IMDb > Black Cloud (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Round of applause

Author: from United States
31 March 2005

First showing sold out. Received a well deserved round of applause & standing O--lead by an elementary school kid. Incredible movie. Awesome hero. Great boxing scenes, gorgeous cinematography , funny jokes. Realistic & entertaining. (How often do you get that?) Good soundtrack. So surprised did not see a wider release or shown at bigger festivals. (Keep hope alive.) Anyone who thinks this is a niche film did not watch it. It is a people movie. It should have at least followed Smoke Signals' steps. I am sure it will have a cult following once on DVD. Everyone who is a part of this movie should be so proud of what they have achieved. Cannot be articulated.

EXCELLENT, INSPIRATIONAL, and Outstanding!

Author: Desertdback from Phoenix, AZ (USA)
4 April 2004

I just saw Black Cloud today at the Phoenix Film Festival at it's world premiere. This was by far the best film at the festival. I absolutely loved it and enjoyed every minute of it. It is truly an inspirational film for the entire family.

A film that was truly about people, about real people. The almost entire Native American cast did an outstanding job on this film. I wasn't expecting much from this film but came away with a lot. If you have the chance to see this film definitely see it. One of the best films I have seen so far this year, in this festival, but also outside of the festival as well. LOVED IT !

Excellent - Young Navajo Boxer Deals With His Demons

Author: rsjs619 from Tennessee
1 May 2004

I saw this movie last night at the Nashville Film Festival. It was a surprisingly good movie. Young Lakota actor, Eddie Spears, does an excellent job with the lead as "Black Cloud." Russell Means, his boxing mentor "Bud", is wonderful. This movie evokes obvious parallels to the original "Rocky" but has a lot more depth regarding the young man's personal demons and his place within his Native American heritage and the problems of the modern reservation.

The movie is romantic, inspiring, funny and sad and delivers many truths about reservation life and the challenges of Indians who want to rise above the difficulties they face. Rick Schroder's screenplay is very good.

Steve Gainer's cinematography is stunning. There are some wonderful scenes of horses and the outdoor beauty of the Navajo Reservation.

Julia Jones, as Sammi, is convincing and a real cutie.

Country singer Tim McGraw debuts in this film as the Sheriff. He is good in the role.

Some of McGraw's songs are in the movie and, one is delivered very humorously in a Karaoke scene. The end credits roll behind Pat Green's "Wave on Wave."

Schroder is a "bad guy" in this movie and did a convincing job. He revealed he stepped into that role at the last minute because the original choice for the part was a rodeo cowboy with no experience who apparently "froze" when they were trying to shoot his parts.

The acting is quite good even though many of the actors are young and unknown to most audiences.

Rick Schroder was present at the screening I saw. He and Eddie Spears, Julia Jones and Director of Photography Steve Gainer graciously answered questions from the audience following the screening. They all showed considerable class and humility. I was very glad to have been to see the movie and heard the principals discuss their roles more in depth.

Schroder mentioned this movie was made for about a million dollars which is ridiculously low by Hollywood standards. The high quality of the finished movie does not reflect its modest budget and Schroder says that is because it was a labor of love by the participants. It is obvious he is right.

I highly recommend this movie.

Eddie Spears is SO HOT!

Author: ojibway_princess from Canada
22 February 2006

The movie itself is great! A lot of great performances.. and great inspirational story line, proves if you work hard enough you can attain anything!..

also..

It's nice to see Native Americans playing other roles besides whaling warriors on the great plains.. not only is it stereotypical, but unrealistic.. Hollywood needs to realize that we as Native Americans have a bigger story to tell, we can surpass any crisis in life just as those who battle life's struggles.. I'm proud to put my comment on here not only as a avid movie lover, collector and critic, but as a Proud Member of the First Nations People!

Stay Strong, Stay Proud!!

Love Ya Eddie, Keep up The Great Work; you make us all proud!!

/Robin M

I just saw Black Cloud at the Boston Film Fest and I was totally impressed.

Author: mesamood from Barclona Spain
17 September 2004

This movie is definitely worth seeing. It is a very interesting mix of "Rocky" meets a "Western". A friend of mine saw the film in Montana last week and told me the crowd was blown away as well. I heard they made it for a million bucks. WOW. Tim McGraw is very good as the sheriff. Rick Schroder has ton's of talent as a writer and a big future directing. He was just nominated for a CMA award for best country music video. The girl is hot in the movie. I give it a big thumbs up. Peter Greene is the best I have ever seen him. He was the guy in the mask. Wayne Knight plays a creepy part as a pervert and is totally believable. The cinematography is incredible and the boxing scenes the most realistic I have ever seen.

