IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

"The Forgotten"? = Forgettable

Author: courtenayguy from Canada
28 January 2006

A grieving mother, Telly Paretta, is struggling to cope with the loss of her 9-year-old son. She is stunned when her psychiatrist and her husband tell her that she has created eight years of memories of a son she never had. But when she meets the father of one of her son's friend who is having the same experience, Telly embarks on a mission to prove her son's existence and her sanity. And the the goofiness starts! Chasing around in the dark..... 100's of scenes from high above....dark/gloomy... "Where's Mulder?" would be a better name! This one, with a decent plot and a good start, just goes on and on... could have wrapped this baby up in a half-hour TV show.... But it just goes on and on! And WHO could possibly sleep in a shady hotel room, with chips and booze, AND JULIANA MOORE!? AND NOTHING HAPPENS? Not with me, my friend!

That's what this movie deserves to be.

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
30 December 2005

The title offers the perfect opportunity to score some easy points; and I must admit that I'm not the sort of guy to pass these kinds of things up. So let's get it out of the way early - here goes: Hollywood has obviously 'forgotten' how to execute a polished thriller; and Julianne Moore must by now have 'forgotten' exactly why she chose this role. The very word should clue an audience in that what follows will deal with memories, or to be precise, certain characters lack of them. That being the case, the makers might as well have settled on the ultimate explanation that someone's drink has been spiked, I assure you that this would raise as many questions, is as unspecific, and is as deeply uninspired as the scenario that eventually plays itself out. To underpin a thriller, one would ordinarily want an intricate puzzle, a complex conspiracy web of intrigue and downright nefariousness. What we actually get is a basic idea that the screenplay never bothers to delve into fully, and seems like it was desperately thought up so everyone concerned had a catch-all excuse for some decidedly 'loose' plotting.

For example, we learn that some individuals have a certain undertaking. We know then WHAT they are doing; but the question that is never really adequately addressed for my liking is any possible reason they could have for wanting to do it?? 'Because they can', is the dominant motive that appears to dictate the approach of the script. That's just not good enough though I'm afraid, when you have a 'revelation' that's so slow to arrive, in as short a film as this one is. A film that's particularly complex in nature might invite you to fill in the blanks yourself; but the routes travelled here are so linear and undistinguished that the bigger picture is why someone would bother going to the trouble in the first place.

What's also comical is the apparent determination to avoid directly confronting what the film obviously wants itself to be about. It's as if the crew said: "We can't openly acknowledge this theme, in a movie starring Julianne Moore!" Well, appear in it she does; and I say in complete earnestness that how she was lured into participating is perhaps the biggest mystery here. It's one that's still ripe for solving, too.

If you haven't seen the film; I'll leave you to guess the plot point I have come this far without managing to accidentally reveal. The depressing thing is, the average layperson's uninformed shot in the dark has a high probability of being correct; and why bother watching something you could have easily concocted yourself???

Oy!

Author: geophyrd from North Woodmere, NY
25 October 2004

Has anyone gone to see The Forgotten? Jesus...this was a movie that seems to have been made first by an excellent director and then edited by committee.

Make no mistake the first 90% of the movie is excellent, gripping, remarkable. There were a few points that scared hell out of me.

But the ending! (light spoilers) Oh! The ending!

I have a theory. I believe the movie has a different ending somewhere, something in keeping with the entire rest of the movie. It is cool and subtle and probably didn't end very well. It was entirely believable and made you want to continue falling in love with Julianne Moore. That's the ending I'm hoping is on the DVD.

The one I saw...must have been shot after a test audience of morons voted something different. It made sense with the rest of the movie but damned if it didn't completely jump the tracks! Any other opinions?

Could have been much better without the mother's dense character

Author: Maciste_Brother from the rock
14 December 2006

The concept behind THE FORGOTTEN is actually pretty cool and if it had been handled a bit better, it could have been a classic. Alas, the producers took the easy way and in the end the film is nothing more than an expanded X-FILES episode.

