IMDb > Blast (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Blast

Blast More at IMDbPro »

Better than most direct-to-video fare

Author: Christopher Smith
9 August 2005

DIE HARD rip-offs are a staple of the direct-to-video market. There have been so many direct-to-video films that have followed the DIE HARD formula that one can not blame me for being less than excited about seeing BLAST. The cover art and the description on the DVD box made it seem like just about every other direct-to-video action flick that has come out in the past five years or so. However, unlike most direct-to-video action flicks, BLAST has a decent cast, a reasonably good screenwriter, and a fair share of laughs. That doesn't mean BLAST is necessarily a good movie. It isn't. In fact, if it were released theatrically, I would have been mad to pay the ticket price. Direct-to-video was the right choice for the film. It's better than most direct-to-video fare due to the charm of Eddie Griffin and his chemistry with Breckin Meyer. If it weren't for Griffin and Meyer, BLAST would truly be a waste of time. 5/10

Could have been worse.

Author: alexlovinlife from Portland, Oregon
29 May 2006

It could have been worse if it was longer.

I rented this movie based on the synopsis on the back. Here is the first line: "Former Navy Seal Lamont Dixon (Eddie Griffin) thought he left his fighting days behind when he became a tugboat captain... "

Okay I really rented the movie based on my vision of the pitch someone had to give to get this movie made.

My vision of the pitch:

"Okay.... Eddie Griffin.... okay... stay with me.... Eddie griffin is a retired Navy Seal.... okay.... stay with me.... now he's a tug boat captain!.... okay stay with me.... he fights terrorists from his tug boat! HAHAHAHA... but it's not funny... okay, okay, stay with me.... "

I had to see THAT movie.

Turns out Griffin is a firefighter!???!?! WHAAAA?? I thought he was a navy seal! I wanted Navy Seal action. He's a firefighter with PTSD?!?!? Not funny, bad acting, lame action. Don't get me wrong, I am usually okay with bad movies. But I need to see some kind of over the top, outrageous, action scenes. The Transporter 2 that was a bad movie worth seeing. I would even see that again. I wanna see a jet ski chase down a bus on the freeway in every bad action movie!

The only funny part of this movie is the explanation from Breckin Meyer about why his parents named him Jamal. I'm naming my kid Jamal.

All in all unless your a HUGE Eddie Griffin fan. NEVER SEE THIS MOVIE! EVER!

Fun Action Movie

Author: Comeuppance Reviews from United States Minor Outlying Islands
20 June 2005

I liked "Blast". You don't take an action film seriously with Eddie Griffin and Vinnie Jones. The plot is about Lamont Dixon (Griffin) who is an ex-fireman\tugboat captain. He is working on an oil rig at Christmas time when terrorists led by Michael Kittredge (Jones)hijack the crew. Kittredge has a electronic device that can destroy California. Now it's up to Dixon to save the day. Eddie Griffin was a pretty good action hero. Vivica A.Fox goes through the motions as the head FBI agent. Vinnie Jones plays the evil villain role well. No one should care that "Blast" is going direct-to-video. If you want an exciting and funny action\comedy, this is it.

For more insanity, please visit: comeuppancereviews.com

Tug boat captain to the rescue

Author: Lost in Film UK from United Kingdom
16 February 2013

Story/Plot - A bank has been robbed by Michael Kittredge (Vinnie Jones) and now he and his team have turned terrorist and hijacked an oil rig of the coast of California. On this rig they have set up an electro magnetic pulse with the intent to use it in order to cover up their crime and be free from prosecution.

However, they did not count on tug boat captain Lamont Dixon (Eddie Griffin) surviving a brutal attack on his vessel. Dixon joins forces with an undercover FBI agent and enters a fast paced race against time to make sure that this emp does not get set off.

My verdict - A very fast paced hands on film. Full of hand to hand and gun combat, along with a few explosions. This is a definite must watch film. Great actors, actresses and camera work has ensured this film is worth a watch.

