IMDb > Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Page 1 of 58:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

This absurd comedy had to convince me...and somehow it did

Author: MaxJSteele from United States
23 January 2006

When Anchorman came into theaters, I avoided it like a dead sewer rat. When it came onto HBO, I pretended it didn't exist. In fact, I would not have even LOOKED at it had my remote control not stuck on the stupid channel. So I watched a few minutes. I didn't laugh. I wasn't surprised.

Then one day, surfing the premium movie channels, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the offerings. So I turned on Anchorman, about 5 minutes in. For the next hour and a half, I proceeded to laugh hysterically. Scene after scene, line after line, I found new reasons to laugh. By the end, I could hardly breathe.

Unconvinced that I had stumbled upon a a re-watchable movie, I tested and retested it over and over. And over. Result confirmed.

Anchorman tells a simple story: acclaimed (and consequently arrogant) news anchor Ron Burgundy is forced to adapt when an attractive new female member of the Channel 4 news team (Applegate) begins changing the way he and his quirky news team work. That's it. This story is predictable, prescription-esquire, boring. But Anchorman does not draw it's strength from story. It draws from the hilarious situations. It draws from randomness. It draws from brief--but memorable--cameos. It draws from those 100 or so unforgettable one-liners.

That is, if you're looking for cinema, for a fine work of craftsmanship, a eloquent script, and an Oscar nomination, go watch a FILM. If you find randomness hilarious, then watch this MOVIE.

The perfected art of being stupid

Author: Derek237 from Canada
9 March 2005

In a year packed with comedies that were all a bit stupid and silly (and all seemed to feature Ben Stiller), Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy reigns supreme above them all. This is a movie that is well aware of its own stupidity, and best of all, it is able to embrace it skillfully so that it is exactly as silly and immature as it wants to be. It is such a great comedy; I'd consider it the Naked Gun of our generation.

As apposed to many, many, other comedies, Anchorman actually gets better as it moves along. Most of the time a comedy like this will use up all the laughs in the first hour and then try to take a serious, lovey-dovey turn in the last act. There are more laughs in the last half hour than in the first half hour, which usually is never the case. It's as if there was some mathematical comedic formula that spread the laughs out in a way that it was consistently funny. Or, maybe they just got lucky. I dunno.

I loved all the characters in the movie, every role no matter how small had a great moment or two. Will Ferrel of course, the star of the movie who is just perfect as Ron. He's so so funny 'cause he's such a lovable idiot. Even Christina Appelgate, who was in a role that quite honestly anyone could have done, is able to make it her own and provide some laughs. There is a scene that has a lot of cameos that was hilarious as well. It was one of those moments that takes you completely by surprise.

So, what else can I say except that I loved Anchorman! It's the best "stupid" comedy I've seen in years. This is Will Ferrel at his best and it will be hard to top.

My rating: 9/10

Funny Anchorman

Author: jon.h.ochiai (jochiai@socal.rr.com) from Los Angeles, CA
13 July 2004

This summer I've seen several intentionally stupid funny movies, and enjoyed them. Adam McKay's "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" is no exception. Seems that my taste for high concept cinema has been influenced by the summer-- well not really. This movie written by McKay and it's star Will Ferrell is an outrageous and completely over the top comedy. Applaud Will Ferrell as the mind bendingly stupid and self absorbed, San Diego newscaster, Ron Burgundy. Will Ferrell is genius in playing Ron straight without character dispersions. Ferrell creates a great deadpan sense with his cohabiting dog, Baxter, and the fact that his character Ron Burgundy will read ANYTHING on the teleprompter, his tragic flaw, well at least one of several, is priceless. Ferrell also never crosses the line of being a complete jerk which is an amazing accomplishment. In fact, Ferrell gives Ron a muted charm-- he really does grow on you.

Basically, "Anchorman" is an extended sitcom. Ron is informed by his station manager, Ed (a funny Fred Willard), that he will have a co-anchor, Veronica Corningstone (a hot Christina Applegate). Turns out that Veronica was a woman whom was immune to Ron's vast charm at a wild news crew party. Veronica is beautiful, ambitious, and smart. She too has aspirations of being a Network Anchor. The Boys Club news crew which include sportscaster Champ Kind (David Koechner), feature story guy Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd), and the dumb as a post weatherman Brick Tamland (Steven Carell) all make their play for Veronica. However, she falls for Ron in spite of himself. Ron eventually woos her affections in a totally wacky jazz flute display. The screen writing is so skewed in a good way, and it has absolutely no shame. There is a classic scene with Ron's dog Baxter, and a bridge that according to my bud, John, shatters a fundamental script writing rule. In another memorable scene Ron gives an erroneous translation of the name San Diego to Veronica that is hilarious. "Anchorman" also benefits from cameos of talented actors, most notably Vince Vaughn as Wes Mantooth, the rival station anchor. Christina Applegate looks great, and truly has a talent for comedy.

