IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 44: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Just a GREAT movie

Author: Josephine Cox (ermysa) from Buenos Aires
15 January 2005

I'm sure there are lots of people all around the world that hated this movie, in fact, most of the people I know and saw the film, hated it, or just didn't like it. The thing is, if you start questioning why the producers, director, whoever, put those ridiculous effects (when people jump from the ground to the sky or when they explode), you won't like the movie. In my case, it really touched me. The "aliens" or whatever they were were doing this experiment, trying to prove if a child can be "forgotten", specially by his/her mother. It was working pretty good, until Julianne More proved them wrong: a mother never forgets. How can you forget someone you love more than your own life? Actually, it's very deep and philosophical: did our relatives, friends, really died? is it all just our imagination? But the main aim (in my opinion) of the film is to show how strong a mother-child link is. A mother is the only one who will never forget her kid, and will ever believe that is alive, at least in her heart, and that's what the movie tries to show. I totally recommend it, but please, for those who don't have a brain and go to the movies to see just a science fiction movie, don't bother, you'll hate it.

Stinker

Author: truchannuts from United States
27 September 2005

This movie was awful. I thought it would be a cool psychological thriller, but it twisted into a stupid ALIEN movie. I told my husband halfway through this film that if it turned out to be aliens that I would leave. Unfortunately, I didn't leave. This is the stupidest movie I've seen all year. The ending left more questions than answers, and it reminded me of cop-out endings like when the main character just wakes up from a dream at the end. This always happens when an author can't figure out how to get his/her characters out of the mess they're in, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened with this crummy flick. If they would have just messed with the psychological part that they invented in the first half of the movie, I think it would have been much better. And the people flying through the air looked absolutely ridiculous.

A tight chase film with an extra terrestrial edge!

Author: peterwink from Co Durham UK
29 November 2004

Did not plan to see this film, however was very pleased I did, Moore and her supporting cast were convincing in a tight "chase" film with an extra terrestrial twist, my daughters 16 and 17 enjoyed it to.

The plot was not complex and without any foreknowledge my youngest suggested aliens may be to blame. The shocks were good causing a few gasps in the Newcastle audience, and I thought the idea for the film excellent, my only criticism being it was almost X files in its content.

The best supporting performance in my opinion came from Alfre Woodard, although I thought she opened fire on the alien experimenter rather hastily, (glad I don't live in NY), the effects were good without being flashy, and it is a "scary film" suitable for 12+ very little swearing and no scenes of passion, just a good tight thriller with an edge

Something best forgotten.

Author: strafenkinder-1 from Philippines
17 November 2007

The Forgettable by Doy Ariola

Poor Julianne Moore. Everyone thinks she's out of her mind. She thinks she has a son who died in a plane crash and nobody -- not even her husband -- believes her. Her shrink (Gary Sinise) tells Moore that it's her mind playing games. But she knows otherwise. She's in a gag/game show. And if she becomes Nancy Drew long enough, the prize is her son.

The Wire's Dominic West plays the disconnected drunk who can't seem to place a finger whether or not he has a daughter. That is until Moore pays him a visit and starts ripping out the wallpaper to show him that something's amiss! Dominic West then becomes Moore's Hardy Boy. Better yet, he becomes the Scully to her Mulder.

Sleeping With the Enemy director Joseph Ruben weaves a yarn that looks and feels like an "X-Files" episode with some "Days Of Our Lives" thrown in for good measure. This movie has nothing really original going for it, let alone a plot that makes you care about the characters. Maybe this is because everyone's either grim or amnesiac!

"The Forgotten" has the trappings of a psychological thriller. Establishing the idea that the main character as delusional and amnesiac may be curious. We've seen that before in "Gothika". But, in effect, the result sounds more like a ratings stunt for a soap opera than a movie premise.

To those who have seen the trailer, we are more curious about that scene where that guy from "Oz" gets sucked up into the ceiling. I guess you can say that characters being sucked up into the ceiling can be original. After watching it, one senses a similar effect after reading a National Enquirer article. You feel the producers of the movie is just being weird for weirdness' sake.

In all stories, characters are reduced to pawns to progress the story. However, Ruben and his writers may have taken this a little too literally! It was actually morbid fun to see a criminally underused Alfre Woodard being sucked up into the sky like a puppet being unceremoniously removed from the play. This not only makes the story ludicrously implausible and so easy for audiences to scoff off. That stunt made my suspension of disbelief -- that's been hanging on a tenuous thread for quite some time -- to snap.

Julianne Moore is as always a dependable actress who can carry a movie. The first thirty minutes is an example of this. It delves on her supposed mental state and how the people around her are reacting to it. While she's quite evocative, everything else is awfully blah. The scenes are pure melodrama. Something that's good enough but pretty forgettable.

What's more, Julianne Moore seems to start looking like herself in most of her movies. For a moment there, I thought she was Agent Starling!

Halfway through, the director thankfully enough changes gears. He segues to a series of chase sequences between the main characters against the G-men who wants to capture them. But you're not pulled into the story. It goes on and on up until Woodard and Sinise's characters usher the movie to the twist. At that time, my mind was already wandering and dinner had more allure to me than these characters' adventure.

There would have been many opportunities to make the ho-hum plot into something new. But Ruben isn't interested to redeem himself. Trying to be PG-13 safe seemed more important than rousing the audience. It's like he was making this as a primetime TV movie. Maybe that's why this movie failed to interest me: the lost opportunities.

