IMDb > Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Entertaining and light hearted

Author: from Sydney, Australia
1 September 2004

I myself am a teenager and took my 10 year old sister to see this movie. I won't say much as to not ruin the movie for those who have not seen it but i will give my opinion on the mood of the film and such.

If you want to see this, don't expect a deep and meaningful (or realistic) outlook on highschool life because it is your everyday teen/highschool comedy with the over-used storyline of new girl vs popular girl then new girl gets the guy and brings popular girl down.

On a better note, Lohan's character, "Lola" was an entertaining one and i enjoyed watching her over-exaggerated perspective of things. I must admit that the set up of Lola's room and the way their family lived and the clothes Lola wore were inspiring. I don't know if this is going to be the case for everyone (haha) but i know that point of the movie made it all worthwhile for me.

I'd recommend taking a younger sister/cousin/friend between about 6-12. Remember, sometimes we need a silly movie!

Maybe likable for young girls

Author: rbverhoef (rbverhoef@hotmail.com) from The Hague, Netherlands
3 May 2005

'Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen' comes as a disappointment from Lindsay Lohan after the very funny 'Freaky Friday' and 'Mean Girls'. Here she plays Mary, naming herself Lola, a girl who leaves New York, the city she loves, and moves to New Jersey with her mother and two little sisters. At her new school she becomes friends with Ella (Alison Pill), mainly because they both like the same rock band, Sid Arthur. Lola is a nice person but lies too much because she wants to be liked. She seems very sure of herself, but we understand that is only on the surface. Since the school is where most of the story takes place we need a villain, another good looking girl named Carla (Mega Fox). Parts of the story involve the bad Sid Arthur breaking up, a last concert they will give in New York and Lola and Ella trying to get in. Carla will be there since her father is the lawyer that represents Sid Arthur. Other parts involve a school play where Lola is cast for the leading role and Carla only for a small supporting role.

I am not sure why this film was made, but I guess to show Lohan dancing, singing, being arrogant, learning her lesson, have a happy ending, do some more dancing and some more singing. It felt more like a Hilary Duff film and I was not surprised to learn the part of Lola was in fact offered to her first. No offense to Duff, but Lohan is a much better actress and has proved that in films with scripts so much more intelligent than this one. This one fits in a line with Duff films like 'A Cinderella Story' or 'Raise Your Voice', films where you can enjoy the good looking lady but nothing else. I hope Lohan's next film will have the wit of a 'Mean Girls' again. I even have hard time believing young teenage girls will enjoy this one. There are some moments for them to be funny I guess, but most of the time it is not. Not for male adults, not for teenage girls.

I like Lindsay Lohan, a lot actually, therefore I was able to finish this film. She does the best she can, basically proving she is too good for material like this. Without her I would have hated this film completely. Since most people will not like Lohan as much as I do I can honestly say you will probably hate this film too.

Lindsay Lohan is the only good part

Author: christian123
14 November 2004

Lindsay Lohan plays Lola, a hip Greenwich Village teenager who moves to a new school in a Jersey suburb, where she faces Carla Santini, a girl claiming to be the most popular girl at her school, a title that Lola must have no matter what. After trying to nab the lead role in the school play, the competition between the two girls culminates at a sold-out concert by Lola's favorite band that Carla conveniently has tickets to see.

The previews made the film seem boring and for the most part it is. There's not really a story and it's hard to tell what the real intentions of the film are. There were a bunch of little stories but none of them really went anywhere. I know this film is directed towards teenage girls but they deserve better films than this. The movie was just so lame and unfunny. The whole clumsy girl act is really getting old and it wasn't really funny to begin with anyways. They were trying really hard for laughs and it just wasn't working. There were just a few small chuckles and that's it. The only reason why someone should watch this is because of Lindsay Lohan. She actually gives an entertaining performance and she saves the film from being really bad.

Sarah Sugarman does a terrible job at directing. She doesn't have one clear idea for a story, just a bunch of random scenes put together. It was pretty much just Lindsay Lohan running around all over the place. Lohan doesn't really get support from the rest of the cast since they all decide to phone in their performances. The film is also very unrealistic and it sends a bad message out to kids. For example, two thirteen (or fourteen) year old girls wouldn't go to a concert in New York and depend on a scalper to give them tickets. Then they have this scene where the two girls are in the bedroom of Sid Arthur having a pillow fight while there's a party (thrown by a rock star) going on downstairs. It was just completely stupid and unrealistic. The ending is also pretty bad since it randomly ends with Lohan kissing Sam even though they hardly focused on this romantic subplot. This film was just an uneven, unfunny mess. In the end, Lindsay Lohan is the only reason to watch this and it's really just for die hard fans. Rating 3/10

What a terrible, TERRIBLE movie.

