IMDb > "Punk'd" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Punk'd"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Punk'd" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Awesome show, makes you laugh and enjoy TV.

Author: tahneen23_4 from Canada
16 August 2005

Ashton Kutcher is a genius.The show is amazing and you enjoy it when you watch it. If you can punk celebrates and get away with it, you know it's going to be funny because watching your favorite celebrates make fools of themselves is entertaining. hey they are real people, who would know?!?! hey, who doesn't like to see Justin Timberlake ball his eyes out on national TV and have no idea what is going on? It's funny,it makes us see that they are real people and it makes you laugh. It's en-lighting from all of the other reality TV shows, (let's face it we can get sick and tired of watching American Idol) and it brings a whole new meaning to the word, i just got punk'd. So all you haters out there you need to lighten up, and enjoy good TV. So Ashton keep doing what you're doing.

Interesting if you are bored

Author: rochelle-rochelle from United States
23 March 2006

Bravo to Ashton Kutcnher for making "punk'd" a household name now and adding a semi-celeb version of Candid Camera. However, Punk'd is fun to watch when you are home bored and want something interesting to watch. It's not for people who want to be shocked and amazed and on the edge of your seat type action. It's predictable and not as edgy as it's protégé Candid Camera, but entertaining none-the-less. I think it would be better if some A-list celebs were punk'd like Brad Pitt, Robert DeNiro, Meryl Streep, Jodie Foster, etc. Until then, it'll just be another MTV show that people watch when bored. It's mainly B-list celebs that are punk'd on here.

love it

Author: colinwhitefan
4 August 2003

Punk'd was awesome, I loved seeing Justin Timberlake cry like a little girl and Tom Arnold get mad as hell, Ashton Kutcher is the perfect punk. I am afraid this show is getting a little too well known and it will be even harder to punk people in the future so enjoy this while it lasts, it is great.

Kutcher has put together a "Candid Camera" for a new star-worshiping generation, but the free-standing improv bits are funnier than the pranks

Author: liquidcelluloid-1 from www.liquidcelluloid.blog.com
4 June 2006

Network: MTV; Genre: Reality, Comedy; Content Rating: TV-14 (for language); Available on Uncensored DVD and MTV2; Perspective: Classic (star range: 1 - 5);

Seasons Reviewed: 2+ seasons

Ashton Kutcher has parlayed his looks, teenage girl appeal and "That 70s Show" capital into his own MTV series. Given the opportunity, what he put together is a "Candid Camera" for a new, star worshiping generation. This is "Punk'd" and it has become not just an amusing practical joke show, but part of our language and popular culture.

I never got the appeal of Alan Funt's "Candid Camera" and the idea of watching everyday people get upset and angry over contrived situations, but not really doing anything funny or scandalous.. The "Punk'd" twist gives the jokes a purpose. Kutcher appears in rapidly cut black-and-white introductory monologues and conveys himself as nothing more than a good old farm boy screaming at us about how things are "where he comes from" as opposed to the pampered celebrity world he is immersed in now in L.A. "Punk'd" gives us the opportunity to see rich and famous Hollywood types get a squirming that they so richly deserve (often involving their cars). Well, some of them, like Fankie Muniz, Shaquille O'Neil, and Kelly Osbourne deserve to get knocked down to size, while others like my poor dears Eliza Dushku and Rachael Lee Cook, do not so much. Mandy Moore on Crib Crasher is a classic, as is an epic bit involving Beyonce Knowles and a Christmas tree.

Some of the pranks can be repetitive and uninspired. When the time comes for Kutcher to drop the hammer and let the victim know they've been punk'd, what you'd think would be the big punchline reaction we're all waiting for, it is over before it began. So really, for me, "Punk'd" works best as an improv comedy with a clueless celebrity caught in the middle of an elaborate free-standing piece of theatrics.

And the more elaborate and nonsensical they are the better. Seth Green being punk'd with a raid on an illegal craps game isn't as funny as the detail that Kutcher's phony FBI agent does a Hollywood barrel roll as he crashes through the window. It isn't that Hilary Duff gets punk'd with a driver's ed lesson from hell that is as funny as the detail that her teacher attacks another driver with a bat and a smoothie. It isn't that Kutcher makes Tommy Lee think he's hit a women, but that he piles it on even higher with a bus of Asian tourists pulling up to watch the spectacle. The show is also available on an unrated (read R-rated) DVD, which may be your only chance to hear Hilary Duff say the F-word, at least for a while.

Kutcher is having an unending blast here. He boasts that he can't be punk'd and that he can punk anybody, but it is never quite clear when the punking begins and ends because often the celebrity will look completely unfazed and occasionally will figure it out, but Kutcher still claims victory. But it is still smarter than you'd expect from MTV. At the end of the 2nd season Kutcher hangs up his hat in another effort to stay one step ahead of the smart-alec celebrities and delivering the ultimate punk - this time on the audience.

