IMDb > Noise (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Noise More at IMDbPro »

thought provoking

Author: Michael from Winston-Salem, NC
24 April 2004

I saw this film last night as part of the River Run film festival in Winston-Salem, NC and found it to be quite entertaining. The trailer seemed interesting so I figured I'd give it a shot. While watching, you can clearly see the mental breakdown of the main character Joyce and I found it easy to identify with some of her "issues." It has some explicit language and some brief nudity but that shouldn't really be a big problem. A day later, I'm still putting pieces of the movie together in my head. The ending also grabs you at a point where you feel the most vulnerable, much as Joyce is in the movie. All in all, a very good independent film. I recommend it if you have the opportunity to see it.

Noise Whimpers Out

Author: blackwalnut
11 May 2005

For originality this film rates high. Lance Doty has crafted a screenplay with loads of potential, and instant appeal to anyone who has had their sleep ruined by rotten neighbors. This premise is taken to psychotic lengths, and could have been much, much better. Unfortunately, director Tony Spiridakis seems to have slept through the whole thing. The pacing and camera-work are flat and colorless. He seems to have cast his actors and then abandoned them to their own devices. The only one up to the task was Ally Sheedy, and if not for her, this film would have fallen flat on it's face. Trish Goff, a model in her first film, is supposed to show us the mental disintegration of a young woman -- by degrees -- her fragile mind under assault from her own failures and alcoholism, with her slow collapse considerably hastened by the psychic torture provided by her upstairs neighbor. But Ms. Goff delivers a performance that would barely get her cast in a high school play. She does not inhabit her character; she has no sense of her psychology, no sense of bringing her incrementally to her breakdown. Ms. Goff brings very little to her role at all except what is already built into the script. As she is the pivotal character, and appears in every scene, the whole business bogs down in her flailing search for an appropriate emotion. If a real actress had been cast in this part, the film might have lived up to its promise. As it is, it will quickly be forgotten.

Serviceable Effort That Gets NYC Psychic Tolls Half-Right

Author: Jonathan Funke from NYC
27 October 2005

I watched this at home under optimal conditions: with the dimly employed music-industry exec next door blaring his stuff full blast at midnight in my rent-stabilized East Harlem building. (He's a nice guy and doesn't mind me banging away on my piano, so we're cool.) So maybe I'm unduly sympathetic to this piece, which admittedly suffers from insubstantial and generally unsympathetic characters, an insufficiently established final twist, and a host of rude and spoiler-prone commenters here on IMDb.

Still, "Noise" is refreshing in elements. Key decisive moments are amply teased ahead, producing more tension than you see in a lot of indy "psycological thrillers." The accrual of stresses on a frustrated NYC studio-dweller ring rough and rudimentary, but true. The protagonist's choices are as much to blame for her decline as her antagonist's boorish provocations, and the subway shots and outdoor scenes lack the stylized glamour (and/or overly glorified dinginess) that mark them as false in mainstream productions. This flick is nothing if not quotidian in its trappings.

There are also a handful of lines that really could have dangled like cigarettes from the mouths of European-inflected windbags in the publishing industry 'round these parts. But couldn't they have come up with something better than "Gotham" as a standin for New York Magazine? (If that's a spoiler for you, you probably need a Metrocard more than you need "Noise" on your Netflix list.)

There is a smattering of homage to classic apartment thrillers like Single White Female and Rosemary's Baby, but they only serve to highlight Noise's thin budget, cinematography and script. A half-dozen lines, including the detective's final valediction, suggest the playwright longs for something better, and knows it ain't quite happening here. Give it a shot if, like the protagonist, you're stuck at home on a rainy Tuesday with a bottle of hooch and nothing else worth trying on Video On Demand.

Thought Provoking

Author: (cornelius.christian@gmail.com) from London, England
29 March 2005

You'll love this film if you are looking for something different. This film defies the predictable and carries the viewer into a plot free to surprise us giving us a satisfying cerebral experience. Noise has the complexity, the nuance, the depth, of some of the best films I've seen. I highly recommend it to those looking for a change of pace from your typical Hollywood film. Trish Goff's performance was remarkable considering this was her first effort and she is literally in every scene. Ally Sheedy was fantastic as the antagonist.

The script introduces us to idiosyncratic characters, dialogue with an ear for the vulgar and the literate. The pace of the editing were dead-on. The music and sound design were perfect.

