Wimbledon (2004) Poster

Hits the spot
Sweet_Ophelia2 October 2004
Peter Colt (Paul Bettany) was once ranked 11th in the tennis world back in the 90's. Now with the prime of his life behind him, ranked number 119, Peter decides to throw in the towel and play his last ever Wimbledon tournament before gracefully bowing out of the gentleman's sport for good and going to work at a tennis club tending to clucky old ladies. All he wants is to go out in style, keep his dignity and try not to cock up too badly. That is, until he meets American tennis sweet-heart Lizzie Bradbury (Kirsten Dunst). Lizzie is the tennis world's new golden girl, and looks to have Wimbledon in the bag... that is until Peter proves a costly distraction. They instantly take a liking to one another, and their relationship moves pretty quickly into the bedroom. Her side-tracked mind becomes apparent to her ambitious father (Sam Neill) who can feel his daughter's priorities taking a turn. Meanwhile, Lizzie is improving Peter's game by acting as his 'lucky charm'. Now Peter has to ask himself.... can the long-shot win the tournament?

'Working Title Films' are the same lot who brought us "four weddings & a funeral" and "bridget jones's diary" and while they stick to pretty much the same formula with Wimledon, it's a formula that works and produces a satisfying romantic comedy. Bumbling, charming Brit meets American hot-shot. Boy gets girl. Boy loses Girl.... and all the rest.... While this is nothing new essentially, it is still a very great movie.

Paul Bettany is a gorgeous leading man, pulling out all the charms and making himself impossible not to like. Be sure to keep an eye out for Bettany, who is more used to taking the back-seat supporting role in films (A knights tale, a beautiful mind etc...) but after Wimbledon, he has proven himself a more than capable and lovable leading-man.

Kirsten delivers a some-what aggressive performance as Lizzie. Sure she's a head-strong American, but couldn't Dunst have made her a likable head-strong American? It's not a bad performance, just a little 'off' at times, not quite hitting the mark she should have aimed for in this romantic comedy.

Jon Favreau plays Peter's manager, a typically sleazy businessman... but he does it so well, and with such delivery that he's also impossible not to like. Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau plays Peter's German friend. It's a small role, but my God, this guy is a hunk and a half. Sam Neill is pretty forgettable, playing a fairly wooden one-dimensional character. The other noticeable performance comes from unknown James McAvoy who plays Peter's annoying brother, Carl. Great comedic timing and genuinely likable.

Wimbledon is filled with quick wit, dry English humor, fantastic (although computer-generated) tennis matches and a stand-out leading man. What's not to like? It's a great film for a good laugh and is a definite pleaser. Game-set-match!
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Tennis Movie's
mystery_angel1218 December 2004
There aren't many Tennis movies so when one does come out, Tennis fans are quick to see it and quick to judge it. As well as being a movie about Britain's famous Wimbledon Tennis Tournament it is a romantic comedy. I think a lot of people who see the movie and are disappointed with the so called lack of Tennis scenes are forgetting the movie is also about the romance between the two tennis players (Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst.) I loved the movie, I thought it was quirky, romantic and fun. There are heaps of real-life tennis couples and this movie is a great example of how two people from different places and upbringings can change each other's lives. If you like romantic comedyies or sports movies than I definitely recommend this movie.
76 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly funny and enjoyable. Well filmed and superb performance from Bettany.
Richard Brunton7 October 2005
Straight off I have to make something clear, I wasn't really looking forward to watching this. A romantic comedy movie from some of the Working Title team based on Wimbledon didn't exactly set my pulse racing. I did not want another comedy from this stable, for me Love Actually had stretched the idea enough for me.

So after seeing it I'm very surprised I enjoyed it so much. Despite the rom-com badge and the almost unbelievable premise of Wimbledon it's actually very entertaining and the focus is very much on the com side of that genre label.

Movie The movie has a lot of style right from the very cool opening credits. The filming of the tennis scenes are well done and keep the flow of the movie going. Imagine showing all the crucial Tennis matches for two players climbing through the stages in Wimbledon without the story going dull and the cinematography going into a standard and repetitive style? Well it doesn't, it's almost matrix-esue in it's style in fact. For sports and romantic films, it certainly breaks the mould.

