IMDb > Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Page 13 of 39: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Funny, but not awe-inspiring.

Author: Citizen_Cam from Australia
28 March 2005

Sports movies are always the same. So much so that they are basically the same movie watched over and over again. Underdog team needs to beat the big guys so they can save the bar/house/club etc. Dodgeball is referred to as A True Underdog Story. And so it is. It is a clichéd, over-the-top, exaggerated version of the same sporting movies that have been made every year for the past half-century. Peter Le Fleur (Vince Vaughn) and his regulars at his gym, Average Joe's take on the professional, elite team of rival White Goodman and his own gym in the standard sporting movie plot. However, the game they choose to play is dodgeball, perennial favourite of American PE teachers and my PE teacher in High School. The object of the game at the school level is for big, sporty kids to pelt unpopular geeks like myself with balls over and over again. The professional dodgeball circuit portrayed in the film is sleek, sophisticated and apparently quite popular. Of course, it's all a big joke. Peter's team are the usual bunch of misfits. There's the geeky former cheerleader Justin, sad, mild Gordon and The Dread Pirate Steve. He is joined by Kate Veatch, the banker hired by Goodman to acquire Peter's gym. They are all coached by former Dodgeball champion Patches O'Houlihan, now a wheelchair bound, sex-obsessed loony who trains them by throwing spanners at them. The movie is very silly, but it's still amusing. There are a number of good sight gags of the slapstick variety, and there are some good one-liners, particularly from Stiller and Vaughn. Stiller plays the bad guy in this film, but it's a similar character to that from Zoolander; dumb, shallow and self-centred. Stiller plays the egomaniac so well I can't help but wonder if there's an element of reality in his portrayal. The movie is filled with odd characters who do and say odd things, which is OK because I respond well to that kind of humour. Dodgeball is not a great film. It's possibly not even a good film. But it is an amusing film. That's really all one can ask from a comedy. Anti-sport movies are becoming more common these days; the Australian film Crackerjack springs to mind, which is basically the same old story but concerning lawn bowls. Dodgeball works as a satire, or a spoof, of these movies but mostly it works as a way of raising a smile, even if the jokes are dumb and the plot non-existent. Enjoy it; genuinely funny films are rare. Good-o-meter rating: 7/10

So funny, yet so disappointing

Author: allen82 from United States
17 March 2005

There were parts of this movie where I was literally in pain laughing so hard, namely the training sequence in the middle. What spoiled this movie for me was its shameless crude humor. I've seen movies with tasteless humor before (almost every Stiller flick), but this was especially disappointing because the movie would have been so uproariously funny without it! The last scene especially turned me off, leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth for the movie. If this happens to you, though, I would suggest watching the extra features which contain extra footage of the skinny kid getting pelted with dodge-balls. I was crying I laughed so hard.

A little somethin' somethin'

Author: lucyiyn from United States
12 March 2005

Wow I love Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller together! Kinda like Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader--they are opposing forces but great together on camera!!! This movie came highly recommended and while there were plenty of clichés it was so funny I was hootin' and hollarin'! Take one uber pumped (below the waist too)gym owner who is crazy and has a "hidden" eating weakness and a hunger to rule the world and mix him with an average Joe who is not in great shape and may have love life woes and throw in a lot of face smackin' rubber balls and there you have it. Seriously though see it and don't forget to check out the ending after the credits. Believe me you will NEVER forget what you see!! Just a little somethin' somethin' for the road...

So-So

Author: Filmcritic624 from United States
12 March 2005

Out of all the whacky, out of the ordinary sports movies that I've ever seen, Dodgeball is definitely one in the taking.

It's just too stupid, yet delightfully humorous for some parts, and really gets in detail. The film has very good programming, and also shows glimpses maybe of a secondcoming? Maybe.

Good reasons why to see this film. Ben Stiller and Christine Taylor are brilliant together, Vince Vaughn really gave a solid performance, the suspense is great, and also some of the effects they used are pretty good.

Good reasons why NOT to see this film. Rip Torn looks like a complete moron as the as Coach Patches, the ending is very predictable, and also, Some parts are just well overdone, taking the beginning for example, it takes a good 5 minutes just to get his point across already! But, if you want to see this movie, it's something that you will enjoy.

Now that's an EPIC movie!!

Author: Dark_Trooper from Thessaloniki, Greece
3 March 2005

When I went with a friend of mine to see this movie I expected the standard Ben Stiller thing: obscene characters and crazy jokes, some of them successful, some of the not. But I enjoyed it a lot more! There were parts during the film when I was stuck on the back of the chair laughing! This movie is really EPIC! Well, in its own way of course. It's one of those sports movies where the good guys always win at the last crucial moment of the final match... well, kind of. This film works at times a lot like a great parody of these movies! Hell, just take a look at the cameos!!

I recommend it to anyone who wants to have two pleasant hours. You won't regret it!

