IMDb > "The Apprentice" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Apprentice"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"The Apprentice" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Used to love it - now it's just embarrassing to watch

Author: Joachim Meyer Andersen (jo@chim.meyer.gs) from Copehagen, Denmark
24 February 2007

For the first couple of seasons, I thought The Apprentice was a highly engaging and exciting show. The combination between reality TV and a 16 week job-interview was innovative, and the producers of the show managed to keep the show relevant and not too "out there".

The new season 6 is nothing more than a big joke and it has absolutely nothing to do with business - at all. In the earlier seasons they used to put a lot more emphasis on the business-related tasks - now the focus is mostly in the boardroom where the contestants are expected to do EVERYTHING to keep them on the show (that means lying, trash-talking, backstabbing etc.). The boardroom can be entertaining to watch, but it's entertainment at it's low-point - Sometimes you wonder if you are watching a repeat of an old Jerry Springer episode. The tasks on the show are, at most, boring and mostly a showcase for the companies who are dumb enough to pay NBC for the publicity. And what is the deal about half of the contestants living in tents in season 6? That is just plain stupid and has nothing to do with business in real-life.

I have absolutely NO respect for any of the contestants this season, they all seem like idiots to me. In earlier seasons at least some of the contestants had a bit of integrity, now it seems like the contestants would kill their own mother to keep them on the show. It also seems like Donald Trump's massive ego becomes bigger and bigger for every season that pass by and to be honest, I can't see why anyone with a common sense would want to work for him. His rationality in the boardroom mostly doesn't make any sense at all and sometimes it seems he just like to trash people for what it's worth.

R.I.P The Apprentice. Please NBC, for God's sake, get the show off the air as soon as possible. It's just too embarrassing to watch. The Apprentice was once a great TV-show, but now it's just a big fat joke.

An ongoing masquerade

Author: Ray Massart from Belgium
7 April 2005

I am at present following the series in the British version on BBC 2. It's exciting and fun but once one starts to realize that this is the reflection of the real world out there it tends to make one despair. Those guys "in the fast lane" who or what are they really? Very shallow people who are extremely insecure in the sense that they are always trapped in the game of sucking-up to their superiors and/or treading on their inferiors. Their main concern is that nobody sees through their fake approach and this attitude alone consumes an enormous amount of personal energy.These are the guys and ladies whom when you catch them on one of those rare occasions when they're off-guard, will convince you that there is essentially nothing truly exceptional about their personality and that they are basically constantly frustrated by the nagging thought that the price they pay for their ongoing masquerade, might not be worthwhile at all. As to the concept of this "reality" game itself, one can remark that there are obvious shortcomings as to its effectiveness: granted that the idea of opposing two different teams in order to achieve maximum results is acceptable, one has to take into account that the "ego" competition between each member of both groups is so predominantly present that it is without any doubt detrimental to the concept of team-building in general and consequently also to the achievement of the preliminary defined objectives.On another level, one wonders if it isn't precisely this form of "work ethic" that has also contributed to the collapse of the financial urban jungle we are witnessing at present (previous sentence added April 2009)

and it gets worse and worse

Author: activemoviefan from United States
20 February 2007

I LOVED the Apprentice for the first two seasons.

But now with season 5? (or is it 6?) things are getting just plain too tiring.

I used to like the show, but its become Donald Trumps own ego fest. Granted its his company you'll be working for, but come on! some of the things says "You're FIRED" is just insulting.

after watching the show, I would not want to work for him. not because he is arrogant, pompous or such. Its just that the show is unrealistic and the way he handles things makes me just squirm. Good Entertainment? YES, but tiring as the back stabbing gets so tiring.. its not team work, its not personal, its just business. watch your back jack.

Good season, stupid people

Author: ajennaro from United States
31 October 2005

I think the worst part of the Apprentice is that it takes an excellent concept (finding the next Apprentice by putting the contestants in real-world situations where they have to show project management skills and business acumen to survive) and places the dumbest contestants where intelligent, ambitious people should be. It particularly angers me that the women on the show are always chosen solely for their looks and lose their tasks because they are vapid, engage in cat fights and have air in the space where their brains should be. Of course, this has to be contrasted with the male contestants who are (usually) immature and have superegos, but at least have some sort of brain power. The blatant sexism on this show is obvious. But at least the concept of a reality show for the business world is engaging and you can feel slightly better about watching reality TV when it isn't about TV romanticism or really bad singers. Let's just hope that eventually they can find competent contestants to fit the bill on the show. Now wouldn't that be interesting?

