IMDb > A Dirty Shame (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One of Waters' worst.

Author: Conard Le Barbu Riant from Canada
12 April 2009

John Waters early work (until Polyester) made me a huge fan of his craziness. I usually adore his cast of freaky characters, his hyperbolic dialogues, his great music selection and his DIY attitude. Sure, in the eighties, he goes a little more mainstream, but that was OK, I guess. Ironically, his worst period is his comeback to his "bad taste" roots. Cecil B. Demented was painful and this one, A Dirty Shame, is plain stupid. So campy, I stopped the DVD many times, and until now, I still haven't finished watchin' it!!! A comedy too trash to please the usual family-comedy fans, and too dumb and childish to interest the others. It got enough ingredients to made a good film, but there's way too much cheese. Come on! Penis-shaped trees getting erected? CGI-squirrels having sex? Skip.

no thanks

Author: snrsnrsnrsnr from Germany
20 May 2006

when I read about this movie it sounded like it might be a little gem like Orgazmo (by Trey Parker). So I checked out the DVD. Unfortunately I found it to be embarrassingly bad. It started off pretty lame but left some hope for improvement at first. But I hoped in vain... Tracey Ullman hammed it up pretty badly, probably to make clear that nobody should take her role seriously. This gets quite annoying after a while. The plot gets dumber and dumber and after about half an hour my endurance was spent. I am aware that tastes are VERY different, but in my opinion this is one of the worst movies I have (partly) seen in a long time.

Dirty Waters

Author: NJMoon from United States
26 September 2004

I'm a follower of John Waters but this newest entry in the Baltimore auteur's canon is strictly for true blue fans - and even I kept thinking that his DVD commentary would be more interesting than the actual film. There are plenty of laughs in DIRTY, for sure. And Ullman is just as terrific as Kathleen Turner was in SERIAL MOM - hysterical! Johnny Knoxville and Chris Isaac do well, too. But half-way through the film, Waters abandons his well-cast characters in favor of a far-out concept that equates promiscuity with religious fervor. Therein lies the film's downfall. Ullman's personal plight (a concussion that causes her to become a sex fiend, much to the dismay of most of her family) is put on the back burner in favor of a larger canvas - just the same way that Cecil B. DeMented got lost in his kooky band of film misfits and shutterbug Pecker disappeared into the sycophantic New York art scene. The ultimate fadeout is confusing and unsatisfying but if you leave before the last half hour you might have time to rush to Blockbuster to rent DESPERATE LIVING, an earlier Waters cheapie that pushes many of the same buttons, but seems infinitely better.

Anarchic and Outrageously Silly, Weird and Funny

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 June 2007

In the suburb of Hartford Road, the middle-age Sylvia Stickles (Tracey Ullman) is a sexually repressed woman that hates sex. She refuses to have sex with her husband Vaughn Stickles (Chris Isaak) and locks her daughter with huge breasts and night-club dancer Caprice Stickles (Selma Blair) in her room, since she is in probation for moral attempt. Sylvia together with her mother Big Ethel (Suzanne Shepherd) lead a group that self-entitles neuter and promotes a decency rally. Sylvia accidentally hits her head on the floor, changes her sexual behavior and follows the sex addicted and sexual healer Ray Ray Perkins (Johnny Knoxville), becoming his twelfth apostle of sex in a journey of pleasure and orgasm.

"A Dirty Shame" is another anarchic and outrageously silly, weird and funny trash movie of John Waters. The non-sense story has many hilarious moments, supported by a great cast with the comedians Tracey Ullman and Johnny Knoxville and a surprisingly comical Selma Blair with her huge mammary glands. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Clube dos Pervertidos" ("Club of the Perverts")

A Dirty Shame is how bad a film this really is!

Author: SusiBiker from UK
14 September 2006

I very rarely write reviews, but having watched this film - it took four sittings - I felt I needed to warn others. There are no spoilers in this review. Why four sittings? I had no choice to finish the movie as I had it on my PMP and was recovering from an operation in hospital - it was all I had left to watch. I am a fan of Mr Knoxville, but after seeing this piece of disjointed, badly produced trash I am hard pushed to see how I can continue being so... Johhny! What were you thinking....? The money was not worth it!!! Chris Isaak does a good job of being a wooden husband to the grossly overrated Tracy Ullman, I'm hoping that this performance is a testament to his acting ability and is not just due to him being accurately cast in this role. Tracy Ullman, as usual, is awful. The woman cannot act and is basically unfunny. Anyone whoever watched the US versions of the Tracy Ullman Show has an inkling of what I am talking about - trust me, this is worse. Her acting and comedic range seems to consist of gurning at the camera while all the time trying to get over how "cute" she really is (NOT!).

