IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Hmmm..... yes, well, thanks anyway.

Author: drd233 from Australia
12 February 2006

***SPOILERS HERE*** So... are you telling me that, having the power to erase photo albums, suck people off the planet, cloud father's memories and instantly heal bullet wounds, they lacked the technical sophistication to re-decorate the little girl's room so that the original walls were forever hidden? I hope their Interior Cover-up Department was dealt with in the same way as the chap who asks "...for more ti..." in the last part of the film.

Have you ever wondered what the bond between cock-roaches is? Have you then decided to initiate an experiment to test your theories, involving much time and effort? Or would you just reach for the spray and be done with it? Why would these aliens want to study us, when they clearly are so much more advanced then our species? We are so full of ourselves that we make movies (not just this one) insisting that near-omnipotent beings care about what happens here and how we interact. No doubt we are all stars on some cosmic Discovery Channel

Like everyone has said, this movie is great when it's a psychological thriller, but really crashes when it becomes the X-Files. The only thing memorable - really memorable - was the interstellar Hoover effect.

"The Forgotten"? = Forgettable

Author: courtenayguy from Canada
28 January 2006

A grieving mother, Telly Paretta, is struggling to cope with the loss of her 9-year-old son. She is stunned when her psychiatrist and her husband tell her that she has created eight years of memories of a son she never had. But when she meets the father of one of her son's friend who is having the same experience, Telly embarks on a mission to prove her son's existence and her sanity. And the the goofiness starts! Chasing around in the dark..... 100's of scenes from high above....dark/gloomy... "Where's Mulder?" would be a better name! This one, with a decent plot and a good start, just goes on and on... could have wrapped this baby up in a half-hour TV show.... But it just goes on and on! And WHO could possibly sleep in a shady hotel room, with chips and booze, AND JULIANA MOORE!? AND NOTHING HAPPENS? Not with me, my friend!

That's what this movie deserves to be.

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
30 December 2005

The title offers the perfect opportunity to score some easy points; and I must admit that I'm not the sort of guy to pass these kinds of things up. So let's get it out of the way early - here goes: Hollywood has obviously 'forgotten' how to execute a polished thriller; and Julianne Moore must by now have 'forgotten' exactly why she chose this role. The very word should clue an audience in that what follows will deal with memories, or to be precise, certain characters lack of them. That being the case, the makers might as well have settled on the ultimate explanation that someone's drink has been spiked, I assure you that this would raise as many questions, is as unspecific, and is as deeply uninspired as the scenario that eventually plays itself out. To underpin a thriller, one would ordinarily want an intricate puzzle, a complex conspiracy web of intrigue and downright nefariousness. What we actually get is a basic idea that the screenplay never bothers to delve into fully, and seems like it was desperately thought up so everyone concerned had a catch-all excuse for some decidedly 'loose' plotting.

For example, we learn that some individuals have a certain undertaking. We know then WHAT they are doing; but the question that is never really adequately addressed for my liking is any possible reason they could have for wanting to do it?? 'Because they can', is the dominant motive that appears to dictate the approach of the script. That's just not good enough though I'm afraid, when you have a 'revelation' that's so slow to arrive, in as short a film as this one is. A film that's particularly complex in nature might invite you to fill in the blanks yourself; but the routes travelled here are so linear and undistinguished that the bigger picture is why someone would bother going to the trouble in the first place.

What's also comical is the apparent determination to avoid directly confronting what the film obviously wants itself to be about. It's as if the crew said: "We can't openly acknowledge this theme, in a movie starring Julianne Moore!" Well, appear in it she does; and I say in complete earnestness that how she was lured into participating is perhaps the biggest mystery here. It's one that's still ripe for solving, too.

If you haven't seen the film; I'll leave you to guess the plot point I have come this far without managing to accidentally reveal. The depressing thing is, the average layperson's uninformed shot in the dark has a high probability of being correct; and why bother watching something you could have easily concocted yourself???

Oy!

Author: geophyrd from North Woodmere, NY
25 October 2004

Has anyone gone to see The Forgotten? Jesus...this was a movie that seems to have been made first by an excellent director and then edited by committee.

