IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Forget about watching "The Forgotten!"

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
21 June 2007

Deception plays an integral part in the films of director Joseph Ruben. In his 1984 science-fiction saga "Dreamscape," Ruben put Dennis Quaid and Kate Capshaw through the paces as psychics trying to help clinical patients wrestling with dream demons in their nightmares. The devious title character in Ruben's clever 1987 serial killer thriller "The Stepfather" deluded young women in their 20s with children into marrying him, so he could hack them to pieces and head off to his next victims. Ruben's 1991 white-knuckler "Sleeping with the Enemy" cast Julia Roberts as a battered heroine who deceived her abusive spouse and fled to forge a new identity. "Home Alone's" Macaulay Culkin pulled fiendish stunts in the "The Good Son" (1993) as an evil child who fooled everybody into believing in his innate virtue. N.Y. Transit cops Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson in "The Money Train" (1995) deceived everybody about their part in a police subway robbery. Not surprisingly, Ruben's latest epic "The Forgotten" (*1/2 out of ****) proves no exception about the recurring theme of deception. This deliberately-paced, psychological puzzler, starring Julianne Moore, Gary Sinise, and Alfre Woodard, about missing children and perturbed parents will grip you up to the half-way mark as it draws you slowly but surely into a mystifying predicament involving a delusional mother struggling to preserve the memories of her recently deceased son. Sadly, however, when scenarist Gerald Di Pego of "Phenomenon" fame and Ruben reveal what actually happened to her child, this atmospheric but anemic nail-biter degenerates into a laughable cross-between of an inferior "X-Files" episode and the 1998 Australian sci-fi chiller "Dark City" where curious aliens conducted experiments with humans to determine what made humans humane.

Manhattan children's book editor Telly Paretta (Julianne Moore of "The Big Lebowski") clings tenaciously to sweet memories of her nine-year old son Sam (Christopher Kovaleski of "Mind The Gap") who perished in a plane crash on the way to summer camp. Fourteen months have elapsed since Sam's tragic demise, but Telly still affectionately remembers him. She visits his bedroom often to hold his baseball glove, pore over family photos scrapbook, peruse the newspaper clippings about Sam's death, and stare at videos of him. One day Telly cannot find some of Sam's memorabilia. Initially, she accuses her long-suffering husband, Jim Paretta (Anthony Edwards of "Top Gun"), of removing Sam from family photos. Why is he trying to destroy her tangible memories of Sam? Patiently, Jim tells Telly that she suffered a miscarriage, and they never had a son. Meanwhile, her psychiatrist, Dr. Jack Munce (Gary Sinise of "Forrest Gump"), reminds Telly that she never had a son. Obstinately, Telly refuses to believe her therapist. Munce explains that "paramensia" afflicts her. Essentially, people with paramensia "invent entire alternate lives with imagined friends, imagined families, and imagined children." Before long, Telly wonders if she really has gone off the deep end. She encounters the father of one of Sam's friends. Ex-hockey star Ash Correll (Dominic West of "Mona Lisa Smile") boozes it up regularly these days and hangs out strangely enough on a kids swing-set in a Brooklyn neighborhood park. When Telly quizzes him about his daughter, Lauren (newcomer Kathryn Faughnan) he denies that he ever had a daughter. Eventually, Telly convinces Ash that he really had a daughter, but by then Ash has called the cops. As the NYPD leads Telly away, agents from the National Security Agency arrive and take custody of Telly. Suddenly, Ash reappears and helps Telly escape and the two of them hit the road on the run. When Telly suggests to Ash that somebody called "they" may have abducted their children, a shocked Ash blurts out with a straight face, "I'm having a National Enquirer moment." Director Joseph Ruben does the best that he can to gloss over the preposterous twists and turns in Gerald Di Pego slipshod screenplay that lurches unevenly from stark realism to raving lunacy. Ruben plays it straight as long as possible, until the dialogue gives everything away and credibility collapses in a shambles. Ruben keeps the action moving along at a breathless pace, building up the suspense, but he cannot maintain the same momentum after the third act revelation blows the lid off the mystery. Indeed, the auto accident in "The Forgotten" is about as violent as this PG-13 rated, mind-warping psycho-melodrama gets. Strong, evocative performances, especially from Julianne Moore, Gary Sinise, Anthony Edwards, and Dominic West, lend "The Forgotten" what little dramatic intensity it has before we know the truth. Talk about a supreme letdown! Forget about watching "The Forgotten."

Spilled talents and an insult to logic.

Author: chrisjan from The Netherlands
10 June 2007

I heard about this movie and about how bad it I was kinda curious if this was really the case.

