IMDb > "Father of the Pride" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Father of the Pride"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Father of the Pride" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

NBC = Nothing But Crap

Author: thulium-1 from United States
1 February 2005

Let me see if i got this straight... Father Of The Pride Airs, but then a month later, it gets canned so that "The Biggest Loser" can air for 90 mins. Then after more than a month, Father Of The Pride" gets put back on. & in 2 weeks, airs the last 5 episodes, only to cancel the show due to low ratings, leaving 2 episodes un-aired... Who was the fool at NBC who is responsible for this? How can you remove a series to air another series, then cancel series due to low ratings? Were you trying to use Father of The Pride to sell The Biggest Loser? Whats the real story for a 90 min series about fat people losing weight? who ever heard of a 90min series? But then again, what can you expect. This is NBC, the same network who canned Baywatch. One of the most popular shows on the planet. I guess this is what happens when Network Exces hire relatives. One last note to Dreamworks: Don't give up on the show! Market it to other networks, don't let the fools at NBC Kill FOTP! a show should run at least 1 full season before being canned. & NBC didn't even give you that. please reconsider!

Great show

Author: Pat Gear (pgear83) from Newfoundland
14 June 2005

Father of the Pride was the best new show to hit television since Family Guy. It was yet another masterpiece from the talented people at Dreamworks Animation. Like The Simpsons, the show centers around a nuclear family (of white lions, in this case). It also contains many memorable supporting characters including Roger the surly orangutan, Vincent the Italian-American flamingo, the eccentric white tigers Blake and Victoria, the faux patriotic Snout Brothers and Chutney the elephant. The other stars of the show are the Sigfreid and Roy. They are incredibly eccentric and do everything in a grandiose manner, making the most mundane activities entertaining. The combination of cute animal characters with very adult dialog and controversial issues (drugs, prejudice, etc) is the source of the program's brilliance.

The blame for this show's failure lies with NBC. They opted to broadcast the episodes in no particular order (perhaps being influenced by which guest stars they could promote) rather than the more logical production order. Several times, the show was preempted for an extra half-hour of such dreck as The Biggest Loser (as if 60 minutes of that was not enough)! It is indeed an ill omen for the future of television as art if an original and daring show like this fails while Fear Factor and American Idol dominate.

Luckily, the complete series was released on DVD and the show now has an opportunity to gain a larger following. 10/10

Nice

Author: Wassup2 from United States
1 September 2004

From what I've seen this is a good show. I was dying of laughter at what was happening. John Goodman once again proves that he is great at comedy. Cheryl Hines as his wife has a great personality that works well with Goodman's which will help the show. Carl Reiner as the father-in-law definitely stands out with his wisdom and sarcastic wit. I know this episode was before Roy Horn's unfortunate accident, but I think that they might enjoy this show. I know that the critics have been giving this show a hard time, but who cares about what they think. Can't wait for the episode that is coming up that features Eddie Murphy guest starring as Donkey.

Made TV worth watching for at least a little while...

Author: stripeymaney from Ontario, Canada
14 June 2005

I had watched as much of the series as I could manage to watch on television, but unfortunately, started a job that got me working evenings. I managed to catch some recordings of it, at least... and, of course, purchased the recently released DVD of the complete series. Watching the DVD, you can see that the animation was a bit more crude at first, but they ironed out a fair number of the flaws after the pilot was done. The voices are well suited to the characters, and the writing is excellent. It's rather refreshing to see animation getting back to it's roots by reintroducing adult themes. Thing is, with the way society has come in the last century, you need to be a bit more blatant about it by today's standards in order to be recognised as an adult-oriented show. The characters have very realistic personalities and are placed in situations that parallel what we often face in real life. It's your typical sitcom in that regard, but the humor is more like what you'd expect from late night television like a talk show skit or Saturday Night Live... back when SNL was actually funny. Good job, Dreamworks. Perhaps you need to work with one of the more liberal networks to keep this series going... and also improve the marketing of merchandise for the series to help defray it's high costs. It's a challenge to do this for a cartoon of a mature nature though. Hmm...

