IMDb > Comic Book: The Movie (2004) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Comic Book: The Movie (V) More at IMDbPro »

own it, and not bad

Author: darthhessian
26 January 2004

Well for starters its Mark Hamill walking around, pretending to be a super comic book nerd that centers his attention around a 1940's circa comic book, that Mirimax has recently picked up to be made into a modern day movie. The production company wants it to be bloody and action packed, Donald Swan (Hamill) wants it to be more like the older comic he has grown to love and adore. So the movie company hires him as an "expert" to go around and get the average joes "perceptive" on this would be movie (which is not real people). What makes this mock-umentary so neat is that big names like Stan Lee, Bruce Campbell, and Kevin Smith play along like its the real deal, and talk to Hamill like he isnt Hamill. Even the fans don't rush him yelling Skywalker or anything. Overall its fun to watch, and funny to see the conventions he goes too, and naturally Kevin Smith is pure gold!! A must own for any comic book fan.

Revenge of the Comic-Nerds

Author: Justin Sane from San Francisco, California
24 January 2004

Not that I'm putting down comics nerds, being one myself. Mark Hamill's directorial debut, COMIC BOOK: THE MOVIE, is a great mockumentary about Don Swan (Hamill), a lifelong comics collector who gets hired as the on-set expert for the feature film version of a Captain America-like Golden Age hero called COMMANDER COURAGE (whew...) and his young sidekick LIBERTY LAD.

Of course, the studio would rather base it on the "updated" version called CODE NAME: COURAGE, in which our hero wears all black, carries automatic weapons and hangs out with a rather busty female sidekick, LIBERTY LASS (sexual tension abounds, of course).

This does not sit well with Don, who wants to see the original character the focus of the film, and thus he sets out to convince studio lackeys, the grandson of the creator (Billy West) and anyone else who will listen to drop the idea of the bullet-blasting Courage and to stick with the WWII-era version.

Filmed during the San Diego Comic Con, the film is jam-packed with comics vets (Stan Lee, Matt Groening), movie folk (Bruce Campbell, Kevin Smith, Ray Harryhausen, Ron Pearlman) and even an appearance by Hugh Hefner, a huge comics fan as well.

I laughed the entire time and was quite happy to see a cast comprised mostly of voice-over actors (who are just as hilarious in the DVD commentary). Good job, everyone, and I can't wait to see what Hamill's got cooked up next!

the ultimate movie for Comic Book geeks

Author: joeboudrie from phoenix az
23 January 2004

This film really captures the essence of what it's like to be in the convention\ comic book world. And not just San Diego, but all of the other cons around the country. The party scene was really great, I was laughing all the way through because the characters and discussions going on there were like so many of the after hours parties I've gone to over the years. Jim Cummings was fantastic- I can remember having discussions with 'that guy' at each of his phases, from pompous pontificating professor to barfing beat box.

But Mark and the rest of the creative team not only captured the spirit and essence of comic collectors and conventions, they also deliver a hilarious tale of the epic clash between the studios and the fans. There's so much more here than just a documentary about what comic book fans are like- there's a real story- and it's real good.

It was also highly enjoyable to see all the terrific voice actors step onto the screen. Jess Harnell was my favorite.

A big thank you to all the Creative team for taking the time and having the heart to do it right and see you all for Comic book: The Sequel!

DVD extras better than the movie

Author: klchu from California
4 September 2005

I give the movie itself 6 stars and the DVD extras 8 stars. This movie has its heart in the right place and does assemble some of the best voice talent around. It's great to see these people in front of the camera. I only wish that they had added some writers into the mix. This movie is mostly ad-libbed in the style of "Spinal Tap" and other Christopher Guest movies so some of the jokes work, and others don't. Since everyone is trying to be "realistic" almost all of the jokes are subtle so the inattentive viewer is likely to miss them.

I found that the DVD extras are the best part of this DVD. There are two disks, so there are a lot of extras. There are lots of helpful bios in case you missed some of the many cameos of industry insiders and other "masked" performers. The deleted scenes are actually pretty good (for deleted scenes). The best part is the real convention panel with all of the talent on stage telling stories and doing voices.

Bottom line, if you love comics and animation, and even video games, then see this movie just to learn about the talent. Use IMDb to see what some of these people have done and you will be amazed. If you aren't into comics then this movie might be interesting to you just to learn about a different culture.

At least they respect the fans

Author: Manda
18 March 2004

The movie was rather odd, but it did have its moments. It works better if one really knows comics, vintage collectibles, the movie industry, and the actors involved (especially the ones known for voiceovers for popular shows). For those heavily into science fiction and comics, it was fun to pick out the people making cameos, including the "Men Behind the Mask." Mark Hamill's approach showed respect and reverence for the fan base, as well as poking a healthy dose of fun at the movie industry. The DVD has a lot of extra information including some of the panels these talented actors chaired. The movie was made for the fans, but unlike some movies of this ilk, they showed respect instead of making it a geeks on parade feature.