Well I watched the movie on TV last night and all I can say that this movie is an insult to logic & reason with probably the most horrible Hollywood ending ever....and if I'm not mistaking it was the alternate ending (with Telly trying to get in the room of Sam).

The first 40 minutes are OK and interesting...what really happened to Sam? Of course I knew that aliens were involved but still watching this plot unveil left me speechless.

40 minutes in the film Telly all of a sudden feels that she sometimes feels like being "watched" where did this come from??????? It literally falls from the sky, this "twist".

There is so much wrong with this movie I could go on and on but the thing that really killed the movie was the ending: Hollywood at it's "finest". Oh and lets not forget the "romatic plot" between Ash and Telly

OK the world is under control by aliens who experiment with humans but at least Telly gets her kid back!

OK one positive thing: A very cool car crash!

Sipmly put: This alien plot didn't work. If the movie would have been situated in the future, OK but this movie tries to be too much (drama, thriller, action, SiFi) but ends up being a big nothing.

forget this film!

Author: WiltonR-M from Australia
25 March 2006

The only spectacular thing about this movie is Julianne Moore's stunning performance, the rest of the movie is just science fiction bullsh!t!

I was at the point of becoming a human vegetable by the end of the film,

and if you ask me the plot is just so pathetic!

I'm not one for science fiction, but i can handle at least some movies of this genre that have good story lines,

but this was a waste of money, I'm talking about the $5.00 i payed to hire it and the production funding!

Hmmm..... yes, well, thanks anyway.

Author: drd233 from Australia
12 February 2006

***SPOILERS HERE*** So... are you telling me that, having the power to erase photo albums, suck people off the planet, cloud father's memories and instantly heal bullet wounds, they lacked the technical sophistication to re-decorate the little girl's room so that the original walls were forever hidden? I hope their Interior Cover-up Department was dealt with in the same way as the chap who asks "...for more ti..." in the last part of the film.

Have you ever wondered what the bond between cock-roaches is? Have you then decided to initiate an experiment to test your theories, involving much time and effort? Or would you just reach for the spray and be done with it? Why would these aliens want to study us, when they clearly are so much more advanced then our species? We are so full of ourselves that we make movies (not just this one) insisting that near-omnipotent beings care about what happens here and how we interact. No doubt we are all stars on some cosmic Discovery Channel

Like everyone has said, this movie is great when it's a psychological thriller, but really crashes when it becomes the X-Files. The only thing memorable - really memorable - was the interstellar Hoover effect.

"The Forgotten"? = Forgettable

Author: courtenayguy from Canada
28 January 2006

A grieving mother, Telly Paretta, is struggling to cope with the loss of her 9-year-old son. She is stunned when her psychiatrist and her husband tell her that she has created eight years of memories of a son she never had. But when she meets the father of one of her son's friend who is having the same experience, Telly embarks on a mission to prove her son's existence and her sanity. And the the goofiness starts! Chasing around in the dark..... 100's of scenes from high above....dark/gloomy... "Where's Mulder?" would be a better name! This one, with a decent plot and a good start, just goes on and on... could have wrapped this baby up in a half-hour TV show.... But it just goes on and on! And WHO could possibly sleep in a shady hotel room, with chips and booze, AND JULIANA MOORE!? AND NOTHING HAPPENS? Not with me, my friend!

That's what this movie deserves to be.

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
30 December 2005

The title offers the perfect opportunity to score some easy points; and I must admit that I'm not the sort of guy to pass these kinds of things up. So let's get it out of the way early - here goes: Hollywood has obviously 'forgotten' how to execute a polished thriller; and Julianne Moore must by now have 'forgotten' exactly why she chose this role. The very word should clue an audience in that what follows will deal with memories, or to be precise, certain characters lack of them. That being the case, the makers might as well have settled on the ultimate explanation that someone's drink has been spiked, I assure you that this would raise as many questions, is as unspecific, and is as deeply uninspired as the scenario that eventually plays itself out. To underpin a thriller, one would ordinarily want an intricate puzzle, a complex conspiracy web of intrigue and downright nefariousness. What we actually get is a basic idea that the screenplay never bothers to delve into fully, and seems like it was desperately thought up so everyone concerned had a catch-all excuse for some decidedly 'loose' plotting.

For example, we learn that some individuals have a certain undertaking. We know then WHAT they are doing; but the question that is never really adequately addressed for my liking is any possible reason they could have for wanting to do it?? 'Because they can', is the dominant motive that appears to dictate the approach of the script. That's just not good enough though I'm afraid, when you have a 'revelation' that's so slow to arrive, in as short a film as this one is. A film that's particularly complex in nature might invite you to fill in the blanks yourself; but the routes travelled here are so linear and undistinguished that the bigger picture is why someone would bother going to the trouble in the first place.

