IMDb > Little Black Book (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Little Black Book

Little Black Book More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 12: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

More than a Romantic Comedy - Very Thought Provoking!

Author: e_hambly from Ontario, California
14 August 2004

I have seen Brittany Murphy in a variety of roles, from Silly (Zack and Reba), to Quirky (Spun), to Dramatic (Falling Sky), to Charming (Uptown Girls), and I must say that Little Black Book takes her to a new level in Introspection.

While on the surface, one might not see how the dilemma she faces, and the questions she raises in the film are the same ones many of us end up asking ourselves (or at least SHOULD be asking ourselves) at various times in our lives: it turns out that they really ARE! Especially when she's wondering whether ignorance is bliss.

I also liked how the movie has a few interesting plot twists, and doesn't come off as entirely predictable. Kudos to the writers and director :-) IF you are a Brittany Murphy fan, then I would highly recommend seeing this movie, since it isn't just a rehashing of the types of roles she's had in the past, but instead allows her to expend her repertoire of characterizations into yet another dimension of the human experience. As a Romantic Comedy I would give it an "8".

Little Charmer of a Movie

Author: katydid4819 from ABQ
13 August 2004

Is reality funny? Sometimes. At the least it's entertaining. Why else would all of America be so taken with Who Wants To Marry My Dad or The Apprentice? In Little Black Book, the filmmakers strive to use actual aspects of human existence as their centerfold in terms of laughs. But see, they picked the wrong quality. They chose our innate desire to lie, pry and back stab. Why would you want to see a comedy about that?

Well, Brittany Murphy would be why. She has yet to prove that she can carry a movie and I suspect this is not her ticket but she has before shown ability to charm in the worst of situations. This is one of the stars of Just Married after all. Though her choices of leading roles don't span much further than Uptown Girls and Little Black Book, she does have a knack for being just the cutest thing since her Uptown co-star Dakota Fanning. Here Murphy plays an associate producer who digs into her boyfriend's dating past using a ‘little black book', also known as a palm pilot. Now I doubt that her boyfriend keeps the pictures of his ex in a thong in his palm pilot but this the romcom genre, we're used to giving them liberties. She meets an assorted mix of girls who all have had something to do with her Derek at one time or another, and apparently still do.

This movie fails in plot description. There's not much to say about. The twist is what saves it. Comedies so rarely see twists (at least not good ones) that this one completely took me aback. Of course, when it was all said and done, I was mad about the decision to make this twist. It makes you angry and even though the movie does have a happy ending –very happy, actually-I was fed up that a comedy would make me mad.

It's Murphy's movie and in part, Holly Hunter does provide the most laugh lines but it's still a disappointment in terms of plot and characterization other than these two. But if you have some time and feel like seeing an entertaining movie that's charming but lacks true humor, this is for you. ***/*****

working girl genre

Author: A F from Canada
23 January 2007

For those expecting a complete chick flick, you may be disappointed.

The movie started out looking very soft and light, but as it progressed, you were immersed into the lives of strong, funny and independent women. You were drawn into complex female characters, a rarity in the industry, who were neither good nor evil.

I loved the movie, as it was not just about the girl getting the guy, but it examined many of the lies that we surround ourselves with. The story had many twists, with witty, and insightful looks into the lives of the women.

And I loved the ending.

Very worthy of viewing!

Author: Mark Thornton (mdthornton@adelphia.net) from United States
11 November 2006

Determined to learn the truth about her secretive boyfriend, Derek (Ron Livingston), Stacy (Brittany Murphy) becomes a bona fide snoop in this comedy. Associate producer of Kippie Kann's (Kathy Bates) popular talk show, Stacy's dying to find out about Derek's past relationships. Helped by Barb (Holly Hunter), she gets the names of his ex-lovers and interviews them, supposedly for an upcoming show. But what she learns only adds to her confusion.

This is actually my first attempt at writing a review for any film. I'm not sure why they request a minimum of ten lines of text, or if I can come up with that much to say. All I can say is that it is very difficult to understand how this movie could have such a low overall rating. The acting was, indeed excellent. It held my interest all the way through. Although I don't believe it qualifies as a "suspense", I certainly was kept wondering what would happen next! I Highly recommend viewing!

SPOILER: Jerry Springer on Estrogen

Author: arieliondotcom from United States
29 July 2006

I enjoyed this movie for several reasons. There are plenty of plot twists as we follow Holly Hunter in her snooping into the supposedly ex girlfriends of her live-in boyfriend's past. So there are some genuine surprises that even men will like in this thinly veiled chick flick. But the real reason that you must see this movie is the acting of Julianne Nicholson (Joyce, one of the supposedly ex-girlfriends). This is some of the best acting I have seen in a long time since I was forced to see another chick flick a long time ago (Steel Magnolias) and was floored by Sally Fields. Nickolson comes across as totally hot, totally vulnerable, totally believable as the real love of your life who can't get over you and you're just too stupid to have realized she was the one.

I deducted points off for some preachy moments (trying to make us all regret watching Jerry Springer and his ilk...well, suffering through the sermonette in this film is penance enough). There are some truly funny moments, some truly touching moments that can get to even us men, some painfully preachy moments, some surprisingly surprising moments. But the real story of this movie is the acting of Julianne Nicholson. So watch it, enjoy it, and stick with it through the tedious parts (you, too, guys) and you'll find yourself falling in love with Julianne Nicholson and wishing there were a woman who loved you as she loves the fool in this movie and wishing you weren't the fool that, like he, let the best one get away.