The best reality TV show ever made(and the only one that i like)

Author: departed07 from United States
25 March 2004

Even the tagline says it, "It's nothing personal, its just business" Finally there's a reality TV show that shows contestants the true meaning of a dollar. Not by falling off a bridge, eating worms, taking off your clothes, but by learning the ways in business. Donald Trump is the host and also producer of the show, he puts these young kids(over 20) into tasks that they must complete if they want to succeed into the next level. If they make it, they stay for upcoming episodes while Donald tells the others, "You're fired!" I love the fact that there can be a reality show without hurting anybody's feelings, and that Donald Trump gets to the point. I love the fact that its a success and it can teach other people about the business world. This beats the hell out of watching 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Will & Grace' and others.

The best reality show in history but also the most sadistic.

Author: y_turks from Kashmir
23 June 2006

Season after season, the players or characters in this show appear to be people who you'd absolutely love to hate. Is this show rigged to be that or were they chosen for the same? Each episode vilifies one single person specifically and he ends up getting killed off. You enjoy seeing them get screwed although its totally wrong and sick. You enjoy seeing them screwing others, getting screwed themselves, playing dirty, getting it back, escaping and finally getting kicked out by Trump. The amount of tears also seems to be increasing by the season.

The rewards which attempt to compensate for past humiliation and suffering are also heavily reduced. In the newer seasons, its like "You get to meet xyx who'll lecture you about uvw"..like who freaking cares? The characters are so hateable, collectively and individually, that you wonder if they're paid actors? The only sane one gets to win.

Watch with caution and maintain a conscience. Those are your fellow human beings in the firing line.

This "Celebrity" Apprentice is staged!

Author: urbancohort from United States
7 February 2008

I bet you Gene Simmons and Vincent Pastore negotiated in advance how many episodes they would be willing to appear in. Isn't just too contrived for Gene to switch to the ladies team and then throw himself on his sword? And Big Pussy? What the hell was that "look at me, I'm a rat!" double episode crap? All that cliché mafia banter- COME ON! The big names voted off just happened to already have received money for their charity and got a custom tailored exit. Hmm... This is not reality but staged drama! Mark Burnett's other show, "Survivor" also raised questions for me when Johnny Fairplay stages his departure when he clearly had just a short time before his child is to be born.

Yuk!

a good start

Author: dragokin
4 March 2014

Prior to watching The Apprentice i knew hardly anything about Donald Trump. He was a guy with a funny haircut who went bankrupt and managed to get back on his feet, basically one of those characters adding to the allure surrounding New York.

I devoured the first season in a weekend and went on to find out more about this guy. He was portrayed as a boss everyone would love to have. It went that far that at a certain point i've almost stopped caring about the participants and their tasks.

After reading a book or two and watching him running for president at least once i got a better picture of Donald. And a couple of years down the line i've accidentally ran into new episodes, i guess Season 5. By then my perception changed, since i witnessed just another reality show. Donald didn't get younger, either, and became almost a caricature of himself.

In any case, the first season was great, the rest not so...

Author: healer-2
4 September 2016

i just want to make some observations about this show. I never watched Celebrity Apprentice, as I was otherwise occupied, but did see some of the first 5 or 6 seasons. It started out as unique and diverting, and seemed like a good concept for reality TV.

The quality seemed to decline maybe by season 4 or 5, because there was more focus on the competing teams and individuals talking about the experience while it was going on. I was wondering, "Why are you busy talking and wringing your hands when you have only a few hours to build a skyscraper (slight exaggeration, but not by much.) So it was becoming everything I hated about The Survivor or shows about people stranded on an island. They sit around as if in an encounter group when they should be out chasing down wild animals and gathering food. The focus was on "feelings," and that seemed to be the direction of The Apprentice.

The selection of the winners became increasingly ridiculous. They'd "fire" the best candidate and justify the decision in a way that didn't make sense. By this time I found it easy to let go and stop tuning in. All the encounter group style backbiting was wearing me out.

Still, I give my entire viewing experience an "7" because it was diverting enough. It wasn't Law & Order, but it kept me watching for the first few seasons.

Season 6

Author: loveumair007 from Pakistan
19 August 2012

well everything was fine till season 5 but suddenly everything changes and season 6 is not as good as it was before. season 1 to 5 shows executive theme but suddenly the theme changes to something i would never want to watch. this season is the least anyone want to watch. the season 6 very discriminating and advantage to certain people. then Mr Donald trump come up with her daughter its like a family show in which he just want to make her family more popular. come on people what is this, a season or family play.all the policy are changed in Season 6 and it was not good.otherwise i learn a lot till season 5 and i was hoping to see all the seasons

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]