IMDb > King of the Corner (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
King of the Corner

King of the Corner More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Fantastic Film

Author: Michael from Woodstock Film Festival (NY)
18 October 2004

I saw this at the Woodstock Film Festival yesterday and it had everything I look for in a film. It wasn't overdone or edgy for edginess sake. Absent was the inauthentic formulaic filler that spoils most Hollywood films for me.

Great cast, character development, wit, humor and humanity. For me it was similar to the first time I read Miller's "Death of a Salesman." It had the depth of a play.

A tremendously funny and moving film, it was a highlight (for me) at the festival. Audiences that have had enough of car chases, inane plots will probably totally dig the film. The crowd I was with at the film was overwhelmingly moved.

Excellent movie!

Author: cliffiez from Chicago Illinois
14 December 2004

I am a film student at Columbia College in Chicago, recently I had the chance to view a screening of King of the Corner. My God was it Hilarious and greatly acted. King of The Corner has to be the best movie I have seen in a long time. This is the type of movie the reeks true American Filmic Artform, and kicks the basic Hollywood nonsense right in the prunes.

It is the story of a middle aged Jewish man named Leo that is facing a mid life crisis in work, his marriage and his relationship with his father. In every circumstance, the result was a very smart, funny and intelligent climax. I don't want to talk too much about the story for fear of giving too much away and I am also not a great "critical writer" so I don't want to turn anybody off to the film. But I will say that the cast and the performances were unbelievable. Eric Bogosian plays a Rabbi in probably the funniest role i have ever seen him. Dominc "Uncle Junior" Chianese from the Sopranos is perfect in his role of a funereal director, Jake Hoffman is perfect as a weasely occupational subordinate, Rita Moreno and Beverly D'angelo are both perfect in smaller roles that fit in perfectly. But one of the best comedic performances I have seen in a long time, was Pete Riegart the director who was excellent in the title role.

I really cannot believe that he pulled it off as a writer/ actor/ director! But he did this with flying colors and I am pretty sure this film will be the first in a series of really good films with solidly built characters and plot. You will laugh and laugh hard.

Great Movie and Great Opportunity

Author: jordango-1 from United States
31 July 2005

How often do you get to see an excellent film and then participate in a question and answer session with the director afterwards? King of the Corner offers this rare opportunity as director and star Peter Riegert is travelling around the US with this movie. His tour schedule is at the film's website www.kingofthecornerfilm.com.

The movie itself is a wonderful ensemble film centering on the life of Leo Spivak (Riegert), a middle aged Jewish man with a lot of problems. His job at a market research firm doing focus groups is mundane, his father (wonderfully played by 90 year old Eli Wallach) is angry, his teenage daughter is out of control and his marriage (to the wonderful Isabella Rossellini) is in a rocky period. The movie focuses on all aspects of Spivak's life without solving his issues.

The acting is great, the movie is entertaining, and Riegert does a marvelous job in his role as co-writer, director and star. There are funny and sad parts and it will make you think. I recommend it highly.

King of the Corner

Author: bg2211 from United States
28 July 2005

We saw this wonder little film on June 11th in San Francisco. Peter Reigert was on a radio talk show KGO with Ronn Owens and spoke about his career and his new film. We went to s screening of it on the weekend and it was delightful. He is trying to market the film and he appeared after all the showings to answer questions. We went to the noon showing and when the credits rolled he appeared in the audience and the Q & A began. The film was wonderful. A little movie with humor and a lot of heart. Peter Reigert fulfilled our request to have our VHS copy of one of his older films "Crossing Delancey" signed by him, which he did. We wish him the best on getting this film seen by serious movie goers. Good Luck Peter! It was great meeting you. You movie "King of The Corner" is special! Sincerely, Joyce & Brian (San Francisco Bay Area).

Eli Wallach- The Best Performance I Have Seen This Year.

Author: staats-1 from United States
17 July 2005

Ell Wallach's performance as the lively, irascible and crotchety "King of the Corner" is the best I have seen this year. It is a shame this movie has not received distribution as it will probably doom his chances during award season. This work is a crown on his golden career that entitles him to be there.

I presume the distribution was not achieved because it was perceived to be "too Jewish." As a WV hillbilly and Friend (Quaker) this is a human movie about the human condition not just the Jewish condition.

