IMDb > "Las Vegas" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Las Vegas"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Las Vegas" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Great show! Fun and fast paced

Author: pannpost from Brisbane Australia
28 June 2004

The actors have all been very well chosen for their roles and it's pretty obvious the age range the producers are predominantly appealing to. But as an approaching 50, I still think it's excellent entertainment. The fast finger snapping pace that all the shows are coming out with these days keeps the tension and the viewer gets so caught up in the pace that any gaffs or gaps in the plot are easily ignored.

If I had any criticism at all, it would be that Nikki Cox is a little too well endowed to trust all that cleavage to the benevolence of gravity.

I hope the show runs for a long time to come.

Best New TV Series of 2003

Author: karenhasfreedom from Austin, TX
21 May 2004

This is the best new TV series released to the networks for the 2003 season.

The writing is interesting, characters got developed this season, plot lines were intriguing, and there was comic relief. Check out this show if you have not already seen it on Monday nites.

What I like best about this series is Josh Dahumel. Not only is he eye candy but a good actor, he is fun to watch and you find yourself engrossed in the show. Apparently they have built an elaborate set in Culver City to film some of these scenes, but you can't tell the real shots from the studio shots. They do a good job masking the transition when they show panorama shots of Vegas itself. I often wonder when I view this show, how big their budget is for extras because they do a good job emulating a big casino. This series is strictly entertainment and as long as your expectations are not as lofty as the other reviewer, you will not be disappointed.

Slow starting...but addicting

Author: nolette24 from Orlando, FL
27 July 2004

I absolutely love "Las Vegas!" The fast-paced workings of a casino is very exciting, even if at the beginning the story lines were a tad trite. For me, it was Josh Duhamel's star quality that kept me enthralled with this show. I was disappointed to not see more of a storyline for Vanessa Marcil's character, Sam. It's obvious that Ed Deline, played by James Caan, is the star of the show, and Cheryl Ladd's guest spots as his wife are always fabulous. I'd like to see more character development, and more stories that take you through the whole season instead of being wrapped up in one episode. It would also be great if they could bring another guy in, like Danny, to spice up the possibilities for the girls. The team work and star power on this show is amazing. I can't wait to find out what happens this season when Danny comes back from Iraq... will he finally figure out that he should be with Mary? By the end of Season One I was as hooked as I am to "Alias." All I can say is that if you give this show one episode's worth of a chance you will find yourself hooked.

One of the best, high-paced, fast-moving shows i've ever seen

Author: kiser_szua from United States
17 October 2005

I love this show! It is easily the most enjoyable hour of my week. I love it for the high-paced, fast-moving action in which it contains. I love the way it gives a large overview of the state of Las Vegas and how casino floors really operate. The cast is exquisite and full of talent. How can a show not be great with James Caan leading the cast each week? Yet, the best thing about the cast is he doesn't have to carry the show either. While his acting is supreme, he is aided by the talents of his co-stars. Las Vegas has a different storyline each week and keeps the viewer guessing as to what will be the ending in each episode. The camera use is magnificent with the use of fast-motion that really draws the viewer into what is actually happening. A great TV show to watch either by yourself or with friends and family. 10/10

A solid, mindless guilty pleasure set apart by it's fast pace and a giddy shamelessness

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
3 January 2005

Network: NBC; Genre: Guilty Pleasure/Drama; Content Rating: TV-14 (for violence and some sexual content); Classification: Contemporary (Star range: 1 - 4);

Season Reviewed: Seasons 3+

When dividing genres into sub-genres you come up with all sorts of interesting combinations of show gimmicks. We have shows differentiated by a movie star actor in the lead role, the time period they are set in and now, with "Las Vegas", the city in which it is set. You could call it a locational show. It later continues with the short-lived "Hawaii" and the misbegotten "LAX". Created by Gary Scott Thompson, "Las Vegas" takes us on a cathartic trip to that exotic city in the sand.

Despite the promos touting the star of the show is being the city itself, "Vegas" is set almost entirely in the walls and grounds of the Montecito casino centering around the head of security (James Caan), security agents (Josh Duhamel and James Lesher) and the event coordinators dealing with wacky guests and packed conventions. The team is often found using some microscopic gadgets and wild "CSI" techniques to spot cheaters, chasing down and/or beating up thugs, stripping off their clothes at the drop of a hat or lounging by the pool.

If you want to think while watching TV you will probably be repelled by the tedium before the halfway mark. "Las Vegas" isn't particularly dramatic, or exciting or humorous. It just is. It runs on the "Baywatch" engine, actually. It is a light and sound show. Anyone could do it. It's fluid digital effects are a notch cheaper than the state-of-the-art "CSI". They recall Thompson's equally vacuous film "The Fast and the Furious".

Yet, the show presents itself without a sense of self-importance. It has the giddy shamelessness of a pubescent teenager that hasn't yet discovered premium cable. Ironically, that is what sets it apart. Unlike the dull-as-dirt lifeguard exploits of that former series, "Vegas" is a lot less conversation and a lot more action. So to speak. The stories are absurd, self-contained and gimmicky. "Boston Public" absurd. While it doesn't evoke an emotion it is light-weight enough, goofy enough and (as cliché as it may sound) sexy enough to work as a solid guilty pleasure. It is the perfect show for those that want something to sit and let their eyes glaze over at after a long day at work. The Monday night time-slot suits it to a T.

