IMDb > The Forgotten (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Forgotten

The Forgotten More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 45: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Just 'Forget' it.

Author: silentcheesedude from Florida, USA
28 October 2004

What does one do when your memories are erased? What does one do when a part of your life is taken away? Go to therapy, try to trust people again, and cry a lot. That's what Julianne Moore does, as she whines through what seems a painful script not fit for her. Or even most of the actors in this movie.

Starting off as a frantic look in what possibly could be a frightful take at the human mind, and what it is capable of doing,(alternate realities, imaginary friends) The Forgotten ends up trashing itself, long before the conclusion.

Most of the trailers that I watched for this movie end up giving away some of it's conclusion anyway, which I won't spoil, but needless to say, you would have to have your brain turned off to appreciate anything beyond the middle of the film.

Minor Spoilers ahead (but I won't spoil the ending):

Adding government conspiracy and getting loopholes in too many corners of the script pretty much gives the red-herring syndrome, the trouble is, your NOT SUPPOSED to KNOW they are red-herrings. You do in here, and it doesn't help the script any, which I may add, is written by Gerald Dipego, master of garbage treats like Angle Eyes,& Message in a Bottle. And does anyone remember The Good Son?

End of Minor useless Spoilers.

Lately it's become a 'necessity' to add twists in films. Joseph Ruben, the director, has no idea how to do this. Given the mediocre script, I don't blame him. But he just hasn't had a good film in ages, has very little films in his line up, and most of them perform poorly at the box office. He CAN direct tight action sequences, and some of his suspense films aren't bad, it's just that he probably should stick to non-brain films. Oh, wait, this isn't a brain film.

Just forget The Forgotten

Ahhh, I forgot, wait... oh yea, It was better than I expected!

Author: Tony Muckleroy from Houston, TX
27 October 2004

OK I have to say up front, I am not a Moore fan. Am I supposed to like her because of her stage performances or something? Sorry I'm not that complex.

I just watch movies, in fact I don't like to read books, because they always ruin the movie for me. ;o)

"The Forgotten" nice movie. I guess I figured out what the primary plot was about half way through the movie. I was disappointed that the special effects were almost nil. Still a good story will go much farther that a butt-load of special effects. This is a good story, however it would have been nice to understand a little more about, ahhh, well see the movie and you'll know where I'm going with this.

Good movie, good ending, except I wanted a little more of an explanation at the end.

???

Author: flipflopfetish from San Fransisco, California
14 October 2004

The Forgotten started out pretty well. It was a good idea. I like horror movies, and I thought that a freaky plot with someone's children being 'forgotten' by everyone except for the main character would be really cool. In the beginning, it was. Julianne Moore did a really good job playing a mother who might be deranged, when she forgets where she parked her car, or where she had coffee. And Anthony Edwards did a good job playing the drunk single guy sitting on a swing. But once the car crash happened, it sort of went from being a really scary movie to a BANG movie, where there are loud noises and you are surprised, but not really scared. And then, when people started being sucked into the air, well, that just ruined it. So, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that The Forgotten had the potential to be a really good movie, but the writers/ directors just changed their minds about it.

Distracted by boom microphones.

Author: Cameron Curwood from Kitchener, Ontario
12 October 2004

A great drinking game for this movie (when it appears on DVD): Every time you see a boom mic, take a drink!

The movie was OK, at times, but mainly predictable and clichéd, but perhaps I did not really notice, since I was noticing and seeing microphones everywhere... then was distracted by watching other people in the theatre notice them and point laughing.

Maybe it would be better to drink before the movie, so that way you can get through it without worrying about paying the money for a sloppily made movie.

I gave it a 5 out of 10... it was OK at times and had potential but in general was inadequate.

96 minutes that should be Forgotten

Author: d_art from LA Area
27 September 2004

The story centers around a woman (Julianne Moore) who has recurring memories of her son (who everyone says did not exist). As she digs around more, she finds herself in... well, cliché-land, or more precisely, lazy cliché-land. (I don't know if saying more will spoil the movie since there's not much more to the movie to begin with). To the movie's credit, there are about two or few scenes where people will jump (or have a heart attack) because of sudden loud burst of sound accompanied by whichever "shocking" event is happening. I personally don't like these kind of "jump" tactics unless the movie had some weight in other areas (like characterization and plot, for example) Unfortunately this movie is lacking in those other areas. Plot doesn't really honestly lead to anywhere new, much of the dialogue were laughable (or at least much of the audience were laughing at the silliness of it), if not overly repetitive (honestly, how many times do we have to be reminded of Julianne Moore's attachment to her son?). Is there anything else interesting about Julianne Moore's character? The conclusion (slight spoiler) turn out to be a huge let-down as the movie-makers did not even bother to make sense of the logic of the movie (and what's the purpose of this experiment?) in any way or even explain what's REALLY going on. It might've been easier just to say the main character was on drugs the whole time. The whole memory-loss idea has several origins from Dark City, except of course Dark City is much more better and infinitely more entertaining. My overall impression of the movie? Ouch. 3/10

