IMDb > Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Page 2 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Remember the 5 rules of Dodgeball......!!!!!

Author: rlbartram from United Kingdom
13 October 2006

This film will not be the cause of World peace.....neither will it stimulate your emotions and lead you to donate to worthwhile causes.

However.....if you want to spend 90 minutes laughing your head off to constant one-liners and clever word-play from the main characters.....mixed with slap-stick and occasional goofy and cringe-worthy scenarios.......then sit back and enjoy the ride!!!! Within its genre this is definitely 10/10.......against Schindler's List or other such films, then it's struggling.....but then that isn't what it is meant or wants to be.

Just sit back....strap yourself in and laugh out loud....then replay the ridiculous White Goodman monologues with your friends time and again!!!!

A classic tale of the underdog

Author: Marc Soulsby from United Kingdom
19 July 2005

I went to see this film because of Ben Stiller (who I think is fantastic). This film had me in stitches from the moment it started to the moment it ended. Ben Stiller is great as White Goodman (a neurotic gym owner on a power trip) and, for me, steals the show. Rip Torn plays the part of a former Dodgeball champion and, for those of you who like physical humour, had me in pain from laughing so hard.

The story has been well thought out and put across to the audience in a way that everyone will relate to at least one of the characters.

It is the type of movie that you can watch without really thinking about it. By that, I mean that you can watch it and laugh (and you will) without worrying whether or not you're gonna be too loud and miss vital plot points. The movie is sheer comedy. You watch the screen and you laugh... it's that simple.

All the family can enjoy this. My son is also a very big fan. I know that when I sit down to watch this movie with my son that there are no times when I have to block the screen or shield him from any dirty or disgusting dialogue. Yes, this is one for the whole family... from children to the senior citizens.

If you haven't seen this movie yet then I advise you to buy / rent it now. You don't know what you're missing.

This is a funny film - so forget pretentious comments

Author: lapidary from West Sussex, England
19 October 2004

This film is not intended to be a great work of art and no one will win an Oscar for it because it is just a film packed full of laughs that leaves you smiling afterwards - that is, with the exception of the few posters here bereft of any sense of humour.

I am not a great Ben Stiller fan - generally, I find him rather unfunny but he scores highly in this film and Vince Vaughn also deserves recognition among others for fine comedic timing.

The guest appearances also add to the general fun and the wheelchair-bound coach, played by Rip Torn is just a hoot.

This is definitely one to hire from your local rental shop - me, I'm going to buy the DVD!

Surprisingly good comedy

Author: Flower_of_the_Lily from United Kingdom
29 July 2008

The supreme pinnacle of the fitness industry is GloboGym, owned and operated by large-haired, small-brained fitness fascist White Goodman (Ben Stiller). Next door is the pitiful competition: Average Joe's, a run-down, homely gym run by amiable slacker Peter La Fleur (Vince Vaughn) who is always ready with a little advice and encouragement for his misfit gym members and who is quite prepared to let people pay their fees a little late.

Unfortunately, Peter's lack of business acumen means that his gym is in foreclosure, and unless he comes up with £50,000 dollars in one month his gym will be bought by White Goodman and bulldozed to make way for a new car park. Determined to save Joe's, Peter and his friends enter a dodgeball tournament where first prize just so happens to be £50,000 dollars, and find themselves an efficient (but completely nutty) coach in the shape of former dodgeball champion Patches O'Houlihan (Rip Torn). But White discovers their intentions and the fun really starts when he puts together his own team of champion dodge-ballers to thwart Joe's ...

I remember this movie being something of a sleeper hit, and can see why: there's something for everyone in terms of humour, from straightforward slapstick (usually with a wrench) to classic verbal sparring. Vaughn is the calm centre to the film, wisely playing it straight amongst his oddball team (Steve the Pirate is my particular favourite) Rip Torn is suitably OTT, but scenery-mastication honours must go to Stiller, easily delivering his funniest performance since Mystery Men. The plot is straightforward and you can see the end a mile off, but a number of fun cameos and a continual stream of jokes keep the laughs coming. Just plain fun.

