IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 45: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

should I complain about the dumb script or the lackluster storytelling first?

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
31 August 2005

What do you do when you come up with a cool premise for a movie and can't come up with any credible way to implement it? You make a movie like The Forgotten.

It starts off well enough, as a grieving mother discovers no one believes she had a son. That's swell, and when the movie is mysterious about what is going on it somewhat holds your interest. But the solution to the mystery seems absurd. This doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't have worked - a lot of movies has ridiculous stories told so well that you don't really mind - but the movie fails to make itself convincing, perhaps because it offers none of those tantalizing hints that make an explanation, when it comes, make you say, of course, it's so obvious. Instead the first time you hear it you think, oh no, is that really what this movie is about? But The Forgotten is as much a failure for what it lacks as for the dumb things it contains. The leads are bland and grimly serious and there is little life in any of it. The movie screams out for a counterpoint in an interesting minor character. The most obvious choice would be Alfre Woodard's cop, but she is almost devoid of personality, like everyone in the film. Obviously there is no rule in film making that you need quirky characters, or moments of quiet in which the lead characters say interesting, insightful things, but if you're going to make a movie with a really stupid story it's a good idea to balance that out with a little flair.

Basically watchable, if you're not in a demanding mood, but so bland that in a month I won't even remember why I didn't like this movie, or even that it exists.

Mother defeats god-like aliens with ... LOVE.

Author: mg! from Middle America
30 July 2005

Forgotten is everything I was warned about. Intriguing until the awful ending. Because of the Sixth Sense, its fun to look for another but doubtful we will anytime soon. In the meantime we stretch our imagination a bit more, forgive plot convenience, and lower our expectations throughout the movie - but never the ending.

In a movie like Forgotten, it's not what but how and why. The movie lays out the premise quickly, very quickly. It lays out the acts: WHAT, HOW, then finally WHY. The simple plot sounds like a recycled X-Files episode: Government conspiracy surrounds child abductions by aliens.

But it's the ending we all talk about. The awful, awful, ending. It's the "Why! What were they thinking?" ending. It felt like an studio executive made a decision far into the movie to end the on an up-note without regard to continuity, story or plot. It felt like I *must* feel guilt if I disapproved the ending.

It was determined, the ending must be feminine and emotional. Those too male who disapprove should made to feel especially bad from expressing their opinion.

I don't think ulterior motive was to feel good. I think the motive is to make others feel bad if they didn't fall in line. Sort of like Telly.

For every person who truly needs a happy ending there is another who loses sleep because someone somewhere does not. The movie wasn't awful, just the studio edit ending. Many were swept out of reality. But I won't let go.

I defeat the happy ending with ... my humble opinion.

Hmmm....

Author: BHorrorWriter from Ohio, USA
29 July 2005

I cannot say I completely loathed this film. The mood and atmosphere of the film was eerie and creepy, but nothing we haven't seen before. Julianne Moore did an excellent job as the terrified, confused and frightened mother, who has been told her son, who has been dead for 14 months, never existed. However, her abilities start to fall apart at about the same time as the movie does.

This film begins to build a dynamic story very early on. Unfortunately, it gets lost in itself and crumbles towards the middle and especially by the end.

What probably started out as a decent alien abduction flick, turned sour and became another in a long line of Sixth Sense or The X-Files rip-offs. There was nothing that really jumped out and grabbed the audience by the throat and made them afraid for their own children. I think that really could have been the selling point of this film. The make people afraid to let their children out of their sight. I mean, the idea of this happening in real life would be the scariest part of all. This film was building up to that, but again, it crumbled way too fast.

Overall, the ending was different, but bland. Julianne Moore's character is able to overcome the odd experiment she is being forced through, because her love for her son is too strong. The alien realizes this, the experiment is over and she is the only one to remember anything. Interesting, but a trifle underdeveloped and almost seemingly tacked on.

Good try...but no dice!

Not Enough Reasons

Author: enzo-maestri from Brazil
1 July 2005

I know that the majority is sending negative comments about the movie, but this is unavoidable as the movie is like almost 100% supernatural. Et's movies are no more that acceptable as it were on like 30 ago, we are getting use to just believe in things that we really have a scientistic explanation. Well, I'm not that skeptic, but a good reason it's needed as a good plot to put an ET in a movie, and is in the absence of reasons that I base my critique. I can't just understand that ET's are coming to earth to make experiences with our son > mother relationship.. If the movie it self explained to the public what were their objetives on testing our relations or why they would like to know that, then we would have a REASON to believe in the story.

The Forgotten

Author: Renan Ferraz from Brazil
1 July 2005

In my opinion, the movie is terrible and frustrating, because reading the summary I thought that was a good movie, but it's not! This movie disappointed me a lot. The summary says:"It's the better movie since 'The sixty sense'". So, I was expecting more about the movie.

In the beginning I was thinking it was a very good movie, but it isn't the reality, in the middle of the movie we see a lot of strange things happening. It's so ridiculous, because there are a lot of Ets and nonsense things.

If you are looking for a good suspense movie,

DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!