Putting aside the style and the fast paced music, what about the story? Well it's actually got a few twists which are quite unexpected and although it does tread typical ground, the turns are enough to keep you guessing as to the outcome and keep you hooked.

Neat the finals this really does come out and I was very surprised to find myself on the edge of my seat for some of the points, and indeed some of the matches.

It's very funny too, and Paul Bettany shows a particular talent for timing, comedy and looks on camera. It's Bettany that really carries this movie backed by strong performances by Kirsten Dunst, Sam Neill and some smaller British filled roles for Bettany's characters family.

Bettany is totally believable from playing the tennis matches through to the romantic moments. His acting talent shows through amazingly well and is aided by a fantastically written script with some truly funny moments. In particular the self talking moments when we travel inside the head of the tennis player during a match. They seem to capture perfectly the moments of self doubt we all seem to have, quite insightful.

Sound Presented: English - Dolby Digital (5.1) Sporting an excellent Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack at times you can hear the ground around you applauding, or the sound of a ball going past. When a moment of dialogue appears everything is dialled down and there's no attempt at over use.

Picture Presented: Widescreen 2.35:1 Anamorphic Something that struck me was the potential to have the screen be overpowered by the greens of Wimbledon and with the traditional weather there was a thought that the movie would look too dark and dull. Neither is true.

The picture is sharp and vibrant through the movie, clear and bright and very colour rich, it retains this look through even the more complex of special effects match shots.

Extras Presented: Audio commentary with Richard Loncraine and Paul Bettany, 'Welcome To The Club' featurette, 'Ball Control' featurette, 'Coach A Rising Star' featurette, 'Wimbledon: A Look Inside' featurette, Trailers The featurettes are about how the tennis was filmed, how the actors were trained, looks inside Wimbledon itself, and some further looks into the movie. They are quite short and interesting, but they aren't the main draw here, they just serve as distractions from the superb audio commentary from Bettany and the director Richard Loncraine.

Insightful, funny and quite revealing, we hear much about the behind the scenes, shots that never were and how the actors got on together. This was one of the better commentaries I've heard and well worth listening to. Both Bettany and Loncraine are funny and self depreciating, typical British humour.

Overall It's a funny and very enjoyable movie, actually quite a surprise and in a way actually funnier than Love Actually. It also seems to capture the inner dialogues that people face daily very well, as well as some of the other dialogue being nailed rather well. Bettany shines in this film and it shows the huge talent that he has.
32 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cool! The Ultimate Tennis Movie
Brian Bagnall4 January 2005
I've been waiting a long time for an actual tennis movie, and finally here it is and it does not disappoint. Normally I don't feel compelled to comment on the opening credits, but the sequence is so brilliant I have to. As you hear a ball being whacked back and forth, the credits start appearing to the far left of the screen, then the far right, back and forth. Suddenly you realize everyone in the theater is craning their heads back and forth. The film makers have just gotten everyone acting like a tennis crowd. You know right away the film was made by someone who actually watches tennis.

The film has a fair amount of amusing comedy, such as how no one except for Peter Colt can seem to remember that Peter Colt was once ranked 11th. He's moderately wealthy and he's never been hungry, but at 31 he is starting to become a little too old for tennis so he decides it's time to hang up the racket after Wimbledon.

The film does a great job of showing the various types of tennis games pro's go through. There's the experienced player versus the rookie. There's the friend versus friend match. There's the game where everyone is cheering for the other guy. And finally, there's the game where you play your worst enemy.

