IMDb > Tell No One (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ne le dis à personne

Tell No One More at IMDbPro »Ne le dis à personne (original title)

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I'm passionate about this movie, it's extraordinary.

Author: Jenna West
28 June 2007

This movie is extremely engaging, well-acted, detailed, moving, thrilling, exciting and satisfying to watch. The stakes get higher and higher as the plot unfolds. What is so unexpected is the many facets the film has, it's not told on one-level there is a mixture of comedy and tragedy that is totally charming and believable. There is a great sense of involvement that gets the viewer attached to the characters and the unique situation that presents itself. It's a total roller- coaster of a movie that has you on the edge of your seat. An extraordinary story that is interestingly told. I've never felt the desire to write a comment on a movie before so the fact that I've taken the time to do it says a lot about the power of it's content. I really recommend this film, it takes you on a journey that divulges secrets beautifully as the story unravels. I left the film crying with a mixture of joy and sadness.

Canet at Coben's height !

Author: Raphaël Iberg from Lutry, Switzerland
18 November 2006

I read the masterly novel "Tell no one" by Harlan Coben and the movie by Guillaume Canet didn't disappoint me. And I want to precise that I'm very critical with novel's adaptations when I've read the book.

At first, I was surprised that a novel as great as this one become a French movie and not a Hollywood production. But I was "disappointed in good" (déçu en bien), as we say in Switzerland.

Canet respected very well Coben's work and the cast is absolutely excellent ! François Cluzet (with a resemblance with Dustin Hoffman) is a perfect Dr Beck. Kristin Scott-Thomas, André Dussolier (can be a naughty character too), Jean Rochefort and the others are great as well.

Finally a really great movie - the best French movie I've seen, I think - as thrilling as the book ! "Ne le dis à personne" equals "Tell no one".

Notice that the man who follows Beck in the station is Harlan Coben himself.

Tell everyone about Tell No One.

Author: come2whereimfrom from United Kingdom
28 June 2007

Based on the best selling novel by Harlan Coben this is how a thriller should be made. If you thought Jack Bauer had bad days wait till you meet Dr. Alex Beck (played superbly by Francois Cluzet) the film starts with him along with his wife spending sometime by a lake when she and then he are attacked, she is murdered and he is put into a coma. Skip eight years into the future and although never forgetting his wife's memory he has to a certain extent rebuilt his life. Then things start to turn, when two bodies are discovered buried near the lake and certain evidence suggest a link to Alex and the unsolved case of his murdered wife, suddenly it looks like he is in the frame, again. Then Alex begins to receive e-mails from an anonymous source at first but which seem to be coming from his wife, could she still be alive? And if so what the hells been going on? At 2hrs 11mins this isn't by any means a short film but it is handled so well by director Guillaume Canet that not once did I even notice the time, from the moment the story hooks you it never lets go right up to the end. As Alex starts to dig deeper and deeper to try and uncover the truth you are with him all the way discovering things as he does and when the whole thing finally unfolds it really is quite breathtaking. This film for me had everything, a brilliant script, a seasoned cast, twists and turns, Jeff Buckley's 'lilac wine' used to amazing effect (you will know what I mean when you see it) stunning cinematography, complex subplots that never once get too confusing, it truly is one of the most enjoyable and intelligent films I've seen for a long time.

Excellent film, beautifully acted, and wonderfully transposed to France

Author: SimonSays2 from New York, United States
4 March 2007

The film, although adapted from an American novel, wonderfully brings to life Paris and the countryside surrounding it. Many characters and events that had seemed typically or even uniquely American were transposed to France so well that they seem in the film typically Gallic.

The acting is terrific -- even the Briard is wonderful.

Tautly suspenseful,a tale of corruption and evil, it is also and above all a story of love: true love between lovers, familial love between parents and children, and the sustaining love of companions and friends. Excellent!

Francois Cluzet won a deserved Cesar for his role as did the director.

edge of your seat

Author: (gsygsy) from london uk
15 June 2007

Excellent film. I'd never heard of the book it's based on. The movie does have the kind of complex characters that are more associated with novels than with cinema.

It's Hitchcockian to some extent - its premise is a classic "wrong-man" scenario, with suspense, humour and chase sequences. But the de rigeur romantic element here is, for the most part, tinged with a strange melancholy , and it's this that gives the film such an unusual atmosphere.

