IMDb > John Mayer: Any Given Thursday (2003) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

John Mayer: Any Given Thursday (V) More at IMDbPro »

More than pop

Author: I_Heart_Fuckabees from Canada
5 May 2005

This DVD really shows that John Mayer is more than just "Your Body is a Wonderland" or "Daughters". Mayer is a musician who is extremely talented and that is why he is going to last for a very long time. You guys have to check out the guitar work in "Covered in Rain", "Neon", "City Love" or "Man on the Side"...just to name a few. John Mayer actually inspired me to play guitar. "Comfortable" is one of the first songs I ever learned how to play on guitar. I hope he comes out with a second DVD soon with some of his new stuff. This DVD really clears up the misconception that John Mayer is pop star. Rather, he is a musician who makes pop music musical. So buy this DVD whether you are a musician, Mayer fan or just anyone who likes music

A Must Own

Author: scenicsunrise35
7 July 2003

Writing his own songs, playing guitar, and conversing with his audience through his music, John Mayer has proved that he is capable of much more than 'Your Body is a Wonderland'. Any critic worthy of hearing should see 'Any Given Thursday' before they fully make their minds up about John.

AGT is a taped performance of one of John's concerts. It's almost better than being front center at a concert (better only because you can pause and get up for snacks without missing a thing). He plays nearly all of his songs live (and wonderfully) as well as some new ones.

AGT is one of my most prized DVDs and a must-see for any music fan.

Good but...

Author: (yisraelharris@yahoo.com) from Israel
22 July 2006

There's definitely something very catchy about this film. John is multi-talented: great songwriter, great musician, humorist, philosopher. Extremely entertaining.

However, there's a huge minus that ruins this for me: his voice. No, he's not off-key, but his voice is so scratchy, that it's impossible for me to enjoy it. He sounds like he has laryngitis. He can barely sing with his voice in this condition. I would not pay to hear someone perform with their voice in this condition, and I think it's a big chutzpah for him to charge people admission.

Understand: I enjoy singers like Robert Plant, Jon Anderson, Steve Tyler. Their voices may be scratchy -- but they still have some body. John's thin voice is painful for me to listen to.