The show still has those network mandated restraints that pull us in but quickly leave us unsatisfied. Watching it you'll just have to get used to the fact that this is another one of those shows where two people in the throws of passion are always going to be interrupted by someone walking in on them or one of them having a substantive revelation about the plot. If the stories where more compelling I wouldn't mind, but as it is that pesky plot is always getting in the way. To often, the show lazily brings in an obvious musical guest star to take over the closing duties with a concert (such as Mark McGrath) and do lots of self-referential mugging for the camera. While sometimes an episode jump-start, this autopilot scriptwriting dangerously recalls the high camp way the "Full House" gang always used to wander into a Beach Boys concert.

I'd be lying if I said that the sight of Nikki Cox in this show doesn't make my heart skip a beat. For the first time she is not bending over backwards paining to be funny and the buxom young actress (able to make even the worst shows sustainable) actually looks comfortable in the role. I also like Vanessa Marcil's cold Sam. Babe-magnet Josh Duhamel fills the leading man role well; as does likable Lesher. Their buddy chemistry is the most fluid and authentic thing in the show. The fun thing about the "Las Vegas" world is that they transcend the show and can easily be plugged in anywhere. It seems appropriate to do some cross promotion and stick the characters in a football promo. They've even done the now rare network (syndication unfriendly) cross-over episode (with NBC's inexplicable hit "Crossing Jordan").

Beautiful people in scantly clad outfits, silly plots and a decent amount more character development than you'd expect. You may feel dirty the next morning, but "Las Vegas" is an appropriately shameless guilty pleasure without any false conceptions about itself. Fast-paced and well pitched for the slack-jawed Monday (or Friday) night masses. I wish it was more extreme - more absurd, more risqué and much more fun - but as it stands it's not a bad thing.

* * ½ / 4

Interesting

Author: naughty_nurse666 from Montreal, Canada
3 January 2004

I really like this show. James Caan is one of my favorite actors and doesn't let us down in this role. Josh Duhamel provides delicious eye candy for us women while the women in the show are also very beautiful. Besides looks, the plot lines of each episode are new and exciting. Some episodes are funny while others are serious. This show give us a break form reality tv.

Definitely Entertaining!!

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
28 October 2006

Very reliable entertainment, as Las Vegas amuses as well as intrigues, very light hearted and very much bolstered by Josh Duhanel!! I like this television show and I think that many people watch it as a form of escapist voyeurism...Voyeurism in this case is very positive, and many females in this series are very nice to look at...This show incorporates Las Vegas legends such as Wayne Newton as intermittent characters to authenticate the Las Vegas genre!! There have been copious depictions of sin city, this is one of the better efforts...The producers and directors are lucky to have James Caan in the show, as he is very much a totally accomplished actor!!! By and large, I like the T.V. Show Las Vegas and I watch it on Fridays, I watched it on Mondays as well, but with Monday Night Football, I could see why NBC switched it to Fridays...Nonetheless, I like Las Vegas a lot!!

Excellent all around

Author: caa821 from Tulsa OK
8 December 2006

Just got into viewing program for the first time recently - the 2-hour "kidnapping" program. Don't know why I didn't sooner?? James Caan is outstanding and wholly-believable in the role as the chief honcho at the featured 5* Vegas complex.

So often, programs like this have one or more in the ensemble who are either outright annoying, or seem to have been picked because they must be related to the producer or director.

That is certainly not the case with this program. Along with Caan, all of the primary and supporting cast are engaging attractive, and believable. The guest actors are well-chosen.

The stories I've seen are interesting, and the show presents a good view of the city as well.

This is an entertaining program, and one I hope will remain. I don't know how I managed to miss it for so long, but plan to TIVO it from now on.

NBC doesn't know good shows anymore!!!

Author: rlhaag from United States
26 February 2008

I would like to vent my displeasure at NBC Canceling Las Vegas. The show had been Top Notch for the past 5years. Tom Sellecks addition was great. He really brought a nice fresh addition to the show. What does NBC have now? Lame reality and night time game shows. I mean come on Keep the Old and Tired Law and Order? Not even putting Jack McCoy as DA can keep the show interesting. Gee let's keep quality program like Deal or No Deal or ED? ER should be put out to pasture to. NBC is worse now than it was in Pre Seinfeld Cheers days. With cable and internet, NBC cannot afford to fall flat on its face.PLEASE BRING BACK VEGAS! i remember when Homicide Life on the Street ended the way it did. At least they had a two hour series final. Hey CBS are you listening? Please pick up Vegas it is a great show.

Loving It!

Author: flippy-4 from Canada
20 October 2003

When I get the chance, I love to watch this show. Josh Duhamel is great as is the rest of the cast. I don't know why people think it is boring. I sure hope it sticks around, since everything I like usually gets cancelled!!! (My so Called Life, A year in the Life, Relativity etc)

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]