IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 44: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Tinkle Music

Author: richard_dowell-1 from United States
13 April 2005

Although I enjoyed watching The Forgotten especially with its introverted paranormal aspect I was annoyed by the for-the-children tinkle music. It really got on my nerves to the point of distraction.

I did however enjoy the performances and even the story was developed enough. The only other item that bothered me was when Ash and the Friendly Man fell out the window and it was very unclear which one went up and which one went down as this was very important to the plot. I looked at it fifteen ways till Sunday as I have the DVD and I could only make a guess because they were dressed very similarly and yet the angle of the way they started to fall and the way they were falling was of some help. I can also make a logical guess but by then the scene moves on.

Over all I did like the movie. Julianne Moore was never lovelier so it was worth seeing.

Man alive do I hate tinkle music. In this movie it is non stop. I'm taking a look at Paycheck right now with Ben Affleck and Uma Thurman. There is a light violin that introduces the moment Ben's character gazes upon Uma's lovely eyes that slides in delicately to introduce Uma's character like Mozart's 40th - with subtlety and thought. I didn't hear any tinkle music to ruin anything.

inspired by Twilight Zone episode?

Author: FWheel15 from United States
6 April 2005

I just recently saw the Twilight Zone episode "And When the Sky Was Opened" and I must say, definite correlations between this and the movie. If only the movie had been done in the same unique way it seems only Rod Serling is capable of delivering. Sometimes, I think it's best to leave some conclusions to the imagination instead of bumbling through an out-of-nowhere discovery just to give your audience answers. I think this movie could be used as an example of how sometimes it's better not to show us everything and/or explain everything, which more than not, will creep us out more. Special effects are great and all, but how necessary was people blowing out through the tops of buildings into the sky necessary? And, more importantly, I think we as an audience do not crave and need a "happy" ending at the finale of a movie in order to make it an enjoyable experience. Just ask Rod Serling.

To be forgotten

Author: Kareninysimba from Tucson, AZ
3 April 2005

In her long lasting mourning because of her lost son, Mrs. Paretta (particular selection for a name, huh?) keeps her son memories very much alive after more that a year of his disappearance. One not special day, all of her material memories start changing: pictures disappear or modified, all of the sudden nobody remembers anything of her son, not even her husband, the very robotic Anthony Edwards. Although she keeps recalling her son very vividly, there are no clues of why she does it and everybody else don't. I guess there are interesting clues developed about this fact later on during the movie. Unfortunately, I particularly didn't catch them if there is any. She joins efforts with the father of another disappeared kid along with her son. Aliens start to be major suspects here without a plausible or natural reason and spectacular abductions occur during these people search for the truth. Unlike major special effects movies, here the abduction where major part of the trailers, being the top spectacular scenes in the movie itself, so the reaction is "Oh yeah.. that was in the trailer..." In the search of "her son". Mrs Paretta (Julianne Moore) says "I want my son back" and "Where is my son" so many times that at some point I wished her son never showed up, and now I've been waking up in the middle of the night shouting "I WANT MY SON BACK!". The dialog is mediocre all the way, excessively naive and repetitive, many time falls in the ridicule and absurd (see the "Memorable Quotes" page and you'll understand). Repited scenes of her son, recalled by her, coming once and again, and over and over again is actually tiring! The phrase "my son" I believe is approximately 90% of the script. I think the director had no clear idea on how to establish the actions among the characters, I got the sensation that their movements, actions and reactions were many times random and loose. There's a particular scene almost at the end, with broken windows, that totally spontaneously produced a strong loud laugh in me, I couldn't help it. There is too an annoying noise when aliens are near or influencing the scene that sounds like worms and termites fighting inside a decomposing body.

I personally strongly wish the aliens come, abduct me and erase this movie from my mind, make me forget I watched it, and thus it become a forgotten movie in my life.

Something's missing somewhere. Not very cohesive.

Author: Lee Bartholomew (sage_patrynxx@cfu.net) from Cedar Falls, IA
29 March 2005

I can't entirely place it. I think perhaps it's very poor directing on whoever got stuck with this script. I'm giving this review coming from the slant of the directors cut. Since the theatrical version made no sense towards the end.. But even at that, the directors cut still leaves you with more questions than answers. And what happened to Anthony?

I actually think that who ever created the plot musta been watching Dark City.... totally forgot he was watching it and wrote this silly script out thinking the idea was his (or hers). I wouldn't call this scary, more like a major headache. As your wondering exactly what it was you saw. The running time of the extended version is of question. The blank at the end shows 11 minutes of credits, but after awhile thinking something was wrong with the DVD player... they really musta hard wired the DVD ROM into making the DVD players around go haywire trying to skip to and fro to actually use the extended version. There had to have been a better way to do that.

Oh well, if you wanna loose 90 minutes of your life to a movie that'll continue to bug you as to what it was you saw (who were they? never was explained) go right on. As for me. YUCK!!!

Quality: 2/10 Entertainment: 5/10 Replayable: 1/10

How did this Screenplay get produced?

