IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Stinker

Author: truchannuts from United States
27 September 2005

This movie was awful. I thought it would be a cool psychological thriller, but it twisted into a stupid ALIEN movie. I told my husband halfway through this film that if it turned out to be aliens that I would leave. Unfortunately, I didn't leave. This is the stupidest movie I've seen all year. The ending left more questions than answers, and it reminded me of cop-out endings like when the main character just wakes up from a dream at the end. This always happens when an author can't figure out how to get his/her characters out of the mess they're in, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened with this crummy flick. If they would have just messed with the psychological part that they invented in the first half of the movie, I think it would have been much better. And the people flying through the air looked absolutely ridiculous.

Great actress in an awful film

Author: artiquels from miami
28 September 2004

This is a brief comment about The forgotten. It was so dreadful that the friend I came with went in the lobby to play with the amusement machines. I am sure he had more enjoyment than me. A silly and very poor film. Julianne Moore is the only good thing in this bad film. Even the aliens were so poor they only had one alien representing their entire planet. I wonder if it was something to do with the alien actors union. If these aliens ever see this film they will probably return to their planet wondering why humans spend so much money on utter drivel. I have no idea how this film won the backing to be made or why Julianne Moore wanted to make it. She has probably FORGOTTEN the reason.

The Forgotten - soon to be on Lifetime for women?

Author: Kali
28 September 2004

The casting was great, however the actors themselves I feel were less than superb. Julianne Moore plays a mother who has lost her son, and she's out to find him. To me, she came off more annoying than anything. Constant whining, obsessing, and flashbacks every 20 minutes can get under the skin, and is the last thing you'd expect from a 'suspense' film. 'Ash' was implied to be one who 'drinks away his sorrows'. However Dominic's drunken acts were less than believable. Watching this movie reminded me of those cheesy made for TV lifetime flicks where no name actors run around crying about lost kids.

I found absolutely none of it suspenseful. I have no idea where the Sixth Sense comparisons came from, as this movie has nothing in common with it.

To sum it all up - This movie is just a hyped up chick flick with a couple action scenes that fail to take the moment. The only reason I didn't walk out of the theater is because I was uselessly hoping it would pick up.

The forgotten plot (spoiler

Author: finntate from Canada
18 March 2005

This movie had the potential to be interesting but ended up being just another cheesy attempt to recreate the 6th Sense twist. Well here's the twist: ALIENS ARE DOING SOME SORT OF SCIENCE PROJECT ABOUT THE MOTHERS NOT WILLING TO LET GO OF THE MEMORY OF THEIR CHILD! Whooooooooooah! I mean how dull is this? You have a movie with some potential to open the door to some other world co-existence between aliens and "big government" conspiracy theory, and instead it turns into some mediocre science fair project for aliens.

And we wouldn't want to actually go into the conspiracy, hell that might just be a little to interesting.

BUT, the big question to be asked: Why the big elaborate "memory erase", why not just have her accept the fact that her kid was killed in the plane crash? Ohhh I know, because it was was a experiment. Yeah right, doesn't wash. Here's the real reason: the plot wasn't thought through it was forgotten.

Such a disappointment!!

Author: Patricia from Philadelphia, PA
3 October 2004

I had been waiting months for this movie to come out and can I just say how terribly disappointed I was??? I am such a movie person and there are rarely movies that I deem awful, but this movie has made it into the top five on my list of worst movies I have ever seen. The plot was stupid. They had a convenient, yet stupid, way of getting rid of characters they no longer needed. And at the end they never even explained why the stupid plot was occurring. Although, I must say, I did enjoy Dominic West! Please save your time and your money and do not go see it. If you must see it, wait til it is on video and some one you know rented it and borrow it from them! It is honestly that bad!

A tight chase film with an extra terrestrial edge!

Author: peterwink from United Kingdom
29 November 2004

Did not plan to see this film, however was very pleased I did, Moore and her supporting cast were convincing in a tight "chase" film with an extra terrestrial twist, my daughters 16 and 17 enjoyed it to.

The plot was not complex and without any foreknowledge my youngest suggested aliens may be to blame. The shocks were good causing a few gasps in the Newcastle audience, and I thought the idea for the film excellent, my only criticism being it was almost X files in its content.

