IMDb > "NCIS" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"NCIS" More at IMDbPro »"NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service" (original title)

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Keeps getting better

Author: wmelick from San Francisco, California
8 June 2004

This has become my favorite regular show on the main networks. The stories are good enough to keep me watching and the character interplay can be quite amusing at times. Gibbs is great...watching the others react to him makes me chuckle. Abby is perfectly believable, despite the goth overtones...she is strong, smart, yet still sexy and feminine. I think Pauley Perette was the ideal actress to cast. The writing seems to continue at an even keel...if nothing else getting better as more episodes are shown. I think the producers have a hit here. I go back each week. Definitely worth your time...even if it means taping or tivo'ing it (which I do)...something to look forward to when I can't make 8:00 on Tuesday.

Love the show

Author: katesgram2000 from USA
16 March 2004

At first when my husband would watch this show I wasn't really paying much attention and I would see this goth girl in the lab and think "what on earth is THAT?!?!?!" Then, one night I sat and watched along with him and now I am totally hooked. Mark Harmon's character appears to be annoyed sometimes by the other characters actions etc. but you get the feeling he really likes his coworkers. I like David McCallum's character and the way they tease him about going on and on. I get the feeling he knows they really do like him but his stories just get to be too much for them and he understands. My favorite though is Pauley Perrette's character. She is just a lot of fun. I hope the show stays on a long time- Tuesday nights wouldn't be the same with out it.

Easily one of the best shows on Television today, Suspenseful, Humorous and Riveting-Can't Miss TV!

Author: JTBWRITER from Arcadia, California
16 June 2004

Easily one of the best shows on television today, suspenseful, humorous and real-not always pleasant or formulaic-but real! Just when I think Bellesario has gone too far in the "lets screw up Jag" sweepstakes (ok-2 episodes this year were actually good-the rest-terrible!)-he redeems himself with a show that is riveting, timely and funny at the right times!

The casting, the writing, the overall look of the show is first class! Starting at the top with Mark Harmon, the sexiest man on TV-he also sets the tone with his right on portrayal of the most conflicted man on TV today! His obsession with Ari (the terrorist), his list of rules, then his tendency to think out of the box just adds to the spice and pace of this show. (Plus his constant dueling with DiNozzo-priceless!)

An added plus is the inter meshing of the cast-David McCallum-funny, urbane- so hot! His stories are hysterical, then his sad commentary on the life or death of their latest subject-just gives you pause. His diatribe on the terrorist and what he did to his assistant alone is Emmy award stuff-don't mess with Ducky ever again! Then we have the reason for Rule 12-Special Agent Catlin Todd-the writers don't always have a clue as to her portrayal but she always pulls it off (and that humor of hers-the end lines alone are great!) I have to disagree as to the chemistry with Gibbs/Kate-it's there all right-hopefully we get to see something come of it in Season 2! The actors portraying Abby and DiNozzo-Pauly Perrette and Michael Weatherly are hysterical, yet right on in their portrayals-especially when DiNozzo thinks with his hormones and not with his brain-then turns around and saves the day-this show is a keeper! I can hardly wait for season 2!

Awesome

Author: twylyght86 (twylyght86@hotmail.com) from Pennsylvania, USA
7 December 2004

When the show first started out it was a little shaky, but since then has grown into its own. The characters are believable, both annoying and enchanting, and the plots are wonderful. There's a depth and a comradeship that isn't often showed this well in television. It isn't forced or faked; it's entirely true to life and believable.

The underlying sexual tension between several of the characters is also intriguing and interesting to watch, the most obvious of these being the relationship between Tony and Kate, but there's also hints at Kate and Gibbs, McGee and Abby, and so on. It's a crime drama that's both serious and light-hearted, and a wonderful show for anyone who likes fascinating stories, good humor, and great character interaction.

So much better than its parent show

Author: Jeff Cross from Marblehead, MA, USA
29 November 2003

Finally Bellisario got it right. Gibbs and his gang are first and foremost investigators, not hoity-toity staff officers who moonlight as stereotyped combat soldiers with thickly-laid-on patriotic dogma that would make Ward Carroll vomit with rage. At no time do they ever try to borrow an F-14 to go on some bombing raid over the international hot spot du semaine; they stick to their job descriptions the whole time. They also have personalities and eccentricities that make them a better ridealong than overstarched Harmless Rabbit and whatever babe he happens to be working with this season, such as Gibbs' coffee addiction, Ducky's intellectual ramblings, DiNozzo's attempts at being a cool womanizer, Abby's interesting blend of science nerd and goth grrrl, and Kate as the token vaguely normal neophyte thrown into the mix. Too bad this couldn't have been done with JAG in the first place.

Time flies when you're enjoying yourself …

Author: shellemk from Milton Keynes, England
23 September 2004

… and each episode speeds along all too quickly! I LOVE this show…! What is there NOT to like? Rich story lines, strongly portrayed (and very human) personalities you can really warm to who play off each other brilliantly, all with their own distinctive quirks and – above all – the always wonderful Mark Harmon as main character! What more could you ask for in a show?! There's not a single character I'd change – none that irritate – they're all excellent. I consider it a bonus that it's the one thing on TV that all our family equally enjoy for different reasons. Even my father-in-law likes this and we normally have totally different viewing preferences! I was delighted when I heard that there was a second series imminent. Only problem is that living in England, who knows how long after it's shown in the US we'll get to see it! Fortunately it's worth the wait!

