IMDb > Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Page 16 of 40: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

stupid but funny

Author: gambler8316nv (gambler8316nv@hotmail.com) from Las Vegas, NV
20 July 2004

Dodgeball was funny, as long as you don't think too hard about it. However, if you want a better example of the turn-off-your-brain-and laugh movie go see Anchorman, as it is funnier, in my opinion. Ben Stiller is hilarious as the dense, insecure White Goodman, owner of GloboGym. Goodman is a cross between Stiller's earlier characters of Zoolander and the the evil nursing home attendant he played in Happy Gilmore. Vince Vaughn plays our hero, Peter LaFleur, a laid back slacker who owns and operates a "competing" gym called Average Joe's. He has to get $50,000 in 30 days or else he loses his gym to the obnoxious, nefarious Goodman. One of LaFleur's few clients, Gordon, comes up with the idea of competing in a Las Vegas dodgeball tournament where the grand prize is $50,000. This leads to countless shots of people getting hit in the crotch with dodgeballs, which as the producers of America's Funniest Home Videos, can attest is always funny. The tournament itself is funny, and appears on ESPN 8 or "The Ocho" as it is nicknamed. Gary Cole and Jason Bateman hilariously play the commentators. As far as Jason Bateman's character goes, think of a younger version of Fred Willard's character in Best in Show, and you will get the idea. The cameos are funny and include William Shatner, David Hasselhoff, Chuck Norris, and the funniest one of all, Lance Armstrong. All in all it was funny, but could have been better. During the training montage, it would have been so much better, if they would have played a cheesy 80's style heavy metal song. obviously, when you go see a movie like Dodgeball, you don't expect Oscar material, but as long as you just don't think too hard about how stupid it is, it is definitely worth killing about an hour and a half. I give it 7 out of 10

Dumb, but fun.

Author: Robert Lent (RLent@mail.com) from Minneapolis, Minnesota
20 July 2004

I'll admit it, the only reason that I went to this movie was because it didn't cost me anything. I went to see Spider Man 2 at a drive-in, and it was a double feature. It was a work night, but I decided to give it a try - how bad could it be? Besides, I could always leave if I didn't like it.

It's a stupid movie, I'll admit that. But it is fun, it is funny, and is a great send up of the sports movie genre. Some of the reviewers are bound and determined to be offended, but it is a fun movie. The movie works well because it doesn't take itself seriously at all. Worthwhile if you are not in a serious mood, and especially worthwhile if you didn't pay for it. If you are uptight, you might not like it, the movie can be a little vulgar.

Hilarious & Goofy

Author: spiffie101 (spiffie101@yahoo.com) from Dearborn, MI
19 July 2004

If you want to laugh out loud, you must see this movie! It is funny, silly, out there, and just plain goofy. =)

The plot is fun and predictable, but you can't beat the one liners and the jokes in this one.

Vince Vaughn was a gas and Ben Stiller's role brought back memories of him picking on little kids in Heavyweights! hehe

I really enjoyed it! Plus, it has a woman kicking butt in sports! Gotta love it!

I recommend this movie for anyone who wants a good laugh and a silly time.

~Erin

A 90-minute kick in the groin

Author: malcolm from United States
19 July 2004

The only feasible explanation for the rave comments found here is that DodgeBall is being supported by a large staff of eager publicists.

I like dumb comedies -- I laughed through "Something about Mary"; I consider "Caddyshack" a classic. But DodgeBall is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It isn't just stupid, it's insulting and offensive. And, worse than that, it's lazy and dull-witted. Ben Stiller and co. seem to think that silly voices, old people cursing, and kicks to the groin are the building blocks of comedy. Over and over, in places where you expect a punchline, Stiller uses his Zoolander voice to repeat what another character has just said. He does this again and again and again. If we're lucky, we then get to see the love interest smash Stiller's head into the wall. Vince Vaughn looks sedated throughout the movie, and the screenwriters must have been visiting the same medicine cabinet.

Dumb? Sure. LMAO Funny? You bet!

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
18 July 2004

This film I decided to catch primarily because I wasn't sure how long it'd be out in town and we don't have a "Dollar movie" theatre anymore. Also,I'm sort of a fan of Ben Stiller,so any chance to see him go unleashed in a film is a welcome spectacle. I'd hardly call this a great film by any measure. It's sophomoric and contrived to a fault. The humor certainly isn't for everyone and the plot seems stolen from previous gross-out comedies like "Kingpin" and :BAseketball". But the gags are so enthused and rapid-fire that you don't get a chance to dwell on the bad gags for the ones that do work(and quite a few do). Plus, Vince Vaughn's easy,relaxed comic presence counterbalances Stiller's unhinged bodybuilder freak tops out a cast that seems inspired in their playing basically one-note characters. A bonus is watching real-life wife of Stiller,Christine Taylor, having no problem resisting the advances of her husband's character. The celebrity cameos are cleverly inserted and some of the minor characters--most notably Bateman as a dense sports color commentator and Root as a meek member of Vaughn's gym and Dodgeball team--steal their scenes. Bottom line:this is a good,hearty laughfest(for those who appreciate raw,raucous,well-meant humor) that is a good comedy respite or palate-cleanser between summer blockbusters. 7 out of 10 stars.

