IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 45: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Already "forgotten", conspiracy theories 101 with Julianne Moore

Author: Pulp from Pennsylvania
28 February 2005

Stupid twist on a already redone premise about a mother (Moore) who after the supposed death of her son begins to lose her mind. Dr. Jack Munce (Sinise, in a rather bland term) tell her that Sam was never real she had a miscarriage. Now Telly is out to prove that Sam was real and she won't stop at any means necessary to find the truth. Director Joseph Ruben directs "The Forgotten" written by Gerald DiPego. And DiPego really does the same old cliché' act over and over with the same old twists. And even the villain Linus Roache has no true meaning to the film his crafty character is nearly obsolete and plays a small role into the deviant plot story. Truly forgettable (no pun intended).

Should be Forgotten

Author: miken-3 (kataman1@verizon.net) from United States
26 February 2005

I am trying to think of something positive to say about this movie and I can't. The makers couldn't decide what they wanted to do and the movie is a total mishmash that leaves you shaking your head in the end.

A woman remembers seeing her son off on a plane and him dying in a crash with a friend's daughter that she knew from the playground. Nobody else seems to remember him and all traces of his existence seem to have been wiped out.

When she comes upon her "friend" he has also forgotten that both their children ever existed. The woman forces him to remember his daughter and then he decides to help her. The movie implodes from that point on and not even Alfre Woodard can save it. It seems like the director thought he was making another Matrix type movie whereas he was making a mishmash that couldn't decide whether everything was caused by aliens, gods, magic, or what. Don't bother with this one.

Waste of time

Author: Sajjan J from United States
29 January 2005

This is one of those movies that has a great start, but a very vague ending leaving the viewers wondering what the movie was all about. I think the writer had this initial part of the story in mind, but didn't know how to end. A total disaster and an absolute waste of time. I realized that only after I watched the whole movie, because until the end, you would have this feeling that this movie might have a great ending. My advise... don't watch it, even if you love Julianne Moore.

It starts with Julianne Moore being totally depressed about losing her son in an airplane crash. Soon after, everyone is trying to make her forget that her son ever existed. There is this other guy who is also facing a similar situation. When they are just about to learn the truth, they are whisked away into the sky all of a sudden. Julianne Moore's hubby also denies even knowing her later. For some reason, the feds are behind Julianne and this other guy. Then there is this guy involved, who doesn't die even if he is shot at. He is sucked into the sky for some reason in the end, 'cuz he did not succeed in some silly experiment. After all this, Julianne's son is back out of the blue.

More like the recycle bin.

Author: Mecah (dumpdove@hotmail.com) from United States
22 January 2005

The forgotten is about a woman who is mourning the loss of her child, fourteen months after his death, personal anguish is her only mourning ability, the movie centers on this woman after she slowly finds that everything revolving around the existence of her child is disappearing.

The cinematography is good; the Gray/blue darkened atmosphere, like in Fight Club or The Ring. But that is not where the similarities end. Dialogue and drama are two of the weakest points, especially, during the first hour, which is like watching a giant CSI/Beautiful Mind/X-files crossover, and Mulder and Scully are the two featured stars. This made the film so dull that you could predict who would say what because of the given situation, you just wanted them to move along and not tangle in words.

Sometimes the movie tugs along slowly; hanging onto emotions and receiving the same anguish trip MOORE than twice. The entire films metaphor is revealed in a blunt and simple manner in the end, making a lot of scenes useless, all in all it could've been a better 30 minute TV special then a box office film.

(Heavy Spoiler)

Plot holes, and realism, their portrayal of the authorities and big agencies like the NSA is pitiful. NSA can work with full knowledge of E.T.'s, but no one else.

(End)

Moore is not bad, everything else is. 4/10

Silly

Author: misko14 from Sweden
15 January 2005

This movie consists of two parts. The first 30 minutes or so, are quite entertaining and create a creepy paranoia mood.

However, the next hour of this flick is just plain silly. I don't really know where to start. The main plot that was presented in so interesting way in the beginning of Forgotten turns out into an X-Files episode with an extremely annoying ending.

Additionally, at the end of the movie no sufficient (logically) explanation is given to the happy ending.

Forgotten is a messy blend of Fugitive and X-Files. My suggestion is to view the first 30 minutes of the movie and then fantasize the ending. There is a huge chance that it will be better than the existing plot in Forgotten.

My credits go however to J Moore for a brilliant performance.

A rehash of old ideas

Author: Tord S Eriksson from Gothenburg, Sweden
2 January 2005

Take a Fifties film about abductions and add a few contemporary actors, like Julianne Moore, Gary Sinise and Dominic West (who was for me a new, very impressive, actor), plus a heap of good supporting actors and we come very close to the heart of this film.

