IMDb > Little Black Book (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Black Book

Little Black Book More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Incredibly raw and realistic....a MUST for every girl in an uncertain relationship!

Author: farcoat
25 January 2005

After seeing the DVD for several months I finally decided to buy it, albeit knowing I was going to hate it since it gave close description of my present relationship. Brittany Murphy really made it this time, I was really in high doubts of her giving justice to the character but she caught me off guard. I never really liked Ron Livingston especially after what he did to Carrie in Sex and the City (I cant help not associating him to Carrie!) but right now, in this film, I just realized I do not like him at all even more! He could've done worse though, but him being slightly meekly ignorant of his girlfriend's feelings made the movie a whole lot realistic and not the slightest bit cheesy. I cant wait to show this to my boyfriend.

I also hate to admit this movie made me cry, and I NEVER cry. This pushes a lot of buttons in a girls life especially girls who are in a relationship wherein they are not sure about the certainty of their relationship but just hanging on, trying to "rationalize" all the "red flags" in their relationship, (quoting from another movie). I give this movie a 5 for great story and performance, and another 5 for succeeding in making me cry!

not enough writers to feed the actors

Author: lotekguy-1 from st. louis, mo
14 August 2004

Here's a new argument for genetic engineering. Hollywood is overrun with gifted performers who can charm our socks off, and technogeeks who can blow our minds with computer-generated and other f/x. But someone desperately needs to selectively breed enough writers to pump out scripts worthy of the other talents.

Consider Brittany Murphy. Ever since Alicia Silverstone chose her character for a makeover in 1995's Clueless, this charming lass has appeared in a couple of dozen mostly-forgettable, if not regrettable, projects. Murphy has more of the comic potential and ditzy appeal of a young Goldie Hawn, than Hawn's own daughter, Kate Hudson. Both starlets, and plenty of others, routinely struggle to rise above the material they're given. Murphy and the enormously precocious Dakota Fanning were double casualties in Uptown Girls.

In this almost annoying romantic comedy, Murphy's a naive, earnest Diane Sawyer wannabe, breaking into the biz on a tacky daytime talk show. Kathy Bates slums as the guest-ambushing host, with Holly Hunter as Murphy's ad hoc producing mentor. Murphy's worried that her beau (sleepwalking Ron Livingston) is commitment-phobic, and is persuaded to peruse his palm pilot. This opens a Pandora's box of three old girlfriends, whose chapters in his life aren't fully closed. Around the time her covert operation against those perceived threats will make most thinking adults sorry they bought a ticket, there's a welcome wrench of a plot twist giving the film a temporary surge, before lapsing again into banality.

Cast and premise aplenty for biting media satire with a romantic kicker. But where have all the writers gone???

How come this movie has such bad rating? Strange...

Author: hagel666 from Sweden
9 February 2006

This was pretty much a one of a kind movie. It was fun, interesting story/characters and actually a pretty great ending.

It was an intelligent movie with a story you could never guess beforehand. I got one of my biggest WOW-feelings when the big intelligent plot happened, it was really funny and amazing.

I can't understand why this movie got all those 1 out of 10 votes, I really can't. Maybe it's because most of those people aren't that intelligent, I don't know, but this was indeed one of a kind comedy.

I thought it was a solid 7, then when the plot appeared I upgraded it to a solid 8 out of 10.

I liked this movie!

Author: danjule from United States
27 August 2005

It was nice to see that not all girls HAVE to get the guy in the end to be happy. I am not usually too much of a Brittany Murphy fan. I kinda thought she used to be way too thin, which is unappealing to me. But I think she was absolutely beautiful in this movie. I think the supporting cast did a good job, I kept trying to figure out the next twist...and it's a romance movie! My husband even liked it! He didn't want to watch it with me, due to it's mediocre star rating. But I reminded him that some of his favorite movies are rated less than stellar. Goes to show, for me anyways, sometimes you just gotta see it for yourself! I will probably be watching it again!...and how about Holly Hunter's smokin' bod. I could only hope to look like that in my mid-40's!

The Best Parody of Television since 'Network'

Author: JohnFontaine from Westport, CT
22 May 2005

The pay-off of this film isn't the Heroine's happy ending, nor the clever techie twist of having a Palm Pilot at the center of the film ( Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of a Palm Pilot? ) But it is rather the climax, which gives the viewers the savaging of reality television which the genre desperately needs. This is the most satisfying skewering of the medium since 'Network'. It is unfortunate that the movie briefly falls into its own clichés with the usual Obligatory Toilet Scene. On the other hand, Helen Hunt's surprise evil turn is far better the the anticipated one of Dearth Vader. And the actress transmogrifies without the aid of any C.G.I.'s. Using Carly Simon's songs was a great idea as well. But the bombardment which they hit the daytime reality shows is equal to Network's foretelling of today's TV. Maybe in the sequel they might bring in Faye Dunaway.

