IMDb > "New Tricks" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"New Tricks"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"New Tricks" More at IMDbPro »

The cast make the show

Author: walsh-22 from United Kingdom
11 June 2007

To be truthful, I didn't watch this till my Dad got me interested in it and I have been hooked ever since.

The plot is about three retired detectives who are recruited to help solve cold crimes. They also have to get used to the environment that has changed since they were in the force. The boss is Sandra Pullman (Amanda Redman) who is feisty, she can hold her own and gives a good punch. Jack Halford (James Bolam) was Sandra's boss before he retired. He has lost his wife and has a memorial for her out in his garden and talks regularly to her as if she can talk back. Brian Lane (Alun Armstrong is very clever, he can get obsessed over little things and has to take medication for his mental health. Gerry Standing (Dennis Waterman) is a ladies man who has three ex-wives, daughters and a grand child.

Amanda, James, Alun and Dennis are the crop of British talent and they make the show the success it is. They have great chemistry together and they have me in floods of laughter at times. The scripts are just brilliant, the way the writing can effortlessly move between laughter and drama is what also makes the show what it is.

I hope they continue to make this show because this is another show on the BBC that keeps me entertained for an hour. Keep up the good work.

Marvellous!

Author: dickjan-braggaar from Netherlands
25 September 2010

It's such a shame I live in Holland. I bought the first, Dutch subtitled, series here, but where's the rest? When they arrive here, I'm sure to buy them all. Yes, sometimes I see the series on the BBC, but without subtitles you miss the subtleties.

So now to the first series. I still have a little inside laugh when I think about the talks with the soliciting team members in the pilot-episode. I have a little inside weep when I see the old copper talking to his deceased wife. And what a wonderful woman is the boss! If all women were like she is, there would be no glass ceiling (if you know what I mean, or is it a Dutch expression).

They can act, boy, can they all act. Why young actors, when this lot is still going strong? I'm not yet their ages, but it is quite reassuring that there is so much life in the old guys! Conclusion: I will keep looking for the series here in Holland, subtitled and all, and I very much want to thank the BBC for bringing so much quality and joy in the best series I've ever seen. In a word, its most 'uplifting'. A real medicine.

This is a very well done show, please make more !

Author: calgarywino from Canada
10 March 2011

I have enjoyed this show for years now; the actors are all excellent veterans of their craft and it's great to see people of a certain age being used well instead of retired or cast as fogeys.

Plots deal with things that are often timely and of interest and push all the right buttons. The writing is fun and seems natural and is not aimed at juveniles like US based writing seems to be. Why can't they make such good programs out of the US ? Even the shows that they 'steal' like Cracker are not done well; the pacing is wrong and they seem dumbed down and acted poorly.

UK and Canadian actors look more natural and 'of the real World' than the too pretty US ones, and the acting is more natural and unforced. They have facial expressions accompanying the reading of the lines too, what a concept ! Thank goodness for some of the good programming out of the UK and Canada, I wish there was a way to keep them going by supporting the good ones. We have a long history here in Canada of the good ones living short lives. Billy Joel wrote "Only the good die young. That's what I said, only the good die young." Prove him wrong, Long live shows like New Tricks!

Just a note to say that after the departure of James Bolam as Jack Halford, I was worried about the future and that the 'chemistry' would be upset but I need not have worried. Denis Lawson seems to have settled in and the expert and professional cast has not seemed to missed a step. We on the 'other side of the pond' will just have to see what happens after learning that others are leaving the fold as well. I hope the writers can pull a few more rabbits out of their hats as there is not much else worth watching these days.

A new type of police show call New Tricks

Author: barebear2 from United States
30 July 2007

For a change we have here a police show with: Wit,A good story and actors that make you think they ARE retired police officers.not just playing the part. It is a refreshing change to the US police shows., that are at present being shown in the UK.While one will, I think always remember Morse and compare any police show with the great Inspector Morse. I personally think that "New Tricks" is not only more entertaining but it leaves you with a feeling sad that it is over. I find it hard to wait till the next series is on DVD for me to watch, since I live in Florida. British police shows are of special interest to me as I was before coming to Florida some 50 years ago a police officer with the Metropolitian Police in London.