Author: Fred Dames from Canada
16 March 2005

This movie is based entirely on the premise of someone having their child erased with no character development or plot to speak of. That might work if you're Rod Serling and you're trying to make a 22 minute script for TV but it always fails as a rule for the Big Screen.

What was the point of the Anthony Edwards character? The only indication that they ever had a relationship at all was that they had the kid together. If their marriage went bad, go on ahead and WRITE THAT INTO THE FILM. As it stands, they just seem like strangers who are together for the lone sake of giving Moore a child to forget.

And if you're going to make the kid the central point of Moore's existence, WRITE SOME SCENES FOR HIM. A meaningful flashback, the present from his POV, anything.

If you're going to write an alcoholic character, you have to make some attempt to make that plausible to an audience. Aside from the two scenes where they talk about alcoholism, the character seems otherwise unaffected by this disorder - being lucid enough to think his way through this conspiracy and fight off multiple NSA agents with his bare hands. We have to be constantly reminded that he has a drinking problem by having him walk around sober with a bottle in his hand. It insults the intelligence of the audience and leads nowhere in the story.

The whole plot line about alcoholism {if you can call it that} is just a device to give the Moore character something other to say aside from "Don't you remember my son?"; "Where is my son?"; "We have to find my son.", etc.

Don't write sub-plots that overshadow your main story: Don't spend half-an-hour having the Police and NSA chase your main characters around for nothing and then spend 5 minutes at the end trying to work in an alien-experimentation angle that has nothing to do with the rest of the story. This isn't suspenseful, it's annoying and fragmented {in retrospect, the scene between Alfre Woodard and the NSA agent add nothing to the plot or the main characters - they just eat up film, pushing the length of the movie closer and closer to the required length of a feature film}

Hard to say anything but "mediocre"

Author: rogerm_59
15 March 2005

After a slow start, the movie grabs you as the questions start popping up left and right. But then it plods along with OK acting, dialog, cinematography, directing to an ending that suggests much more power held by the friendly man and his colleagues than the question in their experiment would suggest. If they could make all the necessary changes -- first to support the experiment, then to undo it for the ending we're given -- their abilities are way beyond the question posed on the experiment. It would be like NASA not yet understanding what makes a '68 Ford Mustang work. Even with our emotional attachment to the Stang, as science, it's pretty simple.

The movie is about a mother (Julianne Moore) that has a hard time moving on after her son's death.

Author: Rainne from United States
6 March 2005

Every day she follows a routine that involves going into her son's room and thinking about him, but then she starts to have memory lapses that everyone attributes to her post-trauma. She starts to feel like someone is trying to make her forget, her psychiatrist tries to convince her she's nuts, but in reality she's on the trail of a mystery that revolves around her son's death. The film had a lot of potential due to Julianne Moore in the lead and what seemed to be a thriller with a twist type of movie. However, I found it rather anti-climatic. The film, in my opinion, lacked conflict. Everything seemed to fall into place rather conveniently and the "twist" was unfullfilling. The resolution is somewhat simple and, again, anti-climatic.

Do not waste your money or time on this one

Author: aireneme from United States
28 February 2005

The only reason I didn't give this movie a 1 out of 10 is because I wanted to give whoever thought of the story one point for effort (even thought it was a REALLY bad attempt). The Forgotten was a horrible attempt at a thriller. The plot didn't make sense, yet I understood everything that happened (meaning, it wasn't rocket science but there were several holes in the story). It was a cute idea that wasn't elaborated on thoroughly enough so the outcomes don't connect well. Life is short. Don't waste the time watching, renting, or sitting in complete anger that this movie would provide. Seriously. DO NOT. I want my 3.79 back that I paid at the video store PLUS the .2 miles of gas to get there.

Already "forgotten", conspiracy theories 101 with Julianne Moore

Author: Eazy91 from Pennsylvania
28 February 2005

Stupid twist on a already redone premise about a mother (Moore) who after the supposed death of her son begins to lose her mind. Dr. Jack Munce (Sinise, in a rather bland term) tell her that Sam was never real she had a miscarriage. Now Telly is out to prove that Sam was real and she won't stop at any means necessary to find the truth. Director Joseph Ruben directs "The Forgotten" written by Gerald DiPego. And DiPego really does the same old cliché' act over and over with the same old twists. And even the villain Linus Roache has no true meaning to the film his crafty character is nearly obsolete and plays a small role into the deviant plot story. Truly forgettable (no pun intended).

Should be Forgotten

Author: miken-3 (kataman1@verizon.net) from United States
26 February 2005

I am trying to think of something positive to say about this movie and I can't. The makers couldn't decide what they wanted to do and the movie is a total mishmash that leaves you shaking your head in the end.

A woman remembers seeing her son off on a plane and him dying in a crash with a friend's daughter that she knew from the playground. Nobody else seems to remember him and all traces of his existence seem to have been wiped out.

When she comes upon her "friend" he has also forgotten that both their children ever existed. The woman forces him to remember his daughter and then he decides to help her. The movie implodes from that point on and not even Alfre Woodard can save it. It seems like the director thought he was making another Matrix type movie whereas he was making a mishmash that couldn't decide whether everything was caused by aliens, gods, magic, or what. Don't bother with this one.