Leading man François Cluzet is probably weary of being compared to Dustin Hoffman, but the fact is there is more than a passing resemblance. Nevertheless, Cluzet is very much his own man, and is as good, if not better, than the Hoffman of, say, 'Marathon Man', which inevitably comes to mind as one watches Cluzet taking to his heels in the breathless, breathtaking chase sequence.

Although Cluzet carries the movie, the rest of the cast, which contains a number of very distinguished French actors, is first-rate.

The plot is full of twists and turns, and the story-telling full of time-jumps, so you really need to concentrate. I'll need to get the DVD to check I understood it right.

All in all, it's an excellent edge-of-your-seat thriller: a splendid, somewhat scary, night out at the movies.

Canet gets his degree !

Author: Lou123
2 November 2006

A very good second film for this young director, and in a genre which is not always a "day at the beach" for french directors... I'm not talking about directors like Melville or others of that generation, but for some of Canet's generation which prefer too easily to use sophisticated special effects and endless fights to fill up their scenes. Canet always stays close, very close to his characters and their feelings, and his storyline/plot and gives the audience an excellent humanistic suspense…

The film exists by itself, and doesn't need to be compared to the novel (that I read and liked), because it's transposed in another culture, with different rhythms, variations in the original characters

**** SPOILERS*****

(thanks Mr. Canet for making the psychopath "fingers" killer … a woman ! . Good idea !. And François Berleand, as a police inspector who has a little obsessive-compulsive disorder, and giving yourself the most disgusting part). Excellent choices that add subtle details to the french version.

Two hours of good cinema, good directing of actors, and needless to say that François Cluzet is a great great actor (Gee, brought me to tears at the end, very moving last scene BTW).

An excellent adaptation, well directed, not pretentious ! Canet gets his degree. Congratulations !

A solid, entertaining and mostly well-crafted thriller

Author: TrevorAclea from London, England
21 June 2007

Tell No-One turns out to be a rather good French thriller and a distinct improvement on actor-director Guillaume Canet's first directorial effort Mon Idole. The early overhead shots of a couple driving through the countryside summon up echoes of Red Lights, Harry, He's Here to Help/With a Friend Like Harry and The Vanishing in particular (though the film doesn't really match up to them, at least his influences are impeccable) as it sets up the back-story that sees Francois Cluzet's wife murdered. Fast forward eight years and the good doctor is still suspected by the police, especially when two bodies are unearthed near the murder scene that threaten his alibi. And then there's an email he receives with what looks like live footage of his very much alive wife...

There's a good supporting cast - a mostly excellent Andre Dussolier as the antagonistic father-in-law, Jean Rochefort showing once again that he's a much better actor when he doesn't dye his hair to look younger, Nathalie Baye as a razor-sharp lawyer, 36 Quai des Orfevres director Olivier Marchal as a vicious hood and even a less-autopilot-than-usual Kristin Scott-Thomas (maybe she should just stick to French-language parts?) - and it's a surprise to see Luc Besson's Europa films making something so bourgeois that doesn't involve free-running or martial arts for a change, although there is one excellent chase sequence and a vicious female thug to keep his core constituency happy.

If it has a problem - apart from one credulity-straining moment near the end regarding motivation that isn't so much a plot-hole as the Channel Tunnel - it's that at the end of the day, it's JUST a thriller. There aren't enough lingering questions throughout the movie or any real attempt to create doubt as to whether the hero may really have murdered his wife as the police and media still suspect. The twists are satisfying enough but no great revelations, and it's a disappointment that it finds itself forced into an Irving-the-Explainer ending where the plot is explained at gunpoint. Yet despite the lack of depth, it's a satisfyingly well-executed thriller, and if that's enough for you, you could do a lot worse with two hours of your time. Oh yes, and the eagle-eyed can spot one of French producer Christophe Rossingnon's sporadic blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameos as a cop.

Awesome French Thriller

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 October 2007

The pediatrician Alexandre Beck (François Cluzet) misses his beloved wife Margot Beck (Marie-Josée Croze), who was brutally murdered eight years ago when he was the prime suspect. When two bodies are found near where the corpse of Margot was dumped, the police reopen the case and Alex becomes suspect again. The mystery increases when Alex receives an e-mail showing Margot older and alive.