The show continues for at least 6 more seasons. As it does "Punk'd" evolves. Kutcher is just too nice a guy and becomes too immersed in the Hollywood crowd himself to keep the show without mercy. Very soon it becomes hip to be punk'd by Kutcher. We see it being treated like a right of passage when Kutcher comes out after the prank and gives the young starlet a big hug to let them know that they have arrived. It becomes a sickening Hollywood love-fest of celebrities "passing the punk" on each other. It also becomes repetitive, there are so many L.A. themed-pranks Kutcher can think of.

Kutcher keeps his cast oscillating so that any celebrity watching won't be able to spot them. All are on the same page, including B.J. Novak and Kaitlin Olsen, and pile on the conversation as serious as it should be. "Punk'd" is a mixed bag of work, splitting down the middle between the dull bits and the truly funny ones. Whether it is still a show for and by Hollywood outsiders is very debatable. But as a reality show, a practical joke show and an MTV show it is better than you'd expect.

* * * / 5

Great show

Author: jesus_freak_03 from U.S.
18 October 2003

Whoever said that this show is cruel by putting people down is wrong, because its only teasing...what do celebrities care...they're getting on TV more! It's a funny show, and everyone should watch it...its awesome!

Punk'd

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
21 July 2006

In Britain, we have Beadle's About and Ant & Dec Undercover, in America, they have this very good programme with the same type of concept, only a bit bigger and braver. Ashton Kutcher and a gang of jokers basically choose a well-known person, celebrity, at random (I guess), find where they are going, and try to fool them into making themselves look an idiot or really cross. The celebrities they have managed to fool, aka get Punk'd, include Christina Aguilera, Pamela Anderson, Pierce Brosnan, Ray Liotta, Denise Richards, Justin Timberlake, Tom Arnold, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Brittany Murphy, Kelly Osbourne, Sharon Osbourne, Seth Green, Jessica Simpson, Jack Osbourne, Pink, Britney Spears, Missy Elliott, Tommy Lee, Katie Holmes, Ashanti, Halle Berry, Penélope Cruz, Robert Downey Jr., Rose McGowan, Jaime Pressly, Alicia Silverstone, Beyoncé Knowles, Matthew Perry, Chris Klein, The Rock, Carmen Electra, Tara Reid, Shannon Elizabeth, Kanye West, Salma Hayek, Kirsten Dunst, Joss Stone, Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson, Tony Hawk, Thora Birch, Akon, Adrien Brody, Mischa Barton, Bam Margera, Neve Campbell, Serena and Venus Williams, Kate Beckinsale, Elijah Wood, Hugh Jackman, Brett Ratner, Rihanna and many more. Sometimes you wonder how they got away with doing some of the stunts, as some are bigger than others, but it is hilarious when they do. As far as I know, it was on The 100 Greatest Funny Moments. Very good!

Great funny show!

Author: ShiaLaBeoufLover from Oklahoma
7 May 2004

"Punk'd" is a show hosted by Ashton Kutcher, kind of like "Candid Camera" except the celebrities are the victims. This show is hilarious and smart. Ashton Kutcher is the sexiest man alive and is the smartest, for punking anyway. I love this show. It's funny. I don't know why some people think it's stupid. I mean, sure a few stupid episodes from time to time. But hey! It's still cool. It's one of my favorite shows on MTV, other then "Viva La Bam" and "Pimp My Ride", this show's awesome. It's a good thing that he really didn't cancel it cause it was too early to end "Punk'd". He really got us there. Ha! I definately recommend this show. It usually airs on Sunday. Watch it!

I LOVE PUNK'D (and not just cause Ashton's hot!)

Author: crazeechickadee from United States
20 April 2004

Okay, i've seen this show SO MANY TIMES it's not even funny. And i love every one of the episodes that i've seen. Punk'd is not about torturing people or watching people get tortured or anything like that...it's just funny stuff! even the celebs have a good laugh once the punk is over with... and so should the audience. I KNOW I DO! I think that anybody who's anybody should watch this show...i love it!! And Ashton Kutcher and his cast play the most original pranks...i think it's awesome how they decide to use their creativity. I think that the show is the BOMB (along with so many other shows on MTV like punk'd, such as boiling points! that's another good'n)

1 Of The Best Shows Ever!

Author: iadali
16 January 2006

I believe that punk'd is a really good show, and that Ashton Kutcher has awesome ideas. The show itself isn't funny, but seeing the celebrities reaction to the pranks is classic. I mean, come on, is it not funny to see Justin Timberlake or Avril Lavign or any one of the rest of the celebrities be tortured? I doubt celebrities like the show, but it is a good show for the regular people who watch it & like it. If I had to rate this,I would rate it five stars. You get to see what happens to celebrities when they get annoyed, and boy do they get annoyed! Someone who wrote about Punk'd said that it's illegal to do what they do. No matter what people say, I like Ashton and I like the show.

Punk'd

Author: butterfly904 from Brooklyn
2 May 2003

This show in my opinion, is very funny. However, I think that they should create more episodes because for the last month I have been watching the same thing over and over again. I guess, this is the only thing that needs to be improved. Besides that its a great show.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]