Johnny Knoxville. What to say? I'd like to say that there was something redeeming in his portrayal of "Ray Ray Perkins", but frankly, there was nothing.

It almost seems that this movie set out to be a modern Rocky Horror, but without the opera aspect. There is decent enough music in the film, but it cannot rescue it from the dire script. This was a film that set out to make money from the Knoxville name, but got lost on the way. VERY LOST.

I'm known as a sucker for "Knob and Bott" jokes, especially visual ones, but these were beyond childish. This is the five-year-old's equivalent of seeing a banana and laughing "Look! It's a banana!" and then falling about laughing, but not knowing why. The writer could not begin to approach the cleverness of such classics as Beavis and Buthhead's "You said, 'Wiener', sounds like 'Wiener'" jokes!

This is pure Straight-To-Video dross. I had little choice but to watch it, I'm trying to save you a piece of your life that you can NEVER recover. Don't waste your time. Life is just too short.

And I thought that I had seen it all...

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
4 July 2005

Really, I thought that I had seen it all when I saw movies like "Freddy Got Fingered", "The Nutty Professor 2" and all those teenage comedies full of toilet humor and humor about other bodily functions. But nothing could prepare me for what I was going to see in this movie. Boundaries are to be broken, but sometimes it can go too far, even for me. And how do you know when it is all getting too much for the normal, even liberal, thinking person? Well, when you go to the cinema, find 2/3 of the seats empty and, before the movie is half, see more than half of the viewers leave the room before the movie has ended...

Talking about the story will not take very long, because there just isn't much of a story to be found in this movie. In an ordinary conservative town, the sex-addicts are taking over and Sylvia Stickles, a grumpy, repressed middle-aged woman who hates sex, doesn't like it a bit. She already has problems enough with keeping her husband away from her and keeping her daughter Caprice locked in her room. Caprice is an exhibitionist go-go dancer who goes by the name Ursula Udders and who is very popular by bikers. But when Sylvia is hit on the head during an accident and suffers from a concussion, she all a sudden turns into a sex-addict herself. The sexy tow-truck driver Ray-Ray Perkins rushes to her aid and Sylvia soon realizes that he is no ordinary service man, but a sexual healer...

If you are already offended by a naked breast in a movie, than you certainly shouldn't watch this one, because it will probably give you a heart attack from the first minutes on. This movie has only one theme and that is sex, sex and some more sex. Sex with all its variations and weird fascinations and incredibly weird characters. Or would you call a girl that goes by the name Ursula Udders and who has bigger breasts than you will ever have seen in your life, normal? She makes Lolo Ferrari look like a chest-less young girl (for those who are interested, Ferrari was an 'actress' who was only (in)famous for her really gigantic breasts). The same for other characters like Fat F*ck Frank, Papa and Mama Bear (fat and hairy gay men), a policeman who likes to behave like a baby, someone who has a dirt fetish,... you really can't think of anything that isn't in the movie...

Of course I already had an idea of what to expect. When you know that Johnny Knoxville plays an 'important' role in this movie, you just know that you can't expect much quality. But the quality of this movie was even lower than I could ever expect. In my opinion there is only one good thing about it: it kicks so incredibly hard against the shins of conservative America that I doubt they will ever be able to walk again. I'm not saying that I liked the movie, but it was all too obvious that this movie was made to shock the puritans and I don't think they could have done a 'better' job than with this movie. That's also the only reason why I don't give this movie a 1/10 but a 4/10.

R-rated version is a total rip-off. I don't know about the NC-17 one.