"Anchorman" is completely over the top, and ignores any boundaries. That really makes it work. "Anchorman" is broad stroke farce done well. Will Ferrell demonstrates great comedic gifts. I want to see what he creates next. For now, "Anchorman" is just great fun, and very funny stuff.

Insipid, man

Author: ellyphunt (ellyphunt@hotmail.com) from baltimore, MD
25 January 2005

I was never as excited about this movie as my boyfriend was, mostly because I chalk Will Ferrell's humor up to the level of fratboy hijinx, sex jokes, and toilet humor. But I was willing to chill on the couch and watch the hour and a half comedy. I liked him okay on SNL, and I was mildly amused my Old School. I thought it would be a nice way to relax on a Monday night.

And relax I did...almost to the point of falling asleep. Not only were the jokes not funny, there were so few of them. Long periods of boring-ness separated the gags, which included, and I still cannot believe this, Will Farrell and Christina Applegate riding around on animated unicorns, Paul Rudd spraying on cologne that contained chunks of raw meat (panther), Luke Wilson getting his arm chopped off (not even worthy of the Monty Python memory it conjures up), and Will Farrell ACTUALLY EATING A PIECE OF FECES.

Have we come to this? Is this what's supposed to make us laugh now? Even the most quotable line from the movie, which the men in my life will not stop repeating, is "you smell like big foot's dick." Even that just isn't funny. (note: watch Napoleon Dynamite if you want some real quotable material.) The only redeeming qualities of the movie are Steven Carell and Jack Black's brief scene with Baxter, the dog. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. "Biker...Punted...Baxter" Save your time and your money on this one. I sure am glad I didn't have to pay to see it...

It's Summertime: Lighten Up and Laugh Without Guilt: No Thinking Necessary

Author: Ralph Michael Stein (riglltesobxs@mailinator.com) from New York, N.Y.
9 July 2004

The most devoted cineastes and the average hoi polloi moviegoers both need to kick back and laugh, without probing or analysis, at a goofball, outrageously funny comedy with zero depth. And that's exactly what director Adam McKay (also co-writer with star Will Ferrell) provides in "Anchorman." A very warm summer day, like today, was perfect for the quick gags and physical comedy of this nutty flick. Maybe it's even more of a relief for us folks who are still arguing with each other about "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "Control Room," documentaries that make us confront a difficult present and a tenuous future.

Will Ferrell is TV news anchor Ron Burgundy in 1970s San Diego. This is Pre-B.W. (Barbara Walters), a dark age when men reported the news almost exclusively. Burgundy, shallow and self-absorbed without redemption, chases skirts and is so genuinely stupid he reads ANYTHING on the teleprompter. His news crew consists of adulators and one misfit, Brick Tamland, played with unremitting mental blankness by Steve Carrell. Burgundy's dog is a delight, a pooch who can bark in a few languages.

The "Men's Club" is jolted by the station honcho's decision to add a woman to the newsroom, largely to appease the network satraps. He says it's necessary in the interests of "diversity," a word one staff member doesn't even understand. Enter pretty but tough Veronica Corningstone, Christina Applegate. Applegate makes what really is a tough comedic role work completely.

A misadventure by Burgundy results in Veronica's pinch-hitting chance to anchor the evening news. Veronica scores big time. She and Ron are already lovers and she expects him to be thrilled that his absence was her big break. No way and the rest of the film is Ron's Revenge and Veronica's Counterattack.

A subplot is the rivalry between Ron and his crew and the mobile news gatherers of competing stations. This ends in a donnybrook reminiscent of the silent film era having no rhyme or reason. The other stations' combatants are led by Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller and Tim Robbins. Robbins, one of the most intelligent and versatile personalities in film and stage today, should be watched closely. He almost loses his composure acting the zany script. Even Jack Black makes it into the flick as a dedicated junkie.

Don't miss the outtakes as the end credits role, especially Ferrell's last comment on what the movie really is.

Pure summer fun-laugh, be happy.

more a pleasant parody than a biting satire

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
3 September 2005

"Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" takes us back to those halcyon days of the 1970's, when the hair was as big as the lapels and women were just beginning to assume their rightful place in America's television newsrooms.

Will Ferrell plays a Ted Baxter-type anchorman (is it mere coincidence that his dog is named Baxter?) - vain, narcissistic, none too gifted in the brains department - who has worked for years as the sole news dispenser at a top-rated San Diego station. All is going well for Ron Burgundy until the station manager decides the newscast needs a bit more "diversity" and hires a female reporter named Veronica Cornerstone (Christina Applegate) to come on board. Cornerstone is a brainy, blow-dried blonde with a driving ambition to be the first female anchor on network news. Since most of the men who work at the station, including Burgundy, are dyed-in-the-wool misogynists, Ms. Cornerstone faces an uphill battle of sexist comments, schoolboy pranks, and subtle (and not so subtle) undermining as she climbs her way to the top (though she is not above pulling a few dirty tricks herself to get what she wants). Things really get dicey when Burgundy and Cornerstone begin dating and quickly fall in love, a situation rife with potential disaster as Cornerstone begins to encroach on Burgundy's professional territory.