i like it

Author: romano-5 (romano-5) from los angeles
17 October 2004

I just started watching this show, and I think it's pretty funny. The animation is nothing to get excited about, but it's satisfactory. Personally, I think the writing is snappy, a bit edgy, amusingly crude at times, and absurd. If you're looking for family entertainment you're going to be disappointed, but if you're looking for slightly more adult oriented satire, I think FATHER OF THE PRIDE is good stuff. My favorite parts generally involve Siegfried and Roy, their extremely pampered outlook on the world, and the ridiculous situations they get themselves in. My feeling is that DreamWorks animation, in general, writes more for a grown animation audience and in that, it risks alienating those who still believe animation is only for kids. Seeing Sieg and Roy mock Dick "The Chainsaw" Cheney and "douchy" Al Gore, watching them speed off on their Segways, or turn a Big Gulp dispenser into a Las Vegas extravaganza is funny stuff. If you're 16 or older and like your humor sarcastic, give FATHER OF THE PRIDE a chance. It's got some really good moments.

Loved It!

Author: jerisummers from Nevada, USA
6 September 2004

I thought it was funny and will be waiting for the next episode! Sure it has some adult humor and sarcasm, but it's an adult oriented animated show! I love it that S & R are willing to allow the writers to poke a little fun at them and give them kudos for being good sports! Shrek had similar humor (doesn't anyone remember Donkey's dream?) and I'm sure the uptight right was offended by that too. Bottom line, don't like it, change the channel, but don't try to get it canceled and ruin it for those of us who do like it and can appreciate tongue-in-cheek humor and fantastic animation! Please keep making this series! I loved it! I can't wait to see what new characters are introduced next! By the way, there really is an elephant with a bird living in his enclosure in S & R's Secret Garden animal sanctuary!

Hilarious!

Author: (kim@paintedkeyboard.com) from United States
28 December 2004

I absolutely love FOP! Any show that can make me laugh for 30 minutes is priceless. I do watch it with the closed captioning so I can catch all the little jokes. Siegfried and Roy can be hard to understand. But, when you can understand them they are hilarious!

I don't know anybody who could watch the scene with Kate and Larry high on catnip and not laugh uncontrollably. Or the episode when Hunter went berserk after discovering his inner warrior, hanging poor little Snack from the back of his door.

The first episode was a bit of a snooze, which may be why it is doing poorly in the ratings. I highly recommend everyone give it another chance.

One of my favorite shows of 2004!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
5 January 2005

Father of the Pride was one of the most funniest shows of 2004! This show was made by DreamWorks Animation and the same people who did Shrek! This CGI-animated series is about a The show stars Larry (voiced by John Goodman), a hard-working white lion in the revue with his wife Kate (voiced by Cheryl Hines), a white lioness. Sarmoti (voiced by Carl Reiner), another white lion who is Kate's father - and Larry's father-in-law - clashes with Larry on every subject imaginable. Rounding out the group is Snack (voiced by Orlando Jones, the guy from the old 7-UP ads), a mischievous gopher and Larry's best friend. I first heard about this show when I was reading The Kansas City Star newspaper (this article was back in late 2003 or early 2004) and I saw this article about this series and that it was coming to NBC, Fall 2004. When the show debuted in late August 2004, it got off to a good start with strong ratings. The ratings continued to show good promise for the show through early September 2004, until the ratings started to rapidly decline. The show faced more trouble when it was pulled from November 2004 sweeps, undoubtedly signaling the end was near. In early December 2004, Jeffrey Katzenberg, DreamWorks Animation CEO and show creator, announced that the show was canceled. A few of the remaining episodes were burned off in late December 2004. This show also had special voice acting appearances by Eddie Murphy, Danny DeVito, Christina Applegate, Lisa Kudrow, Andy Richter, Wendie Malick, David Spade, Jennifer Coolidge, Tress MacNeille, John DiMaggio and Greg Cipes. But sadly NBC canceled! But who knows? It might get picked up my the FOX Network since that network is better at holding on to adult animated shows.

User Rating: 10/10

BOTTOM LINE: BRILLIANT!