I do not need car crashes, aliens, or super heroes. If Hollywood is wondering why people are staying home, it is because movies like this one can not find a distributor.

Many thanks to Peter Riegert (writer, director and actor) for supporting his jewel of a film. Maybe someone will allow him to make a whole movie about Sol Spivak. THAT IS A MOVIE I REALLY WANT TO SEE!

nicely done

Author: jcoga2005 from United States
16 July 2005

This is a dark comedy reminiscent of "American Beauty," plenty flawed but worth taking the trouble to see. Peter Riegert's character, Leo, makes a living moderating focus groups, frustrated with his dull job, dull marriage and rebellious daughter. Every two weeks, he flies to see his father, who lives in a nursing home in Arizona. Sometimes the jokes are a little forced, Leo's behavior a little too wacky for the stereotypical downtrodden suburban dad we've been led to believe he is. But it's dryly, wonderfully funny in unexpected places, which keeps it from sagging when it might have otherwise. "King of the Corner" is a movie about monotony and guilt, and, ultimately, every man's struggle for his father's acceptance. I look forward to Mr. Riegert's sophomore effort.

Well-Done, Witty and Poignant Character Study

Author: ghecht11 from United States
13 July 2005

I screened this film at its Kansas City opening and found it an enjoyable and revealing tale of family life and a slice of modern Americana with more that one surprise and twist along the way. It is a film of depth and subtle textures that engages the audience by layers as it explores the personalities and relationships that propel the central characters through their lives. Peter Reigert and Isabella Rossellini turn in sensitive performances with a wonderful counterpoint provided by Eli Wallach in the role of the family patriarch.

Reigert's direction is cogent and trim, based on a literate, thoughtful script by Gerald Shapiro.

A must see comment of everyday life.

Author: fdrey1 from United States
7 July 2005

It's been 3 days since I've seen this wonderful movie and still thinking about it and all the wonderful stories it contains. It should have been included with all the movies up for awards this year. There is something in this movie for everyone to relate to in their life.

I just left a woman of 101 who used the line "Why is it so hard to die"? How many people have felt the same?

How many have been caught in a routine position where there is always the fear of losing their job and not really feeling happy or appreciated for their work?

How many of us have worried about our teenage children?

All of these relevant subjects have been developed in this marvelous film with deep thought and much humor.

go see this film

Author: ethanherschenfeld from United States
7 July 2005

the film is excellent. based on a great book of short stories "bad jews and other stories" which i read and enjoyed in 2003. the film combines elements from two of those short stories into a compelling drama which is both really really funny, and poignant. if you have a father, or a daughter, or a wife, or a job, it will resonate with you. if you have none of the above, it will still resonate with you. great characters and performances by a top notch cast. and a hilarious Gregory Peck bit. bogosian is maybe the best rabbi on film since the frisco kid. the only reason i don't give it a 10 is because that rating is reserved for Xanadu and Xanadu alone.

Warm, funny and thought-provoking

Author: Daisyschain from United States
5 July 2005

This movie is so subtly well crafted that many of the themes aren't apparent until hours or even days after viewing it. The meaning of the title "King of the Corner" isn't apparent until well into the movie when Leo, at his father's funeral, tells the story of playing with him in the neighborhood pool as a young boy and his Dad tirelessly defending his corner of the pool against all comers. What becomes clear is that as a metaphor for the issues being faced by each generation of the Spivak family. Elaina is a teenager struggling for some freedom with her parents, skillfully playing them off of each other. Leo is struggling for some meaning in his life. In spite of having Middle-America's "dream life" - a lovely suburban home, a beautiful daughter (Ashly Johnson) and a gorgeous wife (Isabella Rossellini), he's unfulfilled and acts out in self-destructive ways. It's not until he finds a way to be "king" of his own corner of the world that he manages to take charge of his life, albeit accidentally.

Even though the family portrayed is Jewish, it's not an ethnic film. The trials of this family are universal and the appeal of the film is that the characters are warm and real.

If go to movies expecting action and sex, this film's probably not for you (though there is a bit of both alluded to here). If you enjoy skillfully crafted character studies, you'll probably like this movie. Four days after seeing it, I'm still savoring the characters.

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]