IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The Forgotten - soon to be on Lifetime for women?

Author: Kali
28 September 2004

The casting was great, however the actors themselves I feel were less than superb. Julianne Moore plays a mother who has lost her son, and she's out to find him. To me, she came off more annoying than anything. Constant whining, obsessing, and flashbacks every 20 minutes can get under the skin, and is the last thing you'd expect from a 'suspense' film. 'Ash' was implied to be one who 'drinks away his sorrows'. However Dominic's drunken acts were less than believable. Watching this movie reminded me of those cheesy made for TV lifetime flicks where no name actors run around crying about lost kids.

I found absolutely none of it suspenseful. I have no idea where the Sixth Sense comparisons came from, as this movie has nothing in common with it.

To sum it all up - This movie is just a hyped up chick flick with a couple action scenes that fail to take the moment. The only reason I didn't walk out of the theater is because I was uselessly hoping it would pick up.

The forgotten plot (spoiler

Author: finntate from Canada
18 March 2005

This movie had the potential to be interesting but ended up being just another cheesy attempt to recreate the 6th Sense twist. Well here's the twist: ALIENS ARE DOING SOME SORT OF SCIENCE PROJECT ABOUT THE MOTHERS NOT WILLING TO LET GO OF THE MEMORY OF THEIR CHILD! Whooooooooooah! I mean how dull is this? You have a movie with some potential to open the door to some other world co-existence between aliens and "big government" conspiracy theory, and instead it turns into some mediocre science fair project for aliens.

And we wouldn't want to actually go into the conspiracy, hell that might just be a little to interesting.

BUT, the big question to be asked: Why the big elaborate "memory erase", why not just have her accept the fact that her kid was killed in the plane crash? Ohhh I know, because it was was a experiment. Yeah right, doesn't wash. Here's the real reason: the plot wasn't thought through it was forgotten.

Disgusted

Author: from United States
26 January 2005

The only reason I registered to IMDb was to comment on this movie. The Forgotten was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. There were a couple of scary parts, and I stress the word "couple," but what really bothered me was the ending of the movie-- or should I say lack of. As my friends and I sat in the theater as the credits began rolling, we all had dazed looks upon our faces, trying to figure out how everybody was leaving so quietly, seemingly satisfied. However, we were far from satisfied. There were just too many questions left unanswered.. I don't even think I can go on typing because I am getting angry just thinking about the movie. What I'm trying to say is, "DON'T WATCH THE FORGOTTEN." Furthermore, don't even rent it.. because I don't want the makers of that movie profiting from any more innocent movie-watchers. I hope this helps.

Such a disappointment!!

Author: Patricia from Philadelphia, PA
3 October 2004

I had been waiting months for this movie to come out and can I just say how terribly disappointed I was??? I am such a movie person and there are rarely movies that I deem awful, but this movie has made it into the top five on my list of worst movies I have ever seen. The plot was stupid. They had a convenient, yet stupid, way of getting rid of characters they no longer needed. And at the end they never even explained why the stupid plot was occurring. Although, I must say, I did enjoy Dominic West! Please save your time and your money and do not go see it. If you must see it, wait til it is on video and some one you know rented it and borrow it from them! It is honestly that bad!

The Forgotten: Nice plot, predictable ending

Author: gabrieljosue from Brazil
21 December 2004

I must admit that the movie was very interesting. in fact it goes together with our never ending search of the unknown. questions like "who are we?" "where do we come from" are often pounding our heads. despite the predictable ending, I should say that it was somewhat "inspiring", in terms of letting our imagination flow as to whether aliens do really exist or not.I would advise people to see it! we all have a little bit of curiosity to find out the reason why of everything around. maybe the director of the movie is no exception to the rule. the cast is fantastic! they did a pretty good job! My rating is 8., the thing is, I think it should be a little more suspenseful.

Aptly titled

Author: daviesjon-1 from United Kingdom
21 March 2008

What begins as a vaguely interesting premise quickly descends into forgettable supernatural nonsense, unnecessary chase scenes, and people being whisked into the sky.

The latter form some good 'shock' moments (assuming you've never seen the trailer), and the whole package just might carry your interest long enough to reach the inevitable, cop-out finale... but allow me to save you the trouble: it was aliens, her child is returned, and neither you nor characters involved will recall what transpired for the last hour and a half.

Now you know this, you needn't watch The Forgotten and are free to spend the time on more worthwhile endeavours such as flicking cards into a hat, rubbing together pieces of fruit, or - heaven forfend - watching a memorable movie.

Hehehe . . .

Author: Yakisoba from Nowhere
2 September 2007

This movie sucks. It's not very intense or suspenseful for a thriller, the acting is just average, the plot is slightly less thin than your average piece of paper, and towards the end it just gets ridiculous.

I mean, what's up with the people flying up into the air and crap? That was really stupid. And the "climax" was hilarious--which is typically not a good sign when the movie is supposed to be a dramatic thriller. The part when the alien-guy said "You will FORGET!!!" and all the windows shattered and his face turned all ugly was riotously idiotic.

And as for the--no, wait! I need to finish this review! Let me--please! Give me more tiiiiime . . . !

Forget about watching "The Forgotten!"

