New York Minute (2004) Poster

(I) (2004)

110 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Honestly, not THAT bad...
gmglader12 May 2004
Taken for what it is, a pre-teen flick featuring the wealthiest 17-years olds in type-cast roles ever, the movie is not terrible. It's no work of art, nor will it be nominated for any awards, but it is entertaining, which is all anyone can expect it to be. It definitely isn't being advertised as anything else.

More than anything, it's silly and allows a girl to giggle at the crazy antics of two sisters caught up in more than they can handle in New York City. A fun story of mayhem and mischief, it is far from the worst movie out this season (have you SEEN "Van Helsing"? I rest my case).

Maybe it's not worth spending $9 on a movie ticket, but it would be a fun rental. :-)
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Family Movie
donna-10918 June 2004
I thought this was a good movie. Its not fair to compare it to "Mean Girls." Although I like Lindsay Lohan, Mean Girls is intended for a different age group. My daughter is 10 and loved "Freaky Friday", but I feel "Mean Girls" has too much sexual content for that age. "New York Minute" is aimed for the "tween age" group. There aren't enough of these kinds of movies out. Its either cartoon-like movies, which this age thinks are not cool enough for them, or right to sex and violence. The New York Minute is an in-between kind of movie that we need to fill the gap for this age group. The people who are saying "this is so predictable" and "we have already seen that kinda movie before" are not the target audience. Yes, we older ones have seen this plot many times before, but our kids have not. Even if we let them see the movies that are similar, they were based in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, etc., so the trends and such will be harder for them to relate to. Mary Kate and Ashley have not surrendered to pressure to include sex and violence in their movies and I say good for them. This is a fun movie that the whole family can enjoy and get a lot of laughs. If there were more movies like this, maybe our young wouldn't be so prone to grow up so fast, and actually still enjoy being with their families.
34 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is what it is
phoenix9999 May 2004
If you like Mary-Kate and Ashley's previous movies than I'm sure you'll enjoy this one as well. I gave it a 10/10 because it is what it is and shouldn't be judged for anything more.

The Olsen's produce family friendly movies which are enjoyable for what they are. I'm 22 and love their movies because they are fun and innocent. They don't run around in the film in cleavage/midriff bearing shirts or ultra-mini skirts, acting like complete bimbos in order for guys to think they're sexy, like most teenage actors do. In most movies of theirs, one plays a very upstanding, conservative person who dreams of academic achievement and the other is more wild and likes to enjoy life to its fullest.

Why bother seeing it if you hate these kinds of movies? It makes no sense at all why most people who have voted or commented here at imdb even saw it in the first place (most I find didn't go at all).

Think about it... if all you read are sports magazines, why would you pick up a Harlequinn romance?
47 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why did I even bother?
TheOtherFool11 October 2004
My girlfriend has a thing going for the Olsen twins (no, not that kind of thing), and I decided to go along with it and watch New York minute with her. What I got? An easy to digest, easy to forget, silly and rather stupid little movie. Just what I expected.

The twins are divided into the extremely original barbie-wild girl types who decide in the end they truly love each other. You know, after 90 minutes (oh, if it only lasted 1 minute!) of arguing and stuff.

Everybody's happy in this one, so the girls meet some cute guys and even the bad guys have a certain charm (it's Andy everybody! Man, where have you been?). And when the girls get lost in Harlem they're just gonna get their hair cut. Uh-huh.

Only watchable because of Levy and our main man, Mr. Andy Richter. Otherwise: ouch. 3/10.
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I am stupider for having seen this movie
unimportant10 January 2005
Since I get unlimited rentals from Netflix, I often mix in some stupid movies, sometimes because I feel like watching a lighter movie that doesn't require any thinking, and sometimes just out of morbid curiosity. It was the latter that compelled me to rent "New York Minute" starring the Olsen twins.

"New York Minute" has gotten universally bad reviews from critics, but I considered that the mere fact that the movie starred Mary-Kate and Ashley invited ridicule from people who haven't even seen it. Despite a traumatic experience in my teenage years, when I was repeatedly forced to watch "It Takes Two" (an Olsen twins version of "The Parent Trap") by some kids I frequently babysat, I gave this one a chance. To my surprise, it was even stupider than it looked. Even stupider than the critics led me to believe. Even stupider than "It Takes Two." So stupid that I hardly know where to begin… The interchangeable Olsen twins play, you guessed it, twin sisters. Although they are identical in appearance, they have completely opposite personalities: Jane is the conservative, overachieving twin, while Roxy is a messy, truant punk. Eugene Levy plays a truancy officer who's obsessed with catching Roxy.

