IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 44: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

The exact opposite of "The Village" and just as bad.

Author: (jeh_19762002) from Rochester, NY
24 September 2004

Contains Spoiler We received free tickets to see this movie before the opening and I must say I've never wanted to reclaim 2.5 hours of my life more badly. Mel Gibson's line "Give me back my son!" in Ransom is echoed over and over again. That chant, combined with hand held jittery camera pans and a complete lack of plot led me to shut my eyes more often than not- all to prevent both motion sickness and physical sickness (due to the fact I was stuck in the middle of a packed theatre).

Plot Spoilers: Kid dies in plane crash. Mom sees therapist. Therapist tells mom she's crazy. Mom starts imagining things. NSA shows up. Mom meets drunk dad. Drunk 'remembers' lost kid. More nauseating street scenes. Mom is hit by SUV but walks away fine. (commercial, best scene 1). Hide in some bushes and escape. Figure it all out, watch some people escape, Mom is the last survivor and 'gets' her son back.

Skip this movie.

Stinker

Author: truchannuts from United States
27 September 2005

This movie was awful. I thought it would be a cool psychological thriller, but it twisted into a stupid ALIEN movie. I told my husband halfway through this film that if it turned out to be aliens that I would leave. Unfortunately, I didn't leave. This is the stupidest movie I've seen all year. The ending left more questions than answers, and it reminded me of cop-out endings like when the main character just wakes up from a dream at the end. This always happens when an author can't figure out how to get his/her characters out of the mess they're in, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened with this crummy flick. If they would have just messed with the psychological part that they invented in the first half of the movie, I think it would have been much better. And the people flying through the air looked absolutely ridiculous.

So many good ingredients, it's a pity the film isn't better...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
7 May 2010

Screenwriter Gerald Di Pego comes up with an interesting new slant on a well-trodden movie idea: grieving woman is obsessed with the child she lost to a plane crash, and refuses to accept it when her husband, neighbor, and psychiatrist all tell her he never existed. Conspiracy thriller with science-fiction overtures steps a little bit into "Close Encounters" territory, but manages to hold the viewer with strong individual scenes and a lovely, matter-of-fact lead performance by Julianne Moore. However, the editing goes slack by the film's midsection, with Moore constantly on the run and Di Pego's script scrambling to explain itself whilst keeping the audience in suspense. It's a gambit which doesn't quite pay off. Supporting characters played by Anthony Edwards and Alfre Woodard are unceremoniously shafted, while the tepid final act (more running) leaves a bushel of unanswered questions and unrealized ideas behind. The chilly cinematography (grayish blues and whites) is artsy and distracting, and the overall result smacks of too many cooks. **1/2 from ****

The Forgotten: Nice plot, predictable ending

Author: gabrieljosue from Brazil
21 December 2004

I must admit that the movie was very interesting. in fact it goes together with our never ending search of the unknown. questions like "who are we?" "where do we come from" are often pounding our heads. despite the predictable ending, I should say that it was somewhat "inspiring", in terms of letting our imagination flow as to whether aliens do really exist or not.I would advise people to see it! we all have a little bit of curiosity to find out the reason why of everything around. maybe the director of the movie is no exception to the rule. the cast is fantastic! they did a pretty good job! My rating is 8., the thing is, I think it should be a little more suspenseful.

Something best forgotten.

Author: strafenkinder-1 from Philippines
17 November 2007

The Forgettable by Doy Ariola

Poor Julianne Moore. Everyone thinks she's out of her mind. She thinks she has a son who died in a plane crash and nobody -- not even her husband -- believes her. Her shrink (Gary Sinise) tells Moore that it's her mind playing games. But she knows otherwise. She's in a gag/game show. And if she becomes Nancy Drew long enough, the prize is her son.

The Wire's Dominic West plays the disconnected drunk who can't seem to place a finger whether or not he has a daughter. That is until Moore pays him a visit and starts ripping out the wallpaper to show him that something's amiss! Dominic West then becomes Moore's Hardy Boy. Better yet, he becomes the Scully to her Mulder.

Sleeping With the Enemy director Joseph Ruben weaves a yarn that looks and feels like an "X-Files" episode with some "Days Of Our Lives" thrown in for good measure. This movie has nothing really original going for it, let alone a plot that makes you care about the characters. Maybe this is because everyone's either grim or amnesiac!

"The Forgotten" has the trappings of a psychological thriller. Establishing the idea that the main character as delusional and amnesiac may be curious. We've seen that before in "Gothika". But, in effect, the result sounds more like a ratings stunt for a soap opera than a movie premise.

To those who have seen the trailer, we are more curious about that scene where that guy from "Oz" gets sucked up into the ceiling. I guess you can say that characters being sucked up into the ceiling can be original. After watching it, one senses a similar effect after reading a National Enquirer article. You feel the producers of the movie is just being weird for weirdness' sake.

In all stories, characters are reduced to pawns to progress the story. However, Ruben and his writers may have taken this a little too literally! It was actually morbid fun to see a criminally underused Alfre Woodard being sucked up into the sky like a puppet being unceremoniously removed from the play. This not only makes the story ludicrously implausible and so easy for audiences to scoff off. That stunt made my suspension of disbelief -- that's been hanging on a tenuous thread for quite some time -- to snap.

Julianne Moore is as always a dependable actress who can carry a movie. The first thirty minutes is an example of this. It delves on her supposed mental state and how the people around her are reacting to it. While she's quite evocative, everything else is awfully blah. The scenes are pure melodrama. Something that's good enough but pretty forgettable.

What's more, Julianne Moore seems to start looking like herself in most of her movies. For a moment there, I thought she was Agent Starling!