The thing that really kills this story (and like so many other films these days, such as DARK WATER or SILENT HILL) is the main character's obsessiveness in finding her son, played all too perfectly by Julianne Moore. I understand the whole concept of the mother's love for her son and the story is basically an attempt to show how far reaching this love can go but the problem is that when faced with the existence of an alien culture or at least beings which are powerful enough to erase the memory of the son from dozens of people, you'd think the mother would stop for a while and try to see things their way or be at least affected by the mere presence of these beings. But no, the mother seeks her son, completely oblivious of the amazing things happening to her. Dammit, she just wants her son back so she can cook him breakfast and send him to school. I mean, who really cares if people have been whisked away in front of her god only knows where or who cares about a race from another world or another dimension, a race which has these extraordinary powers. And who cares if she remembers all of this after all this is resolved, remembers that Alfre Woodard's character might be dead now. The mother can go on living her daily existence like before, like nothing had happened. As if her kid had only been lost at the mall.

In the end, THE FORGOTTEN (and other such films) is not a film about a mother's love for her kid but more of a sad showcase of an oblique desire for the mundane, even at the expense of other people's lives. The primary objective: the mother's happiness. Nothing else matters. Because of this, the mother ended up being more scary than the unseen force.

Writers these days have really lost touch with common human behaviour.

(I would have given THE FORGOTTEN even less points if it hadn't been for those two effective jump scenes, the one in the car and the one at the cabin)

A story of a mother who is sure to have lost his kid but who have kidnapped her !!

Author: teteblonde from Canada
13 February 2006

Totally awful, a movie of two part the first seems to bring the audience to a psychological movies but the directors doesn't seems to look it this way so in the middle of the movies we see a total turn at 90 degrees and the movie take another turn because they start to talk about sciences fiction.

The movies is , besides, well directed for some part you seem to go on a thriller with some special and stunning scene but the screenplay is so speeding that you can stay focus on the story and it seems that they want to put the solutions like there was only this : who might have stole our children if it isn't the government ?! the aliens of course what the alien what the heck happens to the writers at this point they were so in miss of imagination to put this... ah I was so angry at this point that I almost throw my pack of pop-corn and the rest of the movie is in this point so if you have a chance to help someone in a movie store tell him not to rent this even if he is the no1 fan of Julianne Moore who is not at is best !!

this film was pretty bad

Author: Dan (brokennflawed@yahoo.com) from middletown, ct
25 October 2004

i went to the theater to see the forgotten hoping for a movie i can enjoy. i was most obviously mistaking when i hoped for it as this movie was 100% predictable, and with that much predictability i cannot enjoy a movie. and honestly if they take everyones memories away how is she going to be the only one that remembers? it doesn't make sense. i mean did they just forget to take her memory away expecting that she would forget on her own. this stupid crap about how a mother shares a special bond with their child so they can never forget really pisses me off. no father is going to forget his child that he once had with the woman he loves. and he sure as hell wont think shes crazy. and why was everyone in on it, including the doctor.

overall i hated the movie and am glad i did not pay to see it.

Disgusted

Author: from United States
26 January 2005

The only reason I registered to IMDb was to comment on this movie. The Forgotten was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. There were a couple of scary parts, and I stress the word "couple," but what really bothered me was the ending of the movie-- or should I say lack of. As my friends and I sat in the theater as the credits began rolling, we all had dazed looks upon our faces, trying to figure out how everybody was leaving so quietly, seemingly satisfied. However, we were far from satisfied. There were just too many questions left unanswered.. I don't even think I can go on typing because I am getting angry just thinking about the movie. What I'm trying to say is, "DON'T WATCH THE FORGOTTEN." Furthermore, don't even rent it.. because I don't want the makers of that movie profiting from any more innocent movie-watchers. I hope this helps.

Don't waste your time

Author: oliverschoenborn
20 March 2016

I'm a big sci-fi fan and i love Moore, but this is one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen, because although the first 2/3 is really good, the 3rd part of the movie is so idiotic. In the first 59 minutes you are led to believe there is some kind of govmt conspiracy. But it derails at the 60th minute when a house gets blown apart in a very "alien" way and at 20 min before the end people are impervious to gun shots and others get sucked into the sky. But not the 2 heros. It then becomes apparent that conspiracy is not govmt but aliens doing some experiment on us and the two heros. So might as well try to kill them to make the experiments work, right? And if you have enough power to suck people into the sky, it's pretty obvious what would happen rather quickly to the two hero rebels but no, people right in front of them get sucked into the sky but not them, oh is it because they are part of the experiment? like subjecting someone to this kind of experience isn't going to have an effect on the results of the experiment?