Author: PurplePanther from United States
29 May 2005

This is the saddest excuse for a film I have ever seen! What a piece of crap! This film has no plot at all. It can't decide if it's about a school play, two girls wanting to meet a rock star, or a teenager overcoming her urge to lie compulsively. I would have been more entertained watching a dog take a dump. This movie is utter garbage and should never see the light of day again. First off, the main character seems to be more of an antagonist than the real antagonist is. How is an audience member supposed to sympathize with a selfish, obsessive, ignorant liar? Lola goes throughout the movie doing nothing but complaining and lying while her only friend puts up with it. Carla, her enemy, is more likable than her. And that's the truth. The romantic interest is barely in the movie at all. It's like "Hey, you were in this movie for like ten minutes, right? What's your name again? Let's end the movie with us kissing". It's was idiotic. This is a comedy that isn't. Please do not waste your time or your money, this film is movie vomit.

People are waiting to sparkle... I mean, puke

Author: Jonathan A. Cullum from Auburn, Alabama, USA
31 August 2004

This film is the embodiment of everything I hate. Loathe, hate, abhor, detest, and despise. It gives us the perspective of a vapid teenage girl we're supposed to like, pitted against the mean-spiritedness of her even more vapid, less likable, tormentor. An hour and a half of whining and cat-fighting is tidied up at film's end with a gesture as shallow as the fountain into which one of the characters falls. What could have been a good satire turns out to be a warm, fuzzy hug toward every grating detail of spoiled-brat life that should have been its target. The performances are almost uniformly terrible (Lohan should have played the rich snob, for starters), and the film's rock-musical adaptation of PYGMALION (yes, you read that correctly) is one of the more painful things I've ever had to sit through. This is the rare film that can be described as literally headache-inducing. It gives me new appreciation for THE LIZZIE MCGUIRE MOVIE, which is a bad film, but whose star now looks like a beacon of modesty and talent compared to Lohan in this make-me-a-star-now vehicle. (1/10) (* out of ****) (Grade: F)

I really thought the movie could have been better.

Author: cadfile from Columbus, Ohio
26 February 2004

"Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" is the story of Lola Cep, played by Lindsey Lohan, trying to fit into a new town and school after moving from New York. She wants to be an actress and she creates dramatic stories about her life and like some teen aged girls she gets over dramatic about the events happening around her. It is all part of her attempt to be more interesting.

I really thought the movie could have been better.

Lohan does a great job playing the "drama queen" and for the most part her character is believable.

Her new friend Ella, played by Alison Pill, is the nice rich girl while Carla, played by Megan Fox, is the nasty bitch rich girl and Lola's main nemesis.

I was in drama club in high school and those scenes did seem believable as the group is preparing for the school musical. In fact, one year, we had a freshman girl beat our the senior girl for the lead in our school play. That caused a lot of issues just like those shown in the film. Carol Kane's Miss Baggoli was a bit too loopy but my drama directors could be strange.

The problem was the story.

The main theme of the movie, as I saw it, was Lola building this fantasy world for her life, having it crash down as lie built upon lie does eventually, then comes redemption and she becomes a better person for it in the end. Lola learns she can be interesting just being herself.

That is a nice film in itself. Unfortunately, the filmmakers couldn't leave it alone and added an unneeded big city adventure for Lola and Ella. It is understandable since we need someway to have Lola's interesting fake life uncovered but it led to an unbelievable situation when she meets her rock star obsession. I kept expecting her and Ella to get into one zany scrape after another, but that didn't happen. If you are going to waste film shooting in the big city at least have something major happen.

The other issue was one of theme.

If the theme is that lying to make oneself interesting will bring retribution - in this case Lola's humiliation in front of her classmates, then the ending of the film didn't fit the theme. I guess it was just Disney's way of getting a happy ending but the stories Lola created were so huge it was not believable that she got what she wanted in the end. She turns out to be really no better than Carla, who gets what she wants because she thinks she deserves it.

Lola was far too lucky. A little realism would have been nice.

Lindsey Lohan showed a spark that could lead her to better roles. I really think that she could be a big star a few years from now. She shined in this movie and was by far the best part of it, bad script and all. I think years from now people will be saying "Hilary who?"

Personally I thought the most interesting supporting character was Calum Cep, Lola's dad, played by Tom McCamus. Those of us who watch sci-fi shows produced in Canada may know McCamus from his role as Mason Eckhart on the "Mutant X" television series.

