IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The Forgotten - soon to be on Lifetime for women?

Author: Kali
28 September 2004

The casting was great, however the actors themselves I feel were less than superb. Julianne Moore plays a mother who has lost her son, and she's out to find him. To me, she came off more annoying than anything. Constant whining, obsessing, and flashbacks every 20 minutes can get under the skin, and is the last thing you'd expect from a 'suspense' film. 'Ash' was implied to be one who 'drinks away his sorrows'. However Dominic's drunken acts were less than believable. Watching this movie reminded me of those cheesy made for TV lifetime flicks where no name actors run around crying about lost kids.

I found absolutely none of it suspenseful. I have no idea where the Sixth Sense comparisons came from, as this movie has nothing in common with it.

To sum it all up - This movie is just a hyped up chick flick with a couple action scenes that fail to take the moment. The only reason I didn't walk out of the theater is because I was uselessly hoping it would pick up.

The forgotten plot (spoiler

Author: finntate from Canada
18 March 2005

This movie had the potential to be interesting but ended up being just another cheesy attempt to recreate the 6th Sense twist. Well here's the twist: ALIENS ARE DOING SOME SORT OF SCIENCE PROJECT ABOUT THE MOTHERS NOT WILLING TO LET GO OF THE MEMORY OF THEIR CHILD! Whooooooooooah! I mean how dull is this? You have a movie with some potential to open the door to some other world co-existence between aliens and "big government" conspiracy theory, and instead it turns into some mediocre science fair project for aliens.

And we wouldn't want to actually go into the conspiracy, hell that might just be a little to interesting.

BUT, the big question to be asked: Why the big elaborate "memory erase", why not just have her accept the fact that her kid was killed in the plane crash? Ohhh I know, because it was was a experiment. Yeah right, doesn't wash. Here's the real reason: the plot wasn't thought through it was forgotten.

Author: from United States
26 January 2005

The only reason I registered to IMDb was to comment on this movie. The Forgotten was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. There were a couple of scary parts, and I stress the word "couple," but what really bothered me was the ending of the movie-- or should I say lack of. As my friends and I sat in the theater as the credits began rolling, we all had dazed looks upon our faces, trying to figure out how everybody was leaving so quietly, seemingly satisfied. However, we were far from satisfied. There were just too many questions left unanswered.. I don't even think I can go on typing because I am getting angry just thinking about the movie. What I'm trying to say is, "DON'T WATCH THE FORGOTTEN." Furthermore, don't even rent it.. because I don't want the makers of that movie profiting from any more innocent movie-watchers. I hope this helps.

Such a disappointment!!

Author: Patricia from Philadelphia, PA
3 October 2004

I had been waiting months for this movie to come out and can I just say how terribly disappointed I was??? I am such a movie person and there are rarely movies that I deem awful, but this movie has made it into the top five on my list of worst movies I have ever seen. The plot was stupid. They had a convenient, yet stupid, way of getting rid of characters they no longer needed. And at the end they never even explained why the stupid plot was occurring. Although, I must say, I did enjoy Dominic West! Please save your time and your money and do not go see it. If you must see it, wait til it is on video and some one you know rented it and borrow it from them! It is honestly that bad!

The Forgotten: Nice plot, predictable ending

Author: gabrieljosue from Brazil
21 December 2004

I must admit that the movie was very interesting. in fact it goes together with our never ending search of the unknown. questions like "who are we?" "where do we come from" are often pounding our heads. despite the predictable ending, I should say that it was somewhat "inspiring", in terms of letting our imagination flow as to whether aliens do really exist or not.I would advise people to see it! we all have a little bit of curiosity to find out the reason why of everything around. maybe the director of the movie is no exception to the rule. the cast is fantastic! they did a pretty good job! My rating is 8., the thing is, I think it should be a little more suspenseful.

♪ Don't you forget about me ♪

Author: Quebec_Dragon from Canada
20 November 2014

First, if it's not already too late, please avoid the trailers, and I recommend watching the extended version with the alternate version. Why? One of the best surprises is spoiled in the trailer (lesser ones too) and the alternate ending is arguably better, definitely less simple and Hollywood-like despite the same final result. So, this was a very good thriller with an excellent concept I don't remember seeing done anywhere before in TV or film. What if your kid died in an accident but months later you were told by everyone he never existed? I appreciated how the subject was explored and how gradually that revelation and others were made. Is our mother delusional or is there something else going on? Of course, an option is more likely than the other, but the journey was suspenseful. At several moments in the film, there was an escalation of events that raised the stakes and made things more interesting and disturbing.

