IMDb > Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Page 18 of 58: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Typical Ferrell movie.

Author: Bruce722 from United States
28 December 2013

In typical Will Ferrell fashion, Anchorman combines childish and over-the-top humor with very crude and profane humor and delivers some really funny scenes. Where the film fails to deliver, however, is in anything remotely resembling a well developing plot. A anchorman is on top of the world, gets intimidated when his girlfriend becomes his co-anchor, gets fired for being an idiot, hits rock bottom, and then gets rehired after saving the day. There, that's the entire movie. The other 90 of the 94 minutes is the humor I was referring to. If you don't mind it, you'll find some laughs and probably find the film a worthwhile watch. If not, you'll likely wish you could get back that hour and a half. Personally, I find myself somewhere in the middle, but leaning more towards finding the laughs worthwhile. It's a good movie to watch and laugh at with friends, that's about it.

As Many Misses as Hits, but this Satire of the Seventies Still Proves its Point

Author: l_rawjalaurence from London
25 December 2013

Set during a period when men were men and women were ... just there, THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY looks at the lives of a crack local television news team headed by the eponymous hero (Will Ferrell). While spending their lives covering stories of astonishing banality, they believe they are the best at their various jobs: even Brick Tamland (Steve Carell) who can barely string two words together without the aid of an autocue. Their lives are thrown into chaos with the arrival of Vanessa Corningstone (Christina Applegate), who proves herself much superior in terms of television technique, while remaining strangely impervious to the team's sexist (and cringingly obvious) attempts to get her into bed. The scenario here is a familiar one, reminiscent of SWITCHING CHANNELS (1988), or more famously HIS GIRL Friday (1941) in which the newsroom becomes the arena for an analysis of sexual politics. Both director Adam McKay and Ferrell (who co-wrote the script) are concerned to show limited the opportunities for women are in professions historically deemed "male" (such as the media). But the film never takes itself too seriously, with joke after joke piling on top of one another, both visual and verbal. As Burgundy, Ferrell is both repellent yet attractive; we understand how his personality is determined by his television image - nothing exists underneath. By the end, however, even he has dimly become aware of the importance of changing his world-view so that he and Vanessa can work together harmoniously in the future.

Boring, and Seldom Humorous

Author: db-Mark from United States
23 December 2013

Hearing from friends that this movie was absolutely hilarious, I was really excited to finally sit down and watch it. However, throughout the film, I can honestly say that I don't think I laughed once (save for one or two of Steve Carell's parts). The humor was bland and the jokes were stale. In my opinion, Will Ferrell just wasn't funny in this movie.

I also found the plot to be extremely dull and uninteresting. Yes, I understand that this film was not intended to have a complex plot. However, the plot could have had more to it, and could have been less ridiculous.

All in all, I just don't understand how so many people find this movie funny. I guess I just don't have their sense of humor.

Incredibly Funny!!!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
23 December 2013

Will Ferrell and Adam McKay of "Saturday Night Live" recapture a bygone era of broadcast news history with their hopelessly juvenile but insanely hilarious comedy "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy." Once upon a time in television history, only men were allowed to deliver the news. Women had not yet broken the glass ceiling, and Christina Applegate as Veronica Corningstone creates chaos with her ambition to anchor the news desk. The action affectionately follows the shenanigans of a rating proved quartet. Ron (Will Ferrell), Brick Tamland (Steve Carrell), Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), and Champ (David Koechner) make up the triumphant Channel 4 News Team. Basically, this rude, crude, infantile farce draws its comic highlights primarily from Ferrell's straight-faced, over-the-top, zany performance. As the eponymous Ron Burgundy, Ferrell has a field day as a bubble-headed idiot with immaculate facial hair and a puffy coiffure. No less funny are his co-stars. Rudd and Koechner are solidly funny, but Carrell as a mentally challenged weatherman steals the show with his glassy-eyed look and demeanor. The confrontations between the Channel 4 News Teams and opposing teams from Channel 2 and Public News are funny and benefit from cameos ranging from Ben Stiller to Vince Vaughn to Tim Robbins. Other actors who contribute memorable cameos are Danny Trejo, Jack Black, and Luke Wilson. Bill Curtis adds a touch of class as the narrator. The erection is as goofy as the confrontation between Ron's dog Baxter and a bear. The belated sequel is just as funny.

Lame jokes, lame film

Author: Marinkovukovojac from United Kingdom
22 December 2013

I'm sure the people in this film had a great time. I mean they could see the funny side of recording for posterity a series of lame jokes in context of the thinnest of plots. If you close eyes and try to imagine the funny bits you will also be sadly disappointed. Fundamentally, Will Ferrell is not a funny person and just about all his films have the same story line jammed pack with banal unfunny script and the same character - himself. When he does interviews he's not funny as he's continues to play the same character. The set scenes, the fight scene, at the zoo etc are turgid and without any comedic imagination let alone wit. The thought that his could be homage to the early days of TV news presenters is just as ludicrous as any other explanation for the film. I strongly recommend Ferrell and Costner make a few movies together ( if they haven't already) - now that would be funny.