Make no mistake the first 90% of the movie is excellent, gripping, remarkable. There were a few points that scared hell out of me.

But the ending! (light spoilers) Oh! The ending!

I have a theory. I believe the movie has a different ending somewhere, something in keeping with the entire rest of the movie. It is cool and subtle and probably didn't end very well. It was entirely believable and made you want to continue falling in love with Julianne Moore. That's the ending I'm hoping is on the DVD.

The one I saw...must have been shot after a test audience of morons voted something different. It made sense with the rest of the movie but damned if it didn't completely jump the tracks! Any other opinions?

Could have been much better without the mother's dense character

Author: Maciste_Brother from the rock
14 December 2006

The concept behind THE FORGOTTEN is actually pretty cool and if it had been handled a bit better, it could have been a classic. Alas, the producers took the easy way and in the end the film is nothing more than an expanded X-FILES episode.

The thing that really kills this story (and like so many other films these days, such as DARK WATER or SILENT HILL) is the main character's obsessiveness in finding her son, played all too perfectly by Julianne Moore. I understand the whole concept of the mother's love for her son and the story is basically an attempt to show how far reaching this love can go but the problem is that when faced with the existence of an alien culture or at least beings which are powerful enough to erase the memory of the son from dozens of people, you'd think the mother would stop for a while and try to see things their way or be at least affected by the mere presence of these beings. But no, the mother seeks her son, completely oblivious of the amazing things happening to her. Dammit, she just wants her son back so she can cook him breakfast and send him to school. I mean, who really cares if people have been whisked away in front of her god only knows where or who cares about a race from another world or another dimension, a race which has these extraordinary powers. And who cares if she remembers all of this after all this is resolved, remembers that Alfre Woodard's character might be dead now. The mother can go on living her daily existence like before, like nothing had happened. As if her kid had only been lost at the mall.

In the end, THE FORGOTTEN (and other such films) is not a film about a mother's love for her kid but more of a sad showcase of an oblique desire for the mundane, even at the expense of other people's lives. The primary objective: the mother's happiness. Nothing else matters. Because of this, the mother ended up being more scary than the unseen force.

Writers these days have really lost touch with common human behaviour.

(I would have given THE FORGOTTEN even less points if it hadn't been for those two effective jump scenes, the one in the car and the one at the cabin)

A story of a mother who is sure to have lost his kid but who have kidnapped her !!

Author: teteblonde from Canada
13 February 2006

Totally awful, a movie of two part the first seems to bring the audience to a psychological movies but the directors doesn't seems to look it this way so in the middle of the movies we see a total turn at 90 degrees and the movie take another turn because they start to talk about sciences fiction.

The movies is , besides, well directed for some part you seem to go on a thriller with some special and stunning scene but the screenplay is so speeding that you can stay focus on the story and it seems that they want to put the solutions like there was only this : who might have stole our children if it isn't the government ?! the aliens of course what the alien what the heck happens to the writers at this point they were so in miss of imagination to put this... ah I was so angry at this point that I almost throw my pack of pop-corn and the rest of the movie is in this point so if you have a chance to help someone in a movie store tell him not to rent this even if he is the no1 fan of Julianne Moore who is not at is best !!

this film was pretty bad

Author: Dan (brokennflawed@yahoo.com) from middletown, ct
25 October 2004

i went to the theater to see the forgotten hoping for a movie i can enjoy. i was most obviously mistaking when i hoped for it as this movie was 100% predictable, and with that much predictability i cannot enjoy a movie. and honestly if they take everyones memories away how is she going to be the only one that remembers? it doesn't make sense. i mean did they just forget to take her memory away expecting that she would forget on her own. this stupid crap about how a mother shares a special bond with their child so they can never forget really pisses me off. no father is going to forget his child that he once had with the woman he loves. and he sure as hell wont think shes crazy. and why was everyone in on it, including the doctor.

overall i hated the movie and am glad i did not pay to see it.

It runs down too many roads and keeps you wondering what the hell is going on......

Author: thomvic
26 December 2010

Julianna Moore is a fine actress and her choices in roles are usually pretty superb. The problem for her is that she needs to get into mainstream roles that appeal to wider audiences if she wants to get the blockbuster appeal - not that I'm particularly rooting for her to go that way since she gives fine performances in her films anyway.

