IMDb > Beyond the Sea (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Beyond the Sea

Beyond the Sea More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 25: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Beyond The Sea is a Majestic Masterpiece

Author: Jesse Heiman from Studio City, CA
3 January 2005

Went to see "Beyond The Sea" with a skeptical tone because of the somewhat lukewarm reviews online and in the press. But it is an amazing portrayal of the life of Bobby Darin and the struggles he had in his life. The performances of Kevin Spacey, Kate Bosworth and the kid who plays Bobby Darin at a younger age are Oscar-Worthy. The critics are wrong, this is a great picture and should be seen by young and old alike.

The songs are all done well and Kevin Spacey does not overdo it as some have said. There are sometimes when the film feels like it will fall apart at some point, but that never happens and the result is just beautiful. There is something going on this year with Biopics. I've seen The Aviator, Finding Neverland, and Ray and they all are done superbly by their respective cast and crew. But I sure hope the nomination committees for the Screen Actor's Guild and Academy Awards shows do not skim over one of the best films of the year, Beyond The Sea.

Saw advanced screening last night

Author: Reeltimer from United States
22 December 2004

I was a little leery on seeing this film, but must say that I enjoyed it. I haven't seen too many biographies, so I didn't have too much to compare it too.

I thought the dancing and the music were light and good. Really was surprised at Kevin Spacey's voice

The first half of the movie was better than the second. It moved along quicker. I enjoyed the humor in the movie.

At times, the age difference between Spacey and Bobby were too evident.

I thought Kevin Spacey did a nice job, and his voice sounded good.

I thought the way that they ended the film could be better and more dramatic.

If you were a teen or young adult during this time, you should enjoy the movie

Magical in its own way

Author: statuskuo from United States
5 March 2014

I really appreciated what Spacey was trying to accomplish here, and without using the word "daring" I believe he got the sense of the man somewhat. Very vague at points and sometimes, inappropriately comically dark, this is a movie made if Bobby Darin ever got a chance to direct.

I enjoyed the movie a great deal. The last half, seems a bit labored. And frankly not as fun as the front half. Which is unpleasant and unfortunately by hanging to the truth, we have to let go with the downside. Bosworth's Sandra Dee disappears towards the end of the movie. It seems that the focus is on Darin but then shifts to their relationship only to be reminded that she was part of it. She seemed a bit cardboard for my taste. And they glossed over some darkness in her past.

I went away not really learning anything new, I didn't already know about the guy. It'd be interesting if it were a fictional character. I think, since Darin was a celebrity, this may've handicapped Spacey in that aspect. I honestly believed this could've been a crushing home run, had it just stepped a little further over the edge. All-in-all sweet and worth the time.

Two different movies?

Author: tsmith417 from United States
9 July 2008

I liked the first half of "Beyond The Sea", with its production numbers and people dancing in the streets and love blooming all over the place and rising above adversity to achieve fame and fortune ...

... but then the second half was like a whole different movie. No more dancing in the streets, nothing to be happy about at all, just illness, alcoholism, politics, audience rejection and early death.

Okay, so maybe real life ain't all singing and dancing and fantasy but if it ain't, then why have it in the movie to begin with? What started out to be a fun film turned somber so quickly that it was distracting. I kept waiting for the fun to come back and it never did.

I had no problem with the age thing but I wish they had used Darin's original recordings. Kevin Spacey might have a fine voice but everybody knows how "Mack the Knife" is supposed to sound and Mr. Spacey changed it just enough to make his version seem somehow almost blasphemous.

Unorthodox biopic that pleases

Author: martysgirl1 from Scotland, UK
9 February 2006

The only I knew going into this movie when it showed on Sky Movies two weeks ago was Kevin Spacey starred in it. I hadn't heard of Bobby Darin before (though I had heard his music) the movie and once it got started I was expecting a slow Ray-like documentary style telling of Bobby's story from the kid not meant to live past the age of 15 to one of America's greatest nightclub entertainers. What I got was much different. Beyond the Sea has a fantasy angle throughout in which Bobby Darin is directing a movie of his life in a movie of his life. It works very well and unlike some others I do not think little Bobby, played spectacularly by William Ullrich, is annoying. The use of music numbers to move the story is unique and adds a certain something to the film. I know a lot has been written about Spacey being too old to play the part but I think he's the only one who could have played Bobby. It was only at the end credits, once Spacey had already won me over and I was ready to delve into Bobby Darin's music, that I learned all the roles he had taken on the movie; director, writer, producer, singer, dancer and actor. That just solidified for me that it was labour of love for him. He's wanted to get Bobby's story on the screen for 14 years and the journey has come to end with a brilliant piece of film that I will recommend to anyone.