*SPOILERS* Stay away *SPOILERS*

Author: Matt Rivenbark (matt@pipeline.com) from United States
26 September 2004

Do all your friends a favor -- ruin the "twist" to this movie (if it can be called that) as quickly as possible so they don't get suckered into the hype of the movie.

I'm not quite ready to acknowledge that this one has a true twist in the plot because it becomes pretty obvious early in the movie, in the form of that haunting voice in the back of your head that slows down for car wrecks thinking "oh no, I hope they're not gonna turn to aliens." Too bad. Our prayers -- and any hope that this movie could be salvaged as an interesting psychological thriller -- are quickly tossed aside.

I can't even be convinced that the filmmakers were taking this one seriously. Everybody knows that Mel Gibson took the line "Give me back my son" off the market for missing kid movies. I was hoping that they wouldn't resort to using it, but sure enough, they blew that one too. On what planet would an obvious reference to a much better movie be missed?

I'm sure TNT will pick this one up in a year or so and run it 8 times a day for a month. Hold out until then to watch this one.

Too much movie for the plot

Author: Lukizaladi from Round Rock, TX
25 September 2004

The concept was interesting, however the movie dragged and seemed to be filling time in some scenes. I used the restroom DURING the movie, came back and hadn't missed a thing. Although Julianne Moore gave a good portrayal of a mother recovering from a horrible loss, I felt this was one of the few effective parts of the film. I felt there was no real support for the plot; to reinforce the concept, which in effect created a facile ending. "The Forgotten" reminded me more of a "made for TV" movie with consistent reinforcement of the plot basis. I evaluate movies as: a "good rental" or "theater" movie...this one wouldn't hit "good" on the "rental". "The Forgotten" may be a movie to watch when you tend to catnap through films.

forget this one!

Author: vie324 from Portland, Maine
25 September 2004

The first half of "The Forgotten" plays with ambiguity: is Telly mad or isn't she? This part of the movie is quite interesting. Julianne Moore does a great job looking as though she is at wit's end, forgetting the most everyday things like where she parked her car, and whether or not she just finished drinking a cup of coffee.

As soon as it begins to reveal the "terrifying" truth, however, "The Forgotten" becomes embarrassingly ridiculous. One pivotal scene which was clearly expected to startle and frighten us, instead had the audience roaring with laughter--not surprising when you borrow your special effects from Mary Poppins! I can't for the life of me understand why actors as talented as Julianne Moore and Gary Sinese would waste their time on this one...

Forget Forgotten

Author: DP-4 from Exton, PA
25 September 2004

What a disappointment. I read some great IMDb reviews and prepared myself for a great thriller with a shock ending. I guess I will need to keep waiting for a film that delivers this.

If you saw the trailer for the movie then you pretty much know exactly what this film is about. There are no surprises in the film whatsoever. As for suspense, you get a marginal amount of that, and then are totally unshocked at the end.

This should have been a made-for-TV film that aired on the SciFi Channel. It is not worthy of the big screen. This film was a total waste of $7. I now see why Nicole Kidman passed up the lead role. She knows how to avoid movies that suck.

-- DP.

Forget this movie, it's crap

Author: nestle_006 from Canada
25 September 2004

The movie starts off good, then all of sudden the story turns into bore fest. You're pretty much waiting for something to happen and when it does happen it's exactly what you expect. There are about 3 or 4 scenes in the whole friggin' movie that will keep your attention (or to wake you up). The ending was totally crap and it could have used.......anything to spice it up. For sure, you will forget this movie by the next day, cause you don't want to remember spending money on this film. If you've seen the commercials (or any previews), then you've seen this movie, cause the commercials pretty much show the scariest parts of the movie. I swear it's not worth the money (full price) to see this movie. I suggest this movie for those who want to take a girl out on a movie date. She'll jump, but you'll cry (for wasting your cash on such a film, unless you get some).