Abby makes the show

Author: Gomezy3k from United States
20 April 2004

The character Abby is great and funny... She makes the whole show as far as I am concerned. I just wish she was more of a main character and they had her onscreen more... This is the first show where a Goth type character is shown as something more than some wierdo to be avoided. I wish more shows would do the same. The rest of the cast is ok...and the show has its moments. Not quite as intense as the other CIS shows but maybe that's why I like it. While the other shows seem so serious, NCIS adds humor (especially as mentioned above with the Goth Abby) which makes it great. David McCallum is an excellant actor and helps to make the show with his "Semi-absent minded professor" style where he seems to get off on tangents while explaining things. I hope they keep this show on the air...it is one of my favorites.

Great New Series on TV this season+

Author: Melissa MacKenzie from Canada
19 January 2004

This is a great series to watch. I have been hooked on this show since the beginning because I love watching mysteries and crime like CSI and CSI Miami. Harmon's so sexy in this role and McCallum is always a joy to watch as Ducky especially when he's on the role over various anthropology lectures which to my amusement everyone on that shows roll up their eyeballs.

Still going strong

Author: wmelick from San Francisco, California
10 May 2005

I've written about this show before on IMDb --- but here I am months later in May 2005 and yet it still continues to be impressive. There have been a few shows that were "bleh" in the last season but the "SWAK" episode tonight really got a few great moments of emotion between the cast members. The writers (at least to me) were able to pull off the "suspended disbelief" and I got pulled into the moment as DiNozzo was about to kick the bucket. I sure hope they keep most of the cast in the next season, as they seem to play off each other brilliantly. The only cast member I could see losing (according to the season finale preview, they lose an NCIS agent) is McGee. He's great and believable for his role, but any of the others lost as regulars on the show would break down the core character interplay. The McGee character could be replaced...but the others would be much more difficult. But then again I guess this is all decided and in the can...we'll find out on May 24th. My comments to other viewers that have commented on the reality of the series --- yeah, it's not the real life NCIS at all. But real life would be mind-numbingly boring to fit in 60 minute TV show. You'd need the constant buzz of fluorescent lights in the background combined with pages and pages of forms being typed into the computer --- mostly about drug abuses by young 18 year olds. This is TV drama and a fabricated fiction. I appreciate the nod Bellesario gives to NCIS and like the show for the entertainment it is. Real life NCIS isn't a fun job, but we get an hour on Tuesday night to pretend it is.

Navy's Finest Are Top-Notch

Author: marcus_stokes2000 from Italy
4 September 2006

*SPOILERS NCIS* The NCIS (Navy Criminal Investigative Service) is a service that investigates on any kind of crime, from barroom brawls to international terrorism, that involves men and women from the Navy or Marine Corps.

The team is formed by: Leroy Jethro Gibbs (the second B stays for Bastard) (Mark Harmon), the moody, intuitive head investigator; he likes his coffee very strong, his women with red hair, and his investigations thorough. It is rare to get a compliment for him; when you get one, don't ask why. He is very loyal, and actually cares for his team, but has problems with women (evidence of this being three failed weddings).

Anthony DiNozzo (Michael Weatherly), Gibbs' 2IC; a smartmouth, player to the soul and proud of it, who masks his quick mind and powerful intuition with a happy-go-lucky (and sometimes obnoxious) attitude. Sometimes he can behave in quite the juvenile way, and when he is, a good headslap by Gibbs will help him put things straight (this two have also what could possibly be the strongest homosexual subtext - more of an almost-text - in TV History). He enjoys to torment someone, usually the newest element of the team. Dearly departed Special Agent Kate Todd (more later) and Special Agent Tim McGee (more later) have suffered the brunt of that in various occasions. Comes from money, but doesn't get an allowance because if he did, he wouldn't work, and it seems there is bad blood between him and his family. He has a deep love of movies and TV Shows (one of his favorites is 'Ozzy And Harriet'), and referred to movie-acquired knowledge various times.

Kate Todd (Sasha Alexander), killed in the Season 2 Finale, who came from Secret Service, and made a point of bringing it up whenever the occasion presented itself, and came off as quite the uptight girl; all in all, the weakest character in the show, though her witty 'Hepburn-Tracy' rapid-fire dialogues with DiNozzo were great, and she had with him the strongest hetero almost-text this side of Gil Grissom and Catherine Willows.

Abby Sciuto (Pauley Perrette) a perky Goth (not as oxymorous as it sounds) who has an imprecise number of tattoos on her body and is the greatest at her job. She loves to hear techno or hard rock music (like Android Lust) played at a very loud volume while working. She is the only person in the team Gibbs actually shows affection for, and she is currently dating Special Agent Tim McGee (more later).

Tim McGee (Sean Murray), who joined the team in the second season after making various guest-appearances throughout the first season. Tim is a computer whiz, but is at a loss when it comes to social life; has gotten a tattoo on his butt to impress Sciuto - and it worked. Has been mercilessly teased by DiNozzo when he first joined the team, getting the absolutely-not-flattering nickname 'Probie' ('Pivello' ('Greenhorn') in the Italian Version). He has proved his valor, though, time and time again.

And last but not least, Donald 'Ducky' Mallard (David McCallum), the ME, who has two curious habits; one, to talk to the corpses he is going to autopsy, and the other, to go off on tales that are very loosely related to the case in question. He likes the music Abby plays, but not distorted by speakers, lives with his mother, who, wearing only Chanel N°5 when she goes to bed, hosts very awkward slumber parties and has various dogs, he is the one who has worked the longest with Gibbs and looked like 'Ilya Kuryakin' when he was younger.

This is the team (I'm not talking about Ziva and Madame Director because I have yet to see Season 3), and my suggestion is to watch them in action, every Tuesday, 8/7 central, on CBS.

You won't be disappointed.

NCIS: 9/10.