I Squealed Like A Jolly Pig - Make Sure You Watch The Credits!

Author: ideveloper from Hilo, Hawaii
18 July 2004

Dodgeball was my favorite playground game and as I watched this movie I wished I'd kept up on it through the years! It's a fun sport that won't let you take yourself too seriously.

Factor in Vince Vaughan and Ben Stiller, and the gorgeous Christine Taylor, and you have the silliness and laughter of a Zoolander or Something about Mary well worth the ten dollars. Ben Stiller's pseudo-intellectual overcompensating 'White Goodman' left me in tears, right down to the end of the credits. If you already saw it and missed the credits, make sure you watch them all the way through on the DVD or you'll never experience the best part.

One of the funniest movies of the year!

Author: from New York, New York
15 July 2004

Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

First off i want to say that this is one of the funniest movies i have seen all year. If you enjoyed "Mean Girls" "White Chicks" and "Anchorman" you will definitely love this movie.

This is the story of an underachiever name Peter LaFleur he owns a small gym called "Average Joe's". His competitor White Goodman owns a much bigger gym named "Globo Gym"; all of a sudden he becomes interested in buying Peter's gym. Peter is behind on his payments and the only way he can maintain his gym is by paying a large amount of money. Of course Peter does not have this money so he has to find a way to get it quick.

Peter assembles a dodgeball team made up of: -A man who thinks he's a pirate -A nerd who wants to impress the hottest chearleader -A man obsessed in obscure sports (such as "the midget toss" -A man who is not to bright -And a man who thinks he knows it all but knows absolutely nothing

The only way that Peter can keep his gym in by winning first prize in a dodgeball competition. This movies is full of funny surprises and exciting twists. And of course it contains two of some of the funniest actors in movies. Ben Stiller-Vince Vaughn

I loved this movie and i think that anybody that has a good sense of humor should see this movie.

Overall Movie Rating 9/10

The ultimate underdog story of our time!

Author: sinn98 from Ottawa, Canada
14 July 2004

I was surprisingly moved by this film. It had a perfect combination of goofy comedy (coming mostly from Ben Stiller, who was absolutely hilarious) mixed with that intense feeling of wanting the little guy to win.

I say that this is the ultimate underdog story of our time because I can really relate this film's theme to our present sociological/political struggle. That being the battle of our corporate sell-out, self-obsessed selves versus the side of us misfits who love life, not money/glamour.

Funny cameos, too! 9/10

Mostly mindless, but thoroughly entertaining

Author: Andy
12 July 2004

Not something I'd show young children, but the funniest movie I've seen in a long, long time. As mindless comedies go, this is destined to be a classic.

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting much, thinking that after There's Something About Mary and Zoolander, among others, that this movie would be the inevitable mediocre one that I probably wouldn't watch again, but I was dead wrong. I think, overall, this is the funniest one yet. Ben Stiller is arguably better as an antagonist than he is as the protagonist, and Vince Vaughn fits his part perfectly with his nonchalant and dry manner and deadpan delivery. Furthermore, there are an awful lot of unexpected little things that elevate it from funny to hilarious. Jason Bateman's character, for example, provided some of the best (and most unexpected) laughs. I wasn't expecting much in the way of plot, either, but I found it mildly entertaining, after all. Of course, it never gets in the way of the laughs, which keep on coming.

Obviously, this movie isn't for everyone - and some people might be quite offended or put off by it. For the rest of us, it's another great mindless comedy.

Stiller's best movie since "Something About Mary"

Author: elcopy from United States
11 July 2004

Well, Ben Stiller has been very busy. In the few months before Dodgeball came out he has been in "Along Came Polly", "Starky & Hutch" and "Envy", not counting a cameo in "Anchorman". This overexposed Stiller has some few new turkeys on his resume. Fortunately, Dodgeball is making up for them.

This is the funniest movie I've seen since "Something About Mary". With a big plus: this movie doesn't rely on bathroom humor and gross jokes which has been a comedy staple since "Mary". Ben Stiller also pulled out here the best comedic performance I've seen since Jim Carrey in "The Mask".

Highly recommended. You won't be disappointed.