The best supporting performance in my opinion came from Alfre Woodard, although I thought she opened fire on the alien experimenter rather hastily, (glad I don't live in NY), the effects were good without being flashy, and it is a "scary film" suitable for 12+ very little swearing and no scenes of passion, just a good tight thriller with an edge

Just a GREAT movie

Author: Josephine Cox (ermysa) from Buenos Aires
15 January 2005

I'm sure there are lots of people all around the world that hated this movie, in fact, most of the people I know and saw the film, hated it, or just didn't like it. The thing is, if you start questioning why the producers, director, whoever, put those ridiculous effects (when people jump from the ground to the sky or when they explode), you won't like the movie. In my case, it really touched me. The "aliens" or whatever they were were doing this experiment, trying to prove if a child can be "forgotten", specially by his/her mother. It was working pretty good, until Julianne More proved them wrong: a mother never forgets. How can you forget someone you love more than your own life? Actually, it's very deep and philosophical: did our relatives, friends, really died? is it all just our imagination? But the main aim (in my opinion) of the film is to show how strong a mother-child link is. A mother is the only one who will never forget her kid, and will ever believe that is alive, at least in her heart, and that's what the movie tries to show. I totally recommend it, but please, for those who don't have a brain and go to the movies to see just a science fiction movie, don't bother, you'll hate it.

Something best forgotten.

Author: strafenkinder-1 from Philippines
17 November 2007

The Forgettable by Doy Ariola

Poor Julianne Moore. Everyone thinks she's out of her mind. She thinks she has a son who died in a plane crash and nobody -- not even her husband -- believes her. Her shrink (Gary Sinise) tells Moore that it's her mind playing games. But she knows otherwise. She's in a gag/game show. And if she becomes Nancy Drew long enough, the prize is her son.

The Wire's Dominic West plays the disconnected drunk who can't seem to place a finger whether or not he has a daughter. That is until Moore pays him a visit and starts ripping out the wallpaper to show him that something's amiss! Dominic West then becomes Moore's Hardy Boy. Better yet, he becomes the Scully to her Mulder.

Sleeping With the Enemy director Joseph Ruben weaves a yarn that looks and feels like an "X-Files" episode with some "Days Of Our Lives" thrown in for good measure. This movie has nothing really original going for it, let alone a plot that makes you care about the characters. Maybe this is because everyone's either grim or amnesiac!

"The Forgotten" has the trappings of a psychological thriller. Establishing the idea that the main character as delusional and amnesiac may be curious. We've seen that before in "Gothika". But, in effect, the result sounds more like a ratings stunt for a soap opera than a movie premise.

To those who have seen the trailer, we are more curious about that scene where that guy from "Oz" gets sucked up into the ceiling. I guess you can say that characters being sucked up into the ceiling can be original. After watching it, one senses a similar effect after reading a National Enquirer article. You feel the producers of the movie is just being weird for weirdness' sake.

In all stories, characters are reduced to pawns to progress the story. However, Ruben and his writers may have taken this a little too literally! It was actually morbid fun to see a criminally underused Alfre Woodard being sucked up into the sky like a puppet being unceremoniously removed from the play. This not only makes the story ludicrously implausible and so easy for audiences to scoff off. That stunt made my suspension of disbelief -- that's been hanging on a tenuous thread for quite some time -- to snap.

Julianne Moore is as always a dependable actress who can carry a movie. The first thirty minutes is an example of this. It delves on her supposed mental state and how the people around her are reacting to it. While she's quite evocative, everything else is awfully blah. The scenes are pure melodrama. Something that's good enough but pretty forgettable.

What's more, Julianne Moore seems to start looking like herself in most of her movies. For a moment there, I thought she was Agent Starling!

Halfway through, the director thankfully enough changes gears. He segues to a series of chase sequences between the main characters against the G-men who wants to capture them. But you're not pulled into the story. It goes on and on up until Woodard and Sinise's characters usher the movie to the twist. At that time, my mind was already wandering and dinner had more allure to me than these characters' adventure.

There would have been many opportunities to make the ho-hum plot into something new. But Ruben isn't interested to redeem himself. Trying to be PG-13 safe seemed more important than rousing the audience. It's like he was making this as a primetime TV movie. Maybe that's why this movie failed to interest me: the lost opportunities.

Though I will not spoil the ending, be forewarned that this movie embodies what most movies of this year are guilty of: i.e. a clunky plot that justifies an anemic climax. Mind you, everything's explained in a neat package in the end. But if you're one who's willing to invest your attention to the entire thing, don't expect fireworks. You probably would have appreciated an ambiguous X-Files type of revelation and it dawns on you that you might feel cheated out of the ending. But let's just say that "The Forgotten" portrays aliens as really bad psychoanalysts.

I recommend that you sit this one out and wait for the movie on cable. If not for the cast, The Forgotten may as well be an episode of X-Files or supernatural TV movie of the month. Two movies of its ilk -- Richard Gere's The Mothman Prophecy's and Halle Berry's "Gothika's" -- have more spooks per minute and thereby, more entertaining. So, catch those instead.

By the way, if you want to see Moore on a similar genre, with a story that's more satisfying, check out Todd Haynes' "Safe".

Forget about watching "The Forgotten!"