By the end of the film, you will understand why tennis winners usually fall down on the grass and start weeping after they win the title. I have one question though - why the @*%& did they use a rap song at the end of this film?
46 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Serviceable Romantic Comedy
Placemat1 January 2005
"Wimbledon" is another one of those agreeable, English-flavored romantic comedies which in years past would have starred a stammering Hugh Grant. This time the principals are professional tennis players and the setting is Wimbledon. Paul Bettany makes for a good romantic lead in the Grant mold without the latter's sometimes annoying cloying and also is convincing as a tennis player at the tail end of his career. But Kirsten Dunst, the love interest, while giving a very likable performance, does not look her part. She also is not helped by the screenplay, which does not present her as a particularly compelling match. In fact, the character seems more like one that usually would be set up as the rival, missing the elements of the "intended". Further causing the film to come across less than compelling: Every character, save one, is nice, making it nearly conflict-free. Not a waste of time, but nothing memorable, "Wimbledon" is a tension-free, pick-me-up: The movie equivalent of a lightly-flavored carbonated water: effervescent, but lacking any distinct taste.
40 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sparkling, Witty Sports Rom/Com
Stacey Woods1 October 2004
I've been waiting to see this movie since I first heard about the shoot. I love Wimbledon the place, but was also suitably impressed by Wimbledon the movie.

It's been compared to my other favourite sports rom/com 'The Cutting Edge' and I definitely agree. The basic story has been done - washed up pro finds romance with upcoming new star and gets his second wind - but that doesn't mean that it can't be done again, and done well.

Paul Bettany was excellent and I was much happier to see him than Hugh Grant, and Kirsten Dunst played the competitive brat well.

The script had some genuinely funny moments, with Jon Favreau stealing some of the best lines.

We all know how the movie will turn out at the end, but this does nothing to detract from it on the whole. Brain power is not required to watch this film, but that makes it all the more enjoyable.

I eagerly await the DVD release and give Wimbledon 9/10.
67 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Match begins at love all
Fong_Chun_Kin9 February 2005
Erm... no offence to Tim Henman and his fans, but here's one hell of a sporting fantasy for you: a professional British tennis player actually winning Wimbledon. Wow. Well, as we all tennis fans know it, such a scenario can only happen in the realm of movie magic.

Paul Bettany stars as Peter Colt, a fading tennis player who is resigned to retiring from the professional circuit with the fact that he'll have nothing to show for it. The only time I've seen Bettany was in A Beautiful Mind, which elicited a rather haunting performance from him. And so it was to my delight that he managed to fit into this role with such ease and charm, as if he had been doing romantic comedies all his life. He displays the typical British dry wit and slightly dark humour effortlessly, almost to a fault (excuse the pun). Not the best performance from Kirsten Dunst, but she does give a pretty convincing portrayal as the brash American world number one female player.

Speaking of brashness, it's a pleasant surprise to see the notoriously foul-mouthed John McEnroe in a cameo appearance, as a commentator giving his two-cent's worth during the tennis matches. His presence adds a nice touch, giving a certain "real tennis" feel to the fictitious tennis players in the film.

Despite not having real professional tennis players in the acting roles, the action sequences in the matches do look very convincing, thanks to the amazing cinematography. You certainly realise how far cinematic technology has progressed over the years when you see Bettany and Dunst belt out those groundstrokes and smashes almost as beautifully as the real-life, seasoned pros would.

All in all, an entertaining date flick that holds even more appeal for tennis fans.

Who should watch: Those who don't mind suspending their belief about British tennis to simply enjoy a lovable romantic comedy.

Who shouldn't watch: Tim Henman, all English tennis players and English tennis fans. They may actually believe they CAN really win a grand slam.

