IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A decent little film (just don't think too much about it)

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
12 May 2014

I don't normally write reviews containing 'Spoilers,' but it seems that a – semi – spoiler is required to make sure that this film is seen by those who will appreciate it the most. Apparently, 'The Forgotten' was not received as well as it might, largely because a proportion of the audience expected a 'rational' explanation to why Julianne Moore's child had gone missing. However (and here's the semi-spoiler), the 'explanation' is anything but ordinary.

The Forgotten plays out like an extended episode of 'The X-files' (and we all know what was really going on behind the scenes there). So, if you don't like science fiction, then you're probably not going to like this.

Although, whereas The X-files' world was – as best it could – based in reality, The Forgotten doesn't require looking into that closely. In fact... the more you look into the story, the more plot holes you'll probably find (and therefore your enjoyment will diminish with each fact you find which is most likely impossible in real life). However, as with most films, The Forgotten isn't real and therefore you need to seriously suspend your disbelief to get anything out of it.

So, if you like X-films-type films/tales and are prepared not to overlook certain elements of the story which would probably be impossible to pull off in the real world, then you should enjoy this. The performances are good, it has a decent amount of tension and is suitably creepy where required.

Don't look too hard at the story... just watch the skies!

It runs down too many roads and keeps you wondering what the hell is going on......

Author: thomvic
26 December 2010

Julianna Moore is a fine actress and her choices in roles are usually pretty superb. The problem for her is that she needs to get into mainstream roles that appeal to wider audiences if she wants to get the blockbuster appeal - not that I'm particularly rooting for her to go that way since she gives fine performances in her films anyway.

And she is just as equally good. The only problem is that she is given a half baked script that sets up the premise quite well in the beginning. She plays Telly, a woman mourning the death of her son, and seeing a psychologist to get over it. Yet, apparently she didn't have a son and has made up some whole alternate reality to get over her miscarriage she had 8 years ago. Convinced she is not a delusional case, she ends up meeting Ash (Dominic West) who she claims has had a daughter, though he can't remember. Eventually, both of them realise that something is aloof when they realise that they may have once had children of their own.

******Minor Spoilers************ It seems to go down this cat and mouse chase with the cops just before halfway through the film so you are not sure where it is going. Then it ends up becoming a science fiction film with aliens and stuff and people getting sucked into the air out of nowhere. These scenes were done alright, but then this adds this whole X Files type scenario in and gets a bit confusing.

The ending had me a tad confused, and while conventional, I felt it didn't really explain a lot of things.

******Ending and Plot Spoilers********** For one thing, the aliens are taking kids away from parents for experimental purposes because they want to measure the energy of the connection between a parent and their kid. But for what purpose do they want to investigate this for? I still didn't fully understand the intentions of these creatures and what they were going to use this analysis for.

Secondly, it simply felt that when Telly couldn't forget her son, the aliens simply decided to drop the experiment, then she reunites with her son and Ash and his daughter in the park. So why would they give up that easily and they didn't take her like they took the rest out of thin air? This left me wondering, and maybe the director wants this to be a bit ambiguous so we have our own interpretations on it.

Despite these drawbacks, the atmosphere is created well with the grim cinematography and effects. That sense of gloom and depression within Telly is captured in the film. Fine performances, but not as much to work with as they should have been given.

I give this a 5 out of 10 because while it does pass as entertainment, there are too many unanswered questions which make you feel a tad disappointed and you know more could have been done on the script.

'They' are babies

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
29 August 2010

Telly Paretta (Julianne Moore) is trying to cope with the loss of her 9-year old son, Sam, who perished in a plane crash 14 months ago. She has memory lapses and problems with concentration, but all that seems irrelevant when one day her husband Jim (Anthony Edwards) claims that they never had a son and Telly has fabricated his whole existence. Everyone else around her confirms this version, including her psychiatrist (Gary Sinise). The solitude of disbelief makes her run away in order to find any proof that she is not crazy - her last resort is seeking out Ash Correll (Dominic West), a man whose daughter died together with her own son in plane crash... At least that's how Telly remembers it...

