IMDb > Little Black Book (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Black Book

Little Black Book More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Interesing movie--would make a good Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, if it weren't already a musical

Author: JCHathaway-1 from United States
27 May 2005

Given the reactions in other reviews, I'd suggest that this is one of those movies that is horribly mismarketed. The trailers, packaging, etc., bill it as a romantic comedy when, as another reviewer observed, it is actually a dark comedy, or a tragedy of sorts. The beginning was light and enjoyable. The middle was tedious and grating. The ending spoke to me on a profound level. Some have criticized the Carly Simon soundtrack. Man of us narrate our lives with a favorite singer or composer, so that merely adds a touch of realism and sense to the soundtrack, rather than randomly selected background songs that connect to the theme but not the plot. As for the theme of the movie, it has several, which can either make for good or bad art, depending upon the execution. The primary theme, if you go by the narrative framing device, is young adult coming of age. The character has been raised by a single, divorced mother--studies and common sense show that children of divorced couples are far more likely to be cynical about relationships. But she is yet naive and optimistic. She trusts too readily, and trusts the wrong people. For this Andrew Lloyd Webber fanatic, the film raised familiar feelings to two of his shows. One is _Song and Dance_, the story of a naive young woman trying to make it in NYC and being brought down by a series of bad relationships. In the end, she must confront her own descent and loss of naiveté. The other is _Sunset Boulevard_, based of course on the Billy Wilder film, which deals with moral descent in the pursuit of career. The climax scene of this film reminds me of both works. But ultimately, the lesson is that even our worst failures and bad experiences can be life lessons. In order to have our dreams and plans come true, we must be willing to allow ourselves to fail along the way, and learn from failure. This is true in relationships and in careers. Some people encounter liars and cheats, and become liars and cheats in return. Others encounter liars and cheats, then learn to avoid them and not stoop to their level.

A pleasant surprise

Author: lomelasz from Dundee
15 April 2005

What a great movie this turned out to be. Not only is it not just another rom-com, but in parts is wildy funny and actually has a brain. Brittany Murphy was made for comedy whilst Holly Hunter and Kathy Bates are both hoots respectively. Thankfully the movie isn't ruined by a predictable and cliché ending and is a pleasure to watch. Plus, it has a fantastic cameo that sets up one of the movie's funniest moments. Along with 13 Going on 30, this is one of the few rom-coms from last year that strayed from formulaic and just invented its own direction. It saddens me that this film has received so many negative reviews because it is actually really good.

Missing the Point

Author: katyggls from United States
10 April 2005

I liked this film but it does have it's problems. Number one is Brittany Murphy. She's like a ten year old playing grown-up. She's just not believable as an adult character. She should go back to teen/college movies until she finishes puberty.

I think most of the people who have posted a review of this movie missed the point. One person wrote that it felt unfinished to them because there was no "resolution of the relationships". That was the point of the movie! You can't be certain about anything when it comes to romantic relationships, therefore you should fulfill yourself in other ways. Our culture is obsessed with the romantic relationship. We exult it to the end-all and be-all of existence. So (Spoiler Alert!) I thought it was refreshing that the end of the film showed the character finding happiness in her career/doing something she liked instead of in a man. It seems like every movie around sends the message that its impossible for a woman to be happy unless she finds "true love" or her "soul mate". That's Harlequin romance crap. No wonder women in America are depressed when the culture continually screams at them, "Get a Man! Or you'll never be happy!" End rant.

A Little Surprising

Author: Mitiori from San Diego, CA
2 April 2005

I gave the movie an 8 because I mostly enjoyed it.

That's not to say that I couldn't deconstruct the poorly concocted and unculled plots, the poor editing and the unlikeable characters. Or that I didn't FF a few places, surf the Net and take a lot of breaks. It's just that I expected an annoying Brittany Murphy "romantic comedy" and got a poorly disguised sitcom instead. And while I hate sitcoms, it suited my desire for a mildly entertaining film I'd never seen before and that didn't challenge my mind too much.

Ron Livinston was completely wasted - I've adored him in everything I've ever seen him in before this. Not only was he wasted, he was a reprehensible character. Other reviewers have already harped on how terrible Stacy (Brittany) and the other characters were. I just want to make sure everyone realizes what a creep this guy was - which softened the dislike I otherwise had for Stacy's actions. I would NEVER put up with a guy who was lying to me like he was to her. I would have dumped him long before I took all of the actions this character did (not that I would ever do that, but you know what I mean).

It was a diversion for people who enjoy movies, like I do.

Slightly amusing light sort of movie

Author: reblit (reblit@alltel.net) from United States
26 March 2005

"Little Black Book" is a slightly amusing, slightly dramatic movie.

The movie is about a man's palm pilot and the things his current girlfriend finds in it. Brittan Murphy (the current girlfriend) goes to great lengths to find out information that her boyfriend (Ron Livingston) has not shared with her when he goes off on business and leaves his palm pilot behind.

Holly Hunter plays a co-worker at Murphy's new place of employment. Hunter instigates Murphy's action.

The movie touches on what a person will do to get ahead at work and what a girl will do to find out about her boyfriend's past relationships.

Julianne Nicholson's character (Joyce) was well done and after watching the movie it is her character that I remember.

Let's be honest here...