However, this thriller succeeds in part because it's grounded emotionally by Julianne Moore's intense performance. I felt for her ordeal and to be that believable, it's obvious she really is a mother who loves children. Of course, most mothers wouldn't be such great actresses. ;-) The other performances were decent and didn't detract. The directing also helped matters as the veteran Joseph Ruben obviously knows this genre. I appreciated the overhead shots, shots through obstacles and windows implying that our heroine might be observed. It wasn't the flashiest shots but they were well done. Of particular note to me were the accident and the captures, rather effective and shocking. I also liked how the color schemes differed from warm golden in flashbacks to cold bluish in the present. So, very neat "Twilight Zone" concept aptly executed with a great female lead. Your appreciation might depend on how open-minded you are, but for a critical cynic like me, I wasn't taken out by stupid behavior or illogical crap.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10 (very good)

*SPOILERS* A Frighteningly Compelling Drama

Author: speedy-droid from san jose, costa rica
23 June 2014

This film consistently gets Low or just "Hum-Drum" reviews. I, personally, think that it is brilliant. However, I would immediately acknowledge that it does not appeal to the majority of people. It is definitely targeted at a very narrow audience. If you are a devout family-oriented person, this one will rip your heart out.

This film starts off as a very perplexing suspense thriller. Then, about 45 minutes into the film, you have a "What The?!?!?!" moment. Then, you spend most of the rest of the film gradually understanding what is really going on, and finally, the last 10 minutes sobbing.

This film will scare you silly at that "about" 45-minute point. And right after the film is over, you'll be calling your mother and crying, "I LOVE YOU, MA!!!!!"

It's a character study -- and I LOVE character studies. But exactly whose character are we studying?

Is it the character of the protagonist, Telly? I say... NO!

Is it the character of the human race, in general? I give that one a 50% chance.

Is it the character of the alien race? I like this one, just for my own personal satisfaction. In the alternate ending to this film, where Telly sees the alien watching her and her son on the playground, I wish Telly had just given him "The Finger", or, better yet, just given him that "Pfft! I'm 10 times the person your Mom wished you would be when she gave birth to your worthless excuse for a self-aware existence!" LOOK.

Sends you in a vortex of uncertainty.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
14 March 2014

This is a suspenseful movie starring Julianne Moore as grieving mother Telly Paretta, who is struggling to cope with the loss of her 9 year-old son, Sam. When psychiatrist Dr. Jack Munce (Gary Sinise) and her husband, Jim Paretta (Anthony Edwards), tell her that she has made up the memories of a son she never had, she embarks on a mission to prove her sanity and that her son is real.

The plot to the movie is cleverly devised, carefully delving into the mind of Telly, sending the audience to question her sanity, and telling of the probable cause other than insanity that mysterious out-of-this-world forces are causing her to forget her son, giving the audience the impression that there is more hidden suspense to be released. What results is a see-saw of confusion, hope and drama that I find are mind-boggling, but captivating. The lazy-day feel and sometimes dreary-looking atmosphere create an overall somber and serious mood of the entire film.

I thought Gerald Di Pego's script for the movie is played out well, thanks to the descent acting, compelling plot and Joseph Ruben's direction. It's actually an enjoyable movie if you are able to put all the pieces together.

Grade B

Aptly titled

Author: daviesjon-1 from United Kingdom
21 March 2008

What begins as a vaguely interesting premise quickly descends into forgettable supernatural nonsense, unnecessary chase scenes, and people being whisked into the sky.

The latter form some good 'shock' moments (assuming you've never seen the trailer), and the whole package just might carry your interest long enough to reach the inevitable, cop-out finale... but allow me to save you the trouble: it was aliens, her child is returned, and neither you nor characters involved will recall what transpired for the last hour and a half.

Now you know this, you needn't watch The Forgotten and are free to spend the time on more worthwhile endeavours such as flicking cards into a hat, rubbing together pieces of fruit, or - heaven forfend - watching a memorable movie.

Hehehe . . .

Author: Yakisoba from Nowhere
2 September 2007

This movie sucks. It's not very intense or suspenseful for a thriller, the acting is just average, the plot is slightly less thin than your average piece of paper, and towards the end it just gets ridiculous.

I mean, what's up with the people flying up into the air and crap? That was really stupid. And the "climax" was hilarious--which is typically not a good sign when the movie is supposed to be a dramatic thriller. The part when the alien-guy said "You will FORGET!!!" and all the windows shattered and his face turned all ugly was riotously idiotic.

And as for the--no, wait! I need to finish this review! Let me--please! Give me more tiiiiime . . . !