IMDb > "The Berenstain Bears" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Berenstain Bears" More at IMDbPro »

Good for learning lessons

Author: trapperjfc from United States
26 February 2011

This show is not boring at all. It is sensibly written to appeal to younger children (preschool and kindergarten age) and teach them values at the same time. In this age of redundant stupidity in entertainment, parents need a show like this one to help illustrate how fair life should be, and give a firm footing to children, not overwhelm them with glitz, glam and gloss. By keeping plots simple and allowing children to follow along at their level, this show simply teaches children how to be fair, consider other's feelings and have good sportsmanship. These are core values which are not being taught to children at daycare dumps or underfunded public schools. If a parent expects more out of this show for themselves, they should consider re-viewing and actually listening to the plot. The simple storytelling is charming and perfect for 3-6 year olds. As parents, we need to put our children first and our entertainment expectations last.

Mama, Papa, Brother and Sis--Come Together in A New Show You Shouldn't Miss.

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
3 July 2003

[MAY BE SPOILERS]

This series is practically a remake of the 1985 one, but don't expect to see Raffish Ralph or Weasel McGreed around. These are more based on the books, but they do add a few twists, like today's episode in which Mama and Papa go to an automated hotel for their second honeymoon while Brother and Sister spend the week at Grizzly Gramps and Gran's. You know, I believe Grizzly Gramps has made his animated debut because in the old series, he was nowhere to be found. I thought Gran sounded just like Barbara Billingsley but the voice credits proved otherwise. Papa, Mama, Brother and Sister have many other adventures! Like the time Mama decided they watch way too much television and tells them to go without for one week. It was easy for the cubs, but devastating for Papa. Or how about the time Sister goes to Lizzie Bruins for a sleepover when suddenly the party get's too loud. Sister was grounded after that. Each show starts like this: some scenes from the episode jumbled together to give us a preview, next is the opening with unique theme song. Then the episode begins. The sad part: The show is only 15 minutes long. The other half of the time slot is filled by Seven Little Monsters, which is probably a decent show. I haven't seen it, but can't the Bears have their own full 30 minute time slot? Just air two episodes. Berenstain Bears fans are feeling cheated here!

Meet the Bears: Mama and Papa, the matriarch and patriarch. Mama is the sensible one and can solve any problem what-so-ever. Though Papa proves to be a bumbler, he's a great problem solver as well. Brother and Sister are fun-loving cubs who often quarrel and fight, but love one another deeply. I wonder what Mama and Papa were called before they were parents. I know Brother was called Small Bear. Cousin Freddy, bully Too-Tall, Lizzie Bruin, Farmer Ben, Grizzly Gran and Gramps and the rest are here! So if you want a break from the trying world of Barney, Sesame Street, Clifford, JayJay and Zoom, I recommend you catch an episode of The Berenstain Bears! Sure it's not as good as the books or original 1985 series, but it's still good fun! You'll notice that it BEARS [bares] a resemblence to the old cartoon: Mama's blue outfit is missing it's white spots, Sister's blouse is missing it's pink spots and Papa's yellow shirt is missing it's stripes. Too much strain on the animators I guess. Oh well. No biggie!