IMDb > Dawn of the Dead (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dawn of the Dead

Dawn of the Dead More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 107: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

Better than the 1st I think so

Author: keithk3391 from United States
23 November 2008

Dawn of Dead (remake) 9/10 This is the type of fast pacing movie makes it enjoyable film to watch with your buds. The beginning of this film is perfect for a zombie film. Gets you right in the action and never ends. There is more characters in this remake and having the gun shop owner across the mall made it even more enjoyable. The zombies have great special effects and the struggle of escaping the zombies being the strongest point of the movie.

Least favorite points: baby zombie.... cool but not necessary I see where the idea would come from when the original was made the female lead was preagnet. I guess director wanted to show how it be if the baby turn into a zombie. Favorite Part: setting, pacing, the buses, ending

Recommendation: Don't ever watch this film alone. I think it is more enjoyable with a group. So I would not own this film, but what horror movie is worth owning. If you think this is a scary and suspenseful film not for you.

Worthy of regard as a stand-alone film.

Author: Admiral_DongSmoker_III from United States
22 October 2008

Please note that some of the content below could be considered spoilerish.

The 2004 version of "Dawn of the Dead" could definitely be a standalone from the original. The similarities I noted in this film to the original are as follows; 1. The Title 2. Zombies 3. Survivors stuck in a mall.

Not only is the movie unique from the original, but it's not close to bad. Many of the scenes become incredibly tense, and the cast of characters don't make terrible decisions that would get them killed, like in so many other modern horrors. The ending was a little bit of a stretch, but the characters felt very real, for the most part, and the dialog and acting were quite good.

Make sure to stay for the credits, too. There's not so much a secret scene after them, as there are a variety of scenes during, which were surprisingly disturbing.

Far exceeded my expectations. 9/10

The dead just get better

Author: amesmonde from Novelist of The Final Version
15 October 2008

A group of strangers take refuge in shopping mall, in a desperate attempt to survive a zombie outbreak.

You know Michael Cain once said, to paraphrase, 'why do they always bloody remake good films, they should remake the bad ones'. Of course I agree with this, but Michael went on to star in the remake of Get Carter and Sleuth. So to follow in Michael's foot steps and do a u turn, I'd like to state the re-imagining/remake of Dawn of the dead is a blast.

Although I love George's original Dawn of the dead, with his traditional slow moving dead, the zombies in this remake Directed by Zack Snyder (who went on to direct 300 & Watchmen) move fast. The fast moving are like the virus infected people in 28 days/weeks later. They are just plain menacing and bloodcurdling.

Zack Snyder directs a solid cast of relatively unknowns, Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames and Jake Weber. The body of the story is the same as the original only this time a nurse, a policeman, a young married couple, a salesman, and other survivors arrive at a shopping mall for protection from the hordes of zombies that await outside.

The effects are excellent and the first 15 minutes of the film is crafted and executed to a standard that I'm sure Hitchcock would have been proud of - it's pure tension, scares and horror.

In retrospect Dawn of the dead 2004 is probably the most underrated re-imagining/remake ever. Grab a raw steak and watch it if you don't believe me.

just a satisfactory terror action movie

Author: (butchfilms@hotmail.com) from Peru
12 October 2008

this is a terror action movie that is just satisfactory, we have watched many movies like this before and i can say that it doesn't give us new things. the beginning of the movie offers a biggest expectation of what it finally delivers. i am not saying that this is a bad movie, but i would recommend to the general public watching this movie just if this is on TV unless u are a really fan of this kind of terror action films.the movie is about a group of people who try to survive in a mall the attacks of an epidemic that makes alive to dead people, and this living dead beings try to bite the normal people to turn them in one of themselves.

Quality scares that many remakes fail to achieve.

Author: FilmFanInTheHouse from Berkshire, England
9 July 2008

Dawn of the Dead (2004, Dir. Zack Snyder)

Due to unknown reasons the dead are returning to walk the earth and will attack anyone who gets in their way. A small group of survivors band together and decided to hide out in a large mall. The survivors manage to sustain control in the mall, but when supplies start to run low, another plan needs to emerge.

Successful zombie remake which actually provides quality acting from its stars along with the superb zombie makeup. The closed surroundings and the realistic sets really provide quality scares that many remakes fail to achieve.

Why are they coming here? – Ana (Sarah Polley)

Memory, maybe. Instinct. Maybe their coming for us. – Kenneth (Ving Rhames)

This is how remakes should be made.

Author: MairegChernet (mchernet15@gmail.com) from United States
9 June 2008

I have not seen the original Dawn of The Dead. However seeing this awesome remake I want to see the original and compare the two. Zack Snyder makes this unforgettable remake by taking George A. Romeo's screenplay and adding the new millennium's CGI effects. 90 percent of the film is filled with zombie action and blood splattering all over. The other 10 percent focuses on the main characters' back ground info and characters turning on one another.

