IMDb > Decoys (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

wow

Author: jsteele02
12 December 2004

I saw this movie last night with a bunch of my friends because we all thought the movie cover was crazy. This was possibly one of the funniest movies I ever saw just because of how poor the quality was. That's how amazing Canadian film is?? Damn, I know Canada has good things, like hockey, beer, free health insurance. They have awesome musicians coming out of the woodworks. But off the top of my head, I can't think of a Canadian actor/actress. I'm sure there are amazing ones, but definitely not in this movie. Poor acting, bad CGI effects, the only decent thing in the movie was the funny line "Belt of Orion, how about the belt of O-Fryin'". That made me laugh, I enjoy humor. Movies of stupid humor are funny, poor quality movies such as this one make me sad.

Who Let The Dogs Out?

Author: J-Peg from Canada
28 February 2004

The only good thing I can say about this movie was I met a very beautiful lady waiting in line and was able to trash it over coffee. Shot in Ottawa, Canada, "Decoys" hits every bad cliche in the book and then pulls one of classic bad movie mistakes:

It takes itself seriously.

Now, had the film makers gone for 'camp' and spun it, Decoys could have been one of those films you kept on your self and pulled it out for a good chuckle once in a while (Army of Darkness, Arena, Robojox... You get the picture). Instead, the film tries to go for our fear points and give us the heebie jeebies. The only heebie jeebies I got from this was seeing that they have a sequal planned for next year.

Bottom line: Set your money on fire or sit through Howard the Duck.

Twice.

even for Canadian movies, this is bad.

Author: knifeintheeye from Canada
7 March 2006

I think I must be feeling generous giving this movie a 3. It's probably not even that good. A good measuring point of a movie is how many time you pause it or walk away WITHOUT pausing it. I did each several times.

The movie did get to the point / horror of the movie quickly, which is good. Unfortunataly, a movie about blond alien women who 'love' dudes to death, better have some serious nudity. Sadly, this was missing.

Missing as well, was a plot, characters you can believe or truly gorgeous women. (Why would Nicole Eggert sign onto this movie? She's good looking, but she's in a freakin' parka the whole time!) Did I mention the FX? No, that's because they're better left unsaid.

The twist at the end...never saw that coming...

Skip this flick.

Trite, Overused Tripe, but for Elias Toufexis

Author: Enrique Sanchez from Miami, FL
12 May 2005

Where do I begin, to tell the story of how bad a movie can be?

Here is a list of the tripe which makes this movie a sham:

1- College-age sex scenes masked as drama.

2- Aliens coming out of any orifice of one's body. (Writers, please stop writing movies with this as a plot element. It is so overused that only a writer with no imagination would be tempted to use this now stock piece of "alien occupation" as anything even remotely approaching originality.)

3- Bevy of blondes and bimbos used as an element to demonstrate the cultural diversity of the average population. (Here it comes off more as an element to bring in the little boys and their salivating glands..if not a cringe or two from this viewer.)

4- An ending which is so predictable to be almost blasphemously criminal. (Who of you who have seen this movie did NOT see this coming?)

5- Hard-rock soundtrack in place of a real one.

6- Direction and editing which strikes a new low in vapidity.

Only one scene even approaches the word "good":

***********PERHAPS A SPOILER***********

I am talking of the scene where Elias Toufexis has a sensitive encounter with an alien near the end of the movie. In this scene and in this scene only does one get a taste of the acting abilities of Toufexis. He demonstrates a very believable range as a young man who will do just about anything for real love. I hope we see more of Toufexis. He shows real promise.

************END OF SPOILER*************

Othewise, this movie was a terrific waste of an evening. I do not recommend it for anyone but the youngest sci-fi aficionados who may not yet know the difference between a sci-fi movie and a sci-fi film.

Doink!

Pleasantly Surprised -- A Veritable Gem

Author: puzzle10
27 February 2004

This is a thoroughly enjoyable film. I read a crummy review before going, and was truly surprised that it had been panned -- everything about this film is very well done.