Could not be categorized, because he was great at everything.

Author: alexandre michel liberman (tmwest) from S. Paulo, Brazil
13 January 2006

In 1961 (almost sure) I went for a couple of days to New York and decided to spend my economies at the Copacabana to see Bobby Darin. It was an unforgettable experience. The show was great including a comedian who did imitations and came in before Darin. Bobby Darin had a peculiar talent: he was excellent at everything he tried to do, and in a certain way it went against him, because people want to categorize you when you are in show business, it makes you easier to sell. He started with a rock and roll hit "Splish Splash", went on to a fantastic version of "Mack The Knife" in a completely different style, kept on with that style, eventually came out with another rock and roll hit "Dream Lover". In the meantime he made some movies, was so good that he got nominated for an Oscar, even made a western where he came out quite well. Kevin Spacey is very good as Darin, and so is Kate Bosworth as Sandra Dee. The film is worth seeing because of the interesting subject but it lacks a script that could make it more meaningful. Nowadays, more than 40 years later a great new singer Michael Buble mentions Bobby Darin and Louis Armstrong in his version of Mack The Knife.The curiosity about Mack The Knife is that it was written by Bertolt Brecht, for one of his plays.

Kevin Spacey is a Genius....I just Love him!

Author: Cookyb45 from South Florida
24 October 2005

I know this is supposed to be about the 'Movie', but without Spacey there wouldn't be THIS movie. I doubt there's a role he couldn't play, or a challenge he can't conquer. If you enjoyed Darrin's music and style, you'll see it all over again in Spacey's portrayal. I've loved Bobby Darrin from his record debut. Even if you didn't know the real Bobby Darrin, this is the vehicle to ride. My only regret? I could have watched for two more hours. If you enjoy a biographical, you'll enjoy Darrin's lifetime exposure. Also learned things about the singer/actor that I never knew; and I thought I was a Fan! Kate Bosworth did a decent job portraying Sandra Dee, also a favorite of mine, and just about every other teen in the 60's. There were several scenes where you could 'see' Sandra Dee. Also, costuming was right on! All involved in the production of this movie gave their 110%, and it shows. Two thumbs up and two more for Spacey tho. Just a genius!

simply underrated performance

Author: John Dryburgh from Nanjing, China
30 September 2005

The 'biopoic' of BD actually skips out large parts or his short life and makes very little mention of the extraordinary success he had - except at the end as part of the end titles. It is still a remarkable film and captures what a wonderfully talented person he was.

Forget the fact that Kevin Spacey was too old to play Darin - he made the film possible in the first place and I doubt if any other (younger) actor could have pulled it off AND sang all his own songs. Kevin Spacey put in what must surely have been one of the performances of the decade and proved that he is also a excellent singer and crooner. He always has been underrated and is one of the true nice guys of 'hollywood' and one of the few actors that I can say I'd actually like to meet.

Some of the scenes were unforgettable but the last time he sings in Vegas and does that rendition of 'simple song of freedom' brings a tear to the eye and a lump to the throat. nuff said! 9/10 - but only because of the lack of real BD songs. Not to be missed if you like that sort of music.

Amazing crooner

Author: gaylaflowers from United States
28 August 2005

Kevin Spacey amazes me yet again. Growing up watching Bobby Darin, remembering his television show when I was a little girl, and seeing Kevin Spacey sing and dance - he was transformed into Darin before my eyes.

Each time I see Spacey create a new character, I am in awe of his talent. His ability to transform into the characters he portray leaves me weak in the knees more times than not. I am thoroughly convinced he IS who he portrays.

This film, though not 100% factual, was very entertaining in the way that the old 50's and 60's films were. I remember watching "If A Man Answers" with Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee - as a child - and thinking now upon the man that played Darin in this film, I can see him side-by-side with the real Sandra Dee.

I believe Kevin Spacey is a paradox - how else is he able to transcend the present and go so easily back into the past. And to think he sang all those songs himself - no lip-syncing for him. What a man!!!

Beyond the Sea

Author: evan_ginzburg from United States
18 August 2005

I loved Bobby Darin and I love this movie. Yes, it was disconcerting that Spacey looked too old to play the younger Darin. And yes, it did leave out important aspects of Bobby's life (i.e. his 2nd wife- gee, didn't that rate?). But the sheer courage of the fantasy sequences, dance numbers and unusual plot devices made this memorable and most certainly pleasurable. I don't quite understand why many critics were so harsh- did they assume that just because a man produces/directs/stars/sings in a film it's an "ego trip?" To me it totally felt like a loving tribute to a man whose talent I also tremendously respect. And yes, Darin remains immortal. And this film can only help on that end.