Sincere, fun, with subtle jabs

Author: papercutprod from Toronto, Canada
18 February 2004

The hearts are in the right place and the fun is found in details and indirect references to the goings on in the comic book adaptation machine. Fans and non-fans might find fun in it, and I cheer Mark Hamill for initiating this. The one small caveat is that the viewer should be someone who is aware, for example, of Kevin Smith's screenplay for Superman Lives. If that kind of detail isn't as interesting for you to follow, or if you genuinely care more about "news reports" that followed every detail of the "Bennifer" situation a while back, then stick to the usual reality TV that is clogging the airwaves. This movie introduces us to a few people we might not recognize, but who are revealed in extra features to be great unseen celebrities and artists. I hope Hamill keeps directing, and perhaps tries something genre related and with a tripod. Good stuff. I'll show my DVD enthusiastically.

great mockumentary, Hamill is brilliant

Author: DOAsaturnPhil
28 January 2004

Wow, I must say this is one of the more satisfying purchases I have made for my DVD collection. I believe this is a straight-to-video production, because it really is to niche for theaters in the first place. But Hamill and Co. really make this "mockumentary" through the San Diego ComiCon quite a thrill.

Hamill is a believable History teacher, who is a huge fan of comics and especially the Commander Courage character (made up character for this show). Commander Courage is basically a take on Captain America. The story is, back in the 40s and 50s, Courage used to take on the Nazis or Communists, etc...He was a hero to all the children who read his books. Now he has been reborn, as Codename Courage, and fights terrorism. Hamill, as Don Swan, is hired by the people who are making the Codename Courage movie and is sent to document the announcement of the movie at the San Diego ComiCon. Swan uses this to promote the Golden Age Commander Courage and hopes to make the original character the basis for the movie.

There is a lot of very good acting for something so unscripted. I've seen more errors and gaffes in major motion pictures than in this one. I'm very impressed how seamless the picture was presented. You really start to root for Swan, he really shows his zest and enthusiasm for comics in a very believable way. In my opinion, the movie really seems to get going a little too late. By the time it's over you wish it could continue a little longer. The ending is a bit disappointing (SPOILER ALERT)I would have liked to see what becomes of the movie, if Codename Courage still gets made, or if Commander Courage gets the nod.

For any fans of comic books or even collectible hobbies in general, this is a fun movie. If you've ever been to a major collectible show, this is also a fun watch. The DVD also has extras that make the whole Don Swan and Commander Courage even more believable. Check this one out, it's worth it.

Charming.

Author: pjdigger from North Hollywood, CA
27 January 2004

I was fortunate enough to see an advance screening of Mark Hamill's 'Comic Book: The Movie.' The low budget mockumentary is good natured and features some nice performances (highlighted by Hamill's portrayal of the comic-fan made documentarian that the story revolves around.)

There are many cameos by comic celebs like Stan Lee, Bruce Campbell and Kevin Smith. It also provides a window into the strange annual event known as Comiccon where thousands gather to celebrate fandom. The core story invokes the frustration of fans who suffer when classic properties are bastardized by Hollywood and in this story the fans strike back.

The movie is a bit long and loses its way for a while about an hour in but overall it entertaining and charming. The film is a celebration of comic books and the people who love them. It lacks the razor wit that Christopher Guest's films possess (A Mighty Wind, Best in Show) but this one is more authentic and seems to be a labor of love.

This is a nice little film and I recommend it.

You get something.

Author: WrathChld from Sherwood Forest
7 February 2004

After I finished watching "Comic Book: The Movie", I would have to say it was enjoyable. With that said, this movie was nothing spectacular. I think people will enjoy it more for the people who collaborated on it, rather than the story itself. There are quit a few funny parts, but not laugh out loud funny ... more like amusing funny. I liked seeing allot of people who are in the comic book/ animation world. The fact that there are so many Icons in this movie makes it a good watch.

I especially like how it is a double disc DVD, so you get allot of extras to enjoy. There are people in the movie, you wouldn't even know are big stars because maybe they had a career along time ago or our voice actors. Speaking of voice actors, it seems this movie is busting with them. I love that. It's cool to see them. Then there is Jess Harnell who plays Ricky the Camera Guy. He is pretty funny. Good character and one of the many voice actors who partakes in this featured film.

As a Kevin Smith fan, I have to give him a shout out. It was cool to see him in this and a new sight to see him watch his tongue. Although he managed to still bring that edge, we have all come to love. Inclosing, if you are a comic book fan, I would recommend checking this out. If not for the movie, do it for the extras.

Not that it was bad, but...

Author: schadenfreude2 from Michigan, USA
9 August 2004

I was very excited to see this and sat patiently for two years while it spent months collecting dust on the Miramax shelves, finally being released direct-to-video. I'm in it--kinda. Since I was at the Comic-Con that year--I can see about a fourth of my face in one of the crowd shots--this added to the excitement. And I'm a comic fan, and a Mark Hamill fan and a fan of cartoon voices. So what could go wrong?

So I watched it, finally, and desperately wanted to like it. I mean, it was about comic fans! But...after the first five minutes or so the novelty wore off and I was stuck with a draggy, boring movie. The cast is game, but without much going on it gets a-mighty tedious. Still, it was nice to revisit a great con that I've not been to since two years after it happened.

For a much more entertaining evening, go to the second disk on the DVD package for "Behind the Voices," the hysterical symposium fans sat through to get themselves on film. They cut out most of it, (the guys doing the Animaniacs singing the Country song from memory, Billy West singing "Happy Happy Joy Joy) but it's still great. The movie: C+ The Other Stuff: B+