Rating: 7.5
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Have you ever seen a more predictable movie?
Hint52318 March 2005
Wimbledon tells the lame tale of a regular tennis player who suddenly becomes king of the bling, and wins the tennis tournament. For starters, if your 118th in the world, you ain't gonna win the biggest hot-shot tournament in a week. But Hollywood has to make a sappy movie, and in order for that he HAS to win. Next most predictable thing: the romance. It follows the basic, lame, step-by-step romantic stuff. 1. Boy Accidentally Meets Girl 2. They Bond, do something together. 3. For some reason, they are not meant to be together, but they stay together. 4. Boy or Girl does something not good that ruins it all 5. They apologize in some obscure way. 6. A Happy, sappy ending. So Wimbledon is a horrible film, and should not have earned a dollar in profits.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Paul Bettany makes this a winning movie.
NativeTexan22 December 2004
Paul Bettany is perfect in his role, and delivers his self-effacing and ironical lines better than any Englishman since Michael Caine. He isn't classically handsome, yet you can't take your eyes off him. Whatever the camera loves, he's got. Kirstin Dunst continues to get roles she's not right for, yet carry them off by sheer self-confidence and forthrightness. She's not pretty, her figure is utterly ordinary, and she certainly isn't built like an athlete. She doesn't even look like she works out. And there's no subtlety in her performance -- maybe that's the directors fault, but her one-dimensional portrayal has all the mystery of drywall. Whichever it is, Mr. Bettany's charm and ease help soften her one-note approach to her role. Sam Neill, a brilliant and completely lovable actor, is totally wasted in this role.
45 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wimbledon Serves Love
seaview113 September 2004
The sport of tennis serves (no pun intended) as a good background in Strangers on a Train and Pat and Mike. As the focal point of a full feature, it has never produced a solid film. Instead, there would be the occasional lightweight drama like Players (Dean Paul Martin and Ali McGraw) which fizzled back in 1980. Wimbledon, while a marked improvement over the former, does nothing to change the status quo.

Primarily a star vehicle for Kirsten Dunst (Spiderman, Bring It On) and rising star Paul Bettany (Master and Commander, A Beautiful Mind), the storyline is the stereotypic budding romance between Dunst who is the up and coming tennis star, and Bettany, the aging midline star who is trying for one last shot at being champion at Wimbledon. Their romance blossoms much to the consternation of Dunst's father (Sam Neill) who fears distractions for his daughter. There are a few subplots involving Bettany's quarreling parents, his playing partner, and his opportunistic agent (Jon Favreau). It's not too hard to figure who might win/lose or where the romance will lead.

Stars Dunst and Bettany are likable and have a nice chemistry but not much script to work with. There are a few nice lines and situations piecemealed throughout, but the plot is paper thin and the dialogue is unimaginative. This was from the people who brought us Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral? Ah, look at the credits more closely and Richard Curtis is missing; not even a Hugh Grant cameo is in sight. Sam Neill, Bernard Hill, and Eleanor Bron (Remember her from the original Bedazzled?) are wasted in minor roles. The tennis scenes are somewhat fun with the stars putting their all in the physical matches, but the tennis balls are almost too perfect as the special effects become too obvious.

Bettany is destined for more substantial roles and Dunst won't be hurt by this lightweight comedy/drama. One could only imagine what they could have done with a more lively script and complex characters. Sure it's nice to look at and the stars are a cute couple, but this was a squandered opportunity.
47 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining Romantic Movie
butchfilms7 February 2009
This movie was better of what I expected, it was interesting and entertaining.

I had seen Paul Bettany in " Gangster No. 1 (2000)" and I was surprised that he could do a romantic comedy so well too, he had a good chemistry with the beautiful Kirsten Dunst who is always good in this kind of movies. The plot is interesting and I liked a lot the tennis games scenes. What I didn't like so much were some silly moments involving Peter Colt's brother and manager.

Peter Colt is playing his last tournament at Wimbledon and there he will meet Lizzie a young tennis player with a great future with whom he will begin a romance behind her father's back ..........

I recommend watching it if you like romantic comedy movies.
Patriotic Wish-Fulfilment Fantasy
James Hitchcock11 July 2007
Tennis has not generally been a popular sport with film-makers. The hero of Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train" may be a top tennis player, but for most of that film he has other matters than sport on his mind, like clearing himself of a murder charge. "Wimbledon" is the first film I can recall in which the game has taken centre stage.