Amazing music, acting, story, and film

Author: freecourtney1011 from United States
11 June 2006

This is a film for anyone who has ever been in any relationship, or is in one. Little Black Book is a cute, funny satire on relationships where trust is not there. Carly Simon's music inspired this film as it has other great relationship based films such as Working Girl, and Heartburn. A great film to watch after a terrible break-up, due to the extremely hopeful and inspiring ending. Brittany Murphy (Sin City) is once again brilliant, beautiful, and cleaver as the lead who just so happens gets caught up in one big tangled web with the help of her partner/friend played by Holly Hunter (Thirteen). Little Black Book offers a great story, an amazing cast including Murphy, Hunter as well as Kathy Bates (Rumor Has It...) and a cameo by Carly Simon.

Great Movie.

Author: mini_rouse_070_ from Melbourne, Australia
3 July 2005

I don't know what most of you are saying because I must of been watching a different movie. This was a GREAT film. Funny, sad and well written! One of the best movies I've seen in a long time! I actually cried in this movie and I don't usually cry in movies... didn't come out on the big screen but should have! It had a great cast of good actors! I think if you love a good chick flick with songs like your so vein in it you gotta love this one! It was very funny and it made you feel like it was happening to you, made you feel sad because of what was happening. Loved it! (I have no idea what the rest of you are on, this was a great film).

A Brittany Murphy movie worth watching!

Author: Bob Peterson from Kettering, Ohio, U.S.A.
16 February 2005

I borrowed this movie from an in-law that rented it. It had Brittany Murphy in it so I thought it would be good. I watched it and first had a bad "taste" in my mouth because we see Murphy snooping in a guy's personal property. She wanted to be a star right up there with her hero Diane Sawyer. I thought there would be a cameo of Sawyer but sadly there wasn't! I was glued to the movie the whole time as we watched the story unfold. It did have a strange ending what I couldn't even begin to describe! Holly Hunter was also good in this. I plan on watching a couple more of her movies as well. Kathy Bates's character was a good one I know you'll like!

I liked it!

Author: M35Turco
12 August 2004

I really found the movie to be enjoyable. It had a different perspective on the happily ever after fairytale ending, and was realistic enough. I really fell in love with the characters, showing that they all had likable and very unlikable qualities (more down-to-earth than most romantic comedies) and the romance was there -- just not the in since that we would have thought. I think Murphy did a wonderful job, as did the rest of the crew, and I personally loved the film! Being a 16 year old girl I can see more to who this movie is reaching out to -- not the 40 year old male movie critics. It's a great movie and if you are looking for a bitter sweet romantic comedy I would definitely recommend it!

Waste of Time

Author: broomulack from Staten Island
9 August 2004

There's not much I can add to what others have said about this load of garbage, but I'll add some serious plot holes that you can drive a cement truck through:

- Derek calls home asking Stacy to get a "couple of phone numbers" from his PDA, which he inadvertently (and conveniently) left home. Why did she feel the need to snoop through the PDA? He gave her PERMISSION - in fact, ASKED her to!!!!!

- Only extremely stupid (which Derek was not) or psychotic (which he also wasn't) guys would store their ex-girlfriend's pictures in various states of undress on an easily accessible item like a PDA. Why was he carrying around such pictures?! A guy who got away with what he did would certainly have taken better precautions.

- Joyce calls back immediately after seeing Derek's number on caller ID when Stacy and Barb accidentally call her with the computer, then proceeds to leave a message that makes it sound like she calls all the time. Yet Stacy lives there and conveniently has never answered a call from this woman (or any of the others for that matter). Also, Joyce never bothers to call him on his cell phone or mention this odd occurrence during any subsequent conversations.

- Also very conveniently, Joyce and Rachel have no knowledge of Stacy either, a fact that seems quite unlikely considering Stacy lives with Derek and these women apparently see/speak to him regularly. This guy could give lessons on juggling women!

- Derek has a cell phone (obviously, since he used it to call Stacy a number of times) and neither Rachel or Joyce called him about all the silly goings-on around his (Derek's) life, particularly the fact that the dog, Bob, has superhuman powers. The conversation may have gone something like this: "Hi, Derek? It's me, Rachel. Our dog just showed up on my doorstep, alone, rang my bell, barked in response to my calling his name, and when I went down he was suddenly under the stairs near the apartment below. What? No, of course I didn't look to see if anyone else was there. Why not? Bob has always had a great sense of humor and a fondness for juvenile stunts like ringing doorbells and running away, you know that. Besides, he ran up to greet me. The funniest thing happened next: a strange woman who didn't even know her own name or the dog's showed up a couple of minutes later and I just let her right in! Talk to you soon!"

- This is nitpicking, but the game between the Devils and the Tampa Bay Lightning was billed as "the Stanley Cup", yet the Stanley Cup cannot be played for between those two teams as they are in the same conference.

There's more, but I think this is sufficient to stop you from wasting your money. View at your own risk.

Page 11 of 12: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]