) painful, looks on his face. i also enjoyed just watching him play his guitar since right now i'm learning how to myself.

the surprising part about this show was that you were expecting a lot of their biggest hits to be played, yet about half the time they were doing renditions of songs (very good renditions, i might add). they picked songs from the meatpuppets (who guest appeared), david bowie, and ledbelly. i'm so glad they decided not to do smells like teen spirit. i like the song, but it sounded a lot better without it.

favorite parts: rendition on The Man Who Sold The World (one of my favorite songs)

ending of Where Did You Sleep Last Night (geez, who didnt get chills?). the voice, the way he looked up at the audience for a split second before he ended the song (as someone on another mtv show said, that was kinda his "i'm done" look), the quiet sigh after that cry (that wasn't supposed to rhyme but i can't think of any other way to put it). it raises the hairs on your neck, i swear.

while someone's tuning a guitar: kurt says,"I thought we were a big, rich, rock band. We should have a whole bunch of extra guitars." (audience laughs)

solo performance of Pennyroyal Tea

at the beginning of The Man Who Sold The World kurt says, "I guarentee you i will screw this song up" and then when he's done he says in a happy, surprised voice "I didn't screw it up, did i?"

performance of plateau (i love the sound of his voice when he's trying to hit those notes)

None of those were in order. but yeah, basically the show was awesome and anyone who hasn't seen it definately should. even if your not the biggest nirvana fan, you'll enjoy it.

i rated it a 10.

All in all, it's all they were

Author: Gary170459 from Derby, UK
6 October 2007

In grunge Pearl Jam had 10, the Stone Temple Pilots had Core, Soundgarden had Superunknown and Nirvana had the classic Nevermind. On 18th November 1993 they recorded an Unplugged video for MTV which became, to my ears anyway, their best - and last – album in 1994.

It was just an acoustic concert showcasing some of singer Kurt Cobain's finest downbeat songs and a couple of downbeat covers. What of course made it so poignant was Cobain's apparent suicide 5 months later at 27 years old – MTV (when it used to play music) reflecting the trauma for a generation of kids ran the video every day for months … years! That generation has moved on and succeeding generations are as little moved by Nirvana as by the Beatles, so fast is fashion. It was a very relaxed professional set and showed an unknown side of the band to the world; highlights include About A Girl, Come As You Are, the sublime On A Plain, and of course the gravely enigmatic All Apologies – which became their unwitting epitaph. I wonder how Smells Like Teen Spirit would've sounded? Drummer Grohl moved on afterwards and surprised us all with the consistent success of the Foo Fighters, while bassist Novoselic went into rather desultory but well meaning politics.

Not everyone's cup of Pennyroyal tea of course, to me this excellent show sums up a musical era and I still watch/listen to it regularly.

The Greastest live performance of any Band in history.

Author: Directator from United States
19 February 2007

I was speechless when i first saw this. I had heard the album of the Unplugged show but i had never seen it. I have always been a big fan of Nirvana and I still believe that they are the greatest band that that have ever graced the earth. This shows that they are in fact worthy of that title.

Kurt Cobain sang his heart out and all the world watched. This show displayed all of his talents and all of his pain. This is the best "MTV Unplugged" and the best live performance of any band. I have already stated this but it's true. If you are a true Nirvana fan or you just have a deep understanding for music, this show put you in a state of awe. By the end you will have chills running down your spine and a few wells in your eyes.

The best of MTV Unplugged

Author: funkydoodycool from United Kingdom
18 November 2007

Who would believe that I'm only just sitting down to watch this show for the first time ever! I've had the CD since it came out all those years ago, and its got to be one of my most listened CDs.

Watching the live show now, it just adds an extra dimension to the music I already loved to death.

I write songs, and I've always been a believer in "if it doesn't sound good on an acoustic guitar, its not good at all". I write punk and hard rock songs... and this film shows exactly why that statement is true.

A must for all fans of music, especially those who denounced grunge (and most other rock for that matter)as "just a load of noise".