It has been compared to a Richard Curtis film, and certainly has some similarities to his "Notting Hill". Both films are named after districts of London, and Hugh Grant, the star of "Notting Hill", was also originally slated for the lead in "Wimbledon". Both also both feature a shy, nervous, self-deprecating upper-middle-class Englishman who falls in love with a glamorous American superstar. The twist here, of course, is that the superstar in question, Lizzie Bradbury, is not a Hollywood actress but rather a leading professional tennis player. The man who falls for her is another tennis player, Peter Colt. Colt is a journeyman professional, just outside the game's elite. He was once ranked number eleven in the world, but he is now in the twilight of his career and has slipped to 119. He is playing in his last Wimbledon before retirement from the game, and wants to go out in style.

Apart from "Notting Hill", there may also be a real-life precedent for the romance of Lizzie and Peter. A generation ago Chris Evert, a glamorous American superstar of the game, married John Lloyd, a journeyman English professional ranked just outside the game's elite. (If a cinematic biopic of John and Chrissie were ever to be made, Kirsten Dunst and Paul Bettany might not be bad choices for the leading roles). Of course, there are a few differences. Whereas Evert's calm, imperturbable demeanour won her the nickname of "the Ice Maiden", Lizzie is a tempestuous hothead on the lines of John McEnroe. She even gets to repeat one of his lines- "Chalk flew up!". (If Evert and McEnroe really were the inspiration for the character of Lizzie, neither of them seem to have minded- both appear in the film as commentators). Peter is rather older than Lloyd was at the time of his marriage. And, most importantly, he manages to do something which neither Lloyd nor any other Englishman has done since Fred Perry in 1936. He wins Wimbledon.

That last sentence might give a clue as to the true nature of the film. The British have a curious relationship with the game of tennis. Or, to be more accurate, they have a curious relationship with the Wimbledon championships. For a fortnight in late June and early July every year, the BBC devote several hours a day to showing the matches, and the newspapers are full of articles lamenting the fact that Britain has not produced a winner of the men's singles since Perry or of the women's singles since Virginia Wade in 1977. This failure is pronounced a National Disgrace; talented players such as Tim Henman or Greg Rusedski are subjected to unfair criticism or even ridicule for failing to win Wimbledon. For the remaining fifty weeks of the year the fever abates and the great majority of the British public take little interest in the sport; the other major tennis championships are not normally televised to any extent except on specialist satellite channels. The last British player to win a Grand Slam singles title was not in fact Wade but Sue Barker, but because her triumph was achieved at Roland-Garros rather than Wimbledon it does not really count in British eyes.

The film, therefore, is less a comedy or a romantic comedy than a patriotic wish-fulfilment fantasy. The player whom Colt defeats in the final, Jake Hammond, is an obnoxious American who fulfils admirably the British stereotype of the vulgar, loud-mouthed Yankee cut down to size by a quiet but determined Englishman. Hammond's standing in the game is emphasised by the fact that, on his way to the final, he defeats real-life champions such as Lleyton Hewitt and Roger Federer; Colt's victims, by comparison, are all fictional characters. (The film also refers by name to other real-life tennis players such as Serena Williams and Andy Roddick, and there are thinly-disguised portraits of Henman and Amelie Mauresmo).

Although the film is billed as a romantic comedy, there is not that much humour; I suspect that if the script had been written by Richard Curtis it would have been a good deal wittier than it is. Most of the attempts at raising laughs centre upon Peter's difficult younger brother Carl, or upon old puns like "love means nothing in tennis", or the occasional piece of bawdiness. Even the romance often has to take second place to the tennis. It is a standard convention of rom-coms that there has to be some obstacle to the love of the young couple, and an attempt is made to provide one here in the shape of Lizzie's over-protective father, but he proves to be an insufficiently serious obstacle for any real dramatic tension to develop. This is generally a watchable film, and Bettany makes a likable hero, but there is nothing really deep or memorable about it. 6/10
Love, Game, Match
AZINDN22 March 2006
Peter Colt (Paul Bettany) is a 33 year old sometimes talented tennis player now on the lower rungs of the ratings. He'll retire after Wimbledon to country club courts and bored haus fraus of genteel England. Lizzy Bradbury(Kirsten Dunst) is a spoiled, loose American daddy's girl on her way up the Wimbledon ladder. They meet, trade rackets, and dodge daddy (Sam Neill) all during the two weeks of the tournament. Through their sexual escapades caught in the tabloid press, Peter finds himself in a new love relationship that gives his game a much needed boost. For Lizzy however, she is out of the competition and blames Peter for her bad showing. Do Lizzie and Peter find foreplay? Will Peter overcome his aching back and win Wimbledon before he's 34. Will Lizzie learn that swinging a racket means on court and not in bed?