Fluff And Nonsense

Author: George Attwood from Canada
25 May 2006

CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE DRAMA QUEEN ** A lot of fluff and nonsense. It's about a spirited teen who moves from New York City to a dull suburb in New Jersey and faces difficulty when she enters into a new school. One of her pupils has the Most Popular Girl title that she strives to have (after all, she IS a Drama Queen!), so she takes the lead role in a school play to attain the title. The shallow screenplay is so full of holes one wonders how it managed to hold its own at the box office. Production designer Leslie MacDonald and costume designer David C. Robinson have a field day making this rather trivial production visually rich.

Confessions should never be this dull.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
22 March 2009

Yawn, yawn and yawn once again. Lindsay Lohan stars in a bleached-out, mega-bland, by the numbers Disney outing and thoroughly wastes her talent in a lead role that could have been filled by . . . . a Barbie doll, for all the realism and emotion needed.

The story concerns a young girl (Lohan) with an over-active imagination who decides to "exaggerate" details of her life to make herself seem more interesting after moving from New York to New Jersey. It's fairly obvious that her lies will come back to bite her on the backside and that lessons will be learned. It's also fairly obvious how her new best friend will react to any revelations. Oh, and it's fairly obvious when the girls' favourite band breaks up and are having one last concert and then exclusive party exactly how things will pan out during THAT particular evening. As I said at the start of this review. YAWN!

The cast are completely wasted in this fairytale that I can't imagine appealing to anyone except the most undemanding viewer. Lohan is always watchable but her character has no real depth or even a decent arch to work through. All of her emotions are exhibited through annoyingly literal musical cues (HAPPY songs mean that she is HAPPY and vice versa) Her friend (played by Alison Pill) comes from the Disney stable of rent-a-kids. The "arch-enemy" gets the better moments and is well played by Megan Fox, who really keeps her nails well-filed and ready to scratch. As for the adults here, great names like Carol Kane and Glenne Headly are given a few decent moments but then cast aside for the dream-chasing teens. Which may well be as things should be but doesn't stop the viewer regretting not being able to see more of those great performers.

There isn't really even enough here to keep kids amused although the 7-14(ish) young female market may think this is a fantastic film and that's the only demographic I can see being won over by this film. It offends nobody but also barely entertains anyone. Watchable, but only just.

See this if you like: The Prince & Me, Lindsay Lohan, Uptown Girls.

A typical Disney High School Teen Flick!

Author: walshie2k4 from United Kingdom
27 February 2005

Let just say from a non-biased point of view this film was nothing special. From start to finish it remained a typical Disney Teen Movie, the main role of Lola is played by Lindsay Lohan. It has to be said Lohan does not do a bad job of acting in this simple box standard teen flick. Many parts of the film are rather unrealistic and although this relates to the tilte - 'Drama Queen' maybe the film is a little far fetched. A good example of this is when Lola is talking to Ella about the death of her father, the story is told in I would say Lizzy Maguire style with all the cartoons etc. These cartoons are totally over the top and stand out like a sore thumb as this style is never used in the film again. The whole aspect of a girl with a dream moving from New York City the dream city with the lights, sparkle and Broadway to a small basic town in New Jersey. Although this small basic town seems to have large malls, a high school able to put on a show that you would expect to see on Broadway and more Apple Laptops than NYU. Some scenes in the film are extremely dragged out for example the scene in which Lola and Ella follow Stu Wolf. I personally found it long and boring. A highlight of the film is Lohans rendition of 'That Girl' which takes part at the end of the High School show. Also the performance from Allison Phill is excellent and at times moving showing the girl who was 'brave enough to be different' because of Lolas influence. Over all the film is a typical high school teen flick. I should not imagen it has made a significant promotion or change in Lohan's career or that of any actor involved. I would advise if you are a fan of Lohan's or like this type of Disney Teen flick I would go see the film, otherwise catch it on cable sometime. Notthing special.

Lindsay Lohan Carries Drama Queen

Author: CitizenCaine from Las Vegas, Nevada
22 December 2004

Lindsay Lohan is back as Lola, a self-obsessed teen girl masquerading as a sophisticated Bohemian type. Glenne Headly, as Lola's mother Karen, is responsible for moving her budding teenage actress daughter Lola from the trendy, exciting New York City to Dellwood, New Jersey. Notice how close Dellwood is to dull. Lola and her new friend Ella, played by Alison Pill, are busy trying to dethrone teen hottie Megan Fox at the local high school. Along the way, they have the typical teenage girl drama and get to go to a cool after hours band party of Lola's favorite band. In true teen girl fashion, important lessons are learned about friendship and being popular. While the movie is very typical for its genre and not particularly inspired, Lindsay Lohan brings energy and her unique brand of charm and talent to it. Several known actors appear in lesser roles: Sheila McCarthy and Tom McCamus among them. The film is made watchable by Lindsay Lohan only; she also sings several songs, including the title track. **1/2 of 4 stars.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]