I am a big fan of French cinema, but "Ne le Dis à Personne" is an awesome thriller and superseded my expectations. The story and the characters are well-developed and there are simply no flaws in the complex plot, with all the situations being perfectly explained. The cast is fantastic, giving credibility to their characters. Only now I have seen the number of awards and nominations of this great film. Congratulations, the people that made this film really deserve them. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Não Conte a Ninguém" ("Do not Tell Anybody")

Tell No One/Ne le dis à personne (2006) review ****

Author: coolbabeholls from London, england
19 June 2007

Guillaume Canet's thriller opens on one of those naturalistic dinner party scenes: all glasses clinking and laughter and dialogue just a pitch below hearing. Yet this is a misleading beginning for a film that progresses into a thoroughly surprising and superior tale of a husband's desperate search for his seemingly dead wife.

Canet executes the set-up for his tale beautifully, placing his couple stark naked, lakeside, and under the moonlight to emphasize the sheer indulgence of their love. Then with little dialogue he changes the tone from romanticism, to blinding horror as Alexandre (Francois Cluzet) hears a scream and tries in vain to save his wife Margot (Josee Croze) but is beaten over the head by her attacker.

The casting of this couple was crucial as for all its twists and turns what follows is essentially their love story; and neither Cluzet nor Croze disappoint-the latter possessing a perfect vulnerable quality (akin to Naomi Watts in 'King Kong'). However, it is to Cluzet that we owe such an absorbing tale of grief and that false friend: memory.

As we flash forward eight years he conveys sometimes only through his eyes the ever-present grief ready to resurface as soon as his wife's name is mentioned. And, this being a thriller her name is mentioned pretty quickly in the form of an email, plunging the audience into a taut whodunit/what really happened/who's hiding something tale, the answer being of course everyone. And what a terrific supporting cast we are treated with: Margot's father (Andre Dussollier) effortlessly conveys equal parts frustration and resolute duty; while one cut to Jean Rochefort's brooding and wrinkled face alerts the audience to all the pain of his past. Kristin Scott Thomas is possibly even more captivating in French and her poise and cheekbones seem to be a natural marriage with the language and Parisian backdrop. . Canet uses this midsummer Paris to his full advantage to turn up the heat on his fevered search, notably in a touching scene where Alex is racing through the sweltering streets with a giant dog.

"An innocent man" declares Alex's lawyer "does not run". (What-has she not seen 'The Fugitive'?) In any case thank goodness in this circumstance he does as these provide the most compelling scenes in which even Alex crossing a motorway becomes a thing of beauty.

What keeps us gripped though, is that we actually care about these characters and their fate-about what really happened that night (which is possibly why I put up with a slightly indulgent confession scene), and despite the fact that this thriller utterly surpassed most of the usual Hollywood offerings; I found myself craving what Tinsel Town does best: a happy ending.

**** 4/5

frantic, intelligent, and exciting: what more do you want?

Author: Mike Keating (yamawhore@gmail.com) from London, England
28 February 2008

Tell No-one is the debut feature from Guillaume Canet, a guy arguably best known outside of France for being that bloke in The Beach who shouts "Francoise!" a lot. While he may not have seemed to be up to much then, judging from this stunning adaptation of Harlan Coben's novel of the same name, he certainly is now.

Tell No-one is the story of Dr. Alexander Beck, a man who gets an email from his wife. Boring, you say? Beck's wife was killed eight years ago in an attack that left him (in a sense) lucky to be alive. The email instructs him to "tell no-one" and with nobody to turn to, Beck throws himself into a desperate search for the woman he loved and lost.

What follows is arguably a typical array of thriller conventions: the secrets, the lies, and the inevitable betrayals, but what sets this movie apart is its pacing. Canet sheds some of Coben's superfluous subplots which ramps the tempo up so effectively that you soon forget that it's all in French. The move from the States to France also works in its favour, especially for foreign markets (as in the UK & US), as it makes the movie feel edgier and more unfamiliar than a standard American cop-chase movie. The combination of these factors give Tell No-one a freshness and intelligence that a lot of modern thrillers are lacking.

The quality of the acting (especially from Cluzet) and the dialogue, no doubt helped by Coben's writing, keeps the story believable as everyman Beck races ever closer to the truth, and to round it off, the score is great too, with clever use of familiar tracks to help keep the audience somewhat comfortable as Beck's search becomes more and more dangerous.

Tell No-one may sound like another average thriller, but its pacing and finesse place it head and shoulders above the rest of the crowd.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]