For the budget and time spent filming - this is a great movie

Author: paxtonjm from Surprise, Arizona
28 June 2005

I would have liked to see what they could have done with more money and budget! Rick Shroder did a great job, and all the actors are to be applauded as well.

I was afraid this movie might be too "dark" or "violent". Instead, I found it thought provoking.

What I found most thought provoking was that Black Cloud finds out in the movie he has white blood in him. He feels this is a demon part of him, it is seen as impure. A good part of the movie is spent with him fighting his own internal demons. We all have demons - Shroder's ability to capture this for us, show us the struggle, and then the eventual acceptance and the strength that ones gains when you come to accept yourself is thought provoking in itself. To be able to do so in a story that is about love, friendship, and becoming a man - makes this story entertaining for all.

Please take your kids to see this movie. It is a great movie for teenagers and all audiences.

I liked it very much and loved seeing new Indian talent in the movie.

Author: mkelly-11 from Minnesota
3 October 2004

I saw Black Cloud in Phoenix and liked it very much. Although some people have said the movie contains "stereotypes," I have worked with Indian people over the years and many of them have seen this movie and like it for its fair representation of Indian people in transition from one way of life to another. I heard Russell Means, one of the older Indian actors in the movie, say that he chose to do the script (apparently for not very much money!) because he felt it was an honest depiction of Indian people and the challenges they face. If Indian people are OK with it, I don't know why anybody else should have a problem. I especially liked seeing talented young Indian actors have a chance to show their stuff. I think both Eddie Spears and Julia Jones have great potential, and I hope to see more of them in future. I was impressed with the technical values of the movie--photography and editing, plus the music. For a first-time director, I think Rick Schroder did a terrific job.

Inspiring

Author: Amanda Syljuberget from Bozeman, MT
9 September 2004

I have just returned from seeing this film at the first annual Hatchfest, where Rick Shroder and the cast showed what an amazing piece of art they have created. The budget was minimal (only $750,000), the acting superb, and was made in only four weeks. This is the ultimate independent film.

Eddie Spears makes his debut as a lead actor and embodies the very essence of his character. I enjoyed the entire cast and applaud Shroder for writing and making a film about REAL Indians. Too often Hollywood turns its back on incredible actors because of their skin color. I hope, for my own sake, that Eddie Spears does not fade into the catacombs of Native actors.

I recommend this film to anyone and everyone and hope that you take two hours out of your life to see Black Cloud. It will open your eyes and give you a breath of fresh air.

Very enjoyable good acting good story

Author: jenlvsgarth from Nashville, TN
5 May 2004

I saw Black Cloud this past weekend at the Nashville Film Festival The story was very well told, I really enjoyed the cinematography and the editing, I thought both were very well done. The actors were all good including Tim Mcgraw as the sheriff. The Script was a bit dry in places and has a few cheesy lines but overall I thought the film was very well done. Rick did a fantastic job of directing his first film and I recommend if you enjoy boxing, it does have a bit of violence in the film. You go and see it. There are some very violent scenes so anyone who does not like that I don't recommend this film. My over all experience with the film was a good one, The movie depicted the real life of these Indian reservations camps and how they are sometimes treated.

Very enjoyable

Well done for a $1 million movie.

Author: casket_lottery from Phoenix, AZ
6 April 2004

I saw this at the Phoenix Film Festival. For a low budget of a million dollars, it was well done.

The story line and dialogue are pretty typical, that being the "overcoming the odds to triumph in the end" movie. A few clichés in dialogue like, "rules are meant to be broken" sprinkle throughout. But the cinematography was good and the fight scenes were the most impressive aspect of the movie. When I looked up IMDB to see who choreographed the boxing, I wasn't surprised to see Jimmy Gambina, who did "Snake Eyes" and was a technical advisor for "Rocky," because of how well done the scenes were. I was surprised, however, that he was on the crew for the film with such a low budget.

Another impressive consideration is that they filmed this movie in something like fourteen days!

For the first movie written and directed by Rick Schroder, it was very well done. Also, this is a good movie for the whole family, minus the violent fight scenes.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]