IMDb > Salt (2003/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Salt More at IMDbPro »

Slow Moving and Beautiful like an Icelandic Glacier

Author: alexduffy2000 ( from Hollywood, USA
21 June 2003

Salt is an interesting film with a small cast filmed in two towns in Iceland. At times the film really drags, but then gets back on track with some of the limited plot elements, or with shots of the Icelandic scenery. Basically, there are three characters, Hildur (the younger sister), Svava (the older sister), and Aggi, Svava's boyfriend. The film centers around Hildur and Aggi stranded after their car breaks down in a small town, and the complications that ensue. It's great to watch for a while, but then it really starts to drag.

I saw this at the IFP LA Film Festival on June 20, 2003. Bradley Rust Gray (the director), Yong Kim So (the producer), and Anne Misawa (the cinematographer) were there to answer questions. Gray revealed that much of the dialogue was improvised, and frequently one actor would be given lines, and the other would have to come up with their own reaction. Additionally, Misawa revealed that a 3-chip digital camera was generally used for scenes with more than one actor, and a cheap 1-chip camera was used for scenes with just one actor on screen, these were filmed by the actors, without the presence of Gray, So, or Misawa, and added into the film later. It all looks very good on the screen, though at times it seems like someone's home movies of their vacation in Iceland.

It's a good effort and is worth seeing if you're into this sort of movie. Brynja Thora Gudnadóttir as Hildur is especially good, considering that she's never acted in a film before. If the story had been a little stronger, this could have been a great film. (Note: This is not a Dogme 95 "Vows of Chastity" film, but natural lighting and hand-held cameras are very prevalent.)

Rich with emotion. Immersive and compelling.

Author: Minnie from Koh Samui, Thailand
23 June 2003

This film is not so much about the story, or even about the characters that populate its world. Rather, it captures a moment in time and the emotions of the people who are passing through it.

The 'characters' never seem contrived because they're just people, like ones you've met, maybe a close friend or a family member. The viewer feels present during the dialogue, partly because of the cast seems so comfortable in front of the camera, and partly because of the intimate shooting style.

Don't look for any glitz or glamour in this film, just emotional honesty and a glimpse of world that's nothing like your own, and yet somehow the same. See it. Don't be afraid.

Author: allleeeycat from United States
28 June 2006

I enjoyed this movie but at the same time it did drag on a bit and at the end I was left wondering. I did not like generally like the ending but I have seen this movie many times now and love it.Its mainly about a girl who it stuck with her sisters boyfriend while on their way to move in with her sister. Hildur is the main focus in this film and does very well. The scenery is great along with Brynja Thora Gudnadóttir and Davíð Örn Halldórsson. I think the film could have been longer and with more dialect. I liked this film cause I have always wanted to live in Iceland and learn Icelandic. And they do very well in capturing the coldness and blankness Iceland seems to have there.