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
21 June 2007

Deception plays an integral part in the films of director Joseph Ruben. In his 1984 science-fiction saga "Dreamscape," Ruben put Dennis Quaid and Kate Capshaw through the paces as psychics trying to help clinical patients wrestling with dream demons in their nightmares. The devious title character in Ruben's clever 1987 serial killer thriller "The Stepfather" deluded young women in their 20s with children into marrying him, so he could hack them to pieces and head off to his next victims. Ruben's 1991 white-knuckler "Sleeping with the Enemy" cast Julia Roberts as a battered heroine who deceived her abusive spouse and fled to forge a new identity. "Home Alone's" Macaulay Culkin pulled fiendish stunts in the "The Good Son" (1993) as an evil child who fooled everybody into believing in his innate virtue. N.Y. Transit cops Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson in "The Money Train" (1995) deceived everybody about their part in a police subway robbery. Not surprisingly, Ruben's latest epic "The Forgotten" (*1/2 out of ****) proves no exception about the recurring theme of deception. This deliberately-paced, psychological puzzler, starring Julianne Moore, Gary Sinise, and Alfre Woodard, about missing children and perturbed parents will grip you up to the half-way mark as it draws you slowly but surely into a mystifying predicament involving a delusional mother struggling to preserve the memories of her recently deceased son. Sadly, however, when scenarist Gerald Di Pego of "Phenomenon" fame and Ruben reveal what actually happened to her child, this atmospheric but anemic nail-biter degenerates into a laughable cross-between of an inferior "X-Files" episode and the 1998 Australian sci-fi chiller "Dark City" where curious aliens conducted experiments with humans to determine what made humans humane.

Manhattan children's book editor Telly Paretta (Julianne Moore of "The Big Lebowski") clings tenaciously to sweet memories of her nine-year old son Sam (Christopher Kovaleski of "Mind The Gap") who perished in a plane crash on the way to summer camp. Fourteen months have elapsed since Sam's tragic demise, but Telly still affectionately remembers him. She visits his bedroom often to hold his baseball glove, pore over family photos scrapbook, peruse the newspaper clippings about Sam's death, and stare at videos of him. One day Telly cannot find some of Sam's memorabilia. Initially, she accuses her long-suffering husband, Jim Paretta (Anthony Edwards of "Top Gun"), of removing Sam from family photos. Why is he trying to destroy her tangible memories of Sam? Patiently, Jim tells Telly that she suffered a miscarriage, and they never had a son. Meanwhile, her psychiatrist, Dr. Jack Munce (Gary Sinise of "Forrest Gump"), reminds Telly that she never had a son. Obstinately, Telly refuses to believe her therapist. Munce explains that "paramensia" afflicts her. Essentially, people with paramensia "invent entire alternate lives with imagined friends, imagined families, and imagined children." Before long, Telly wonders if she really has gone off the deep end. She encounters the father of one of Sam's friends. Ex-hockey star Ash Correll (Dominic West of "Mona Lisa Smile") boozes it up regularly these days and hangs out strangely enough on a kids swing-set in a Brooklyn neighborhood park. When Telly quizzes him about his daughter, Lauren (newcomer Kathryn Faughnan) he denies that he ever had a daughter. Eventually, Telly convinces Ash that he really had a daughter, but by then Ash has called the cops. As the NYPD leads Telly away, agents from the National Security Agency arrive and take custody of Telly. Suddenly, Ash reappears and helps Telly escape and the two of them hit the road on the run. When Telly suggests to Ash that somebody called "they" may have abducted their children, a shocked Ash blurts out with a straight face, "I'm having a National Enquirer moment." Director Joseph Ruben does the best that he can to gloss over the preposterous twists and turns in Gerald Di Pego slipshod screenplay that lurches unevenly from stark realism to raving lunacy. Ruben plays it straight as long as possible, until the dialogue gives everything away and credibility collapses in a shambles. Ruben keeps the action moving along at a breathless pace, building up the suspense, but he cannot maintain the same momentum after the third act revelation blows the lid off the mystery. Indeed, the auto accident in "The Forgotten" is about as violent as this PG-13 rated, mind-warping psycho-melodrama gets. Strong, evocative performances, especially from Julianne Moore, Gary Sinise, Anthony Edwards, and Dominic West, lend "The Forgotten" what little dramatic intensity it has before we know the truth. Talk about a supreme letdown! Forget about watching "The Forgotten."

Spilled talents and an insult to logic.

Author: chrisjan from The Netherlands
10 June 2007

I heard about this movie and about how bad it was...so I was kinda curious if this was really the case.

Well I watched the movie on TV last night and all I can say that this movie is an insult to logic & reason with probably the most horrible Hollywood ending ever....and if I'm not mistaking it was the alternate ending (with Telly trying to get in the room of Sam).

The first 40 minutes are OK and interesting...what really happened to Sam? Of course I knew that aliens were involved but still watching this plot unveil left me speechless.

40 minutes in the film Telly all of a sudden feels that she sometimes feels like being "watched"...now where did this come from??????? It literally falls from the sky, this "twist".

There is so much wrong with this movie I could go on and on but the thing that really killed the movie was the ending: Hollywood at it's "finest". Oh and lets not forget the "romatic plot" between Ash and Telly

OK the world is under control by aliens who experiment with humans but at least Telly gets her kid back!

OK one positive thing: A very cool car crash!

Sipmly put: This alien plot didn't work. If the movie would have been situated in the future, OK but this movie tries to be too much (drama, thriller, action, SiFi) but ends up being a big nothing.

forget this film!

Author: WiltonR-M from Australia
25 March 2006

The only spectacular thing about this movie is Julianne Moore's stunning performance, the rest of the movie is just science fiction bullsh!t!

I was at the point of becoming a human vegetable by the end of the film,

and if you ask me the plot is just so pathetic!

I'm not one for science fiction, but i can handle at least some movies of this genre that have good story lines,

but this was a waste of money, I'm talking about the $5.00 i payed to hire it and the production funding!