Author: Billie from United States
22 June 2005

I rented and watched the R-rated version of John Waters' "A Dirty Shame" today (the NC-17 version wasn't carried at the rental store), and ended up feeling let down and ripped-off. A lot of the language was censored/dubbed (!?! In a John Waters film!?!) to make an R-rated version that looked more like a G version; I think it could be shown on TV as is! The R version is called the "Neuter Version", and Waters authorized this watered-down film. Why? Starring Tracey Ullman, Johnny Knoxville, Selma Blair, Chris Isaak, and Mink Stole, and with this description on the rental box from Blockuster: "When a head injury awakens Sylvia Stickles' long-dormant sexual urges, the entire town gets caught up in the conflict between decency and depravity", and knowing it's a John Waters film, I figured it would be great! Wrong. It wasn't even funny, except for a few of Ullman's and Blair's moments, and the censoring and dubbing of even the blandest nudity and profanity was completely distracting and annoying. I felt as if I were watching a regular edited-for-TV movie! I hope the NC-17 rated version is better, but I guess the video store won't be carrying it. And since I've been hoodwinked by this ridiculous rental version, I don't plan to go to the trouble and expense to see the NC-17 version. And this disappointing film just makes me want to pull out our copy of 1994's "Serial Mom" and watch over and over the scene with Kathleen Turner letting loose with her hilarious phone call.

The only reason this film deserves even one star is because of Tracey Ullman's great no-holds-barred performance, particularly in the scene in which she does the Hokey Pokey in an old folks' home.

Well what can I say?

Author: alan-grieve from Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 June 2005

Well what can I say? Any film that's closing sequence involves someone getting concussed by a falling piece of David Hasselhoffs turd from an aeroplane has got to be terrible - and indeed this is.

I have not seen such a bad movie since Batman & Robin. There were 13 people in the screen with me, and 7 of them left after about 15 minutes. I stayed on to give the film a fair chance but it got even worse.

Sure, this is not meant to be a serious movie, but it is beyond ridiculous. It's not the dirty content, or even the very crude humour, more the fact that it is just really crap.

I strongly advise anyone against going to see this movie.

Not great

Author: Max Crack from United Kingdom
12 May 2005

Oooh dear, this really isn't very good, is it. Did someone use that old cliché, "return to form"? I think not. I'd heard that "Dirty Shame" was going straight to video in the UK, but it has actually gotten what studios call a "limited theatrical release". This is what sometimes happens when they realise they've got a turkey on their hands, but one that might make a few bucks with a "cult" audience: they slip it out quietly to a handful of cinemas and forget to advertise it. So this latest John Waters movie gets a week on two screens in London and no publicity. And boy can I see why. Sqwark! Yep. You got it. Bernard Matthews Turkey Farms would be proud.

Now that Waters has finally hit Broadway mainstream with the hit "Hairspray" show, and can get his movies bankrolled by Time Warner, nobody expects him to still make'em as if they starred Divine, but this one I'm afraid is really feeble. The plot,such as it is, could be considered a (well-deserved, IMO) poke at the "new puritanism" currently running rife in the US. Prudes vs. perceived "perverts", that kind of thing. Plenty of mileage for satire there then! At least, you'd think so. For the first twenty minutes here, whilst the characters are being introduced, the film shows promise, but after that, it's as if Waters changed his mind and decided to ditch any attempt at storyline and just go for gross-out to get some easy laughs. Trouble is, there aren't many. The material is weak, and although the actors do their best, it's just embarrassing. The same situations get recycled over and over as the film confusedly grinds on; there's an incomprehensible religious subplot and the whole last section of the film is one gigantic outdoors rave-up that might be intended to be a homage to the old zombie movies, "Night of the Living Dead" et al, but really just had me checking my watch and wondering if the end was in sight. I'd lost track of what was supposed to be going on at all by the time of the welcome climax (literally) and phew, I thought, now we can all leave.

Good points: it's faithfully shot in Baltimore; it uses a lot of real locations and there are cameos from several of the surviving Dreamlanders. There are a few funny lines, and snatches of some good tunes on the soundtrack, and the Candice Stickles daughter character with the inflatable bazoomers (stolen straight out of a Russ Meyer movie) is a fun character. But that's about all I could find to like here. Not recommended. Go see "Female Trouble" again instead. No tacky animated squirrels in that one, either. Beat it, hon.

5 Stars, Very Funny

Author: ssizemore13 from Baltimore, MD
14 September 2004

Being a lucky one that happens to live in Baltimore, I was able to attend the US Premiere of "A Dirty Shame". What a night, most of the stars were there, notable by not being there, Tracy Ulman and Chris Issac. The theater was sold out. I admit I might be somewhat biased because a good friend of ours plays Loose Linda in the film and has what may become the most copied line in the movie, "Hey, who wants to f**k me". If you are a pervert, and like a movie that is only about one thing, sex, you are going to love this movie. Plenty of full frontal nudity and talk about just about every perversion there is. This is my kind of movie.....lol. We had a very good time at the movie and afterwards at the party. A very enjoyable night out.

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]