These are the earth shattering questions answered in the maudlin and inane film, Wimbledon. While Bettany give another excellent and solid performance as the charming Peter Colt, audiences have to tolerate Dunst, whose whiny voice and uncoordinated serve is so laughable that tennis buffs will be forced to yell at linesmen on screen and threaten the umpire to call this film out of the bounds and forfeit the audience's money. Awful.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Contrived and clichéd sports romance that always takes expected turn
DeathByTelevision20 August 2005
I wasn't expecting Schindler's List when I sat down to watch Wimbledon, but this movie scrapes the bottom of the barrel when it comes to supposed lighthearted romantic fare. Professional tennis players Peter and Lizzie simply meet, have sex and fall in love before we've seen them have a meaningful conversation. Throughout the movie, we never learn exactly what these two see in each other. We're supposed to blindly believe that they met and fell madly in love for no reason, with Lizzie suddenly becoming a muse for an over-the-hill tennis player. There is absolutely no suspense in any of the tennis matches, and every turn is completely obvious. With such a weak script and such a phoned in performance by Kirsten Dunst, this played like a bad TV movie of the week.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
From the people that brought you Notting Hill...
Flagrant-Baronessa11 July 2006
...comes another romantic comedy, almost exactly like it! Having picked up on the blatant similarities between Paul Bettany and Hugh Grant as foppish, witty Englishmen in Wimbledon, it came as no surprise to me to learn that Hugh Grant had originally been considered for the lead role of Peter Colt. If you have ever seen a film starring Hugh Grant as the lead, you know now what Wimbledon is essentially like and how it is acted because Paul Bettany's tennis-playing character Peter is exactly like a Hugh Grant character--confused, witty and extremely English. While Bettany does not quite have the the charming part down to perfection yet, he is much more attractive than the king of romantic comedies. He is also strangely compatible with Kirsten Dunst and that makes it a nice romance story.

While centering the plot around tennis (Wimbledon, in fact) is fairly uncommon, this is only a disguise for a genuinely ordinary and well-milked premise. Man is out of touch and out of luck and meets a wild, free girl who will help him awake from his sedated mental state and make him feel alive again. Conflicts inevitably rise, because the man and girl are two players in Wimbledon and so there is more at stake than just a love affair; they are both competing to win. In the end, this film is really quite cute and often at least a little funny but believe me when I say it's nothing you haven't seen before. I mostly enjoyed it because of Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau, to be honest.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Film isn't worth the time.
annamagnani7 October 2004
The friend I saw "Wimbledon" with joked that whoever wrote it must have googled "cliches" and then tossed every one of them in this sorry excuse for a romantic comedy. So banal it's offensive. Not even Paul Bettany's sexy overbite could save it. Its half-hearted effort at combining sports with a love story annoyed me to no end. Hardly a decent shot, let alone sequence, of any actual tennis play and dialog about the game amounted to such trite wisdom as "play through the pain." It appears the film makers targeted this film towards young women, assuming they'd identify with Kirsten Dunst. Sure...an arrogant, hothead trollop who'll give up her dream for a quick shag.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stick to Watching Tim
prylands9 December 2004
Wimbledon, in short, is poorly written. There is very little character development and consequently it is difficult to muster any great interest in or sympathy for the protagonists of the piece. The film combines a weak tale of an underdog winning through the tournament and an overly sentimental romance.

The film may appeal to hopeless romantics but this is not a work of any depth or substance. The actors do what they can with the screenplay but in truth it smacks of children's TV with a soundtrack. It does contain a brilliant gem in the injured ballboy. I challenge anyone not laugh at this hapless episode in which a tiny kid is poleaxed by the fastest serve ever and yet is still in attendance as lucky mascot in the next match - black eye and all.

