IMDb > King of the Corner (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
King of the Corner

King of the Corner More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A MUST SEE! -This could even be the kind of a movie that affects your life!

Author: mhellerman from Lincoln, NE
5 March 2005

This is a very interesting movie, it is much more powerful than what it seems to be, it will leave you thinking - This could even be the kind of a movie that affects your way of seeing life!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The main role, played by Peter Riegert is so excellently done that I have no doubt he should be considered for an Oscar and however many acting awards are out there!

At the beginning you don't know where it is all going... but then you get caught in it, and when the climax comes, with Eric Bogosian as the Rabbi (what great casting!) you just don't know if this is the biggest klutz ever, or the smartest man of wisdom in disguise! It is AWESOME! (Reminds me in that way of Peter Seller's "Being There"...

-----ok don't read anymore if you haven't seen the movie!------------

Please check the moment when he says: "A bar-mitzvah does not make a man a man, do you want to know what does?" and there is no answer... and you want to fill in the dots and say "CONFRONTING DEATH DOES", specially the dead of a parent, it is so moving because it gets you to the point, and YOU have to come to the answer...

Or when he gives the completely wrong eulogy, on how this life was really nothing special, and the son jumps to remember the little moments of his father's sacrifice, and the sacrifice was not how much he worked, necessarily but how he put energy to play with the kid EVEN when he was dead beat!

The owner of the funerary home comes to hurry things up and the Rabbi stops him by saying: "He (the son/Riegert) is saying Kaddish" (which is a prayer said for the dead)- The son is remembering his father in his own words of value, and that substitutes the Kaddish, because what better prayer is there for his father's memory than this one he is saying, where he is cherishing who he was, imperfections included!

The climax of the movie is SO powerful that it will affect you, sooner or later, take my word for it! Out of "revisiting" the father and his "value" the son can now take charge of his own "insignificant but yet so significant" life.

It is WONDERFUL that this film shows how some problems may NOT be "solved", and yet, people can go on living: I cherished the part where his wife (I. Rossellini) is saying that she doesn't know how to "solve" a situation they went through, she does not know what to ask for, how to act, but she has not forgotten what happened. In the movie there is no "solution", it is not solved and yet, it is not the end of the world. And maybe in a situation like this, there is nothing that she should ask for or get, because how could one buy "peace of mind" back? Do you erase a bad moment with gifts or apologies? And should the "hurt" party ask for compensation or is it the other party who should change something of his/her thinking? This "answerless" answer is the best solution to this kind of conflict that I have ever seen in a movie.

There is probably no one answer, but just different ways to go on living, ways that can be worse of better...

Nothing is "big" in this movie, every emotion is subtle, and the changes are subtle too, but those subtle changes can affect a life. And there are no formulas, no solutions, no destinations to arrive to, but rather the point is how the trip is faced, how are we predisposed for that trip... it is so deep and amazing that this movie is now still running in my head many hours after, and I know for a fact that it will affect me for long time to come.

This movie is definitely a bet for life... WONDERFUL. -----------------------

I had the pleasure of meeting both Shapiro and Peter Riegert tonight and they are the most awesome and kind human beings, i hope their partnership and their movie go far... I do believe Riegert should be seriously considered for an acting award here!

Thank you! Mhellerman a.k.a I from A, land of Aristarain

Great little film

Author: oldgal from Lincoln, Nebraska
4 March 2005

We're just home from the World Premiere of King of the Corner, held at the Ross Film Theatre at the University of Nebraska, where Gerald Shapiro, author of the short stories that serve as the basis of the movie, is a faculty member.

After the 7:30 showing Peter Riegert and Shapiro fielded questions from a small audience of appreciative film fans. Questions ranged from ones about the outstanding cast, to adapting literature to the screen, to the art of directing oneself, and about making movies on shoestring budgets.

The two, co-screenwriters, were entertaining and down to earth as they answered questions about the movie, which is best described as a small film, about people who seemed real, and seemed to convey a sense of universality.

Riegert, while discussing the casting, mentioned how one character was described as "a young Dustin Hoffman". The part, of course, eventually went to Jake Hoffman, Dustin's son.

Riegert said he is on a eight month tour, showing the film around the US. Be sure to check to see if he and the film are coming to a town near you- you will not be disappointed- this is a great way to spend an hour and a half.

A film with heart

Author: MontrosePix from chicago
17 December 2004

I just saw this in Chicago and despite a flawed print, the heart of the film came across in many wonderful scenes. This was shot in 20 days for under $400K and it's amazing they pulled it off, with multiple cities and an amazing batch of actors.

It is especially remarkable, given that Peter Riegert is directing it and is in almost every scene,which is not easy. It is not a perfect film, but Isabella Rossellini and Eric Bogosian are especially fabulous. I think it's clear that this is a labor of love for Peter Riegert and he will be taking across the country, city by city, to get it seen. It will definitely find an audience.

A very funny and meaningful film

Author: jpierson-1 from Bridgewater College (Virginia)
15 October 2004

I saw "King of the Corner" at a pre-release screening at Bridgewater College in Virginia two days ago. I really thought it was wonderful. The story line both moving and extremely funny. There are several scenes from the film that I keep replaying in my mind and have talked to others about since viewing the film. (A sign of a great film.)