What gave the game away was the fact that government officials, in the form of NSA agents, worried about one woman who refused to forget her missing son. As usual the aliens are a wee bit stupid, if superman-stuff otherwise, as usual there is a few who battle valiantly against the odds, but usually, the aliens don't succumb or, die, just the "guy" in charge of the operation gets fired, so to speak.

And the aliens continue to rule Earth as they want, with the world's governments their willing assistants.

So while the acting, lighting, props and the rest were excellently done, the story was all so old, but with variations of course! It would have been much scarier, for instance, if the bulletproof alien hadn't been present everywhere, and if the official reaction had been more normal.

Pretty good, but not a film I will long to see a second time.

What a shame.

Author: funkyfry from Oakland CA
15 November 2004

*********SPOILERS**********

This movie is bad. Not funny bad, just bad. First of all, you have to really wrap your head around the story to figure out what's happening, but the characters are so foolish and pointless that there's really no incentive to do so.

I don't remember there being a single "scary" scene in the movie. Mostly it was just the stars' running around looking confused like the audience. The end of the movie should have answered all the questions and also given the audience some cool visuals or something. Sorry, none of the above, really.

Like a bad episode of the X-Files drawn out to an hour and a half.

Beginning Good Ending Sucks (Spoilers)

Author: Nate Luken (NRLGriffey) from Dayton, OHIO
31 October 2004

Through the first half of the movie I was intrigued with this movie and it was very suspenseful, and all of a sudden this somewhat realistic movie turned into a weird alien flick. This movie could have been a whole lot better. The ending was totally forced and the viewer has no more of a clue about what happened in the end as they do halfway through the movie. If they would have stuck with the realism it would have been a good movie. I did love the special effects, especially when the NSA SUV rams the side of the car and when the detective got sucked into the sky. The movie could have just as easily ended with the government performing the study or covering up the plane crash for reasons of National Securtiy, as it did with aliens experimenting with human life. I just can't get over how stupid the ending is. As for the acting, it was superb, Gary Sinise is one of my all time favorites and I think Moore, him, and the rest of the supporting cast did a great job. I would give it a C-, 5/10, 2/5 stars, something around there.

Just 'Forget' it.

Author: silentcheesedude from Florida, USA
28 October 2004

What does one do when your memories are erased? What does one do when a part of your life is taken away? Go to therapy, try to trust people again, and cry a lot. That's what Julianne Moore does, as she whines through what seems a painful script not fit for her. Or even most of the actors in this movie.

Starting off as a frantic look in what possibly could be a frightful take at the human mind, and what it is capable of doing,(alternate realities, imaginary friends) The Forgotten ends up trashing itself, long before the conclusion.

Most of the trailers that I watched for this movie end up giving away some of it's conclusion anyway, which I won't spoil, but needless to say, you would have to have your brain turned off to appreciate anything beyond the middle of the film.

Minor Spoilers ahead (but I won't spoil the ending):

Adding government conspiracy and getting loopholes in too many corners of the script pretty much gives the red-herring syndrome, the trouble is, your NOT SUPPOSED to KNOW they are red-herrings. You do in here, and it doesn't help the script any, which I may add, is written by Gerald Dipego, master of garbage treats like Angle Eyes,& Message in a Bottle. And does anyone remember The Good Son?

End of Minor useless Spoilers.

Lately it's become a 'necessity' to add twists in films. Joseph Ruben, the director, has no idea how to do this. Given the mediocre script, I don't blame him. But he just hasn't had a good film in ages, has very little films in his line up, and most of them perform poorly at the box office. He CAN direct tight action sequences, and some of his suspense films aren't bad, it's just that he probably should stick to non-brain films. Oh, wait, this isn't a brain film.

Just forget The Forgotten

Ahhh, I forgot, wait... oh yea, It was better than I expected!

Author: Tony Muckleroy from Houston, TX
27 October 2004

OK I have to say up front, I am not a Moore fan. Am I supposed to like her because of her stage performances or something? Sorry I'm not that complex.

I just watch movies, in fact I don't like to read books, because they always ruin the movie for me. ;o)

"The Forgotten" nice movie. I guess I figured out what the primary plot was about half way through the movie. I was disappointed that the special effects were almost nil. Still a good story will go much farther that a butt-load of special effects. This is a good story, however it would have been nice to understand a little more about, ahhh, well see the movie and you'll know where I'm going with this.

Good movie, good ending, except I wanted a little more of an explanation at the end.