This is not so much a straight to DVD film as straight in the bin. If you care for such fluff then you're better off watching Henman's annual failure - at least that is free.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolute Fluff, Bettany only one worth seeing.
TalentedRipley4 October 2004
This movie is exactly what I expected. Not worth the money I paid to see it in theaters, however it was not my turn to choose the flick, so I reluctantly went. This movie is not about Tennis, so very little point in commenting on the fact we don't see actors actually playing tennis. They weren't good enough for real action, I understand that. The story was stupidly predictable, this is also expected I have come to understand when it comes to seeing romantic comedies. I can't comment on Kirsten Dunst's acting ability, because it gets me angry that people still give her starring roles even though she hasn't done a decent job of sincerely portraying a character since she was in "An Interview with a Vampire". Paul Bettany was memorable but there was a definite lack of chemistry, and also a lack of good material to work with. The story itself was lacking in substance, but also just straight laughs... I hate when people say its a perfect date movie....as if people on a date don't want something entertaining...so I think I would say this....this is a good movie to rent when it comes out on DVD and you plan to make out on the couch while you are supposedly watching it.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is dishonesty in advertising
Kleiny11 September 2005
It wouldn't have bothered me that this movie sucked - under any normal circumstances I wouldn't even have bothered panning it - but what really raised my ire was that this film was advertised as 'from the makers of Bridget Jones Diary, Notting Hill, and Four Weddings and a Funeral', which is kind of true; the production company was the same.

BUT, and it's a big 'but' folks, this film, unlike the aforementioned three, was NOT written by the altogether talented Richard Curtis (y'know, the kiwi that has written just about everything funny to come out of england in the last 20 years).

I go to great pains to point this out for the unsuspecting viewer who might think by renting Wimbledon they are about about to have unleashed upon them something as charming as 'Love Actually' or something as achingly funny as 'Four Weddings', when in fact all they'll get is all the charm and wit of a Zimbabwean politician.

That Richard (Richard III) Loncraine directed this slap-in-the-face-with-a-wet-fish piece of drivel bears mentioning only as a contrast to what the difference between a good script and a bad one can mean to a director.

Yoda says, 'Like the plague you should avoid this'

5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two professional tennis players fall in love during THE professional tennis event.
kragratt13 March 2005
Very disappointing. I can usually find something in a romantic comedy to like. I love Wimbledon (the tournament), I like Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst, but I could find nothing about this movie to like. The action isn't that real, it is neither funny nor romantic. The film really has no feeling whatsoever. I didn't root for them when they were playing in a match, I didn't root for the romance, I just kept waiting for the movie to begin. I felt like I was watching a 90 minute trailer. In fact, I like the trailer better than the movie. It just never got going. Very poor job of bringing the characters to life. I didn't expect much when I rented it, but wow, I don't think that I have seen another movie this void. It would be better watched muted because if you like England there is some nice scenery.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
harmless piece of romantic fluff
Roland E. Zwick25 July 2005
"Wimbledon" is a charming love-conquers-all romantic comedy set in the highly competitive world of professional tennis.

Peter Colt is an aging player who has slipped to 119 in the world rankings; it is for this reason that he plans to hang up his racket after what he believes will be his swan song appearance at Wimbledon. What he isn't counting on is that he will meet and fall in love with a beautiful and sexy up-and-coming player named Lizzie Bradbury, a turn of events which seems to be having a very positive effect on his game. Soon, he's racking up surprise, come-from-behind wins in the tournament, becoming a major focus of attention for appreciative fans all over Great Britain. The problem is that, as Peter's game improves as a result of the romance, Lizzie's seems to be getting worse, a fact which threatens to put a serious strain on the young couple's burgeoning relationship.