The plot is very promising. How can it not be? Add to that an excellent Julianne Moore with her perfectly fleshed out portrayal of a despairing mother and we could be in for a tremendous psychological thriller. Unfortunately the more the plot unravels the less emotionally involved you become. Entering X-File territory crashes the movie into illogical and far-fetched outwordly motivations, as well as takes away the human element of an otherwise promising ordeal. Similar as in "Flightplan" they opt for the mother not being crazy. And similarly as in Jodie Foster's neo-Hitchcock thriller the solution for introducing such a turn of events derails the movie into inconsistencies, idiosyncrasies and mediocrity.

Other than that everything else is just dandy, although as the plot thickens (or dissipates) you must wonder whether the excellent cast of this movie stopped reading the script at midway when they signed on.

An interesting premise, but the film never really rises above average

Author: med_1978 from United Kingdom
27 December 2007

I bought this on DVD, the participation of Julianne Moore & Gary Sinise led me to believe this may be a good film. I was however a little disappointed.

This is not a bad film, certainly the first half is interesting as you are not sure where the film is going. Julianne Moore is excellent, however the same cannot be said for the rest of the cast. Dominic West is bland, Gary Sinise sleepwalks through his role and the rest of the cast are adequate but do not add anything to the film. The second part of the movie is a major letdown with the requisite chases and government agents after them etc. This is not dull but has been done so many times before (see the Arrival with Charlie Sheen & Teri Polo). The alternate ending does improve the film slightly but after watching this film I just felt that I had not watched anything that was above average. If it were not for the presence of Julianne Moore this may have gone straight to video.

The preview for this movie ruined it.

Author: messin18 from United States
17 July 2006

I had seen a preview of this movie and it looked very fast paced, intense, and interesting. After watching this movie in DVD i was sorry to find out the preview had given away all the the most interesting points to the movie and had even shown the best scene in it. There are really only two scenes in the entire movie that really stand out and one of them is shown in the preview.

The movie is definitely average and you'll find yourself getting pretty bored. The story does come together at the end but the ending leaves you with a feeling of "that's it?...".

The most annoying part for me was the horrible acting from the kid. They showed flash back after flash back after flash back of the little brat and his horrible acting was amplified.

Undone by a lame ending

Author: physman from United States
29 April 2006

"The Forgotten" really draws you in with a compelling set-up: how does this woman have such vivid memories of her son if no one else does, and if there's no other evidence he ever existed? The strong performances by Julianne Moore et al. only enhance your involvement in the story. However, a movie like this is only as good as its ending. You get no points for setting up an intriguing mystery if the mystery's resolution makes the audience groan. And that's the case here. "The Forgotten"'s ending is at the same time inevitable and surprising -- inevitable in that the movie drops hints throughout about what might be happening to this woman, and surprising that they would actually follow through with something so ridiculous.

Delusions take a strangle hold.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
14 April 2006

This movie starts out an interesting dramatic mystery and plows along to become a typical Sci-Fi yarn with a 'Hollywood happy ending'. Telly Paretta(Julianne Moore)is plagued by the memories of her eight-year-old son Sam, who died in a plane crash over a year ago. Her marriage is a shambles with her husband Jim(Anthony Edwards)estranged. Telly's psychiatrist, Dr. Munce(Gary Senise), tries to convince her that her memories are intense delusions. She finds Ash Correll(Dominic West)in the park and he too begins remembering the loss of his daughter in the same plane crash as Sam. The two find themselves running from agents of the NSA. All seems to be unreal...but is it? Supporting cast includes: Alfre Woodard, Linus Roache, Robert Wisdom and Jessica Hecht.

Promising, but ultimately flawed.

Author: jazznaz from United Kingdom
29 December 2005

The first 20 minutes of the film held such great premise, and from the summary given on the back of the DVD case, I thought I was in for a psychological drama/thriller of reasonable depth. I was definitely not expecting the film to descend into the realms of sci-fi obscurity, to the point where the film was far removed from comfortable reality, and it became difficult to relate to.

I tried hard to enjoy the film, but after expecting so much, I was bitterly disappointed.

To all those who are planning on watching this film: don't expect as much as I did. I found this to be a fairly mundane, average sci-fi thriller. But of course, that could be exactly what you're looking for.

Great performance from Moore, but a poorly executed story

Author: Richard Brunton from Edinburgh, Scotland
23 October 2005

Moore and West are very strong in this movie, and very convincing, but it's Moore that totally steals the scenes as she does in just about every movie she's in. She's so natural and engaging, not only beautiful, and that what makes her acting so believable and pulls you right into her character. West is also very good, but he's not as strong.

