IMDb > New York Minute (2004/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 12: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Amanda and Alyssa Aged about 10 years

Author: Barb67 from NYC, NY
24 March 2005

These characters are basically the same girls as in It Takes Two, just with different names and parents. But the fan of that movie can easily see how the personalities are as identical as the twins faces.

Picture naughty Amanda as wild Roxy, and Prissy Alyssa as neurotic, anal retentive Jane. Have them grow apart during teen years due to clashing personalities and the send them into Manhattan on a wild teen adventure being chased by Eugene Levy, and you have the picture.

Curious, I check the twin's bios to see which played which in both films...

Ashley played Alyssa Calloway, the priss, and also plays Jane here...

M.K. played both Amanda and Roxie...

So I guess probably in real life the girls are the same, with Ashley the proper one, and MK wild... Makes sense with all the anorexia and other stuff...

Well the movie was OK, but I prefer the girls first plot involving these girl characters.

Silly and absurd, but the girls were cute

Author: g-y from Northern Europe
4 February 2005

Spoilers. That was such an absurd movie!!!! Naive and hilarious... in that naive sort of way. Take this for an example - two girls wrapped in towels run along the streets of New York. OR get themselves thrown in the drain or something, which is exactly where they hold sisterly conversations, while strolling along that place waist-high in water. How was that for dull? So the movie was a bit stylish and romantic. But when I paused it, it wasn't like I wanted to continue watching it. Dunno why I did to the matter. OK, the twins are nice, but that's just about it. Honestly, if not for the absurd situations, it would be very bearable. This movie's for 13-year-old girls. And was that Danny from Full House?? Yeah, it was.

Not BAD..

Author: Josie (zazie_the_beast2004@yahoo.com.au) from Sydney, Australia
1 January 2005

I watched this movie at my friend's house and I quite frankly found it more than a little boring. I mean, it wasn't BAD, it started out well but then it just bored me to wherever. And another thing, Mary-Kate's character, Roxy. Eh.. she was so gung-ho about the Simple Plan video-shooting-concert-watchamacallit. Simple Plan and Metallica are very different genres. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Simple Plan. Its just that it seemed that her character wasn't current-like-mainstream, at least at the beginning it did, and that would've been a lot more interesting, maybe for some people, if it'd been a less-mainstream band and such. I mean, it HAD to be Simple Plan, didn't it?

Overall, the movie could've been a lot better than it was.

The Olsen twins grew up beautiful!

Author: MsMovie from United States
5 June 2004

So, the premise of this movie is simple – twin sisters (obviously!) who are very different from one another end up spending a chaotic day together, by the end of which they understand and appreciate each other a lot more. Well, OK, it's not that original, but Mary Kate and Ashley can act, so they do carry the film off as well as they can, unfortunately, why they (or `their people') agreed to do this script is beyond me.

The script is pretty lame and many of the scenes in it are too contrived or fuelled by way too many coincidences to be believed, and yet there are genuinely funny parts too. It's just that some of the funny parts seem to be aimed at a much older audience than the target one the film should be aimed at.

I have seen much worse movies, but considering some of the trash being produced lately that's not saying much.

You should see this movie if: a) you are a big fan of the twins (it's fairly typical Olsen twins stuff) b) you are desperate to get inside (to get away from bad weather, hot weather, or perhaps a stalker). c) You have a movie subscription card (like me) and therefore see everything.

I have given this movie a 6 out of 10 – it really isn't as bad as some people are saying, but all I would say is the Olsen twins' people need to be more discerning about what they sign them up for – money is not everything.

I'd love to see them in en emotional type of storyline – I think they CAN act, they just need to be able to show it!

Bad..Bad..Bad...only saving grace is your imagination

Author: todd72173 from Jersey City
31 May 2004

How do movies this bad get made? The only saving grace was to imagine the twins in anything but this movie...The script was horrible. That chinese guy (Connan Obriens X-Sidekick) should be embarrassed. Also, "Lomax" also played such a embarrassing role. How do the twins lift a sewer cover with no problem? There were other "unbelievable" moments, but I already forgot them. In a few years the twins should appear in playboy...which would be a major upgrade from this heap of trash...