Author: lupuspaw from USA
3 March 2005

OK, I was watching this movie knowing what I expected... the girl will dig where she shouldn't go, find things she wouldn't like, the boy would find out, there'd be some strife, and they'd work it out in the end...

And, thankfully, that's not what happened... well not exactly. In fact, though there were predictable parts to the movie, there were scenes and pieces that I never expected and for people who've grown up watching what's likely thousands of movies, that's saying something.

The movie did start out predictably enough with Brittany being sort of confused as to why her boyfriend wouldn't mention something that to her was pretty important - that being he'd dated a supermodel. And when her co-workers (all of them working at a sleaze talk show) do to her what they do normally (dig for "truth") she begins to get more and more interested in what she's missing from her b/f's past. There are bits that are humorous just to be humorous (NOT a podiatrist)... but the movie actually feels like what an insecure person might do (the equivalent to looking through a spouse's pockets or a friend's medicine chest)... Brittany's character is basically a decent individual who lets herself get prodded onto the slippery slope and things fall apart for her as a result. The "wrap up" during the talk show was surprising on many levels but I think that alone cranked up the rating of the whole movie... And though the very end was sort of a pat happy ending, it didn't detract enough from what I thought was a good movie to be an issue.

This only vaguely has a spoiler, not too obvious

Author: jujubeekc from United States
15 February 2005

This movie had it's cute moments, which is why I didn't give it a totally crappy score, although five out of ten is only a mere fifty percent, which is still technically an F. I was frustrated by the way Stacy handled herself and I wanted to jump into the TV and shake her around a few times and ask her, "What the heck are you doing?!!" Others gave kudos to the end of the movie, but I just found it to be annoying. Although I felt that Stacy had overstepped her boundaries, I didn't feel like she deserved what she got. Overall, this is a shining example of the lowest levels people will sink to in the right situations. It made me want to puke on multiple occasions, but you all will be happy to know that I managed to keep my lunch down. I deserve applause for the struggle it took to avoid the heaves.

500

Author: Ivana from Bosnia and Herzegovina
8 February 2005

This is really great movie.I love it.You people don't like it only 'cause you don't laugh all the time in it.Well,look outside.real life ain't funny all the time and this movie is truthful.Life ain't funny. Best thing in this movie is that you have no idea how it's going to end.Trust me.And Brittany is great.........Do you agree?She is cool. peace. live your life. Be better person. At least,try.That is the only way we could have a better life. Live your dream. Why you didn't like this movie? That is what I really want to know.But,who knows...It is your opinion.And remember:The world is like a mirror;frown at it,and it frowns at you.Smile,and it smiles,too.

Incredibly raw and realistic....a MUST for every girl in an uncertain relationship!

Author: farcoat
25 January 2005

After seeing the DVD for several months I finally decided to buy it, albeit knowing I was going to hate it since it gave close description of my present relationship. Brittany Murphy really made it this time, I was really in high doubts of her giving justice to the character but she caught me off guard. I never really liked Ron Livingston especially after what he did to Carrie in Sex and the City (I cant help not associating him to Carrie!) but right now, in this film, I just realized I do not like him at all even more! He could've done worse though, but him being slightly meekly ignorant of his girlfriend's feelings made the movie a whole lot realistic and not the slightest bit cheesy. I cant wait to show this to my boyfriend.

I also hate to admit this movie made me cry, and I NEVER cry. This pushes a lot of buttons in a girls life especially girls who are in a relationship wherein they are not sure about the certainty of their relationship but just hanging on, trying to "rationalize" all the "red flags" in their relationship, (quoting from another movie). I give this movie a 5 for great story and performance, and another 5 for succeeding in making me cry!

not enough writers to feed the actors

Author: lotekguy-1 from st. louis, mo
14 August 2004

Here's a new argument for genetic engineering. Hollywood is overrun with gifted performers who can charm our socks off, and technogeeks who can blow our minds with computer-generated and other f/x. But someone desperately needs to selectively breed enough writers to pump out scripts worthy of the other talents.

Consider Brittany Murphy. Ever since Alicia Silverstone chose her character for a makeover in 1995's Clueless, this charming lass has appeared in a couple of dozen mostly-forgettable, if not regrettable, projects. Murphy has more of the comic potential and ditzy appeal of a young Goldie Hawn, than Hawn's own daughter, Kate Hudson. Both starlets, and plenty of others, routinely struggle to rise above the material they're given. Murphy and the enormously precocious Dakota Fanning were double casualties in Uptown Girls.

In this almost annoying romantic comedy, Murphy's a naive, earnest Diane Sawyer wannabe, breaking into the biz on a tacky daytime talk show. Kathy Bates slums as the guest-ambushing host, with Holly Hunter as Murphy's ad hoc producing mentor. Murphy's worried that her beau (sleepwalking Ron Livingston) is commitment-phobic, and is persuaded to peruse his palm pilot. This opens a Pandora's box of three old girlfriends, whose chapters in his life aren't fully closed. Around the time her covert operation against those perceived threats will make most thinking adults sorry they bought a ticket, there's a welcome wrench of a plot twist giving the film a temporary surge, before lapsing again into banality.

Cast and premise aplenty for biting media satire with a romantic kicker. But where have all the writers gone???

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]