I thought the cast, writing and direction were excellent. While most of the audience where I saw the film was composed of college aged students, I am quite a bit older (in my early 40's). The film had wonderful cross-generational humor that suggested to me that viewers of all ages (18+) would find it enjoyable. It also was quite moving at times, especially for anyone who has had to deal with issues of ill family members.

I give the film my highest rating!!!

Don't miss it!

"feel-good" kind of movie

Author: cosmos14216 from United States
27 March 2005

I saw this little Gem in Buffalo, with the added bonus of Peter discussing it with us after the showing. Besides being a refreshingly "feel-good" kind of movie,I had the rare treat of listening to and laughing with Peter Riegert, the man.

Sometimes Actors, and directors, seem much bigger than life, I was pleasantly surprised to feel his passion for this film was real human, and down to Earth.

The movie reminded me of how similar we all are no matter what walk of life we exist in.

I enjoyed this film very much.

You have got to be kidding

Author: gonadian from United States
10 February 2008

I must have seen a different movie. This was an idiotic movie on every level. The writing and plots....when Riegert goes to D'Angelo's home to return panties? No way in hell....absolutely retarded. The dialog...nothing more than a lame attempt at "Curb Your Enthusiasm"...and sorely misses the mark. The movie tries to convince you its just a "day in the life" kind of thing. The acting is forced and over the top for NO reason. The simplest of circumstances are met with intensity and complexity that just does not exist in real life. I don't know of anyone who is this stupid. Well....maybe me...for sitting through this thing.

Excellent film-understated and funny

Author: MarieGabrielle from United States
17 July 2006

Peter Riegert has done a very good work here, translating the above mentioned short story into a film. The ensemble of actors fit well, and portray a realistic story of the reality, disappointments, and comedy of everyday life.

Eli Wallach is excellent as Riegert's cantankerous, malcontent father, who finally admits he hated his job, did everything "right" but regrets never having lived.

Eric Bogosian is the rabbi, whose dark sarcasm just works, and it is particularly amusing when he takes Riegert to the dog track, to discuss funeral arrangements.Isabella Rosselini is believable as Riegert's disappointed wife, there are a few scenes with Harris Yulin, as Riegert's employer.

If you need an intelligent comedy that is somehow uplifting, watch this film. You will truly enjoy it. 9/10.

10 stars for a cast, director, writer and producer

Author: dennisrling from United States
14 April 2006

I don't know if this would be classified as a spoiler, but the scene at the funeral where Leo is speaking about his father and starts breaking down was absolutely a genuinely superb acting job by Mr. Riegert. I lost it there. Being an actor myself, you sometimes reach for associated accounts in your life to use in your role, and that is what appeared to be the case in that scene. If I were a producer, I would look for properties that I could suggest to Mr. Riegert. Many fine roles were filled with very competent actors. I was impressed by the perfection of casting. This is a finely written and directed film and Mr. Riegert should be very proud of his achievement here. I have always been impressed with his work, but I shall now look forward to his next venture.

beautiful-just beautiful.

Author: triple8 from Conn
1 April 2006

SPOILERS THROUGH:

I just recently saw this film and found it to be absolutely outstanding. In fact it's so outstanding that I am recommending it all over the place to everyone I know. I loved this movie and hope anyone stumbling on this review, who has not seen it, will check it out.

The plot's been gone over many many times but just briefly... the story centers on a middle aged man named Leo played by Peter Riegert. He is at a crossroads in his life and everything seems to be going wrong.He's having problems in his marriage, at work, with his father and with his rebellious daughter.

Kking Of The Corner, essentially is about life. Or maybe it's not just about life, it's about those little obstacles life throws at us. Leo is just an ordinary guy but he is instantly recognizable and much loved. We root for him from the beginning and the situations he finds himself in are true to life.

This is a movie rich on character development and is definitely one of those movies that has you both laughing and crying. There are some scenes in this movie that are Oscar Worthy, I am not exaggerating! I cannot believe this movie is not more widely known and my hope is that it becomes so, as more and more people see it and fall in love with it.

Peter Riegert is to be Commended. I read, on this site, about his journey across the country to get this film seen and that in itself is as amazing and touching as this gem of a film.

In addition to Riegert, the rest of the cast is great, as well, and there are three scenes I must mention. One is of coarse the funeral scene (where the reason for the title of this movie becomes clear). Second is the incredible scene between Leo and His boss. So Leo finally gets his promotion!! I absolutely loved this scene and what it says about getting ahead. Of coarse it isn't that way in every situation but I gotta say I have known people like Leo's Boss.

The third scene is the last scene and suffice to say the ending is as quality as the rest of the film. For people who like a slice of life To their movies, who like character studies, who like their humor sharp and witty and touching, for people who just like GOOD movies, you've found a dream of one here. Hats off to you Mr. Peter Riegert.

Genuine, Realistic Story

Author: JCBar from St. Louis
3 January 2006

Congrats should go out to Peter Reigert for his virtual one man effort 'King of the Corner'. He co-wrote the screenplay, produced, directed, and stars in this wonderful, 'small' film - and small is in no way a negative adjective here.

Peter Riegert stars as Leo - a man seemingly stalled, and bored with his job. There are hints at a disintegrating marriage, and also with a flawed relationship with a daughter. How he copes over a period of several weeks with these factors is the plot line of this film.

While a bit slow at times (one could be more positive and say lyrical), 'King of the Corner' is one of those labor of loves that is well worth the time and money that was expended. And that is unusual for most 'pet' projects.

Page 6 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]