Jane and Roxy are both taking a trip into the city -- Jane to deliver a speech for a scholarship contest, and Roxy to go to a concert -- and a predictable case of mistaken identity leads to both twins getting kicked off the train. While they're at the train station, FBI agents descend on a guy trying to hand off what turns out to be a computer chip with pirated music (leading one to wonder why they didn't just e-mail the files or something), causing him to slip said chip into Roxy's purse, resulting in a Chinese-wannabe limo driver chasing the twins through NYC to recover the chip.

During the bizarre chase, Jane accepts a ride from the limo driver because she can't wait 3 hours for the next train, even though she has more than 6 hours to get to her speech. Then Roxy tosses the important chip onto a tray of food, which the dog proceeds to eat. At one point, the twins end up in a sewer, but the scary black people-turned-nice at House of Bling give them multiple free makeovers (despite Jane's tight schedule to get to her speech, she takes the time to try on half a dozen outfits and dance around in each one) and a cab to drive. Meanwhile, the truancy officer commandeers and subsequently wrecks a tourist couple's RV to chase down Roxy, but then gets promoted for busting the pirated music ring.

It all comes together to create possibly the stupidest movie ever made. What's really sad about "New York Minute" is that it was supposed to be a vehicle to show that the Olsen Twins are serious actresses, but it ultimately just shows how undeserving they are of their fame and fortune. (1/10)
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just as bad as I expected it to be
christian12325 November 2004
Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen play Jane and Roxy Ryan, twin sisters who couldn't be anything more unlike each other. Jane is a studious over-achiever while Roxy is a wild trouble making rocker. Despite their differences, the two of them spend a wacky day in New York City being chased by a truant officer {Eugene Levy}, a Chinese bootlegging ring, and a couple of cute guys.

I honestly don't understand why the Olsen twins decided to work on this film for their first big screen picture in nearly ten years. The film is very cheesy and very stupid just like their straight to video stuff. It's pretty much a thin story tied together with a bunch of scenes of the Olsen twins running around. Unfortunately, the Olsen twins are really not that interesting or talented. So watching them run around for 90 minutes is not a good thing. They're not funny and all their jokes fall flat. Their jokes don't work because the set up lines are very clunky and the jokes are just so awkward and lame. You would think that after 18 years of acting they would be able to handle it but I guess not.

The supporting cast aren't much better themselves. Eugene Levy was not funny and it was kind of sad watching him in this movie since you know he is way above this material. Andy Richter gives an embarrassing performance as Bennie. His character is such a stereotype and kind of offensive as well. The rest of the cast don't add anything as well and they just look embarrass to be there. Director Dennie Gordon is no stranger to success. She has some nice hits under her belt but this is one project she shouldn't have made. Her direction is kind of lazy and unfocused. She doesn't really tell a story and just moves the film along kind of messily. I actually used to like the Olsen twins when I was younger and I have just outgrown them. I can understand her fans liking this film but everyone else not familiar with their work should skip New York Minute. In the end, New York Minute is a waste of time and it's a film only the kids will like. Rating 2/10
35 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Olsen Twins' Doll Revolution: funny and hip
pantheon721 May 2004
New York Minute was funny from beginning to end. It's a much better movie than critics say. Mary-Kate Olsen has a special comic energy, and Ashley Olsen can be hilarious, both as a physical comedian and in the ways she delivers her lines.

The supporting cast were almost all terrific: Eugene Levy, Andy Richter, Darrell Hammond, Andrea Martin. And the obligatory hot guys, Jared Padalecki and Riley Smith, were good too. The movie is continuously amusing, and there are hundreds of funny moments and good lines.

So why did so many critics hate it? Because they just didn't get what it was trying to do. The first cut in the sound track is the Bangles' "Doll Revolution" (written by Elvis Costello): "Who dries your eyes when you cry real tears?/Who knows or cares what an imitation is?/Only you do.../Tear off your own head/It's a doll revolution.../They're taking over/And they're tearing it down/It's a doll revolution." This movie is the revolution of the Olsen dolls, but the critics' ideas were too fixed to see the irony that pervades it. I'm tempted to think that the critics were too ageist and/or sexist to give young girls credit for being this aware.

Mary-Kate and Ashley have said they like to make fun of themselves and what they've done. They've said they wanted the movie to have a Christopher Guest feel and were fighting the studio to get it. If this movie has a problem, it's that it tries to be both ironic and straight, and in the end may be too multi-leveled for either the hip or the little-girl audience to like. When the two audiences finally do get it, I expect the DVD to become a minor cult classic.

