IMDb > "Queer Eye" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Queer Eye" More at IMDbPro »"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

How 'reality' shows should be.

Author: kingwalker from Runcorn, England
28 September 2004

QE is an interesting and markedly different way of looking at the Reality and Makeover subgenre.

The so-called 'victims' appearing in QEFTSG appear willingly, and despite being harangued in a playful manner over their cleanliness, fashion sense and the contents of their fridge, they emerge from this show as more confident and more mature people. This is a show with lasting effects, not just for the wardrobe and the home, but for the lifestyle.

The Fab Five are not about tearing a person's confidence to shreds and dressing them like a doll, as we have seen in some of the lesser makeover shows (What Not To Wear, Extreme Makeovers). The subjects are listened to, they are counselled and delivered back to their partners and friends as better versions of themselves. No more bad haircut, no more dangerous living conditions. Think of the difference between wearing makeup and wearing a mask. This is the difference between QE and other makeover shows.

Thom Filicia in particular, handles the design of the subjects home in a way that no other reality show decorator does. His designs, furniture and decor choices reflect the person living in them. He extols the virtues of using your living space as you want to use it. Don't eat at the the table? Then don't have a dining room. Use the computer a lot? Put it in the lounge. And always, put your personality and your own stamp on the rooms. Watch Thom work a room, and you will forever see Changing Rooms and other interior makeovers as severely lacking.

QE never has one of those awkward 'reveal' moments where you can tell that someone hates what the makeover team have done. They are roundly thanked, sometimes tearfully, by the straight men they transform from ugly ducklings to 21st century swans. I have yet to see one person show any distaste at the changes made to their life. The response is always, as it should be. A heartfelt 'thankyou'.

Things just keep getting better...

Author: Mercy Bell (mercybell) from MA
20 July 2004

...Should be the theme for the show. Well, it is. But it's true. The show warms the heart while updating the clothes, and is one of the most entertaining things on television.

Makeover shows are a popular necessity to TV these days. We love em. From house and garden makeovers, to "The Swan" (I love CSI, but that one, I must admit, grosses me out), "What Not to Wear", even Oprah or, my other favorite, "Second Chance". Queer Eye For the Straight Guy offers an ingenious combo, gay men making over often very slobby straight men. Make it hip, cool, fun. Presto, mega hit. But the show goes further than other makeover shows because it really offers something to the viewer. It tells you HOW to look better the way Bob Vila shows you how to build a house, as opposed to whisking someone backstage and back out a different person. And above all, it gives you a real sense that you can change your life by throwing out the old and bringing in the new, having a positive outlook. Life detox, and all with a real human connection.

The show, which has 5 gay mavens driving all over uber cool parts of New York City and each being oracles of stylistic expertise, turning the often dowdy everyman into a Adonis of personal style. The makeovers are extensive and delightfully enjoyable to watch. We see a big transformation, blueprints and details, all laced through the roof with spontaneity and hilarity from 5 very, very, very funny and warmhearted men, aka the Fab Five - Carson Kressley for clothes, Kyan Douglas for grooming, Ted Allen for food, Thom Filicia for house and home, and Jai Rodriguez for culture. They're all experts and they all milk amazing end results. Every new guy has a new recipe that had thought and attention put into it, unlike some shows which just do the same thing to everyone, and we're brought through the whole process. Each of the gurus walk the participant through the makeover, usually with fairly easy instructions and give them tasks they have to do themselves. The majority of the time it looks like a bona fide style miracle took place. Darned fun stuff.

But I think the magic of QEftSG is that 90% of the time, the main thing the straight guys get out of the experience is a life makeover with the belief that anything can happen in their future. The outward change manifests an inner spring cleaning. Over and over these guys, by the end of the show, have a renewed self esteem and vitality for life instead of wallowing in the doldrums of everyday existence...which is something a lot of us can relate to and hope we can take initiative from. The Fab Five are sort of like a group of superheroes, running around to help those in need of couture and general rejuvenation.

Other than our collective addiction to "the makeover", the fact that this show does makeovers much the better than the rest with flourish and warmth and style up the wazoo, and the often hilarious nature of the show -- the joy and emotion often beaming off the participants faces and the genuine compassion and dedication the Fab Five shows to each of the straight guys is, I think, what keeps people coming back every week.

Not all queers are bitches. . .

Author: bekayess from Orlando, FL
17 July 2003

. . .as the FAB 5 prove.

What a great show! The five guys who do the "make-overs" should prove to the rest of America (the right-wingers, religious-right-ers, ex-gays', et al) that we're not perverts and bitchy queens--well, maybe some of are queens, but we're not all bitchy.

The 5 show great care and affection for their "victims," and I don't mean that they want to take them to bed. The only concern is to make the makeover guy happy and successful.

Thanks, Bravo, for this ground-breaking new "reality" show.