So the story falls apart in the last 30 min, and completely ruins the first 60min watching. What a waste of time. I can't believe the 7's and 8's I've seen in these reviews, maybe it's the aliens doing another experiment. I would give this movie a 5 star out of 10 at most, and only because acting and action is very good in first 2/3. I'm glad to see the average is below 6, maybe our race is smart enough to fight an alien invasion after all.

The only reason I'm taking this much time writing a review for such a bad movie is because of how bad it is, I feel sorry for anyone who's going to watch this as there are so many great movies out there yet so little time, you don't have time to waste on this kind of brain rot. I bet Moore has no recollection of having been in the movie, just like in the movie... it's been erased from her brain by aliens to help her cope with the embarrassement! Maybe she stopped reading the script halfway, she must have been furious when on the set!

Reaching for the incredible....

Author: Brigid O Sullivan (wisewebwoman) from Toronto, Canada
23 October 2015

And also the incredulous.

Enough plot holes to make a decent colander.

One example being these missing kids had no other relatives, like grandparents, aunts, uncles, pals schoolteachers, to validate their existence?

Enough car chases to fill in for the abysmal lack of dialogue.

How come when movie characters are chased for huge distances involving climbing, jumping and marathoning, they never break a sweat or breathe hard? A great cast in an enormously flawed film.

And the ending.

Didn't make sense. Hollywoodland at its finest.

2 out of 10.

Nice Elements Undone By Plot.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell (rmax304823@yahoo.com) from Deming, New Mexico, USA
4 September 2015

Julianne Moore is the mother of a nine-year-old boy, estranged from her Wall Street husband. The son is tenderly put on board a flight that disappears and is forgotten. Moore is frantic, along the lines of, "Where is my CHILD?" Seeking succor from her husband, she finds that he claims they never had any children. A shrink, Gary Sinese, tells her that such delusions are common and so forth. As is usual in these sorts of films, nobody believes her. It doesn't help that when she tries to explain, her speech turns to gibberish.

Finally, she roots out a man, Christopher Kovaleski, whose daughter was a friend of Moore and her son. Kovalevski claims he never had a son but when he speaks her name the memories come flooding back. So what the hell is going on? Well, what's going on is that some supernatural force -- always referred to as "they" or "them" -- is conducting an experiment from outer space in an attempt to measure the strength of the mother-child bond. They've got the National Security Agency on their side, somehow; it's never explained how. This -- this -- force can make troublesome people disappear by whisking them up into the sky.

Finally an agent from outer space -- an expressionless nonentity -- explains the deal to Moore in an abandoned warehouse. She's the last hold-out, he tells her, and he wants her to forget about her son "otherwise the experiment will fail." Pardon me while I put on my behavioral scientist's research hat. No, the experiment won't fail. It CAN'T fail. If the experiment was designed to measure the strength of the mother-child bond, that's precisely what it's doing. It's telling the investigator that everybody else has forgotten his or her child except for one or two irregular cases, Moore and Kovalevksi. If there are a hundred cases in which the erasure of memory worked and only two in which it didn't, well, those are the results. For most practical purposes, the bond is soluble.

The first part of the film is interesting, shot in the most spectral parts of Brooklyn, which is in pretty bad shape to begin with. We see two people running hither and yon through dark alleyways and cowering in fields under the Williamsburg Bridge. Then, as the experiment is gradually revealed, the whole thing falls apart and become a shabby imitation of "The X Files" laced with expensive CGIs.

The actors do a fine job. Moore is under-appreciated. She has a blocky, freckled beauty that doesn't fit the Hollywood stereotype but she's a splendid actress. Kovalevski's role is rather more constricting, but Alfre Woodard as a helpful police detective is compelling without seeming to reach for it.

The director, Joseph Ruben, can't be held responsible for the weaknesses either. He doesn't show off with the camera and the editing is classical. Here and there, amid the wreckage, he stages a scene that's both functional and poetic.

"The X Files" had a respectable and solid following from 1993 to 2002. A reasonable guess is that the series served as the inspiration for this movie. Moore's character is named "Telly," two phonemes away from "Scully."