Another Frat Pack movie

Author: jediduck95 from Atlanta, Georgia
10 July 2005

There was the 'Rat Pack', the 'brat pack'. Now there is the 'Frat pack'(made it up on the spot). The 'Frat Pack' consist of Ben Stiller, Will Farrell, Luke Wilson, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaugn, and some of their friends. These actors have their hold on Hollywood and they basically can do most comedy movies they want because they have can make a good amount of money doing these movies. Other Frat Pack movies include 'Anchor Man', 'Starsky and Hutch', and Old School'. I'm not saying these movies are terrible or i don't like the actors. It annoys me seeing the same actors playing the same comedic parts and the studio expects that just their presence should make us laugh.

I'm not trying to insult fraternities. I call them the frat pack because they appeal more to those guys.

I always enjoy a good comedy, but if the next 10 years is going to be comedy movies like this then i might just watch reruns of 'The Simpsons' or 'Family Guy' for comedy.

The game of dodgeball is humorous but it doesn't mean you should make a movie out of it. If anything, you should only use this story within an episode of a t.v. show (ex: South Park) instead of dragging two hours of this nonsense.

We are supposed to laugh whenever we see Ben Stiller while he plays one of his 'crazy' characters. He looks funny but his character gets real annoying real fast. I liked Stiller at one point but after 'Zoolander' and this movie, I'm starting to worry about his future (granted he's making more money now compared to when he was funny). We're also supposed to like Vince Vaugn but he plays the same 'takes no gruff' character. The pirate character was the most annoying of the cast. 'HA, HA, a man dressed up as a pirate in a gym. Excuse me while I change my pants'.

This story plays out the same comedic formula as most mindless comedies. I guess when you do a movie about dodgeball then you can't really do too much with it.

A lot of people apparently have seen this movie and liked it. So if you like pointless comedy that has no intelligence behind it then you will enjoy this movie. If you like a plot and some intelligence in a comedy movie then stay away from this one.

I'll probably skip the possible sequel 'Kickball', but from how much money they made from this one, I'm sure they're planning the sequel right now.

Silly but hugely enjoyable, much better than I thought it would be

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
26 April 2010

Well what can I say? Hugely enjoyable, silly yes but manages to be enjoyable. Yes with a predictable story that occasionally loses its lustre and some flimsy gags and a number of clichés. But what makes it watchable is the hilarious script, the good-natured spirit of the film, likable and relateable characters and fun performances from Vince Vaughan(really cool in one of his better movies- and performances as well), Ben Stiller, Rip Torn and Hank Azaria with an amusing cameo from David Hasselhoff. The direction is also good, and the film is nice to look at with a cool soundtrack. Overall, not perfect but watchable and funny. 7/10 Bethany Cox

Ben Stiller is great in this movie.

Author: Sirus_the_Virus from United States
24 October 2009

We have all seen sports movies at least one. Like Hoosiers or Feild of dreams. But never before have we seen a film like Dodgeball: a true underdog story. Never before have we seen a sports movie that has to do with Dodgeball in the first place.

The Film stars Vince Vaughn as Peter, The owner of a little gym. Ben Stiller stars as White Goodman, the owner of a large gym called Globogym. One day White comes to the gym and tells Peter that if he doesn't get enough money by the end of the month, he'll knock down the gym. so Peter and his nerdy and odd friends compete in a Dodgeball competition in Vegas. They are going to be competing against Globogym.

The gang soon gets some assistance from Kate(Christine Taylor)a chick who works at the bank. She kicks ass at Dodgeball. She is better than almost all of them. White and Peter both have a crush on her. We can all tell who she picks.

Dodgeball is a very funny movie. I don't think it for everyone because a lot of people might think it is silly. I am not doubting that it is silly. It sure as hell is silly. But the film is really funny and I give it a thumbs up.

Not just a film for average Joe's.

Author: JohnRouseMerriottChard from United Kingdom
1 August 2009

Peter LaFleur {Vince Vaughn} is the owner of Average Joe's Gym, barely making any cash, LaFleur looks like losing his Gym to corporate big hitters, Globo Gym. Globo Gym, run by sleazy White Goodman {Ben Stiller}, is the complete opposite to Joe's, big money, big clientèle and big ego's. So when the few hardy members of Joe's decide to enter the Vegas Dodgeball Tournament, in the vain hope of winning the cash prize to save the gym, it's no surprise that Goodman enters his own team to hopefully thwart their plan.