The story: Some sorority girls are not what they seem, and the campus boys may be getting more than they bargain for. Essentially, the story is a fun take on men trying to figure out women. Beautiful aliens aside, it paints a believable picture of how young men probably see the dating game.

This production is very well put together. It has great scares when you *aren't* expecting them. Bang-on laughs -- enough to rival the best Joss Whedon writing. (If you don't think Joss can write, then YOU aren't funny). As well, the cast has great chemistry, no small feat considering they must have been freezing their butts off while they filmed. In fact, all the acting is great. All this, and the soundtrack was enjoyable, too.

I hope these folks make more movies, 'cause I definitely got my 11 bucks worth.

No Belly Buttons

Author: whpratt1 from United States
28 April 2006

The film starts out with two college guys getting into their new dorm surroundings and their eyes pop out of their heads with all the very good looking sexy and hot gals on their floor and next door. Instead of the guys hitting on the girls, these two gals don't waste time and seem to realize that these guys are virgins that need to be taken care of. One of the guys winds up in one of the girls apartment and views some very wild action which takes place between these very good looking gals. For some strange reason, these two gals do not have any belly buttons and from then on these guys are really in for some big trouble when they try to score. Enjoyable film

Dry Ice

Author: ghoulieguru from The Movie Crypt
9 December 2004

When I read the back of this DVD at the Blockbuster, I thought the plot line sounded a lot like "Species". Being a girl, I'm not usually too enthralled with the idea of watching hot naked monster girls seduce college frat boys, but I checked it out anyway. I didn't have high expectations, especially after reading the other user comments on IMDb.

But you know what? This flick is actually pretty darn entertaining.

Decoys definitely has its moments, mostly because it doesn't take itself too seriously. This isn't in the same class as "Shaun of the Dead" or "An American Werewolf in London", but it does serve up an enjoyable blend of humor and horror. Maybe the humor was too dry for some people and went over their heads? Or maybe I'm just odd, but I liked it.

A Great film.

Author: Shawn phillips from Maryland
14 September 2004

DECOYS (2004)

I was out at Target and saw this film on the new release shelf and new nothing about it but liked the cover so I got it. I'm glade I did. I loved this film. This film is about a collage freshman named Luke who finds out that all the sorority babes at his collage are aliens.The aliens who want to have sex with all the men at the collage say their species can live on. This film is much better then species which well only has one good thing about the film.The topless scene. This is an overall more intreating film and much more fun then species. The film is one of the more upscale Canadian production films. I really loved the whole concept of the film and loved the ending even though it was very predictable. I think that everyone should check this film out. You wont be disappointed.

Also coming 2005 is Decoys 2.

Surprise of the Month - Got to get this DVD

Author: from Pretoria, South Africa
30 July 2004

I'm a huge movie fan and watch at least 3 movies a week, either on circuit or rental.

Recently, I stumbled upon this movie when there was nothing else I knew at the video store and decided to check it out. Wow, what a surprise!

Unlike most other movies in the genre this had quite a unique story line and a twist which you don't expect until the final few scenes. It failed to be really scary but then again, when was the last time you saw a really scary movie?

The humor was awesome and I really laughed a lot. Being a DJ most of my life, I especially liked a joke during a scene which takes place at a party. This brings me to the music: Great choices of music that's all I can say...

The acting was well done and by quite attractive actors if I may add.

Overall the movie was definitely worth watching. This DVD will be added to my private collection shortly!

Not a bad movie, just bad execution

Author: user_49 from San Jose, CA
27 June 2004

Many elements of this movie weren't bad in concept. I can hardly fault the acting, campy style, special effects, or even the plot. Unfortunately, the movie fails in directing and editing, which trumps all the others.

For example, the plot is basically Species, but the writing was horrid, and the characters were not believable as a result. Are you going to believe that a college kid is still flirting with a space alien after he's seen tentacles? No.

Same for the special effects, the tentacle effects could have been great if they slowed them down by a factor of 10 or so. Again, just bad directing on that.

It all makes you wonder how the crew burned through $5 million; they certainly didn't pay the writing and editing crew anything.

Page 5 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]