IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 44: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

so bad it made me want to puke

Author: David Gates (blueleftshoe) from ohio
15 October 2004

How anyone in there right mind could even call this movie alright is beyond me. I had to force myself to stay in the theater to watch this trash. I didn't expect anything great but this is just pathetic. There was no suspense and really the only scares where of the cheap variety where something unexpected startles you.

Here's what the movie is about pretty much. A mother loses her child in a plane crash and is still having trouble dealing with it 14 months later. She talks to a psychiatrist blah blah blah. People around her start forgetting she had a child and tell her she was making the whole story up. She comes across an ex-hockey player who also lost his child in the same wreck but he had forgotten until she reminded him. Some government agency is after them while some cop lady is trying to figure out what's going on. I guess it turns out some aliens or something supernatural is behind it even though it's never made clear. It does like to suck people to god knows where though. It turns out they are doing an experiment to see how strong a mothers love is and if they can forget their child. Yes a completely dumb experiement of intelligent life? In the end because she doesn't forget her life just magically goes on as if nothing ever happened in the first place. She just smiles and acts as if nothing happens.

Who wrote this crap... lets just hope this is the last movie they ever make.

???

Author: flipflopfetish from San Fransisco, California
14 October 2004

The Forgotten started out pretty well. It was a good idea. I like horror movies, and I thought that a freaky plot with someone's children being 'forgotten' by everyone except for the main character would be really cool. In the beginning, it was. Julianne Moore did a really good job playing a mother who might be deranged, when she forgets where she parked her car, or where she had coffee. And Anthony Edwards did a good job playing the drunk single guy sitting on a swing. But once the car crash happened, it sort of went from being a really scary movie to a BANG movie, where there are loud noises and you are surprised, but not really scared. And then, when people started being sucked into the air, well, that just ruined it. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that The Forgotten had the potential to be a really good movie, but the writers/ directors just changed their minds about it.

Distracted by boom microphones.

Author: Cameron Curwood from Kitchener, Ontario
12 October 2004

A great drinking game for this movie (when it appears on DVD): Every time you see a boom mic, take a drink!

The movie was OK, at times, but mainly predictable and clichéd, but perhaps I did not really notice, since I was noticing and seeing microphones everywhere... then was distracted by watching other people in the theatre notice them and point laughing.

Maybe it would be better to drink before the movie, so that way you can get through it without worrying about paying the money for a sloppily made movie.

I gave it a 5 out of 10... it was OK at times and had potential but in general was inadequate.

96 minutes that should be Forgotten

Author: d_art from LA Area
27 September 2004

The story centers around a woman (Julianne Moore) who has recurring memories of her son (who everyone says did not exist). As she digs around more, she finds herself in... well, cliché-land, or more precisely, lazy cliché-land. (I don't know if saying more will spoil the movie since there's not much more to the movie to begin with). To the movie's credit, there are about two or few scenes where people will jump (or have a heart attack) because of sudden loud burst of sound accompanied by whichever "shocking" event is happening. I personally don't like these kind of "jump" tactics unless the movie had some weight in other areas (like characterization and plot, for example) Unfortunately this movie is lacking in those other areas. Plot doesn't really honestly lead to anywhere new, much of the dialogue were laughable (or at least much of the audience were laughing at the silliness of it), if not overly repetitive (honestly, how many times do we have to be reminded of Julianne Moore's attachment to her son?). Is there anything else interesting about Julianne Moore's character? The conclusion (slight spoiler) turn out to be a huge let-down as the movie-makers did not even bother to make sense of the logic of the movie (and what's the purpose of this experiment?) in any way or even explain what's REALLY going on. It might've been easier just to say the main character was on drugs the whole time. The whole memory-loss idea has several origins from Dark City, except of course Dark City is much more better and infinitely more entertaining. My overall impression of the movie? Ouch. 3/10

Forget It

Author: erick205 from Bay Area, CA
26 September 2004

The initial preview looked interesting and after reading a review that claimed "better than the Sixth Sense", we decided to see "The Forgotten". However, after all was said and done, we wish we would have decided to "Forget It".