A joyous, crude and eminently quotable underdog story that demands repeat viewings to fully catch all that is going on. Dismissd on release as being a throw away comedy from the Stiller/Vaughn frat pack brigade, Dodgeball has since gone on to surpass expectations and rise towards the top of the sports comedy table. A true ensemble piece {tho Stiller's preening Goodman takes the honours}, few films of its type have fused a character based heart with such dumb shenanigans and gotten away with it. These are odd and even sad people, but unity is a fine thing, even when wrenches are bouncing off their heads and balls are thudding into the groin! Yes it's that type of film, and we are all the better for the experience. Boasting smart use of cameos from such luminaries like William Shatner and Chuck Norris, Dodgeball is a testament to how good physical comedy can be, and of course it's always great to shout for the underdog. No matter how bizarre they may be. 8/10

Great Movie ... Thank you for not using the "Alternative Ending"

Author: sweetwasabi from Canada
4 April 2008

I think this movie is great. Very funny from start to finish, and just goes on and on with the farce humour. There were a few things that I felt went a bit to far. I mean, it was just too gross for me. Like the masturbating with a pizza. I mean, come on! Was that really necessary?

One thing that really really bugs me, is the so called "alternative ending" Where globo gym wins, and not "Average Joes." They wanted to do it that was because they wanted to tell us that you can try in life, but you don't always win.

OK, here's the problem with that. We know already! We don't need multimillionaire Hollywood celebrates telling us average Joe's and Josephine's that! We freaken know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So mister director guy, who had a problem making an ending that didn't depress us, nor one that pointed out the obvious that the average person doesn't always win, go make an independent movie or something to make a more "artistic" or "depressing" or "meaningful" movie. Hey you would have less of a budget, and make less money, but that's not what's important right?

Plus, the movie ends tightly. Brings in all lose ends. If you see it, you will know what I mean.

And, on top of which, the ending brought in Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris! He's freaken awesome! See the movie! The whole one! And ignore what the director says in the "alternative ending." It's better with a good ending, and just flat out better to end with Chuck Noriss anyways.

Sets an extremely high bar for future nonsense comedies

Author: Sa'ar Vardi (saarvardi@walla.co.il) from Kfar Saba, Israel
10 July 2007

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY", White Goodman (Ben Stiller) in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.

This ridiculous quote (don't bother searching for inner logic within it, you won't find any) is taken from one of the most zany, crude and remarkably dumb movies that were made for the silver screen in recent years. Guess what? The formula, absurd as it is, actually works. With the right cast, inexplicable cameos (Chuck Norris, Lans Armstrong and William Shatner all in one), and just the right amount of grown-up actors who are willing to embarrass themselves at any cost – Dodgeball is the best sports comedy made in the 2000's (miles better than Will Ferrell's overrated Talladega Nights).

Dodgeball tells the ludicrous story of a bunch of losers (A high school student with aspirations of becoming a male cheerleader, a man who thinks he's a pirate, a spineless nerd married to a male-ordered Asian wife and more) who work out together in a gym conveniently named "Average Joes". The manager of the gym is Peter La Fleur (Vince Vaughn, in his last pre-Wedding Crashers days), who has an ongoing dispute with one White Goodman (Stiller), the owner of a mega-successful chain of gyms who looks to take over La Fleur's gym as well. La Fleur, who is also in deep financial debts, has to come up with 50 grand as soon as possible, in order to prevent Goodman from executing his devilish scheme. When he and his brethren of losers learn about an obscure Dodgeball competition with a 50,000$ award tag attached, they must learn to play the game fast, and overcome Goodman's competing team in the finals.

The movie is very short, and very accelerating (I knew nothing about Dodgeball upon my first view, but hooked up with the rules of the game as the film went along), and pumps you up towards its adrenaline packed finale. The main course, however, is Ben Stiller's character, Goodman. Stiller gives out his best performance to date by portraying Goodman as the dumbest bad guy you'll ever see. The narcissistic head of the competitive chain of gyms is a goofy character, who speaks illogical sentences, often contradicting himself; greases himself up and masturbates with a Pizza slice (don't ask me how this works). Stiller gives Goodman the most outrageous gestures and one-liners I've seen in a while, especially when confronting Vaughn's character on screen; and comes out as a complete arrogant jerk. Stiller's real life wife, Christine Taylor, is the bisexual bank accountant who comes to La Fleur's aid and eventually falls for him (more or less). Taylor and Vaughn's chemistry with Stiller is a definite advantage that helps carry the movie throughout its comedic sequences, setting an extremely high bar for future nonsense comedies.

If you love sports and comedies, and you don't get offended easily, Dodgeball is the place to be for relaxation and guilty pleasures.

Page 2 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]