Hugely Enjoyable Detective Series ***** out of ***** (a rare 5-star review)

Author: Celticnationalist from Wales
23 July 2009

BBC TV Series which follows the work of (UCOS) Or the 'Unsolved Crime and Open Case Squad' It's led by Feisty Det.Super. Sandra Pullman (Amanda Redman) and a trio of Eccentric Retired Police Officers, Jack Halford (James Bolam) Gerry Standing (Dennis Waterman) & Brian Lane (Alun Armstrong). All three have personal problems, Jack's wife was Murdered by a Criminal out to get him, Gerry has a complicated Family life and Brian is a Alcoholic.

It's just started it's 5th Series in the UK...and is a hugely successful and Enjoyable Series...It's Funny,Sad & Thrilling in Equal measure and just goes to show you don't need Whizzbang CSI type Investigations to Enjoy a very well Written and Acted Series.

***** out of *****

New Tricks and Old Faces.

Author: from Canada
21 January 2007

New Tricks is not the best of the British crime genre. In fact, it is closer to Fawlty Towers than to Prime Suspect. However, I appreciate it for its light touch and its ability to use British women actors "of a certain age". British TV and movies make good use of their talent pool of women over 40. If Hollywood needs a mature woman actor, they usually take a gorgeous twenty-something and make her spend two hours in the make-up trailer prior to shooting. Think Charlize Theron in "Monster". In "New Tricks" we have seen some splendid faces from the past, most of whom have been making a steady living in British theater and TV since their glory days on the screen. Guest actors have included Honor Blackman, Jane Asher, Harriet Walter and Rita Tushingham. Long may they grace our TV screens.

As in Can't Teach old dogs............

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
30 April 2011

The police series New Tricks which has been on for almost a decade in Great Britain is finally making it across the pond via our Public Broadcasting System and it's a nice import. The British have updated our old TV western classic The Over The Hill Gang to modern times.

Amanda Redman is a modern police inspector who has mastered all the latest in crime fighting techniques, but can't master the prejudices still there about women in positions of authority. They're promoting here, but she's in charge of the Cold Case Squad in London and not getting any real help, nor is she really expected to solve these long cold homicides.

What to do, but recruit her own help in the persons of three retired detectives Alun Armstrong, James Bolam, and Dennis Waterman who are wasting away in retirement. They may not be up to date and you can't teach the old dogs New Tricks at times, but they're still pretty good at what they do.

What's nice about all these people is that they're quite three dimensional and even ordinary somewhat. But they have a work ethic and they get the job done.

Hopefully this show will run in the United Kingdom for several more years and we'll have lots of episodes to look forward to.

Eccentric characters and unpredictable plots make it a series worth watching...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
5 April 2009

AMANDA REDMAN is the tough police boss of a squad of discontented officers she has to keep in line in order to solve unsolved murder cases. I've only watched one from this series but intend to watch more because it moves swiftly, has interesting and rather eccentric characters, and the plot took some unpredictable turns before the solution came.

The British do this sort of thing well. Instead of Inspector Morse, we have Redman's female boss dealing with detectives who'd rather not handle some of the cases they're assigned to.

Handsome production values help, as does the intelligent writing. Worth watching if you like your detective stories told in British style.

What fun!

Author: kikkapi20 from usa
31 July 2014

Another of my favorite shows and one I try not to miss. This is one of the very few programs that can keep me at home. I wouldn't miss it for any reason.I just savor every moment of this wonderful series about a group of "old" British detectives who constantly runs into trouble with fine humor and everlastingly rocks "the establishment" within the police force. Quirky, eccentric and not adverse to bursting the bubbles of his snobby and stiff bosses, they're really copper's copper (without the helmet) and always leads us through such an entertaining series of plot twists and turns, it's really quite irresistible. This is fine entertainment by some of the finest British actors alive. It's great fun!

Funny and with Well Built Plots

Author: DegustateurDeChocolat from Italy
27 January 2014

I must say that when I first approached this TV series I was kind of skeptic. I thought that it would be based on the predictable jokes on retired cops and on aged people in general. I was quite surprised to see instead that the jokes are funny and work well thanks to the 4 main characters, each one with a defined personality. Besides this the plots are well made and the murderer is never obvious. Plus,the stories are credible and are not exaggeratedly far from reality. An interesting feature of the "New Tricks" is that each character has some dramatic event or problem left behind that arises now and then in the story, which contributes to give more definition to the personality and it also represents a constant present during the entire series. To wrap it up I would say unexpectedly original.