What's also comical is the apparent determination to avoid directly confronting what the film obviously wants itself to be about. It's as if the crew said: "We can't openly acknowledge this theme, in a movie starring Julianne Moore!" Well, appear in it she does; and I say in complete earnestness that how she was lured into participating is perhaps the biggest mystery here. It's one that's still ripe for solving, too.

If you haven't seen the film; I'll leave you to guess the plot point I have come this far without managing to accidentally reveal. The depressing thing is, the average layperson's uninformed shot in the dark has a high probability of being correct; and why bother watching something you could have easily concocted yourself???

Author: geophyrd from North Woodmere, NY
25 October 2004

Has anyone gone to see The Forgotten? Jesus...this was a movie that seems to have been made first by an excellent director and then edited by committee.

Make no mistake the first 90% of the movie is excellent, gripping, remarkable. There were a few points that scared hell out of me.

But the ending! (light spoilers) Oh! The ending!

I have a theory. I believe the movie has a different ending somewhere, something in keeping with the entire rest of the movie. It is cool and subtle and probably didn't end very well. It was entirely believable and made you want to continue falling in love with Julianne Moore. That's the ending I'm hoping is on the DVD.

The one I saw...must have been shot after a test audience of morons voted something different. It made sense with the rest of the movie but damned if it didn't completely jump the tracks! Any other opinions?

Could have been much better without the mother's dense character

Author: Maciste_Brother from the rock
14 December 2006

The concept behind THE FORGOTTEN is actually pretty cool and if it had been handled a bit better, it could have been a classic. Alas, the producers took the easy way and in the end the film is nothing more than an expanded X-FILES episode.

The thing that really kills this story (and like so many other films these days, such as DARK WATER or SILENT HILL) is the main character's obsessiveness in finding her son, played all too perfectly by Julianne Moore. I understand the whole concept of the mother's love for her son and the story is basically an attempt to show how far reaching this love can go but the problem is that when faced with the existence of an alien culture or at least beings which are powerful enough to erase the memory of the son from dozens of people, you'd think the mother would stop for a while and try to see things their way or be at least affected by the mere presence of these beings. But no, the mother seeks her son, completely oblivious of the amazing things happening to her. Dammit, she just wants her son back so she can cook him breakfast and send him to school. I mean, who really cares if people have been whisked away in front of her god only knows where or who cares about a race from another world or another dimension, a race which has these extraordinary powers. And who cares if she remembers all of this after all this is resolved, remembers that Alfre Woodard's character might be dead now. The mother can go on living her daily existence like before, like nothing had happened. As if her kid had only been lost at the mall.

In the end, THE FORGOTTEN (and other such films) is not a film about a mother's love for her kid but more of a sad showcase of an oblique desire for the mundane, even at the expense of other people's lives. The primary objective: the mother's happiness. Nothing else matters. Because of this, the mother ended up being more scary than the unseen force.

Writers these days have really lost touch with common human behaviour.

(I would have given THE FORGOTTEN even less points if it hadn't been for those two effective jump scenes, the one in the car and the one at the cabin)

A story of a mother who is sure to have lost his kid but who have kidnapped her !!

Author: teteblonde from Canada
13 February 2006

Totally awful, a movie of two part the first seems to bring the audience to a psychological movies but the directors doesn't seems to look it this way so in the middle of the movies we see a total turn at 90 degrees and the movie take another turn because they start to talk about sciences fiction.

The movies is , besides, well directed for some part you seem to go on a thriller with some special and stunning scene but the screenplay is so speeding that you can stay focus on the story and it seems that they want to put the solutions like there was only this : who might have stole our children if it isn't the government ?! the aliens of course what the alien what the heck happens to the writers at this point they were so in miss of imagination to put this... ah I was so angry at this point that I almost throw my pack of pop-corn and the rest of the movie is in this point so if you have a chance to help someone in a movie store tell him not to rent this even if he is the no1 fan of Julianne Moore who is not at is best !!

this film was pretty bad

Author: Dan ( from middletown, ct
25 October 2004

i went to the theater to see the forgotten hoping for a movie i can enjoy. i was most obviously mistaking when i hoped for it as this movie was 100% predictable, and with that much predictability i cannot enjoy a movie. and honestly if they take everyones memories away how is she going to be the only one that remembers? it doesn't make sense. i mean did they just forget to take her memory away expecting that she would forget on her own. this stupid crap about how a mother shares a special bond with their child so they can never forget really pisses me off. no father is going to forget his child that he once had with the woman he loves. and he sure as hell wont think shes crazy. and why was everyone in on it, including the doctor.

overall i hated the movie and am glad i did not pay to see it.