And she is just as equally good. The only problem is that she is given a half baked script that sets up the premise quite well in the beginning. She plays Telly, a woman mourning the death of her son, and seeing a psychologist to get over it. Yet, apparently she didn't have a son and has made up some whole alternate reality to get over her miscarriage she had 8 years ago. Convinced she is not a delusional case, she ends up meeting Ash (Dominic West) who she claims has had a daughter, though he can't remember. Eventually, both of them realise that something is aloof when they realise that they may have once had children of their own.

******Minor Spoilers************ It seems to go down this cat and mouse chase with the cops just before halfway through the film so you are not sure where it is going. Then it ends up becoming a science fiction film with aliens and stuff and people getting sucked into the air out of nowhere. These scenes were done alright, but then this adds this whole X Files type scenario in and gets a bit confusing.

The ending had me a tad confused, and while conventional, I felt it didn't really explain a lot of things.

******Ending and Plot Spoilers********** For one thing, the aliens are taking kids away from parents for experimental purposes because they want to measure the energy of the connection between a parent and their kid. But for what purpose do they want to investigate this for? I still didn't fully understand the intentions of these creatures and what they were going to use this analysis for.

Secondly, it simply felt that when Telly couldn't forget her son, the aliens simply decided to drop the experiment, then she reunites with her son and Ash and his daughter in the park. So why would they give up that easily and they didn't take her like they took the rest out of thin air? This left me wondering, and maybe the director wants this to be a bit ambiguous so we have our own interpretations on it.

Despite these drawbacks, the atmosphere is created well with the grim cinematography and effects. That sense of gloom and depression within Telly is captured in the film. Fine performances, but not as much to work with as they should have been given.

I give this a 5 out of 10 because while it does pass as entertainment, there are too many unanswered questions which make you feel a tad disappointed and you know more could have been done on the script.

'They' are babies

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
29 August 2010

Telly Paretta (Julianne Moore) is trying to cope with the loss of her 9-year old son, Sam, who perished in a plane crash 14 months ago. She has memory lapses and problems with concentration, but all that seems irrelevant when one day her husband Jim (Anthony Edwards) claims that they never had a son and Telly has fabricated his whole existence. Everyone else around her confirms this version, including her psychiatrist (Gary Sinise). The solitude of disbelief makes her run away in order to find any proof that she is not crazy - her last resort is seeking out Ash Correll (Dominic West), a man whose daughter died together with her own son in plane crash... At least that's how Telly remembers it...

The plot is very promising. How can it not be? Add to that an excellent Julianne Moore with her perfectly fleshed out portrayal of a despairing mother and we could be in for a tremendous psychological thriller. Unfortunately the more the plot unravels the less emotionally involved you become. Entering X-File territory crashes the movie into illogical and far-fetched outwordly motivations, as well as takes away the human element of an otherwise promising ordeal. Similar as in "Flightplan" they opt for the mother not being crazy. And similarly as in Jodie Foster's neo-Hitchcock thriller the solution for introducing such a turn of events derails the movie into inconsistencies, idiosyncrasies and mediocrity.

Other than that everything else is just dandy, although as the plot thickens (or dissipates) you must wonder whether the excellent cast of this movie stopped reading the script at midway when they signed on.

An interesting premise, but the film never really rises above average

Author: med_1978 from London. England
27 December 2007

I bought this on DVD, the participation of Julianne Moore & Gary Sinise led me to believe this may be a good film. I was however a little disappointed.

This is not a bad film, certainly the first half is interesting as you are not sure where the film is going. Julianne Moore is excellent, however the same cannot be said for the rest of the cast. Dominic West is bland, Gary Sinise sleepwalks through his role and the rest of the cast are adequate but do not add anything to the film. The second part of the movie is a major letdown with the requisite chases and government agents after them etc. This is not dull but has been done so many times before (see the Arrival with Charlie Sheen & Teri Polo). The alternate ending does improve the film slightly but after watching this film I just felt that I had not watched anything that was above average. If it were not for the presence of Julianne Moore this may have gone straight to video.