Although the story itself is rather innocuous and silly, Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst do achieve a genuine rapport on screen. It's also nice to have a protagonist in a romantic comedy who is not exactly in his physical prime and who is facing some of the rigors of advancing age (he's all of 30, practically his dotage when it comes to professional tennis!). Moreover, the setting is novel and there is just enough of that brittle British humor in the screenplay to keep the film from feeling puerile and canned. It's true that Lizzie seems to be an entirely different person off the court than she is on, but that is just one of those inconsistencies we tend to expect from a movie in which credibility isn't necessarily a prime factor in determining our overall enjoyment of it. And director Richard Loncraine manages to generate some genuine suspense in the final showdown between Peter and the odds-on favorite he isn't expected to beat.

"Wimbledon" is pure Cinderella romantic fantasy crossed with a David and Goliath, underdog-takes-on-the-reigning-champ sports story. If either of those genres appeals to you - or, even better, if both do - you should have a fun time at "Wimbledon."
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Poor and Lacking Storyline
rebeljenn3 October 2004
I think that this film lacked what it needed to really make a great film. Perhaps this is because I am not keen on watching sport itself. Most of the story focuses on Wimbledon, and there is a love story weaved into this. I'm not a fan of either genre, and I didn't have any expectations. I think the film lacks overall emotion, conflict, and storyline direction. This is not saying that the director went wrong or the actors/actresses could not act. I feel that the majority of the problem lay within the script itself. I could not place myself in the characters' shoes, and the conflicts that did occur throughout seemed to be played down (the parents, father figure, American tennis player who went to the finals). There were a couple of funny bits, but nothing is really memorable. Below average: rated 2 out of 10.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Probably the worst romantic drama I've ever seen--EVER
ChrisBagley3 January 2005
This movie was advertised as being from the director of Notting Hill, itself a mediocre and formulaic film heavy on stereotype and light on plot twists.

So I knew it was going to suck. I watched it to humor my sister on her birthday. If I'd known exactly how bad it was going to be, I would've pushed harder for a different chick flick.

The movie was noteworthy mainly for its liberal use of cliché. The sappy thumbs ups to the ball boys and other assorted "little people," the black-and-white contrast between Peter and his eventual American opponent, and the jealous and overprotective father coming around late in the game to root for the daughter's beau are merely the first three that come to mind.

Then there's the utter lack of character development. I'm still not sure whether the characters were played by real actors or by construction-paper cutouts.

As a tennis player who almost broke into the USTA top 100 in the state of Georgia, but aged out of my division, I might have at least enjoyed the tennis scenes and the player's comeback attempt. But it was not to be. The tennis was thoroughly uninspiring. Peter's character didn't even appear to have rehearsed his perfunctory lunges for the ball, not to mention his drop shot.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You cannot be serious!!!
This is one of the worst romantic comedies I've ever seen. Strictly for chicks and at that, only chicks with bad taste. It's predictable to the extent of torture. I really pity all the boyfriends who were dragged along to watch this corn-fest and thought it might not be so bad. John McEnroe makes a cameo and I wonder if he wrote and directed it too. The only thing this film served up was bad taste. No doubt it was a big hit with the Titanic-loving brigade. The writing was bad bad and the service from the actors was enough to make you cover your eyes and ears. The film seemed to out do itself in every following scene with how corny it could get. This film makes Jackass look like Shakespeare, How this has gotten the score that it has on IMDb I'll never know, I guess it must be English people loving all the flag waving during the matches(guys ye have got to stop giving your home grown stuff 10 out of 10 as it then becomes impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff)...but I can't be sure.

Pity the rain didn't stop play on this one, game set and match to bad film making.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Silly and Fun Date Movie
Sapphira Gratz20 September 2004
This is a silly little date movie. My theater was full of teenage girls (in fact, a whole high school cheerleading squad was there!) and couples. That's about the right demographic for the film. It's cute and romantic. Despite the title, you don't have to like tennis either to enjoy the film. My date liked it a lot and he hates tennis. It's formulaic as I expected but that didn't necessarily detract from it because sometimes it's nice to know that there is going to be a happy ending.

The film is successful because of Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst, who are both so charming and so sweet that you feel the sugar rush as soon as the film starts. So I liked it in a date-movie kind of way. Take your significant other or girlie friends - it's a good time.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this