IMDb > "Murder City" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Murder City" More at IMDbPro »

About Murder City

Author: MadEmpress from Netherlands
20 March 2005

Not only do the two leading actors have a sort of …rare chemistry (not in a romantic way, but they just click really well together), the murder mysteries are fantastic and the outcome is revealed only in the last minutes of the show. They keep you guessing and on your toes.

It's not as sensationalistic as most of the American cop shows; Murder City leans heavily on a good plot instead of action packed sequences. Amanda Donahoe is great as Susan Alembic; witty, very determined and also down to earth, whereas Kris Marshall provides comical relief as well as an interesting perspective on...... just about everything. To conclude; in my opinion, this is another great British cop show.

Murder city Beats them all!!

Author: stana_boj from no
4 May 2005

Murder city is the best crime show that Australia has ever shown. Thank you channel seven. It began at 11.00pm every Saturday. I did not miss one episode even though it was on quite late. That is how much I LOVED this show.

Kris Marshall's character, Luke stone, is very well acted. He is an unique and very talented actor. Before watching Murder City i had never heard of Kris, even though i watched Doctor Zhivago (great movie) but after watching this show he was up with my favorite actors such as Edward Norton and Paul Neumann.

This show is not a typical American(not that some of them are not good) crime show but a unique, REALISTC and very informative series. While in some situations the mood of the show may be depressing, just like in any crime show, it is also very funny, unlike other shows.

Unfortunately, the show is not on anymore. It was just stopped at once without a reason or warning. So please put it back on!!!!!

Murder In The City, Very Good!

Author: gallant-girl9 from United Kingdom
18 March 2005

I am amazed at the comment by Mr.Asher as to Kris Marshall not being a good "serious" actor!, I completely disagree as anyone who saw Kris in "The Four Feathers" saw just how Excellent an actor he is!. Murder In The City I really enjoyed, though I think that Amanda Donohue's character was far too serious a role, and that this kind of series does better with a lot of outside action shots. Kris Marshall is a very sexy man and should be given a part where we see more of Kris as himself, as for humour? its the hardest role to play... So a sexy, exciting and at times humorous role for Kris Marshall would be right up his street and played to perfection!. Keep up the Grrreat work Kris!.

Hilary Hawkins.

Murder City a hit with this American girl

Author: WickedGame66 from United States
15 September 2006

I find Murder City a very refreshing take on a crime drama. Right now, we have 3 different CSI's, among about 10 other crime shows on television at any given night, I have a hard time telling them apart. I agree that the interesting chemistry the lead characters have, not romantic, just that they really work well together, and it is actually believable that they would be working cases together.

Also, kudos to Kris Marshall, I am a huge fan of his work, My Family is on of my very favorite shows, when I saw that he was staring in this series, I knew I had to check it out. Now I'm hooked.

I love this 'smart' approach to a crime drama!!

Above decent murder mystery series

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
7 June 2010

I don't think it is the best ever murder mystery series I have seen, this is coming from someone who loves Inspector Morse, A Touch of Frost and Agatha Christie: Poirot. While not as good as the above titles, Murder City was interesting and actually above decent. There may be some draggy parts once in a while and in my opinion, this series should have lasted longer, but the story lines were suspenseful and gripping, and the writing was excellent. The series visually is very stylish, and the music is good. And I for one liked the acting, Amanda Donahoe is wonderful as always and Kris Marshall is delightful in his well-written role. I also really enjoyed the chemistry between the two. Overall, a very well done if short lived series. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Feeble

Author: sola-5 from UK
27 April 2006

I had the misfortune to catch the latest episode of this show. I'm a regular viewer of TV crime shows but had never seen this. I was lucky.

Feeble in every department. It looks like it was shot through a filter of soup, the script was terrible - the story was hackneyed, psychologically inconsistent, and dull, the acting was weak. Kris Marshall is particularly unconvincing and looks uncomfortable in the role, even though this is the second series. The world the characters inhabit is a collection of watered down lifts from other shows (the light box they use to view photographs a typical example, ripping off the transparent boards from Waking the Dead to considerably less effect and impact).

Will go out of my way to avoid future episodes.

Awful-awful

Author: david-asher82 from Lincoln
28 March 2004

Taking a sip of my tea and sitting down to a pleasant evening watching. I happened upon on this commercial telly trite called 'murder city'. It is an interesting enough premise. Two mismatched detectives solve crimes (played by kris marshall and the simply divine amanda donohue), but it is one that has been done to death. (Morse and Lewis, Dazail and pascoe, frost and whoever he works with). Kris Marshall does not make a very good serious actor (i.e dr zhivago, the acting is just passable and the timing of the ad-ribs is erratic. This is not 'my family', so Marshall does not have to subject the audience to his usual nick goofiness routine.

As a serious murder program its the worst since the last ITV murder investigation, but as a piece of harmless ham, its perfect.