IMDb > Ben & Arthur (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ben & Arthur

Ben & Arthur More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title more than 2.3.
Reviews from users who voted this title more than 2.3.
Index 7 matching reviews (53 reviews in total)

RE: Plan 9 from WeHo

Author: rossco-3 (rosscompose@hotmail.com) from Southern California
25 April 2009

Not since Ed Wood, Jr.......

I wanted this comment to be a terse one-liner (above) but IMDb says I must have a minimum of 10 lines of text.

But what can you say about this film that has not already been said?

If there's an (overtly) gay Plan 9 from Outer Space, this is it.

You could also mention the palm trees in the Vermont wedding scene.

The several scenes where the camera just keeps rolling even when everyone has left the frame.

The incredible garishly lit "set" for the priest's office and the ensuing expressionistic camera angles.

The cameos of the cats in villain's apartment.

The director/star's audacious nude scene, but maybe that's best forgotten.... (Not since Divine.....)

The hysterical staging of the final "shock" ending.

In about 50 years this may off the "Bottom 100" (!) and right up there with Glenn or Glenda....

I could go on, but I think I've covered my 10 lines. (And I didn't even SHOUT).

The new Romeo and Juliet

Author: nice_nice_jedi from United States
23 October 2008

(Sigh)! Ben and Arthur. Where do I begin? Just what is it about this classic that never fails to give a life changing experience every time you view it? The Oscar worthy script? The heart wrenching performances? The glorious cinematography? And talk about hot guys! Ben and Arthur, the star crossed lovers, not only play their parts so dramatically they put Charlton Heston and Marlon Brando to shame, but they are not hard on the eyes either! The tear jerking storyline ends of course in inevitable tragedy. You'll need tissues for this movie. Might not want to let your kids see it either. Our hero, the dashing Arthur Sailes, is murdered by his own brother, before our very eyes! May as well just grab the whole box of tissues. To make a long story short, this movie is a breathtaker.

quick remarkable

Author: anewworldofhoney80 from United States
30 April 2007

This movie inspired me to be an advocate for gay marriage. It's funny, this movie came out back in 2002 but I'm just hearing of it now. I think although the movie had a sad ending, the idea was really good in terms of how society really treats the whole gay marriage idea. I didn't even personally know gays could not get married in the US, I"m only 22 years old, and when I saw this movie, I finally realized how far we have to go to get to full equality. This movie really makes me mad how far behind we are in society with gay rights, but the movie is right, religion does not help our cause either for rights. Anyone who is gay and religious is retarted! The two just don't mix, and Sam Mraovich seemed to get that point across good. I even heard a preacher say seeing 5 gays dying of AIDS on TV is better then watching Gay Eye for the Straight Guy.

great idea

Author: dreamsdocometrue85 from London
6 May 2007

This film I got over E-Bay and I first heard about it in an interview while visiting America in the Advocate they did with Sam Mraovich. The film lived up to what I thought it would be about. I hope the US will allow gays the right to get married soon because over here in England it will be celebrated once the US comes up to date with the times. Over here in England, a gay man can serve openly in the armed forces. I don't understand why the US is so concerned about something like that. One day, I'm sure it will be changed, who know how long though? In our lives, maybe, maybe not. I would say this film is close to a political statement as ever. It for sure does not make the commercial film list. You have to be ready for a huge "punch" when watching this film Sam Mraovich wrote and directed.

This was a remarkable film!

Author: vim8465 from Los Angeles, USA
17 May 2003

Wow! What can I say? This is truly an amazing film! What a shock of an ending! The story was very well written and kept me wanting to know more and more! That guy Sam Mraovich really put a lot of work into it and it really showed! You don't see movies like that anymore where one person has all the say in every aspect. That's probably one reason it was good cause you didn't have too many people trying to put their needless two cents in! I can't believe the ending though. Wow! That took me by surprise! I'm amazed how the director found a way to get a digital film projected onto the screen at the Sunset 5 Theatre on Sunset Blvd. Great sound too for an independent!

Hilarious and enjoyable... if you like these kinds of movies

Author: jkashins from United States
29 April 2012

First thing I want to say that it is enjoyable as long as you know what you're getting into. It's a bad movie, the acting is horrendous, the sound quality is actually the worst I've seen (within the same scene there are weird audio changes that has background noise then no background noise which leads one to believe they are in the vacuum of space... seriously), the editing is terrible, and the writing is atrocious. However, it ends up being a great combination. It is so bad it becomes amazing whether it be the scene in which his metro sexual hardcore Christian brother who loves cats (not joking) attempts to convert him using a (and this is a direct quote) "secret holy water recipe". While the message has some merit (gay people should be allowed to marry anywhere and anybody who disagrees is a poopy faced meanie head). If it had any sense of reality the story might have been somewhat watchable but not here. Honestly I must say that one should watch Obscurus Lupa's video on it (It's on thatguywiththeglasses.com) as it has the funniest parts of the movie expressed in the best details. I believe this movie should be viewed by film students to learn how not to make a movie with a message. It's fantastically terrible and if one likes these movies it's a must see, same for film students, but at the same time casual audiences will HATE this movie.

The film is original.

Author: Josh Weinman (jlw33) from United States/Los Angeles, Ca
22 May 2003

Contains Spoilers! The film Ben and Arthur, directed and written by Sam Mraovich, is an original and surprising love story. In the film, Arthur's brother tries to get him to deny his homosexuality and start going to church and accept Christ into his life. Arthur and Ben go to Hawaii to get married. When they get back to Los Angeles, Arthur's brother hires a hitman to kill Ben. He has been thrown out of the church for having a homosexual family member. The attempt to kill Ben fails. Arthur's brother then tries to kill Ben himself. He shoots Ben while Arthur pleads for his life. This is a summary of the film. I enjoyed the first third of Ben and Arthur. I thought that the wedding scene felt authentic. It is a great scene. There are also some funny moments that I enjoyed. I think that the relationship between Arthur and his brother is a good conflict. Both of them have a few real dramatic scenes. I think that the actor that played Arthur's brother gave a honest and believable performance. Mraovich, who portrayed Arthur, did a nice job of playing a sympathetic, strong character. The problem with the film is the last half. After the scene where Ben is killed, Arthur starts to seduce his brother. There is no reason I can think of for him to do that. Why does Arthur behave that way? His brother killed Ben, the love of his life. Then his brother passed out. Instead of calling the police, there is a scene that shows Arthur trying to seduce him. I do not think this scene belongs in the film. It is anticlimactic. That concludes my review of Ben and Arthur. I want to congradulate Mraovich on his first film. Josh Weinman