Although I shouldn't say this this without watching the first This is perhaps the best remake of all time. A new era for Zack Snyder. Overall A very Good slasher movie.

worth watching

Author: Siloty from Australia
29 May 2008

OK i bought this movie relatively cheap and was like, "awesome a zombie movie".

i watched it at night to add to the atmosphere i knew the movie would create. i was really excited to see it because i hadnt seen many zombie movies before. the zombies were convincing too.

i gotta say, the movie was quite entertaining. i mean its not original, but its definitely worth watching.

the atmosphere of the movie was really well given.

Ving Rhames i thought was just a totally awesome hero-type in the movie. and all in all the acting wasn't too bad.

i liked the whole thing of holing up in a shopping mall for survival and then people starting to get on each other's nerves.

even though how serious this movie was, there were actually some light funny bits which just really add to the experience of the movie, and a good one at that.

i recommend to sit down and watch this movie maybe with some mates, or by yourself, but definitely at night-time, just adds to that atmosphere.

Not As Good As The Original But Entertaining Nonetheless.

Author: LagerLagerLagerShouting from England
30 April 2008

I really enjoyed this remake of George Romero's classic 1978 zombie shocker. After the pointless, basically frame-for-frame colour remake of the original Night of The Living Dead in 1990, I wasn't sure remaking the best of the original trilogy was a great idea but Zack Snyder got it spot on. Instead of creating a scene-for-scene remake like the former remake he just takes the basic premise and updates it for a new generation horror audience complete with brilliant scenes of terror, stylish visuals, loads more humour than the original and last but not least buckets of gore. This film was mindlessly entertaining and surpasses the generic self- reflexive formula of recent horror films to deliver a memorable, visceral piece of horror cinema.

Best Movie(my movie)

Author: Danzig Hall
4 April 2008

This is my all time best Zombie movie, because it had all the works for a great movie!!!! comedy,blood,guts,gore,head shots, it just has it all. I love this movie i watched it at the theater, then of course ended up buying the DVD. I watched this movie every single day, i watched it so much that i ended up ruining it and had 2 buy another 1 LOL, but anyway, i knew word for word, line for line, and watch so much that i c and saw everything u could in a movie, noticed that littlest things in the movie that 1 wouldn't of seen at all unless u watched it over and over. I love George A Romero, he is a god in making zombie movies he is the man!!!! his dead series!!! the only movie that i didn't really cared for is Land of the dead!!! reason is that it wasn't nearly as good as dawn of the dead, Caz i was expecting something out of this world, compared 2 dawn of the dead i was like this movie is gonna blow DOD out of the water, which it didn't.

I did like the fact the zombies in land of the dead could kinda talk well the black guy, and they had learned few things like moving and getting somewhere and actually fighting back with weapons!!! which was kinda cool, but Dawn of the dead is the greatest zombie movie EVER!!! in my opinion, not no1 Else's, so i don't want people 2 get the wrong idea, or argue with me saying no its not the best movie or the usual crap people say 2 others remember it my favorite movie and my best zombie movie of all time in my mind and my point of view!!!! thats all, i just love this movie!!! Sarah Polly makes a great lead in this movie!!! didn't mind her at all actually, compared 2 her other movies back in the day LOL. The ending when mike got bitten and didn't tell ne1 till the bitter end kinda sucked!!! They should of started the next movie with them, going 2 the island, and picking up from there!!!

I think that would of been kinda neat having part#2 with the same characters and starting off the boat and walking towards the woods and finding a new breed of zombies!!! then end up figuring out where the virus came from the organs of it some how and just something like that!!! but oh well if u haven't seen this movie and r a zombie fen!!! watch this and if u hadn't already WTF u doing LOL, there is no boring parts or no break in the action, meaning the whole movie keeps u interested and wanting 2 watch it again and again!!!.

Well thanks a lot and hope 2 watch plenty more zombie movies!!!!

Great Horror Movie, Bad Remake

Author: tomasvandevoorde from Belgium
18 March 2008

If you haven't seen the original from 1978 then you're gonna love this one great effects the zombies are awesome it it really scares the crap out of you! A great movie to use for a Halloweennight or something.

If you did saw the original and you liked it (a lot) then you're gonna be disappointed. Not only did they change the plot (except that the story is in a mall) but they change also Romero's trademark: slow-moving zombies. They can run like the devil is chasing them.

So this is not the best movie if you're a Romerofan.

Still a good movie and I am a Romerofan, I was disappointed when I saw zombies running but thats the only thing I didn't like about it, so you might wanna try it out.