IMDb > Wimbledon (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wimbledon More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Better than most

Author: pacs34 from Washington, D.C., USA
28 May 2005

Lessee. The script is good. The characters are likable (all of 'em). The idea of #119 winning Wimbledon is a bit far fetched, but unseeded players have done well before. And the actual tennis shots are surprisingly believable. (Well, most of 'em are, anyway.)

American phenom/hothead Lizzie Bradbury (Kirsten Dunst) is coached by her dad (Sam Neill) and playing in her first Wimbledon. She has much to teach fading English star Peter Colt (Paul Bettany) on and off the tennis court. The cast, including a rich group of supporting actors playing characters you care about, is first rate.

Whether this is viewed as a sports flick or a romantic comedy, it's better than most. Three cheers. (And 7.5 stars.)

Nice comedy and romance

Author: ive from Serbia
16 May 2005

I went to movie theater without great expectations for this film. It exceeded my expectations. It seems that winning formula for good(great)romantic comedy is the one from Notting Hill: British environment, British leading and support actors and an American (girl called Anna;just joking) lead actress. This combinations always has a charm which is most important for the atmosphere of the movie. Paul Bettany as a leading actor drives the movie. His charm is irresistible; it's very cogent that any American girl would fall for him. Kirsten Dunst is on the other hand charming too; she poses some sweetness which even when she is speaking bad words allow you to think she doesn't mean it. Of course, this is probably merit of character she is playing in film, so what I meant to say is that she knows her acting. Other supporting actors are helping this drama rolling on. Bernard Hill (king Theoden;LOR)and Eleanor Bron as Paul's(Peter's) mother and father are in moments very funny; as is his brother (James McAvoy who looks like a younger brother of Russel Crowe) brings funny stuff too. Visually movie is very HiTech. Because of this, it was possible to make a lot of exciting tennis points with a little actors effort. Seems that they were playing in front of green screen most of their tennis scenes;cause some of the plays are worthy of best tennis plays in history of tennis. Even so you don't see this cause CG effects are so good but you only think if Paul or Kirsten are so well playing. Assuredly CG doesn't compromises story telling; it's in service of it. At the end I didn't tell anything about Sam Neill performance. I will agree with that he, "a brilliant and completely lovable actor, is totally wasted in this role". Despite that the film doesn't lose anything on this fact. So to conclude take your sweet heart or some friends a go and enjoy in movie. As some American newspapers would say - thumbs up!

Excellent... though may not be for everyone...

Author: cfcruz ( from Puerto Rico
6 January 2005

I went to see this movie with low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised by it.

If you're not a tennis fan, it may be a little confusing sometimes, because the movies tries to compress all the sport technicalities in very little time. Thus, so many reviews criticizing the format of the Wimbledon tournament, or whether a Brit can go all the way and be successful at Wimbledon. If you're looking for precise tennis, go watch the Tennis Channel, this is a movie.

Now, because it is a movie, I don't think that Wimbledon is the movie's goal. It is just the setting. I believe that the movie's theme is the human spirit, its tribulations and what it is able to accomplish.

We can all be identified in Peter Colt's self-doubts and fears. We can sympathize with his "failures", and how he is enriched by other souls' perspectives on his life: his parents, his best friend, his brother, the brits in general, and of course, Lizzie Bradbury's.

I find the performances superb, a LOT better that I expected. Actors seems very believable as pro tennis players. Bettany actually moves like a pro, and Dunst is very convincing too. I loved how the movie gets into Peter Colt's mind during playtime, how they incorporated real life information with the movie's fiction, and how it adapted the "matrix-like" slow motion, making the match play exciting.

If you are into romantic comedies, then this one is for you too.

Go watch it with an open mind.

interestingly, i enjoyed it

Author: jfrankalmighty from Ohio
16 November 2004

for the record, i never tend to go see movies of this nature, but since Kirsten Dunst is in it, i had to check it out. the main reason why i enjoyed it was pretty much Kirsten. her acting is quite alluring to me. paul bettany did a good too though.

the movie itself though....lacked substance. i can't be too harsh on this film though because i know that it wasn't meant to be an "Oscar Winner". in fact, Paul Bettany said that this was simply a Friday night with friends romantic movie. looking at the movie that way, it was good. but i also happen to be a moderate tennis fan, and the action was pretty cool.

there was very good chemistry between Paul and Kirsten, and the whole romantic aspect was mysterious regarding how the relationship formed so quickly. truth is though, it ain't that funny. sure maybe there's a part in there that makes you half smile, but that's about it. In terms of tennis playing, there were some damn cool tennis sequences. some of the best i would say. but that doesn't really make up for the somewhat empty story-line. all in all, this film ain't too bad. the people that watch it oughta be tennis fans or Kirsten fans (!). other than that, everyone else is just going to be watching another shallow romance flick.

actually, not quite bad!