Why didn't I know about this movie when it opened???

Author: castrobear from San Francisco
25 December 2006

Late Christmas eve (2006), flipping through the cable I stumbled upon this creepy film that totally captivated me. How is it that crappy so-called psychological thrillers like PACIFIC HEIGHTS that aren't half as intriguing as NOISE get proper film releases? OK, the film isn't great but it was a good thriller about having the neighbor from hell living in the above apartment. Ally Sheedy was perfect as the crazy neighbor. Trish Goth displays the emotionally abused downstairs tenant. The believability factor is a bit of a stretch but it works. The film looks like it was made on a shoestring budget but that also works in favor of the film. It's gritty, just like the town where the story takes place (NYC)...you'll think twice before ever moving into a cozy little apartment!

This isn't Polanski or DePalma but it sure made an impact on me. Catch it on cable or go out and rent it...you won't be disappointed!

Woman on the Verge....

Author: bob_meg from United States
30 September 2015

"You give off this vibe that you're on the edge, that you're not really here," Hank (Giancarlo Esposito) says to Joyce (Trish Goff) in "Noise", Tony Spiradakis' superb (and apparently last) film from 2004 which I only discovered recently on Amazon Video as a cheap non-HD rental. I promptly ordered the DVD after I'd seen about fifteen minutes, I was so smitten.

I love character pieces, especially when the character is enigmatic and troubled, which Joyce definitely is, to put it lightly. You name the dysfunction, Joyce pretty much has it, mostly from a lifetime of being pushed around and abused by everyone from her ex (David Thornton) to complete strangers. Following the break from Thornton, she seems ready to flip a switch and turn a corner, but she keeps falling into the same traps.

Namely, she moves into an apartment in a large old building in New York directly under Charlotte (Ally Sheedy, who is so right for this part it's sometimes painful to watch). Charlotte blasts music, stomps around at all hours of the night, has the Loudest Sex Imaginable and seems overall immune to any defense Joyce can peacefully offer. Now this might take its toll on a normal person, but for a woman as close to the edge of the cliff as Joyce is... well... it makes for a very suspenseful, taut, engaging storyline that really is only the tip of the film's iceberg.

Trish Goff plays Joyce with a boiling repression that's wonderful to behold. Her performance reminded me a lot of Sandy McCloud's other NYC woman on the edge of sanity in Lizzie Borden's "Variety" and that's a high compliment, though "Noise" is a much better, more realized film because it offers us a compelling plot on the surface and then gives us so much emotional angst and complexity as icing on the cake.

I think people have liked this movie for the wrong reasons, kind of how they cheered Travis Bickle on in "Taxi Driver". If you watch closely you'll notice at the end of the film how much Joyce has become like her nemesis... she's "totally put together" now as well. Or not.

Lots of good performances here, especially Esposito and also check out John Slattery in the type of part he used to get a lot in New York pre-Mad Men. And Sheedy has never been more convincingly bat-sh*t crazy. But Trish Goff is the real find here --- she makes Joyce so empathic it's hard to not realize she's close to the nut-house herself.

If you're looking for something similar, check out "The Upstairs Neighbor" (if you can find it).

Like stepping into a lukewarm bath

Author: MBunge from Waterloo, Iowa
21 June 2011

About 20 minutes in, I knew that this was going to be one of those wet noodle movies that's neither good enough nor bad enough to amount to anything. There's too many characters, too little plot and a lead actress who looks like she should be playing the smart alec waitress in somebody else's romantic comedy. It's not a thriller, it's not a relationship drama, it's not a look into the heart of urban dysfunction or an examination of personal degeneration. Noise is just a whole lotta nothing.

Joyce Chandler (Trish Goff) is an aloof and colorless young woman who just got divorced from her middle aged husband Elliot (David Thornton). She's just moved into the second floor of a somewhat run down three story building, sandwiched between the ground floor furniture store run by a charming dude named Hank (Giancarlo Esposito) and an upstairs neighbor named Charlotte Bancroft (Ally Sheedy) who torments Joyce with loud noises in the middle of the night. In between Joyce working as a copy editor and attending a divorced women's group that turns into something out of China's Cultural Revolution, we learn why her marriage with Elliot ended and watch her upstairs neighbor turn into a slut. Then the film just sort of ends and tries to act like it's all been about this war of manners gone out of control between Joyce and Charlotte, even though they hardly spoke to each other through the whole thing.