Sinise is good too, but the difficulty is that he always seems to play his characters very similarly, however he does fit here. I'm surprised that Edwards managed to so easily pull off his role, I expected that I'd just be staring at him and thinking of that character I always saw and loved in ER, but no, he totally pulls it off. Finally, there has to be a mention to Roache who plays his friendly man character chillingly to perfection.

Now, that's the easy stuff out of the way. Let's get to the movie itself, and until the NSA arrives you'll be enjoying the movie, pulled into the thick of it and as confused and paranoid as all the characters you're watching. Up until this point it's a pretty good thriller, with good camera work, lighting and direction, from here on it's a hurried mess.

For no reason the film races from the NSA to the next premise, there's no explanation and a huge leap, in fact the NSA aren't really on screen long enough to intrigue you. No sooner have they arrived than their threat is replaced with something else, and you can't help but look back on that and think that there should have been more time building that paranoia only to replace it with the next level.

Not only that but it seems so hard for the characters to believe that the NSA are involved, but believing that there's a level of conspiracy higher than them is taken at complete face value with no truth whatsoever. This just doesn't seem right for any character, never mind these ones which we've just been shown are sceptical and unsure.

This is a running theme throughout the latter half of the movie actually, in that many of the surprises and twists fall flat as there's no real build up of suspense or contradictory feelings. Events just kind of appear and characters accept them and deal with them. You almost feel like you're watching a played out story already as the tension is gone.

There's another major flaw, and I don't believe I'm giving anything away here because it's no surprise. From the outset you, the audience, side with the main character Paretta. You're made to feel for her and to understand her pain, and this is a great connection but the effect for the rest of the movie is that you believe her, you trust in her, at no point do you think she's crazy. This goes against what the movie tries to do, it tries to make you believe that she may be mad, and she may be losing it, but there's just no way you can believe that as the performance that Moore brings is that of an utterly devastated Mother who is clinging onto something that is actually tangible, and the movie continually backs her up, this contradicts what it tries to do to the audience.

Add to that little mistakes that are crucial story points but just seem idiotic when you think about them. For instance there are memories being erased, photos being wiped, videos cleared, and yet there's the need to physically re-paper the walls in a room...what happened to all that technological magic to make the paper disappear like everything else? Sorry, that just doesn't wash and smacks you in the face to get you out of the movie.

However, visually the movie is excellent, the overhead shots to give the feeling of being watched and of isolation are superb, wherever the characters are the locations and lighting are really well carried out and provide for a superb looking movie. There's also the most amazing car crash scene you'll have seen, it's so realistic and this is one of the moments that actually defeats what I've said above. The suspense and surprise is built really well for this scene.

I was surprised at the Audio Commentary which features the and the director. Ruben mentions quite a few times that he's unsure what the audience want and what they feel from scenes. This struck me as surely being a problem, as the director would surely be building a scene to look and sound great, fit in with the rest of the picture, but also to manipulate the audience in some way and illicit an emotional reaction. Yet it sounds as the the director doesn't really know how to do this and continually questions the audience.

Combined with the comments made between the writer and director about some key expositional scenes makes me think that there was also a distinct lack of understanding between them, and perhaps more cooperation might have produced a better movie. At one point the writer talks about a great expositional scene and how he likes the way it makes the audience understand an aspect of the character, the director sounds surprised and says he wishes he had known that at the time, to which the writer responds "Yeah, maybe you'd have left some of it in". Joking or digging, I'm not sure but it certainly is telling. For these reasons it's a very interesting commentary track.

Solid thriller/sci-fi

Author: quicreva from United States
15 October 2005

Personally I thought The Forgotten worked very well for its genre: a blend of both suspense thriller and sci-fi. (Let's keep in mind that this category appeals to only a select few.) No, it wasn't the best of that class; it had both its hokey (mother love again? ho-hum)and its derivative (Dark City) facets. Moreover, the extended alternate ending was far far better than the made-for-TV type theatrical ending that moviegoers saw. Such quibbles aside, The Forgotten is a well-crafted film with some very fine, carefully restrained special effects scenes (i.e., the unexpected car crash, also my personal favorite - what happens to NYPD officers who take too close a look at forbidden mysteries?) If you don't try to force it into the mold of pure thriller or pure science fiction you will probably find it quite enjoyable