Author: Karen Visser from Amsterdam, Netherlands
3 November 2004

Despite some clumsy tennis action shots at the beginning, the match scenes are actually quite good! Paul Bettany is charming, very believable. Kirsten Dunst (who is definitely not my favorite actress) is casted well as a fanatic tennis player who wants nothing but win. But the fact that she falls (so rapidly) for this losing player is strange... just as strange as seeing the professional tennis players drink beers, stay up late, eat very greasy food etc.

Characters around the main persons are rather flat; Lizzy Bradbury's father changes his mind a bit too quickly, and the heroes' parents fall in love again like a shift of the wind.

The humor is a bit too American, shame. A more British touch to it would match the subject better.

And still, the whole thing was quite entertaining!

Rainy Sundayafternoon movie

Author: absier from Amsterdam
20 October 2004

Perhaps no masterpiece, but a very funny movie and these days worth gold in a world of junkmovies. I had a very good time watching the movie. A brilliant performance of Paul Bettany, who's star is rising in movieworld and of which you can see that the British school in movie actors is more mature than the Hollywood school. Kirsten Dunst gives an average but also defendable performance in the movie, in which she actually smile a lot and, however less real than Paul is comparison with our vision of Wimbledon, stands. A more real vision of the tennisworld would take a women tennisstar of 17 years old, what wasn't a movie like the movie we have now. So well done. All over a brilliant product in the line of British quality humor.

Great feel good movie

Author: heyitsad from Chincoteague Island, VA
6 October 2004

In today's cinema fare it seems many people are interested only in movies that have a lot of CGI effects, plenty of sex, or lots of explosions and violence. In an age where this country has seen the likes of 9/11 and where death appears everywhere from the TV to the newspaper to magazines, this movie arises out of the ashes to bring some hope, happiness, and smiles to one's face while watching it.

Sure, this movie is a formula movie that came from Hollywood, much of it being predictable, but seeing that sequels and re-makes are dominating Hollywood these days, this movie provided what I was seeking, a good heart-felt movie.

Kirsten Dunce and Paul Bettany had some excellent cinematic moments during this movie and I thought some of the camera angles were really fascinating to watch as it followed the ball on the court. While I'm not a huge tennis fan, I do pick up the racquet every now and then but having said that, I didn't find it necessary to love the game to watch and enjoy this movie.

If you want to smile, feel good about life, and possibly yourself, check out this movie. I give it 3 out of 4 stars and will be adding it to my collection of must-buy DVD's when it's released in the future.

Not great, but definitely not bad!

Author: Steph1985 from Melbourne, Australia
5 October 2004

*spoilers* alert

I felt that the film was a step up from your typical airy fairy, not funny, Julia, Sandra or Meg romantic comedy. However, having said that, it still wasn't the best movie i've ever seen. There were the funny moments, and the token dickhead character (Bettany's brother) kept the light laughs flowing. Of course, love prevails at the end. Dunst's overprotective father, Neil, eventually warms to the man he's so sternly told to stay away from his daughter. Funny though, how after she's been knocked out of the competition that he finally pushes her to go for him (oh, and he professes his love for her on national television). Bettany's washed out tennis star character uses love as his inspiration against young pro game heavy weights to beat all odds and win the grand slam. I really enjoyed Bettany's portrayal of the washed out Peter Colt. However, i usually love Dunst's performances, but there was something that she brought to the character that didn't sit right. A certain hardness i suppose, that was unnecessary and an overly forced American accent. I particularly liked the visual effects on Colt when he was playing. I thought they were quite effective and creative, getting us inside his thoughts and emotions. All in all, i thought the film really wasn't bad, and i think i would quite happily watch it again.

3.5 stars out of 5.

And they all lived happily ever after...

Author: bytheseaside from Auckland, New Zealand
2 October 2004

This movie never pretended to be anything other than it was: a sweet love story. That's all it was.

The tennis was just a convenient background for for the romance. To take it as anything else would be asking too much of the film. Nothing here was meant to be mentally taxing, and it shows. The best thing therefore would be to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. Heaven knows I did.

Paul Bettany was worth it, just to look at him, but the humour was good too. He had a couple of really funny lines and he carried them well, providing probably one of the better performances in the film.

Don't go in expecting anything other than a cute story, with a touch of humour, and you'll have a good time.

Author: Richard Pullen ( from Plymouth
26 September 2004

This film isn't really about tennis or should I say involving tennis the way tennis fans should want it to!

Which the same old boy meets girl and lessons are learned tale that we've seen time and time again.

But saying that "Wimbledon" is harmless and more for the ladies me thinks! Paul Bettany is a good actor who is in auto-pilot and let's be honest if this film was done 10 years ago we'd be seeing bloody Hugh Grant or Colin Firth in the leading role. Kirsten Dunst is a big disappointed in this film. My positive thoughts go towards the highly talented Jon Favreau (why is he in this film!?!?!) who steals scenes as the sports agent (not as good a agent as "Swingers" co-star Ron Livingston is in "Adaptation." though!)

Not for the pretentious. Good CGI though.