Some critics say how limp and unrealistic the plot is. That's true, but the movie wasn't intended to be realistic. It's a live-action cartoon: South Park with beautiful twins. The perfunctory way it deals with important events like Roxy (Mary-Kate) getting her demo tape to some A&R guys is not a mistake, it's a clue: the movie intentionally subverts its own surface meaning. Criticizing it for its plot is like criticizing Rocky Horror for not being Gone With the Wind.

There is also the question of whether the sexual innuendo in the movie is inappropriate. I say no, but I can understand why some people disagree. I was taken aback myself for the first few minutes of the film. Then I thought: they are almost 18, and have far wider experience than most people twice their age. Who am I to tell them they can't use their sexuality in these innocent ways? One example: a big snake slithers onto the floor of the shower when Jane (Ashley) is there. But all you see is her lower legs and her shoulders, and her wonderful cartoon scream is justification enough for the scene.

It's basically sick that reviewers think of older men when Mary-Kate and Ashley have said they were trying to appeal to guys around their own age. When other actresses have similar things in their films, people don't bat an eye. But people still see the Olsens as the little twins from Full House, and recoil in horror. In fact, New York Minute never shows as much flesh as a bathing suit would. The Catholic News Service and the Christian Critic website both gave the film good reviews.

Some critics condemn the film for racism. I myself am of Chinese ancestry, and I didn't see anything wrong there at all. I actually loved the idea of a white guy who was adopted into a Chinese family and who wants to be Chinese. There were stereotyped aspects to the portrayals, but that goes for everything in the film, not just different races. It's comedy.

Why do people think MK&A can't act? Well, it's true that their enunciation fails them from time to time. Some words just get lost. But that was true of Marlon Brando, so give them a break. And their style is not intended to be realistic: they portray characters, they don't inhabit them. Their strength is comic shtick. I thought they were realistic enough, and as comics they were great. The couple of serious moments in the movie came off extremely well, much better than I expected.

Will its target audiences like it? Maybe, maybe not. Only if they can ignore the elements that are not meant for them. It is difficult to make a movie that will be loved by everyone from six-year-old girls to guys of 25. And perhaps the deep prejudice against the Olsens in audiences older than 15 just can't be overcome, at least not in this first engagement of the doll revolution.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Counting the minutes!!!!
sajeeva sinniah18 October 2004
Well what can you expect from 2 teenagers who have obviously never participated in 'serious' acting and whose credits have been a series of obnoxious TV movies which barely received any good ratings?

Well you can expect the worst and hope for the best. This movie was definitely NOT GOOD - but in comparison to all the Olsen twin's movie's, this stands out. The same typical Olsen sequences of twins with different personalities is well captured even in this movie- and unfortunately i believe that this is the limit. Even before watching this movie,the fact that earning the title of the lowest box office grossing for a film opening in over 3000 theaters, basically leashes the impending movie experience. So well that just reveals that the Olsen twins should just be participators of the modeling industry - as for their contribution to the film industry- well they are cute and they not impressive at all, so let them not contribute...please.

I believe if they should continue acting - get rid of the twin act and surprise people with something new. As for 'New york minute' you can watch it if you just wanna see the twins shake their behinds - but besides - SERIOUSLY...DON'T BOTHER!!!!
26 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Incredibly stupid
Joseph Pintar25 September 2004
If you are not a girl under the age of ten, New York Minute will be a head ache inducing waste of 90 minutes of your time. The interchangeable Olsen twins (who cares which is which) star in this rip off of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Ferris Bueller was likable but these two girls have no personality. Their series of misadventures are not funny. Eugene Levy has a nothing role as a truent officer obsessed with catching the two girls. This character is incredibly stupid, not funny, and very obnoxious. Then there are non acting guys who fall in love with them. Don't get me started on Andy Richter's embarrassing role. Definitely one of the year's worst movies. 3/10
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie was really great...
Steve Feinstein20 March 2005
The first time they made it when they called it Ferris Bueller's Day Off http://www.imdb.com/Title?0091042

Clueless Parents = Dr. Drew

Eugene Levy = Me. Rooney

The Concert = The Parade

Both movies have school cutting, and it goes on and on.

The big difference is that in Ferris Bueller, John Hughes managed to capture the essence of teenage angst and create a film that has endured for almost two decades.

New York Minute will be long forgotten in half as much time as it's name.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this