Not recommended at all. Go see Shrek 2, Troy, Day after tomorrow, Van Helsing, anything but this.. Avoid..

For 10 to 16 year-old girls

Author: jimorris from Arlington, VA
5 May 2004

"New York Minute" is a summer movie for 10 to 16 year-old girls. The Olsen twins film tells the tale of twins who have many mis-adventures during a day-time trip to New York City. The sisters have very different personalities and very different reasons for going to the "big apple". Neither one has a boy friend when the film starts but both end up with a boy friend when the film ends. Supporting cast is basically window dressing so your reason for seeing this should not be to see them, but rather to see the maturing twins.

GRADES = For target audience, "B"; others, "C"

This comedy was a little corny

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
5 May 2004

Two twin sisters have little in common; Jane Ryan (Ashley Olsen) is an overachiever, who has her life organized in her dayplanner, and Roxy Ryan (Mary-Kate Olsen) is a wild rock band drummer with a history of skipping school. Jane must take the train to New York City to give a speech at Columbia University for a competition to win a scholarship to Oxford University. Jane wants to win the scholarship to get far away from Roxy. Roxy is skipping school to go to a Simple Plan music video shoot, and is on the same train as Jane. Both are thrown off the train, and they get a ride in a limo to New York. Unknowingly, they get involved in a stolen microchip involving black market music piracy. While they are on their quest, Lomax (Eugene Levy), a crazy truant officer, is pursuing his number one truant, Roxy. Both girls travel through Chinatown, Harlem, and finally end up at Columbia University. This comedy is a little corny, but it was made for the adolescent audience. (Warner Brothers Pictures, Run Time 1:26, Rated PG) (6/10)

VERY GOOD MOVIE - A MUST SEE

Author: AgentsCasting from Los Angeles, CA
13 May 2004

I have read many reviews of this movie that state that it is not good.

IT IS A VERY GOOD MOVIE.

Comparing it to other movies that are not in its genre is an unfair comparison. It's apples to oranges. You must compare this movie to other movies of its genre.

It's cute, action-packed, exciting, has a plausible story line, beautiful lead actresses, quirky characters (and each main character has a focused personality, not just shied upon), great cinematography, great editing, great directing. And it's set in New York City. What more could you want?

IT IS A VERY GOOD MOVIE.

This Film would have to improve to smell!

Author: elskootero (elskootero@hotmail.com) from Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
11 December 2004

HOOOO Boy, did they bite the bullet on this one! I can really only comment on the first 20 minutes of this abysmal film, as that's all my wife and I could stand - we were laughing so hard at the God-awful acting! Is Eugene Levy having a hard time, that he should have to stoop to appearing in trash like this? I would rather coat myself with fresh blood and swim through the Amazon River lengthwise (it's infested with Red Bellied Piranha). Don't they make enough money from their questionably silly investments already? Why did they have to butcher the film industry with this example of celluloid pollution? This movie sucks WORSE than a Barney Frank Fan Club Convention! The only nice thing I can say about those two is that it's a good thing that triplets didn't run in their family! This film is just a 2 hour, slightly STUPIDER version of Full House!

better than most but still bad at best

Author: looneygal from India
9 April 2005

Well, the best thing about this movie was that it featured Simple Plan, 1 of my favorite rock groups.But it is absolutely beyond me why they would want to be in an Olsen movie.also Jared Padalecki was REALLY hot!! watched it bout a year back but as far as i remember the movie was pretty lame!! I have disliked the twins ever since their full house days but this movie was vaguely better than the rest. in fact the Olsen fans(thought i will never know why they have any) must b in heaven at the fact that they made an actual watchable film. it was rather moronic not to mention racist and extremely unrealistic . but some of the jokes were amusing and unlike most of the movies, the tension between the twins was something that a lot of teenagers can relate to. i think Eugene Levey's character was kinda lame as well as being obnoxious and unrealistic. the twins don't have a lot of acting potential(to be polite)but this movie might be a stepping stone towards slightly better movies. it was still pretty pathetic i'll admit but which Olsen movie is not.i'd give it a 2 or maybe a 3

Page 11 of 12: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]