"Anchorman" is a light-hearted, enjoyable little comedy that, unlike a full-throated satire (say, like "Network"), often goes for the easy laugh instead of the incisive barb. The movie is at its best when it is parodying the corny graphics and the tendency to over hype the trivial ("Panda Watch: Day 46") that define modern newscasts - and at its worst when it is indulging in silly, often scatological jokes and slapstick throw away bits. Like most mainstream comedies, the humor in "Anchorman" ranges from the mildly funny to the downright hilarious, the latter including a clever "West Side Story" parody involving a rumble between rival news teams, and a conversation between a dog and a bear that ends the movie on a ludicrous but knee-slapping high note.

Ferrell (who co-wrote the film) is his usual manic self, unctuous but likable, and Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, David Koechner, and Fred Willard do fine work in supporting roles. Moreover, writer/director Adam McKay provides a smattering of guest appearances from such well known stars as Jack Black, Luke Wilson, Tim Robbins, Vince Vaughn, Jerry Stiller and even Ben Stiller, many of who are not listed in the official credits.

"Anchorman" goes down easily - a bit too easily, perhaps, for a film that, with a little more courage, might have become a scathing satire on an industry that could do with a little merciless skewering right about now. Still, "Anchorman" is fun while it lasts - and these days we'll settle for what we can get when it comes to laughs.

This movie is good. Hey everyone, come and see how good this movie is.

Author: belowzero8 from United States
7 December 2007

My favorite movie ever. Its Will Ferrel up to his usual shenanigans. I laughed the entire way through this movie, so much that I had to see it a second time to catch all of the jokes. The reason I like it so much, is that its such an easy movie to quote.

If you like low level humor that can be crude at times, this one is for you. Do not expect a super plot or a twist, its a comedy. You will laugh so hard you will get that feeling that you cannot breath.

The movie features comedy all stars like Will Ferrel, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, and David Coechner who team up together and make a perfect comedy team in this classic comedy.

Unfunny and forced

Author: scientology_is_gay from Six feet unda
5 April 2005

May contain spoilers. Word of advice: Don't see this movie. I saw the previews for it and they convinced me that it was hilarious. Anyway, I like Will Ferrell, so I went to go see it in the theatres. I don't know why I didn't walk out. There was absolutely no plot. I had no idea what was going on. 90% of the movie is literally just Will Ferrell, Steve Carell and some other people standing around in tacky suits shouting nonsensical, unfunny phrases at the top of their lungs. The actors clearly think that they're the funniest people on the planet and they couldn't be farther from the truth. At the end of the movie the writers suddenly remember this is supposed to be a movie and not random clips of the actors goofing off in front of the camera, so Christina Applegate gets trapped in a bear cage or something, Will Ferrell saves her, the end. Or something.

Wow, that was bad (very slight spoiler).

Author: Oneiric from Rochester, New York, USA
17 July 2004

My expectations were low. I've liked Will Ferrell's brand of soft-edged mania well enough in the past, but not enough to go see a movie just because he's in it. I went because I remember San Diego in the 1970's, and even the network news in that sleepy city in that era.

As I say, my expectations were low, and I was still very disappointed. I realize it's the 14-year-old inside this was aimed at, not my 41-year-old outside -- but I know a lot of teenagers, and none of them are stupid enough to enjoy this. The script was atrocious, even when you're not bothering to score for plot. Most of the jokes and set pieces were lame -- even "Afternoon Delight" fell flat.

The performances were no better. Will Farrell was not much more than present. I've seen him show more heart in SNL sketches, or even as the cop on the trail in the Jay and Silent Bob movie. Fred Willard, so brilliant in Best in Show, looked sad and tired. Most strangely, the comedy casting at the center was deeply flawed. Two of the three sidekicks were worthless: just...not...funny. Not even for one second. Steve Carell was funny, or at least absurd, for about five seconds.

You know you're watching a bad movie when the senseless cameos and animal dialogs are the only things you can summon up as enjoyable memories. Waste no money or time on this turkey!

The bomb.com!

Author: ThomasABridgman from United States
10 September 2005

As I sit and watch Anchorman for what must be the 1000th time, I can't help but ask myself; WHY? Well, the answer is simple. This movie freaking rocks! It boasts an unbelievable amount of one-liners that I am spouting constantly. It could quite possibly become the most often quoted movie ever. Will Ferrell's over-the-top performance, along with other cast members equally daring acts, makes you wonder how much of the movie was scripted, and how much was ad-lib. All of the characters support each other so well, that it is nearly impossible not to have a favorite line from each one.

I am not a fan of all of Ferrell's movies (especially Kicking and Screaming), but this one will be near the top of my list for years to come, I'm sure.

Because, as we all know, 'Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!'

Page 1 of 58:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]