The problems we found with the movie were many, including but not limited to:

* Characters undeveloped enough to care about. * Forced and laughable dialog. * Poor scripting that left otherwise strong actors with little to work with. * An overtness to the "impending doom" that left nothing to the imagination. In this case, my

imagination could have done a better job. * A treacle-rich Hollywood ending that just leaves you groaning.

About the only redeeming quality of this movie is the few time it catches with you with your guard down and surprises you enough to jump. All in all though, not enough to save this stinker.

At best this could have been a VERY mediocre episode of X-Files.

Forget It

Author: erick205 from Bay Area, CA

The problems we found with the movie were many, including but not limited to:

*SPOILERS* Stay away *SPOILERS*

Author: Matt Rivenbark (matt@pipeline.com) from United States
26 September 2004

Do all your friends a favor -- ruin the "twist" to this movie (if it can be called that) as quickly as possible so they don't get suckered into the hype of the movie.

I'm not quite ready to acknowledge that this one has a true twist in the plot because it becomes pretty obvious early in the movie, in the form of that haunting voice in the back of your head that slows down for car wrecks thinking "oh no, I hope they're not gonna turn to aliens." Too bad. Our prayers -- and any hope that this movie could be salvaged as an interesting psychological thriller -- are quickly tossed aside.

I can't even be convinced that the filmmakers were taking this one seriously. Everybody knows that Mel Gibson took the line "Give me back my son" off the market for missing kid movies. I was hoping that they wouldn't resort to using it, but sure enough, they blew that one too. On what planet would an obvious reference to a much better movie be missed?

I'm sure TNT will pick this one up in a year or so and run it 8 times a day for a month. Hold out until then to watch this one.

Too much movie for the plot

Author: Lukizaladi from Round Rock, TX
25 September 2004

The concept was interesting, however the movie dragged and seemed to be filling time in some scenes. I used the restroom DURING the movie, came back and hadn't missed a thing. Although Julianne Moore gave a good portrayal of a mother recovering from a horrible loss, I felt this was one of the few effective parts of the film. I felt there was no real support for the plot; to reinforce the concept, which in effect created a facile ending. "The Forgotten" reminded me more of a "made for TV" movie with consistent reinforcement of the plot basis. I evaluate movies as: a "good rental" or "theater" movie...this one wouldn't hit "good" on the "rental". "The Forgotten" may be a movie to watch when you tend to catnap through films.

Forget Forgotten

Author: DP-4 from Exton, PA
25 September 2004

What a disappointment. I read some great IMDb reviews and prepared myself for a great thriller with a shock ending. I guess I will need to keep waiting for a film that delivers this.

If you saw the trailer for the movie then you pretty much know exactly what this film is about. There are no surprises in the film whatsoever. As for suspense, you get a marginal amount of that, and then are totally unshocked at the end.

This should have been a made-for-TV film that aired on the SciFi Channel. It is not worthy of the big screen. This film was a total waste of $7. I now see why Nicole Kidman passed up the lead role. She knows how to avoid movies that suck.

-- DP.

forget this one!

Author: vie324 from Portland, Maine
25 September 2004

The first half of "The Forgotten" plays with ambiguity: is Telly mad or isn't she? This part of the movie is quite interesting. Julianne Moore does a great job looking as though she is at wit's end, forgetting the most everyday things like where she parked her car, and whether or not she just finished drinking a cup of coffee.

As soon as it begins to reveal the "terrifying" truth, however, "The Forgotten" becomes embarrassingly ridiculous. One pivotal scene which was clearly expected to startle and frighten us, instead had the audience roaring with laughter--not surprising when you borrow your special effects from Mary Poppins! I can't for the life of me understand why actors as talented as Julianne Moore and Gary Sinese would waste their time on this one...