Derrick's Little Black Book was very very busy!

Author: jruthis from United States
12 March 2005

Seriously! I enjoyed this movie immensely because, besides being funny, the plots and sub-plots kept you as a viewer very busy keeping up with it all. But it can and should be done! It was quite a delight.

One of the most interesting parts of the movie was the play on our current culture that allows and even encourages shows to compel us to put on display some of our "weirdness" in America, even though much of it may be fully contrived - contrived still exists in someone's imagination at least.

Brittany Murphy is so entertaining to watch. Holly Hunter is a can't miss in any movie. And the remaining supporting cast all seem to be living their lives and individually all represent aspects of our regular lives that, of course, we would not necessarily wish to air on a TV show! Worth seeing for sure! You'll laugh and cry!

Surprised after Low Expectations

Author: clearsky111 from United States
31 January 2005

Monday night, nothing to do, so rented this movie -- I'd been avoiding it after seeing the previews/posters. I thought it was going to be low-brain-cell chick-flick awful. So I was pleasantly surprised by the thoughtful ending (ok, before the cheesy fainting scene).

The movie was incorrectly labeled as a romantic comedy -- nothing romantic about it; and nothing comedic about it either (unless it's renamed Little Black Comedy). But besides the false advertising, I thought the movie was thought-provoking and a bit of a social commentary. Not only does it point out how reality TV is barf-inducing, low, exploitative, and trashy, but I was struck more by the irony -- how Murphy's character is a control-freak of sorts, but her crusade to try to "make sure" that her boyfriend is not cheating on her turns the "control-tables" on her -- and she finally realizes that life's better lived then to be controlled, plotted, planned out -- (unlike reality TV). In that sense, the movie was presented more of a reality than any escapist chick flick.

Overall, better if you go into the movie with low expectations, and wait for the ending --

I just wasted 2 hours of my life and can never get it back....

Author: yoko-j-murakami from United States
27 January 2005

I thought that this was one of the WORST movies I have EVER seen. This movie was advertised as being a romantic comedy but it was not at all. I am a huge fan of awesomely bad movies, but this was just awful. I watched this in a room full of girls and everyone left annoyed. I am just glad that my friend rented this movie so that I didn't have to pay money to see this. Some of the characters were just ridiculous and completely unlikeable. The plot was just silly and I found the ending the worst part of the movie. Ron Livingston is the one redeeming quality. I just feel bad that all of these actors got stuck in such a horrible film.

Why I watched it

Author: amerie1987 from Aruba
2 May 2005

It was kind of slow in the beginning. The first part of the movie wasn't really amusing to me and at one point I really thought of putting on the next DVD. But thankfully I bared through 'cause it was only at the near ending I saw that this movie has more to do with my life than anything, I was really brought to tears when Joyce (the chef supposedly doing a cook-off for the Kippie Kan Do Show)was explaining to Stacey what she really felt inside. "A clean break is easier." "You can reset it, and it heals, and you move on. But id you leave things messy or don't get put right, it just hurts. -Forever" It might not be the best movie, it even might seem boring but at least one element moved me like no movie ever had ever before, it hit close to home(as they say). Maybe this is the only reason I liked it too. But hey how many reason do you really need?

Delightful Romantic Comedy With a Magnificent Conclusion

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 April 2005

Stacy Holt (Brittany Murphy) is an immature and insecure young woman raised listening to the songs of Carly Simon and aiming to work producing the talk show of a great network. She lives with her boyfriend Derek (Ron Livingston), but she becomes the associate producer of a sensationalist reality show in a local television presented by Kippie Kann (Kathy Bates). In the production of the show, a nest of snakes, she becomes friend of Barb (Holly Hunter), and once Derek has never talked about his former relationships with Stacy, she is convinced by Barb to investigate his previous girlfriends. When Derek travels and forgets his palmtop, Stacy sneaks into his agenda and decides to interview his three previous girlfriends, the supermodel Lulu Fritz (Josie Maran), the gynecologist Dr. Rachel Keyes (Rashida Jones) and the sweet restauranteur Joyce (Julianne Nicholson), of whom she becomes friend. However, a great surprise waits for Stacy, in a game of manipulation. "Little Black Book" is a delightful romantic comedy, a tale of manipulation, with a magnificent conclusion. Brittany Murphy is too much infantile for her professional position, but her character is in the beginning of her career and therefore her naive behavior is totally acceptable. I felt a particular attraction for the beauty and the sweet face of Julianne Nicholson, and I do not remember her in any other movie I have recently seen. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "A Agenda Secreta do Meu Namorado" ("The Hidden Agenda of My Boyfriend")

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]