One great show with humor, and tons of help on how to live good

Author: ztpitsel from USA
3 July 2004

This is a show that our whole family watches and loves as it shows how to better ones life and has tips, Humor and so much more. I have seen other shows that try to copy it but never coming close and as to the geniuses in this one. It sparks up peoples life with all kinds of things on how you may want to bring yourself to the best you can and possibly get better with a helpful start from some really great guys. I wish they had more outside of New York but they are unique people and maybe some one could find more with open minds and with and such know how. I bet most of use could use them to better ourselves and start living more to better standards or however you want to word it. We of our family, love how they can tell almost how to read a mind and how so many people enjoy their helpful ways for anyone they help. Keep up the good work and you will stay on top with your great tips, wits and knowledge. - Thanks for the show

Hey, Whatever...

Author: 9jbb from London, Canada
22 September 2003

Okay...

Here's the deal. I'm a hetero guy, but I gotta admit, I love this show. Yeah, stereotypes are flying around everywhere, but that's the premise of the show. And yeah, they blow a lot of cash, but why not? I mean, the object is to get the girl, and if you blow some money at first you'll reap the rewards later. Personally, I wish they did a Canadian special so I could apply for them to make me over. If they did, I'd get so much tail after that I'd go insane... Keep it up guys....

I watch this every week

Author: MarMitch from Texas
4 October 2003

Let's face it some people need a kick in the pants if not a new pair of pants. I like this program. I think the 5 guys are entertaining and considering there are cameras following theme around they all seem pretty genuine although Carson flames a bit but you can tell he's like that all the time and not just for the cameras. They are doing the jobs they love and helping some poor filthy guy out is a bonus. I know there are gay men that need help (bobby trendy?) but it seems that most of the hetero men being 'eyed' on this show really want the help. I love the way the 5 all cringe when the heteros 'speed shave'. I'm a hetero female and I find it very entertaining to watch. Thinking about it though, it really doesn't matter that the men are gay, it could be called 'Professional Eye for the Amateur Guy' but then it would be 'What not to Wear MEETS every DIY show on cable'. So the gay aspect is the show's hook. It would be just as good if the word 'gay' was never used, but the comments wouldn't be as clever (like when Kyan was wearing a cowboy hat that belonged to one of the their target guys and Carson called him 'George Gay' (instead of George Straight). I like everything about QE.

As FAB as they've ever been

Author: candacedw from United States
10 May 2006

Still as entertaining and enjoyable as when it first began. The guys have maintained an engaging rapport and a winning sense of humor, no matter what straight guy crosses their paths! And the "brotherhood" and true camaraderie that exists amongst the five is to be commended.....as so many reality shows bring out the worst in others, THIS show only focuses on the BEST. I am so looking forward to the new season as they branch out....

The wedding episodes were heart-warming and touching but the new ones shot in Vegas look like they're gonna be a blast...

As they approach a landmark 100th episode, I hope fans continue to support their endeavors and appreciate EACH of their talents.

Gotta love the originality

Author: dianeread from San Francisco
9 August 2003

I have no particular opinion about gay issues, but I really love this show for its originality and imagination. I agreed with the guys when they ragged on that woman that one of their subjects wanted to ask to move in. And although I think Carson's comments can be hilarious, it's boring to have him pretend to be hitting on the straight guys. And please, no more underwear sniffing!

What I wonder about this show is if they can bring in enough variations on the theme so it doesn't get repetitious. The first show really was the best, because that guy went from looking like a total mess to being really handsome and cool. The changes have been less dramatic in the subsequent shows.

AMAZING songs from past 2 wedding epsisodes

Author: lexeee from United States
3 January 2006

does anyone know the name of the two mellow-guitar-ish songs in the background of the last two wedding episodes? the one with the Italian/Jewish couple and the one with the vets? i can't find any music other than whats on the soundtrack but these songs are not on it. help?

the songs are fantastic, its so frustrating that the artists are so hard to find--it reminds me of when i heard underground artists in the background of real world a couple of years ago, and it was so weird to just a hear a random snip of a familiar song that doesn't get radio play on TV---and then its gone!

anyway, enough of my rant. does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Fabulous to girls like me, useful to guys like you!

Author: NathalieKim from Brazil
14 January 2005

"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" is the best show on TV! Why? It's simple: imagine five great people who had never known you before, going to your house and changing you from hair to toe! That's exactly what Ted, Thom, Kyan, Carson and Jai do for all the straight guys that come in their ways! Ted (VERY handsome, funny and an excellent cooker!) teaches a guy how to do great things in the kitchen, from complicated fishes and wine qualities to quick drinks and simple food; Thom has an excellent taste and he makes any place, doesn't matter how hideous it might be!, look amazing and sophisticated; Kyan transforms a guy's looks by only giving him a haircut or teaching him how to shave his beard without slitting his throat!; Carson is just amazing, his sense of humour captures everything and his taste on clothing is terrific and very ellegant; and Jai is such a sweet person, and he teaches the guy how to behave either if he's alone with a girl or in front of a huge audience - he's definatelly a 'culture expert'! By saying all this, I can only tell that "Queer Eye for The Straight Guy" is a very funny show, but it's also a very good tool for all of us to know that everybody has flaws, but they can be successfully fixed whenever you decide to - or when the Fab5 knocks at your door! In only one word, this show is... AWESOME!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]