Halfway through, the director thankfully enough changes gears. He segues to a series of chase sequences between the main characters against the G-men who wants to capture them. But you're not pulled into the story. It goes on and on up until Woodard and Sinise's characters usher the movie to the twist. At that time, my mind was already wandering and dinner had more allure to me than these characters' adventure.

There would have been many opportunities to make the ho-hum plot into something new. But Ruben isn't interested to redeem himself. Trying to be PG-13 safe seemed more important than rousing the audience. It's like he was making this as a primetime TV movie. Maybe that's why this movie failed to interest me: the lost opportunities.

Though I will not spoil the ending, be forewarned that this movie embodies what most movies of this year are guilty of: i.e. a clunky plot that justifies an anemic climax. Mind you, everything's explained in a neat package in the end. But if you're one who's willing to invest your attention to the entire thing, don't expect fireworks. You probably would have appreciated an ambiguous X-Files type of revelation and it dawns on you that you might feel cheated out of the ending. But let's just say that "The Forgotten" portrays aliens as really bad psychoanalysts.

I recommend that you sit this one out and wait for the movie on cable. If not for the cast, The Forgotten may as well be an episode of X-Files or supernatural TV movie of the month. Two movies of its ilk -- Richard Gere's The Mothman Prophecy's and Halle Berry's "Gothika's" -- have more spooks per minute and thereby, more entertaining. So, catch those instead.

By the way, if you want to see Moore on a similar genre, with a story that's more satisfying, check out Todd Haynes' "Safe".

What happened to everybody?

Author: jtur88 from Michigan
6 February 2006

The thing that made this movie unsatisfying was the huge gaps in the plot that were left unaddressed by either of the main characters or by the screenwriter. The principle players were a very handsome man and a very attractive woman, who meet each other under the circumstances of having lost a child, a fact that somehow seems to be erased from the memories of almost everybody. With superhuman dedication, they resolve to find their own children, but it never occurs to them to seek out the parents of the other four children were also killed in a plane crash. Not even with the objective of sorting out clues as their own mystery, and even less out of concern for the parents, whether grieving or forgetful. And then at the end the lovely couple meets again, everything seemingly back in its rightful place. But wait a minute: Doesn't she have a husband? Who has now presumably been relieved of the forgetfulness which seemed to be the focus of their estrangement? The movie just ended, with most of the cast simply written out of the script and the protagonists grinning in a vacuum. Which is unfortunate, because this picture had a good and believable cast, and the parts were played quite respectably.

Oy!

Author: geophyrd from North Woodmere, NY
25 October 2004

Has anyone gone to see The Forgotten? Jesus...this was a movie that seems to have been made first by an excellent director and then edited by committee.

Make no mistake the first 90% of the movie is excellent, gripping, remarkable. There were a few points that scared hell out of me.

But the ending! (light spoilers) Oh! The ending!

I have a theory. I believe the movie has a different ending somewhere, something in keeping with the entire rest of the movie. It is cool and subtle and probably didn't end very well. It was entirely believable and made you want to continue falling in love with Julianne Moore. That's the ending I'm hoping is on the DVD.

The one I saw...must have been shot after a test audience of morons voted something different. It made sense with the rest of the movie but damned if it didn't completely jump the tracks! Any other opinions?

Not nearly as exciting as I expected.

Author: ferrario from Scranton, Pennsylvania
11 October 2004

When hearing on GMA that it was one of the scariest movies in years, I couldn't wait to see The Forgotten. I was very disappointed - more so because I expected maybe too much. Doesn't even touch The Sixth Sense. I was disappointed - as usual these days - the LOUDNESS of the sound is what makes you jump at certain "scare" scenes. I'm still searching for a good scary movie. Once in a while a movie comes out that makes me happy - but usually the movie sets its sights, such as The Forgotten, on the good ole' "men from outerspace" theme. I'm sick of that. There's enough stories to base a good thriller on that happens right here on earth. Now I must continue to type to take up the 10 lines you need to publish your comments. Blah blah blah.

Should be retitled, "Forget about it."

Author: Barbara Turner
11 October 2004

Although it started out with potential and had a few good quickie shock visuals, the plot was endless, boring and then ended as completely silly! Endless running through the streets, drab script as far as dialogue between the characters. I never did figure out how the cool female detective found out what truly was happening. I think there were some cut scenes due to budget or something. Next thing you know, she's zapped into the air. The first couple of "zaps" were heartstopping. The rest of them were business as usual. I think the writers knew the script was not full of exciting stuff and tried to overcompensate with zapping additional people into the air from time to time. And the reason for all of this? Once you find out at the end of the movie, it is truly incredulous and laughable (in fact, a lot of us did laugh in the theater)...The title is appropriate. In my mind, this is "The Forgotten" movie of the season/year.

Easily forgotten; Don't read this unless you've seen the film!

Author: gartner from Washingtonville
2 October 2004

The never exactly stated but obvious 'Alien' connection is disappointing and just seems like a cop out. It's almost like the writer felt he had written himself into a corner and that just making the 'bad guys' turn out to be aliens would take care of any loose ends. What we are left with is 'mysterious mean aliens' who can do anything.....except make one human forget loved ones....

Why are aliens conducting experiments to see if they can break the mother/child bond? Not a clue but who can blame them?....rectal probing only holds your attention for so long I suspect : ) I've read some postings which suggest this film as a being in the class of the 6th Sense. It's not in the same hemisphere. It's nowhere near as intelligent or meticulous in it's construction and the ending is certainly no surprise to any one who has ever watched a few X Files re-runs.

what a disappointment!