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
21 June 2007

Deception plays an integral part in the films of director Joseph Ruben. In his 1984 science-fiction saga "Dreamscape," Ruben put Dennis Quaid and Kate Capshaw through the paces as psychics trying to help clinical patients wrestling with dream demons in their nightmares. The devious title character in Ruben's clever 1987 serial killer thriller "The Stepfather" deluded young women in their 20s with children into marrying him, so he could hack them to pieces and head off to his next victims. Ruben's 1991 white-knuckler "Sleeping with the Enemy" cast Julia Roberts as a battered heroine who deceived her abusive spouse and fled to forge a new identity. "Home Alone's" Macaulay Culkin pulled fiendish stunts in the "The Good Son" (1993) as an evil child who fooled everybody into believing in his innate virtue. N.Y. Transit cops Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson in "The Money Train" (1995) deceived everybody about their part in a police subway robbery. Not surprisingly, Ruben's latest epic "The Forgotten" (*1/2 out of ****) proves no exception about the recurring theme of deception. This deliberately-paced, psychological puzzler, starring Julianne Moore, Gary Sinise, and Alfre Woodard, about missing children and perturbed parents will grip you up to the half-way mark as it draws you slowly but surely into a mystifying predicament involving a delusional mother struggling to preserve the memories of her recently deceased son. Sadly, however, when scenarist Gerald Di Pego of "Phenomenon" fame and Ruben reveal what actually happened to her child, this atmospheric but anemic nail-biter degenerates into a laughable cross-between of an inferior "X-Files" episode and the 1998 Australian sci-fi chiller "Dark City" where curious aliens conducted experiments with humans to determine what made humans humane.

Manhattan children's book editor Telly Paretta (Julianne Moore of "The Big Lebowski") clings tenaciously to sweet memories of her nine-year old son Sam (Christopher Kovaleski of "Mind The Gap") who perished in a plane crash on the way to summer camp. Fourteen months have elapsed since Sam's tragic demise, but Telly still affectionately remembers him. She visits his bedroom often to hold his baseball glove, pore over family photos scrapbook, peruse the newspaper clippings about Sam's death, and stare at videos of him. One day Telly cannot find some of Sam's memorabilia. Initially, she accuses her long-suffering husband, Jim Paretta (Anthony Edwards of "Top Gun"), of removing Sam from family photos. Why is he trying to destroy her tangible memories of Sam? Patiently, Jim tells Telly that she suffered a miscarriage, and they never had a son. Meanwhile, her psychiatrist, Dr. Jack Munce (Gary Sinise of "Forrest Gump"), reminds Telly that she never had a son. Obstinately, Telly refuses to believe her therapist. Munce explains that "paramensia" afflicts her. Essentially, people with paramensia "invent entire alternate lives with imagined friends, imagined families, and imagined children." Before long, Telly wonders if she really has gone off the deep end. She encounters the father of one of Sam's friends. Ex-hockey star Ash Correll (Dominic West of "Mona Lisa Smile") boozes it up regularly these days and hangs out strangely enough on a kids swing-set in a Brooklyn neighborhood park. When Telly quizzes him about his daughter, Lauren (newcomer Kathryn Faughnan) he denies that he ever had a daughter. Eventually, Telly convinces Ash that he really had a daughter, but by then Ash has called the cops. As the NYPD leads Telly away, agents from the National Security Agency arrive and take custody of Telly. Suddenly, Ash reappears and helps Telly escape and the two of them hit the road on the run. When Telly suggests to Ash that somebody called "they" may have abducted their children, a shocked Ash blurts out with a straight face, "I'm having a National Enquirer moment." Director Joseph Ruben does the best that he can to gloss over the preposterous twists and turns in Gerald Di Pego slipshod screenplay that lurches unevenly from stark realism to raving lunacy. Ruben plays it straight as long as possible, until the dialogue gives everything away and credibility collapses in a shambles. Ruben keeps the action moving along at a breathless pace, building up the suspense, but he cannot maintain the same momentum after the third act revelation blows the lid off the mystery. Indeed, the auto accident in "The Forgotten" is about as violent as this PG-13 rated, mind-warping psycho-melodrama gets. Strong, evocative performances, especially from Julianne Moore, Gary Sinise, Anthony Edwards, and Dominic West, lend "The Forgotten" what little dramatic intensity it has before we know the truth. Talk about a supreme letdown! Forget about watching "The Forgotten."

forget this film!

Author: WiltonR-M from Australia
25 March 2006

The only spectacular thing about this movie is Julianne Moore's stunning performance, the rest of the movie is just science fiction bullsh!t!

I was at the point of becoming a human vegetable by the end of the film,

and if you ask me the plot is just so pathetic!

I'm not one for science fiction, but i can handle at least some movies of this genre that have good story lines,

but this was a waste of money, I'm talking about the $5.00 i payed to hire it and the production funding!