Hilarious, but not for kiddies. I still like it though ^.^

Author: BlazeFox from Seattle, Wa
13 November 2004

Father of The Pride is the creation of Dreamworks, the same people behind Shrek. But FoTP is no children's show. Its an edgey, irreverent animated comedy meant for an audience mature enough to understand it, this is why its on at a late spot. Even though there are only a handful of episodes I put this up there with the likes of The Simpsons, Dinosaurs (jim henson creation w/ a Homer-ish T-rex, his family live in the great continent "Pangea"), Family Guy and other such satires. This show speaks to many audiences; ravers, music/movie buffs, furries and just about anyone seeking a good chuckle.

My two favorite episodes are "Nip Heads," where Larry and his wife Kate find "nip" (their version of weed) in their daughter Sierra's room. They ground her, she sneaks away, they think she went to a rave so they go and she's not even there. Larry and Kate eat a nip necklace they picked up at the rave not knowing what it was. They get blitz'd and make complete arses of themselves while Sierra is trying to have an interview with a teacher from the school for the gifted.

Kate: Your father and I were very furried about you. *giggles* Hey Larry, check it out, I just said furried.

Larry: Heh, furried... That's awesome... umm, who are you? *makes cross-eyed face*

(a definite nod to those of us in the fur fandom, who incidentally, make up the most of the fanbase for this show and other anthro-animal related programs =P)

The nip turns out to be the grandfather's and of course Sierra feels alienated by her parents not trusting her in the first place when she told them it wasn't her's.

The second one that I really enjoyed was the episode where Hunter locked himself in the bathroom and is being ansgty (depressed), Sierra runs to the living room to tell her parents "Maaaaawwwwm! Hunter's listening to Tori Amos in the bathtub again **cut to Hunter singing along to "Silent All These Years"** The Grandfather then responds "Are we still pretending he's not gay?" The Grand-pappy lion then takes it upon himself to straighten the kid up, so he takes him out to the forest with his "tribe" to hunt elk. (kinda like the Simpsons eppie where Homer tries to make Bart shoot a dear to prove he's not homosexual)

I thought that was cute, I am male Tori fan, and yes. I am gay =P Trent Reznor and Tori should hook up.

There is also another ep in which the Shrek Donkey (who is a big celebrity to them) comes to town to shoot a commercial. Larry thinks that if he can get the celeb to come to Hunter's show and tell it will impress him. He accidentally kidnaps Donkey's very gay sounding stunt-double. VERY VERY FUNNY!!!!

Don't watch this show unless you've got a TOLERANT sense of humor. Otherwise you will just end up hating it like all the other "liberal" television shows people like to bash, like Will & Grace and Queer as Folk. And for those who say Dreamworks shouldn't have made an adult humored show fearing they will mistake it for "wholesome" Shrek, FoTP was on at a time most of you put your kids to bed. And even still there is the V-Chip, try looking at the little rating in the corner of your TV, OKAY???

-Kitsune =^.^=

It's Better than People Tell Me

Author: Alex Scales (alex_scales5@hotmail.com) from Ohio
13 October 2004

So, I'll be as honest as a taxi driver. I never saw the first two episodes of this show, and I have no idea what they where about. But darn it, I've seen every episode from 3 till 6, so I'll pretend I know all about the series!

Let's face it, sure, it's not the funniest show on earth. But I hear nothing but negative reviews about the show, and I'm still completely baffeled as to why that is. I mean, one review I saw was written before the writer even saw the show! How in the world can you hate a show before you even see it? Impossible! (Unless it's MTV, of course) I especially have no idea why NBC green-lit this show, my guess being their executives thought "Darn that cartoon network and their ratings! We need an adult oriented cartoon! .... And someone get me a new reality series." But instead they got Father of the Pride, which I'm thankful for since to be honest, it isn't at all that bad! ..oh, and I can't stand reality shows.

But, come ON. The show has plenty of funny moments, and to me feels like The

Simpsons meet Dinosaurs! I mean, come on, I've never watched NBC before, and now I have a reason to. I'm not saying the series is gold, but heck, the movie has all sorts of hilarious references, and the episode where Larry and Kate do Catnip was fine! Even if the show isn't to your liking, you have to respect the awesome animation. Done by Dreamworks (Hey, I bet you didn't know that!), the animation is top-notch and to my understanding where very expensive (1.9 million per episode?), so you really can't say it's a waste of time. So, give the show a chance. If you don't like it, fine, but there's a hundred worse shows that need to go first. Like Veronica Mars!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]