Very poor

Author: lone_wolf_fenrir from France
22 December 2013

This movie is just plain awful. Stupid jokes made for low IQ / 4 year old children, inconsistent acting and dumb plot make this even worse than some Z movies i've seen (and i've seen some pretty bad ones).

I can enjoy stupid jokes when done right, i mean, i really like Hot Shots, The Naked Gun or similar movies. But here, everything falls flat and most importantly, you get the feeling the movie is going anywhere trying to reach all kind of audiences and failing to actually reach any.

I have enjoyed movies with Will Ferrel but this is not one of them. This is just a very very bad movie i don't want to ever see again.

Ridiculous and Hilarious

Author: SnoopyStyle
14 December 2013

Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) leads a wacky top rated local news team in 1970s San Diego. Brash Champ Kind (David Koechner) does the sports. Mentally retarded Brick Tamland (Steve Carell) is the weatherman. Edgy ladies man Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd) does the on-field reporting. Then their channel hires the beautiful Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) for diversity sake.

I couldn't stop laughing. Everybody is hilarious in this especially the stupidity coming out of Steve Carell. Well let's face, it's all stupidity coming out of everybody. The jokes just never stops coming. Behind the laughter, there is the male chauvinist antics, and a quest for the network news anchor desk. The constant joking does wear thin in the section where Ron Burgundy gets Veronica Corningstone. I wonder if the chase and the conflict is funnier without the catching.

PS. You have got to love the Burt Reynolds Bandit blooper.

Anchorman tells the story of an idiot news team and their crazy adventures

Author: jakesmash14 from united states
13 November 2013

Anchorman is a movie about an idiotic news team and their crazy adventures ensuing the addition of a female member, veronica. The story starts with the news cast throwing a huge party for themselves because they are the highest rated news team in san diego. Ron burgundy (will ferrel) tries to seduce a pretty blonde woman, but is shot down. The next day, at work, the blonde woman that Ron was Trying to seduce has been added to the news casting team; her name is veronica. Many attempts by the whole newscasting team are made to seduce her, and she finally breaks down and goes on a date with Ron burgundy. They sleep together, and agree to keep the relationship a secret. Naturally, Ron states that they are in a relationship over the news.

After trying to solve a dispute with a man about his dog, Ron is late for work and is replaced on air by Veronica. This leads to them become very competitive. Eventually, they get into a physical fight and Ron is fired. Vernica feels horrible and tries to apologize but Ron wont listen. Soon, veronica ends up in a panda pit at the zoo and Ron and the team save her. The story ends with everyone finding their respective jobs and living happily ever after.

The movie could have used a lot more story and less rude humor, but then it wouldn't be a will ferrel movie. I thought that if you know will ferrel and like his style of humor, then this will be a great movie for you. It is funny, and i enjoyed it for whatt it was.

Over the top silly

Author: jackasstrange from United States
31 October 2013

This film is perhaps one of the silliest films ever made. Nothing in it can be taken serious or whats ever. There its just massive sequences of silly, childish and absurd scenes going on. Yeah, it's funny in about...60% of the time? But sure, there is nothing more added in this film. A strong critic against the TV News, perhaps?

Also, some jokes sounds way too forced and not funny at all (The famous 'Fart Jokes, frequently used in the Judd Apatow's works or related material). The characters are way too dumb and silly for my taste. This coming from a big fan of super-silly comedies. Seriously. It' almost tiring to see that much of cartoon-ish characters sharing the same place on the screen.

Yes, it has his Laugh out Load moments, more than one, guarantee. The cameos were remarkable moments as well. But this is all which you'll find funny in this film(Unless if you are a fan of this Judd Apatow kind of comedy, so you'll probably pee in your pants laughing). 6.9/10

What Might Have Been

Author: atlasmb from United States
9 October 2013

First let me mention what I like about this film. Christina Applegate was funny, beautiful, and spot on in her characterization. I also like the work of Fred Willard and Chris Parnell.

Many viewers have rated this comedy highly. I did not find the film that funny. This is a matter of taste. I just did not think some of the premises on which the comedy was based were that funny. And some of the gags were limp.

Let me give an example of something that I felt could have been better. Ron Burgundy is known to read anything that appears on the teleprompter. Great premise. But in the film, this comes up only twice--and in both cases, it's a one line joke that is rather mild. I can't help thinking that they could have had a blast having him read specious copy, probably at the hands of an enemy or a practical joker.

I also felt that when the film strayed into the absurd (ala Monty Python), it fell flat.

With the comedic talent involved, this film could have been so much more. I did enjoy parts of it. But I would not recommend it to others. Obviously, many viewers enjoy this film, but I have to give it a lukewarm rating.