Though I will not spoil the ending, be forewarned that this movie embodies what most movies of this year are guilty of: i.e. a clunky plot that justifies an anemic climax. Mind you, everything's explained in a neat package in the end. But if you're one who's willing to invest your attention to the entire thing, don't expect fireworks. You probably would have appreciated an ambiguous X-Files type of revelation and it dawns on you that you might feel cheated out of the ending. But let's just say that "The Forgotten" portrays aliens as really bad psychoanalysts.

I recommend that you sit this one out and wait for the movie on cable. If not for the cast, The Forgotten may as well be an episode of X-Files or supernatural TV movie of the month. Two movies of its ilk -- Richard Gere's The Mothman Prophecy's and Halle Berry's "Gothika's" -- have more spooks per minute and thereby, more entertaining. So, catch those instead.

By the way, if you want to see Moore on a similar genre, with a story that's more satisfying, check out Todd Haynes' "Safe".

What happened to everybody?

Author: jtur88 from Michigan
6 February 2006

The thing that made this movie unsatisfying was the huge gaps in the plot that were left unaddressed by either of the main characters or by the screenwriter. The principle players were a very handsome man and a very attractive woman, who meet each other under the circumstances of having lost a child, a fact that somehow seems to be erased from the memories of almost everybody. With superhuman dedication, they resolve to find their own children, but it never occurs to them to seek out the parents of the other four children were also killed in a plane crash. Not even with the objective of sorting out clues as their own mystery, and even less out of concern for the parents, whether grieving or forgetful. And then at the end the lovely couple meets again, everything seemingly back in its rightful place. But wait a minute: Doesn't she have a husband? Who has now presumably been relieved of the forgetfulness which seemed to be the focus of their estrangement? The movie just ended, with most of the cast simply written out of the script and the protagonists grinning in a vacuum. Which is unfortunate, because this picture had a good and believable cast, and the parts were played quite respectably.

Not nearly as exciting as I expected.

Author: ferrario from Scranton, Pennsylvania
11 October 2004

When hearing on GMA that it was one of the scariest movies in years, I couldn't wait to see The Forgotten. I was very disappointed - more so because I expected maybe too much. Doesn't even touch The Sixth Sense. I was disappointed - as usual these days - the LOUDNESS of the sound is what makes you jump at certain "scare" scenes. I'm still searching for a good scary movie. Once in a while a movie comes out that makes me happy - but usually the movie sets its sights, such as The Forgotten, on the good ole' "men from outerspace" theme. I'm sick of that. There's enough stories to base a good thriller on that happens right here on earth. Now I must continue to type to take up the 10 lines you need to publish your comments. Blah blah blah.

Should be retitled, "Forget about it."

Author: Barbara Turner
11 October 2004

Although it started out with potential and had a few good quickie shock visuals, the plot was endless, boring and then ended as completely silly! Endless running through the streets, drab script as far as dialogue between the characters. I never did figure out how the cool female detective found out what truly was happening. I think there were some cut scenes due to budget or something. Next thing you know, she's zapped into the air. The first couple of "zaps" were heartstopping. The rest of them were business as usual. I think the writers knew the script was not full of exciting stuff and tried to overcompensate with zapping additional people into the air from time to time. And the reason for all of this? Once you find out at the end of the movie, it is truly incredulous and laughable (in fact, a lot of us did laugh in the theater)...The title is appropriate. In my mind, this is "The Forgotten" movie of the season/year.

Easily forgotten; Don't read this unless you've seen the film!

Author: gartner from Washingtonville
2 October 2004

The never exactly stated but obvious 'Alien' connection is disappointing and just seems like a cop out. It's almost like the writer felt he had written himself into a corner and that just making the 'bad guys' turn out to be aliens would take care of any loose ends. What we are left with is 'mysterious mean aliens' who can do anything.....except make one human forget loved ones....

Why are aliens conducting experiments to see if they can break the mother/child bond? Not a clue but who can blame them?....rectal probing only holds your attention for so long I suspect : ) I've read some postings which suggest this film as a being in the class of the 6th Sense. It's not in the same hemisphere. It's nowhere near as intelligent or meticulous in it's construction and the ending is certainly no surprise to any one who has ever watched a few X Files re-runs.

what a disappointment!

Huh?

Author: jrayer from Ohio
29 September 2004

SPOILER ALERT The Forgotten is a ridiculous film. It has some fine moments, and the first half of the film is interesting as you try to figure out what is causing people to forget and information to disappear. Then you find out that it's space aliens. After watching the movie, your head will just about explode thinking through the logic of the film. Especially confusing is that the aliens set up this flight for the children that they were going to abduct. Well, after the plane "crashes" apparently the airline is sued and put out of business. This happens to be very convenient so that Julianne Moore's character can find out the truth. The strange thing is that the aliens have the ability to make newspaper stories disappear, to make people forget that others exist, but they can't shake the IRS from taking down their airline. Oh, my head hurts already. Trust me, skip this movie!

Great actress in an awful film

Author: artiquels from miami
28 September 2004

This is a brief comment about The forgotten. It was so dreadful that the friend I came with went in the lobby to play with the amusement machines. I am sure he had more enjoyment than me. A silly and very poor film. Julianne Moore is the only good thing in this bad film. Even the aliens were so poor they only had one alien representing their entire planet. I wonder if it was something to do with the alien actors union. If these aliens ever see this film they will probably return to their planet wondering why humans spend so much money on utter drivel. I have no idea how this film won the backing to be made or why Julianne Moore wanted to make it. She has probably FORGOTTEN the reason.