Welcome to Mooseport (2004) Poster

96 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Aw cmon now.
Rishi R15 August 2004
This movie is not as bad as it is cracked out to be. I actually went into the movie with a negative bias by reading all the comments and hearing all the trashing reviews. This movie was not too bad at all. I found it very watchable.

Okay ask yourself whether you like the show Everybody Loves Raymond. Because that it is how most of the humor is in the movie, minus the laugh track. The show is a big hit sensation, and the two characters Ray Romano play, in personality and such, are very similiar.

The story is pretty outrageous, but in a good way. The movie had the nice friendly small town feel to it. Kind of like Groundhog Day did, minus the having the same day happen over and over again thing, and that entire storyline.

It is a pretty friendly movie, and pretty funny as well. Had my laughing on a few occasions. Worth the watch. Don't be intimidated by the reviews. It is a good movie.
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Politics...with some humour.
dy1581 August 2006
I somehow do not get it why some don't really like this. I mean, it's meant to be a comedy. Anyone living in a small town will kind of relate to this. I may be coming from someone growing up in an urban environment, but all the excitement of someone famous coming to live in a town is always so fun and surreal.

Monroe 'Eagle' Cole (Gene Hackman) had served two successful terms as the president. All he wanted to do is to enjoy his retirement. But his arrival to his hometown of Mooseport had caused some spectacle of sorts.

The last thing on Monroe's mind is to run for Mayor but then he was being persuaded by the local authorities to be one. But then he also had an opponent and it's in the form of local resident Handy Harrison (Ray Romano).

What was meant to be a fair fight for the mayor position had led to an all-out war of sorts, given the ex-president is meeting Handy's girlfriend Sally (Maura Tierney). It was meant to be a casual meeting between Monroe and Sally about discussing about having a pet, but the media had made it into a spectacle. Also around the same time, the former first lady Charlotte Cole (Christine Baranski) had shown up in Mooseport to support Handy to be the mayor.

On the polling day, it was quite a close fight. In fact, very close. It was like no surprise who won in the end.

My knowledge of small-town politics is not that wide, but then I am aware of the humour being thrown into it.

It's meant to be a fun movie, and nothing else. I do kind of like it.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a nice political comedy
MLDinTN31 December 2004
While not laugh out loud funny, this movie was entertaining and amusing. Gene Hackman played the best character, a popular ex-President who moves to his vacation home only to find himself running for mayor. His character is very stereo-typical of what people think of politicians being, which is a good thing. When making speeches, he says what the audience wants to hear, he tries to dig up dirt on the opponent, etc... And Ray Romano is the opponent, Handy who everyone in town knows. He doesn't like to take risks and isn't opinionated. He's been dating Sally for six years, but hasn't popped the question.

Not only do the two run for mayor, they also but heads over Sally. The recently divorced President asks Sally out and she accepts. Of course, his people call the press and they are hounded by cameras. The Pres starts losing book deals and speech tours, so he wants to step down from running but doesn't want it to look like he got beat by his plumber. And the race ends in the happiest way possible.

Some of my favorite scenes were the president's golf game, the ex-first lady calling out the secret service in the woods who are there to throw golf balls for the president. Fred SAvage and his line of sight with the pres; the architect who keeps having to shrink the model of the presidential library. A lot of the political humor was just tongue in cheek.