Noise is an adaptation of a novel, which is usually problematic. Any good book, especially if it's more literary than genre work, is going to contain far more than can fit into a movie. These filmmakers appear to have made the classic mistake of trying to get a little bit of everything from the novel onto the screen, with the expected result that none of it amounts to anything. Instead of giving us a single story, Noise tosses a bunch of individual chapters at the viewer and leaves you with the sense that you're missing something. I mean, this tale ends with a police investigation and introduces a detective character played by Adam Ferrara about halfway through. But at the end, instead of using that guy to wrap things up, a different and never before seen or referenced detective character played by John Slattery is brought on stage and he's the one who brings down the curtain. Not only does that make no dramatic sense, but the fact Noise finishes up with a dodge that tosses realism and logic out the window is only underscored by having somebody the audience has never seen or heard before bring it about.

The bits and pieces here are okay. The direction is fine, the dialog is all right but unexceptional, the pacing is adequate and the acting is acceptable. Trish Goff is nearly blown off the screen by Ally Sheedy, but that's somewhat on purpose because Charlotte is an obviously unstable person while Joyce is unlikable and unexpressive. Making your main character unlikable and unexpressive is a pretty fatal combination, however.

Noise isn't aggravating or irritating. It's also isn't interesting or provocative. Neither dark nor light, hot nor cold, this production is wan and tepid. I've seen some punishingly hideous films that were an affront to the Human spirit, but I'd rather watch one of them again than this cinematic non-entity.

Get out the sledgehammer

Author: dak123-1 from United States
17 April 2006

...and pulverize this pathetic movie. At least your frustration and anger for having your pocket picked might be relieved.

Terrible acting from the lead, Goff, combined with a plodding unbelievable story and stilted dialog make this almost unbearable.

Sheedy is the only one to turn in a good performance but unfortunately her character is not believable.

Even movies I don't like get credit for the efforts of those involved. Just because I don't like it, that doesn't make it a bad movie. But the effort behind this must have been minimal.

As others have said; Polaski it ain't.

Why watch a movie about people this annoying and inept?

Author: sacusanov from United States
21 November 2005

I have a hard time with movies about annoying people, and a hard time with movies about inept people, but put together -- and this movie does that in spades -- it's just painful to watch. Any person with any idea of how to deal with the world will want to scream. On top of that is the whole the decent into madness thing, which only works in the hands of geniuses and campy hacks. Imagine Planes, Trains and Automobiles crossed with Repulsion, all done on such a limited budget that it seems like every take must have been the last one of a grueling 20 hour day in which the actors weren't able to consume anything more than coffee and jujubes. There, now you don't have to see it.

Slow and wordy.

Author: Ky-D from Hawaii, USA
8 August 2005

Very early on the film takes on the feel of a meanderingly paced, talky version of 'Pacific Heights", which it self was a meanderingly paced, talky film. Some good performances come through, but not enough to save the film.

A recently divorced woman moves into a new apartment and tries to move on with her life. She soon discovers that her upstairs neighbor likes to crank up the noise at all hours of the night and keep her awake. When civility fails to resolve the problem and outside issues further complicate matters, the young lady must take more drastic steps.

From the start the film is determined to take it's time. Every scene unrolls at a languid pace, almost like it's challenging the audience to stay awake. Long, often pointlessly so, dialogue exchanges continue for what seems like an eternity only to end just in time for yet another needlessly lengthy dialogue exchange.

It would be fair to say that this over-abundance of exposition serves to build tension, except that there is little of no pay off to all the waiting. One could also say that it expounds on the character personalities were it not for that fact that in the end every one is motivated by either petty or unexplained reasons.

The filming matches the script to a 'T'. Aside for the occasional sporadic (actually kind of jarring) jump cuts, the film follows the events as they are, never appearing to be any more interested in what's happening that it needs to be.

The actors are what they are, an art house crowd for the most part. The lead actress is attractive (if REALLY skinny) and does a decent job with a character we have seen many times before. Ally Sheedy tries for neurotic, but comes off annoying.

Art house crowds might dig it's detached vibe, but most audiences will have a hard time ridding it to conclusion.