Better than I expected

Author: Littljohn from United States
18 February 2005

Amazingly enough, this movie was very funny. I thought that it would be awful, because I haven't usually been to impressed with Ben Stiller. But I thought that this movie was pretty good. I wouldn't say that it is anything special, but it is a good movie when you feel like turning off your brain for a while, and having a good laugh. So I say this to all considering Dodgeball, watch it, it is probably worth what you will spend on it. It is not an Oscar winning movie, but I think that is certainly worth the time spent watching it. Give it a chance, this movie is an underdog comedy, I ask you, how bad can it possibly be? Honestly, give it a chance.

Absolutely Brilliant!

Author: Ryan-Shem from Leicester
13 February 2005

OK, I've never been one for films that deal with sports but this film has really changed my view on how super they can be. I think one of the best things in this film is the comedy value, not only does it mix comedy with seriousness of the film but it also has symbolism of "Anything is possible, even if the odds are against you" and I think films that symbolise things of great importance to us really convey a spectacular performance. The whole cast was very well chosen and Ben Stiller really takes his part well when he becomes what he used to become at the end, a lazy slob.

Anyway, the title may seem boring but the film is exquisite, it's a film that might not spark your interest into watching it but you will succumb to the temptation of watching it for the first time or again as there is always something that you want answered or if you just want to listen to a particular line. This is one of those films that you must see, granted, that can be said for a lot of films though this really is a film you have to see to be able to come to a judgement.

Slapstick Comedy

Author: starlasunlight from Ireland
7 February 2005

Ben Stiller > An actor that is indeed very funny but also everywhere you turn. He alone is the reason I avoided this film for so long. I rented it tonight and thought it was actually good.

For me, Vince Vaughn made the movie along with Stillers wife Christine Taylor.

Peter owns this run down gym which appropriately is beside this massive popular gym owned by White Goodman. Peter has outstanding debts to pay and need to repay $50,000 in 30 days.

They willingly enter a dodgeball competition to win the prize money of $50,0000. They do really well and get to the finals to face Globo..Whites gym.

It's a decent enough film with enough laughs to keep you entertained. I feel Vince Vaughn is just amazing. I think Stiller needs to step out of the limelight as he honestly is in EVERYTHING these days.

8/10 for this film.

spoof of every Hollywood scenario in the book. hilarious

Author: TheNorthernMonkee from Manchester
5 February 2005

SPOILERS Every year there are specific situations in Hollywood films which smack of unoriginality. Whether the underdog coming out on top, the romantic aspect or the geek hero turning good in the end, Hollywood grabs these stories by the horns and exploits them beyond a joke. So it's no surprise that major spoofs arrive on the scene. "Dodgeball", like other films over the last ten years has exploited the catalogue to provide a hilarious little film.

Peter La Fleur (Vince Vaughn) runs Average Joes Gym. A nice guy by all standards, La Fleur spends his time with a bunch of regular losers who work out at his gym. All things look set to change however when White Goodman (Ben Stiller), owner of a major corporate gym, threatens to buy the gym unless La Fleur can earn $50,000. Now La Fleur, his friends and lawyer Kate (Christine Taylor) will work together to try to become a successful team in one of the most dangerous sports of all. Yes, they're going to play Dodgeball.

The beautiful thing about "Dodgeball" is just how daft it really can be. With some superb little jokes, it ridicules and pokes fun at every Hollywood situation in the book.

With brilliant performances by Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn, the film might never be a world best, but it remains hilarious and entertaining.

It's hard to know what more to say about "Dodgeball" really. It's a daft, funny, little film with superb casting and some magical little moments. It ridicules Hollywood and it does it with style. Well worth a watch, but it's perhaps better if you appreciate how predictable Hollywood can be.

Pretty Funny Comedy, That Benefits From A Great Cast!

Author: callanvass
4 February 2005

This is a pretty funny comedy that benefits from a great cast!. It had a lot of laughs lots of likable characters, and an amusing finale, predictable but amusing. It never takes itself seriously, and Stiller is excellent, plus the film had a lot of cool cameo's. Some of the jokes were a miss, but most of them were pretty funny, and it's good natured. It's predictable at times, but this mostly a pretty funny time that made me laugh quite a bit. The Directing is pretty good. Rawson Marshall Thurber, does a pretty good job here with keeping the film at a good pace, good lighting, great use of colors, and overall he did a solid job!. The Acting is very good!. Vince Vaughn does a great job here, he is likable, a good leader, and goo in the acting department, he is a very Versatile Actor and was perfect for this part!. Ben Stiller is HILARIOUS as always, and was great here, he could be an ass at times, but he was likable, and cracked me up. Christine Taylor is GORGEOUS!, and does very well, and had decent chemistry with Vaughn, and it's funny that her and Stiller are married in Real life!. Rip Torn does a very good job here, as the coach i liked him. Justin Long is funny, and very likable in a geeky sort of way. Stephen Root is very funny as usual and plays the usual nerd role. Joel Moore did what he had to do well. Chris Williams had a few funny lines but didn't have that much to do. Alan Tudyk is very funny here, especially in that Pirate getup!. Gary Cole is good as the Announcer, he is also an excellent character actor!. Lance Armstrong,Chuck Norris,William Shatner,David Hasselhoff do great in there cameo's. And Julie Gonzalo is very cute, and did her job well, as the cheerleader. Overall i highly recommend this one, it's good for a night of laughs! ***1/2 out of 5