FINAL VERDICT: I liked it. At least the plot made sense and it was amusing, which is more than I can say for a lot of movies now days. So, if you are looking for some entertainment, I recommend it.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not that bad
jmc476928 February 2004
This movie as not as bad as many would have you believe (including some reviewers here and almost every critic). It's not a great movie, but it has a certain charm and sweetness. I found myself getting antsy at times, but I liked the story overall. I think the main problem is Ray Romano. For one thing, he is not a very good actor and for another, he does not have the charisma needed for movies. Tim Allen's persona, to give one example, translates much better to the big screen. The other actors are good, though, especially Gene Hackman and Maura Tierney. Tierney is very appealing. She should be in more movies. When Hackman and Tierney are on screen, the movie brightens, but when the camera focuses on Romano, the movie sags. I doubt that teens and young adults would like this movie, but if you are over thirty and like romantic comedies, I would recommend it. 6 out of 10
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than most have said
zetes30 May 2004
It lacks a satirical bite, which would have made the movie more relevant and interesting, but Welcome to Mooseport is an enjoyable comedy anyway. Ray Romano stars, and he proves himself to be quite an excellent comedian on the big screen. Of course, the role isn't that much different from his character on Everybody Loves Raymond, but it's not at all bad to go with what you know. It's worked with any number of comedians in the past, and it should work with Romano. Unfortunately, the movie tanked at the box office and was not liked much by the audiences who did see it. That really surprises me. Gene Hackman co-stars as the former President of the US, Monroe Cole. He is moving to the small Maine town of Mooseport, and some of the citizens persuade him to run for mayor. Unfortunately, others have also persuaded one of the town's upstanding citizens, the hardware store manager, Handy (Romano), to run. Handy is more than willing to drop out (he doesn't care much and doesn't doubt that the ex-President will trounce him), but when Cole unknowingly hits on Handy's girlfriend (Maura Tierney), the war is on. The film could have gone any number of ways at this point, and I expected it to become mean-spirited. But it doesn't. Cole is an egomaniac, which isn't shocking considering his life, and Handy is an extraordinarily nice guy. A little stupid, especially when it comes to his relationship, but he's the guy you'd like to have as a friend. The funniest sequence involves a golf game between the two candidates. There is one piece of this that is just a great example of montage and comic timing. The movie is sweet without getting too sappy. Yet the movie really squanders a lot of opportunities. This could have been a great political satire, and we need one right now. Its worst crime is hiring a cast that is more talented than it needs to be, thus wasting a lot of people in roles that are beneath them, and likely wasting a ton of money because of it. Marcia Gay Harden, one of the hardest working actresses in Hollywood today, and one of the best, is decent as one of the President's handlers. Rip Torn is a dirty campaign manager. Maura Tierney, so very good on the television show News Radio, doesn't have anything to do. Fred Savage, for God's sake, has most of the funniest moments outside of Romano's presence. Whatever complaints I have, I was always enjoying the movie. It's well worth seeing, and it is a must-see for fans of Romano. 7/10.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good but not great movie
PersianPlaya40818 August 2006
Donald Petrie's political comedy is spot-on for me, i mean its not an amazing social commentary or anything, but it provides some good laughs, good performances, decent story and plot. I liked Schulman's wit some of the dialogues were pretty funny and Petrie's direction suited the comedic manner in which this film was intended for. Hackman was very good while Romano was not bad either much better here than Grilled, meanwhile Marcia Gay Harden, Fred Savage and Rip Torn were also pretty good. Overall a decent comedy, solid film, no complaints here, should have a higher overall IMDb rating in my opinion.-- IMDb rating: 5.3, my rating: 8/10
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Politics as it should be".
classicsoncall17 December 2011
My summary quote is a line from the movie and not the way I feel about the picture's message. Just had to get that out of the way. The conclusion you'll quickly come to after realizing the film's premise is that no way could this ever happen for real. An ex-President of the United States running for mayor of any small town USA is just not going to happen. It would be like an actor of say Gene Hackman's stature, an Oscar winner for "The French Connection" and "Unforgiven", showing up in a film like "Welcome to Mooseport". Well, wait a minute.

For a Saturday evening family movie night, this one isn't the worst choice you could make. If you're a dedicated network TV series fan, you'll probably catch a lot of your favorites from past shows here, like Ray Romano, Christine Baranski, Maura Tierney, and wonder of Wonder Years, the grown up Fred Savage still looking like the same wholesome kid he was way back when. But that's about as far as you'll get, with Romano doing his Everybody Loves character, and similar offerings from the rest of the players who are pretty much typecast from previous roles. Which is not to say that that's a bad thing if you're a fan of the principals.

Had this been made today though, think of the possibilities. You could have had a real life Joe the Plumber against a former President who took the whole hope and change thing just a bit too far. On the one hand you'd have a President who's approval index matched that of Monroe 'Eagle' Cole at the height of his Presidency, and on the other you'd have a candidate who actually knew how to fix things.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as bad as i thought.
mr_facehead12 July 2006
This film, was by no means, good. but it wasn't that bad to be honest.

There were many comical elements, and a lot of them were intentional.

Ray Romano was very good, and his character was quite likable, but at the same time a complete jax.

There wasn't really anything that stood out in this film, as "poor". The acting was reasonably good, the cinematography was OK, the storyline was a bit far fetched, and very predictable. But apart from that, and a few cheesy moments, this wasn't too bad.

I was expecting to enjoy this film, because of it's lesser qualities, however, i found a lot more.

Give it a try, it's not as bad as it looks.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well, I thought it was funny
ajb07320 June 2004
Welcome to Mooseport ***

After watching Welcome to Mooseport, I was thoroughly amused. I was surprised by the demeaning criticisms that I found throughout the message boards. I realize that this film is not a film of "excellent quality" or great artistic merit, but I don't think that it was meant to be of great quality. However despite what it lacks, it made me laugh out loud as comedies are meant to do. I laughed on many events as the Mayoral race progressed. I thought that the minor characters added an element of almost unintentional witty humor to the movie's overall sense of humor. I cracked up watching the president's (Gene Hackman) "people" who consisted of amusing body guards and political cronies as well as The Mooseport citizens who just made me smile as I watched them be humorous in their own unique way.

I found this film quite amusing and suggest to anyone who can enjoy a simple light laugh. A great movie for the kids (probably kids over 8 or 9).

I give it ***
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Film!
WhoAteMyKielbasa2 June 2004
Okay, I have to say I just got done watching this movie, and I can't explain how much I liked it. You honestly can't find too many films these days that make you feel as good as this one does. Sure, there are moments where the bit characters are BIT too much, and the story suffers from some predictability. However, if you are a fan of Romano or Hackman, or a fan of a movie where you end it feeling great about the time you spent, then see this movie. Romano fans will get an even bigger kick out of this movie because he is spectacular in it. It seems to have incorporated all of his personality nicely into the film. All of the main characters are just a treat to watch, especially if you get the DVD. The extras are very nice and complimentary.(Soova commercial) I can't say enough about this film, great stuff. Can't wait to see more from Romano! 9/10 rating!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this