Fuhgeddabout watching this...!

Author: Space_Lord from Auckland, New Zealand
26 May 2005

I wasn't sure what to expect when I rented this. It looked promising enough, and true to form the film started out well and had me guessing. It seemed more like an episode of the twilight zone or some such, but with Julianne Moore who does an OK job, along with the rest of the cast. What could possibly be making people forget they had children? But then what the? What an anticlimax! The ending just seemed like a quick way to wrap things up nice and easily, it was like the end of a cheesy TV sitcom where everything worked out OK in the end and they're all happy families again. CCCRRRRRAAAAAP! I feel like I need something else!

unsatisfactory

Author: dslavchev from Bulgaria
17 May 2005

The concept of erasing memory has fascinated Hollywood of late, although this ambitious thriller approaches it on a far larger scale than 'Code 46' or 'Confessions of a Dangerous Mind'. Grieving mother Telly (Julianne Moore) is convinced that the memories of her husband, friends and neighbours have been wiped when none of them recalls the death of a planeload of schoolchildren, among them her son Sam. Fleeing accusations of insanity, she investigates her conspiracy theories with a man she remembers to be a fellow parent. An intriguing premise, a strong lead and a confident pace help this tick along, but crashingly obvious exposition and dialogue lower the tone. As commercial melodrama, this entertains but fails as a conspiracy thriller, neglecting plot development in favour of action and analysis in favour of hysteria.

Director's Assumption of Audience's Stupidity

Author: devilwith_blueyes
14 May 2005

My sister originally rented for some random inane reason and I found myself drawn in by its outright clichés and easily predicted plot. Telly Paretta is grieving the loss of her child, 9-year-old Sam, who was supposedly killed in a plane crash on his way to camp. (cough cough) Anywho, her psychologist is helping her cope with the loss, we see their interactions very early in the morning with what I'm assuming the director thought was subtle hints at Telly's 'forgetfulness'. She 'forgets' her coffee, as though it were sitting right beside her, while her psychologist claims she drank some last week, but declined during this visit. From that point on, it was a pointless, cliché driven snooze-fest. Whenever it had the slightest chance of redeeming itself, there it went, right back into the B-movie sewer it came from. Obviously, someone was a huge sci-fi fan, and got a little over-ambitious with his script. All the while I kept expecting Mulder or Scully to pop out, Mulder blasting away about how aliens were behind this. Honestly, I would've been relieved if such a thing had happened. This movie had the chance to be a good, psychological thriller, questioning the bonds of a mother's love through time and space. I admit when I first heard about it, I'd hoped it dealt with the realms of mental illness and dealing with it, but instead it was squished and stuffed into the Hollywood mold of men in black coats and alien conspiracies. The only reason I even gave it three stars was for the performances of the talented actors they somehow convinced to act in this movie. Most convincing were Julianne Moore, Dominic West, and Gary Sinise. Whoever played the alien...scientist...villain could've used some acting lessons. While thoroughly creepy, he lacked the depth and medical detachment his character needed. In conclusion, the movie, while well acted (in some parts) could've done better, but because of the writer's assumptions of the audience's stupidity, we are stuck with a choppy, under-developed sci-fi mess.

Good acting in a bad movie

Author: ninja_superstar-1
11 May 2005

Julianne Moore rarely gives a bad performance. It's amazing to watch her in this film brilliantly rejuvenating crappy dialogue and stupid plot turns. Dominic West does a decent job as well. The chemistry between the two is established nicely. Along with the performances by the film's stars, some of the special effects are truly great. "The X-Files" could have learned a lot from this film in the effects department. Otherwise, this is an easily forgotten movie.

The film starts off with a great premise: A woman mourns the death of her son through emotional rituals lasting over a year. Shortly into the film, she is told that she never had a son, that her memories of him are made up. Sounds like I'm giving away the movie, doesn't it? I would be if the film actually followed such an interesting story. But no, get ready for some conspiracy theory weirdness and a totally out-of-this-world-stupid plot.

If you felt that story could have been more, I have a seen a better version

Author: nellgwyn21
8 May 2005

Hi, I've seen the Forgotten and I have to tell you I wasn't too impressed. There were maybe 2 good pictures in it, the lighting was forced and most of all the story lacked tail and toe. And almost from the very first moment there was a bell ringing in me, saying DARK CITY! Which happens to be one of my favourite movies, check it out here on IMDb. The idea is more or less the same there: aliens doing some experiment, a single guy being able to resist and fail them. But the whole concept is much better build up, the aliens are not much better defined, ie. it is explained what powers, society etc they have, and most of all WHY do they run their experiments, while here it is quite hanging in the air. Also Dark city is fantastic in it's visual world, it is almost like a Tim Burton movie, not simply dimmed like here. And most of all, Dark City and it's aliens aim at a much bigger question: what they want to know is note only if maternal love is dissolveable, but whether one's personality equals or more than the sum of one's memories. All in all, if you felt that this story could have been better, that there are loose ends hanging etc, than try to get Dark City (think it's available on DVD).