It feels like a recycling of all die hard movies combined with some segal flicks

Author: Gert (gert@gertschepens.be) from Belgium
26 February 2006

It feels like a recycling of all "die hard" movies combined with some segal flicks! of course they cant get away with that so they put in a kid.. This way they could add a family drama type background and an angsty fireman. All they needed more was a hint of sex.. Which they clumsily poured in at the end! The movie runs like a train! Which is undeniably good, the problem is the background. You shouldn't think too much, actually I advise against thinking at all. You need to accept a lot of facts. One of the harder ones is a fireman who in the end turns out to be a near superman! I also have to admit.. the whole plot really doesn't get me worried about who wins! I really didn't care enough! Or any of my friends.

Its a nice no brainer, but don't spoil too much money on it!

This is better than "On deadly ground"!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: MaDsKiLz69 from United Kingdom
4 February 2006

I thought i was going to be watching a comedy when i saw this, BUT...... OH NO! This is one serious hardcore movie. A tour de force. Stretching all my emotional muscles.

Its easy to cast this film off as another under siege or,if you like, passenger 58 (i missed the first 56 films) I laughed - I cried (mainly from laughing so hard) In the end a B+ Eddie griffin is cool.

ALSO That scene where he thinks back - classic - you just have to watch it.

Quite high budget as well.

Vinnie jones is quite funny.

Another Under Siege

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
10 February 2008

Recap: Lamont Dixon is a former fire fighter that saw his best friend being killed in a fire and then switched job. Now he works as a tugboat captain and also is the custodian of Eric, his killed friends son. Now he has a job to tug an unpopular oilrig out to an oilfield off Californias coast. But things take a turn for the worst when environmentalist protesters turn out to be terrorists intent to take the rig with force.

Comments: If you have seen Under Siege with Steven Seagal you have seen this one. You need to switch the battleship with an oilrig and then it almost seems like an identical copy. However, you got to give the movie some credit as it actually recognizes this itself and makes some jokes and references about it.

Otherwise it is an average action movie. You get your fill of fighting, gunfights and explosions as well as some quick dialog delivering one-liners and jokes however how bad the situation. You don't need to think too much about it, indeed you only need to be conscious to see this one. That makes it perfect to see it an early Sunday morning, half asleep in your couch/bed as I did.

Worst miscasting, though surprisingly enjoyable

Author: veo from Romania
16 December 2012

It's like a pretty well written action movie, but ruined by miscasting and baaad music. I watched it to the end and I wasn't bored a bit; the writing and production value are the best you could have if you're not Renny Harlin & Shane Black. It has helicopters being smashed with rams, pretty good plot twists etc. The bad guys are stereotypes based on Die Hard etc., but Vinnie Jones is always believable as a tough guy. But come on, Eddie Griffin in a role written for Bruce Willis or Jason Statham?! I like Griffin, he is funny as hell, but as a macho fighter... no, I don't buy it. Breckin Meyer, same thing. Good, good actor, but he laughed too much here. I understand he was supposed to be the comic relief - but wait, wasn't Eddie Griffin the comic relief?! See what I mean? Confusing miscasting. But all in all, beyond the casting and the absurd music, it was surprisingly enjoyable. A decent effort the kind that Steven Seagal never managed to pull.

It entertains!

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
15 May 2010

Compared to direct to video-DVD movies made nowadays "Blast" is pretty good. It doesn't pretend to be original. But it does deliver on action and humor. Eddie Griffin maybe not entirely convincing as a serious action hero,he is still better than Steven Seagal on a good day. As a matter of fact this movie is far superior to the stuff that Steven Seagal has made in the last years. So why are people so harsh when reviewing this movie. To be fair there are scenes that remind you that this is a C movie and that the acting is barely passable. Still there are quite few funny interactions between Eddie Griffin and Breckin Meyer that make it worth viewing. You should not see this movie as a serious action movie. It's more of a parody with some serious elements in it. It entertains!

Action at its best

Author: aledh-644-505424 from United Kingdom
31 January 2010

An interesting action film about a group of bank robber come terrorists who Hijack an oil rig from which they wish to fire an electro magnetic pulse over California to wipe out any traces of their robbery. Unfortunately for them, the tug boat captain, an ex marine happens to be around to help save the day with help from an undercover FBI agent.

Watch as the face paced action with gun fights and even hand to hand combat. There are explosions and the screen play is spot on. I recommend this to anyone.

Vinnie Jones does an excellent job in the bad boy role of terrorist group leader. Eddie Griffin as the tug boat captain is as perfect as you can be. You even get to see Shaggy in this film.

My rating 10/10