IMDb > Foolproof (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A hidden gem

Author: tenten76 from London
10 January 2005

Slick, witty, snappy, tight, and fun. Bright, endearing leads. David Suchet is really good as someone who really isn't very nice. The heists (and camera/editing), while not exactly Mission Impossible, are innovative and exciting, and although you always know what's going to happen it's a fun ride getting there.

Foolproof doesn't have the same star-quality you might find in some bigger releases, but the film looks crisp and colourful with good (eg. believable, unobtrusive) special effects, and there are plenty of films - and big-name directors - who could learn a thing or two about getting sparky performances, and a pacy, neat little caper.

Definitely Deserving Another Look

Author: Johno21 from Calgary, Canada
1 November 2003

Finally, a heist movie that doesn't have any noticeable plot holes, intriguing concept, and for Canadian viewers, doesn't attempt to hide a major Canadian city as somewhere in America.

Normally, I'm put off by action movies because of the plot holes and repetitiveness of so many of them. So "Foolproof" came as a pleasant treat- there is a MAJOR twist in the plot that you will just have to watch for yourself.

Watching "Foolproof" was like reading a nice mystery novel on a winter afternoon, (as it happens, I saw this movie on a snowy afternoon!)

If this is the future of Canadian film, more please!

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: Groovespeed from Los Angeles, CA
29 February 2004

I rented this video on a whim as I enjoy heist flicks, but went in expecting really grade B material. I ended up thoroughly enjoying this film! Ryan Reynolds and the cast were funny without overdoing it and worked well together. The film wasn't burdened with cheesy dialogue, hokey special effects and the such. Throughout it maintained a smart approach toward keeping the characters in the forefront. Yes, the heist sequences were detailed and decent in their own right and is on par with that of Entrapment but maybe even better: cool to watch without it being way, way over the top. But we never lose sight of the three central characters. It's finding these small niche gems that make watching films an adventure.

Great Unknown Action Movie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 June 2005

Kevin (Ryan Teynolds), Sam (Kristin Booth) and Rob (Joris Jarsky) are best friends and they develop plans of foolproof heists as a game since the times of the university, but without having the intention of executing it. After developing a complex robbery of a jewelery, their plans are stolen. Sooner, the mobster Leo Gillette (David Suchet), who has stolen the jewelery following the plan developed by the group, blackmails them with the following proposition: they have to steal US$ 20,000,000.00 in bonds from a bank, and he returns the stolen project of heist to them. Otherwise, he will deliver their plans with their fingerprint to the police. Kev, Sam and Rob decide to join the gang, afraid of going to the jail.

"Foolproof" is a surprisingly good action movie. The story, full of plot points and betrayals, is engaging and recalls movies like "The Italian Job", "The Sting", or "Confidence", among others. The nice cast and the excellent David Suchet have great performances in the role of a team with a weird hobby, and an amoral mobster. The music score is also great and fits perfectly to the action scenes. I really recommend this unknown movie as a great entertainment. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Jogo de Risco" ("Game of Risk")

Foolproof is foolproof!

Author: Ian from Ontario, Canada
3 October 2003

This movie was outstanding! Clever, funny, exciting, and Canadian. I'm quite proud to see this film on the big screen. I'm even more proud of the fact that the film makers decided to base the story in Toronto. Too often has Toronto doubled for other cities in films, it was refreshing to see the "T dot O" being its good old self.

Until I saw this movie, Ocean's 11 (the remake, not the boring original) was hands-down favourite heist movie. In my opinion, FoolProof is practically dead even with Ocean's 11 on sheer cleverness. I don't want to spoil anything, but suffice it to say that the plot surrounding the heist and the "thieves by mistake" is brilliant, twisting, and...foolproof!

The characters were expertly played, with Ryan Reynolds really shining in his performance. He came across as smart, quirky, and of course very funny. His comic timing blended very well with the tense heist drama.

The great part about FoolProof is that, unlike Ocean's 11, it didn't try to hype itself up with some veteran all-star cast to try and sell more tickets. Ryan Reynolds has significant star power, but I'm not sure if the fratboy fans who say Van Wilder will warm up to this much more dynamic role. Only time will tell I suppose. Either way, if you're a Canadian, support your film industry and check out this stellar movie!

A Solid Mystery Caper Film

Author: tabuno from utah
5 June 2005

this no name, no budget mystery caper surprisingly is a solid piece of film-making with an excellent plot twist, taut writing and acting along with a good music track. There is a delightful laid back transition into a more sinister scenario along with a few spicy scenes that never become over the top. Somewhat manipulative in places, but not really more than most mystery thriller genre movies. The characters could have been more refined and restrained in a few places, but overall this a good "see" if one is looking for something exciting when it comes to crime films - a sort of mini Oceans 11 or 12 on a smaller scale without all the big action. Seven out of Ten Stars.

8/10 Good script, good acting, good plot, good soundtrack, intelligent caper.

Author: yak-yak from Canada
31 May 2004

I loved this movie.

Foolproof is a pretty intelligent caper film that rises above standard caper/action movies that you get from, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Acting: It was very good, but the acting from Ryan Reynolds was great. I found his delivery perfect for the role.

Script: The script was fairly intelligent but fell into a few standard-caper-script holes in a few spots. Overall the script maintained its character through the interpersonal banter, particularly with Reynolds.

Soundtrack: Excellent. Perhaps the greatest complement to an intelligent movie is a groovy soundtrack that helps keep the momentum of the film going. This soundtrack is groovy. Think Ocean's Eleven with George Clooney.

Plausibility: Well, here we have problems. Don't think this is realistic, just be thankful you don't have Arnie flying a Harrier jet. Hey, it's as plausible as Ocean's Eleven.

Overall, I really enjoyed this movie, and I would happily recommend it to almost anyone.

Clever twist and Kristin Booth = a decent caper movie

Author: Brian B-2
28 August 2004

While not up to the pace and drama of The Italian Job or Heist,this made for cable epic is redeemed by a nice twist ending.

Kristin Booth as the female lead has charm and presence. Her smile lights up the screen and she looks capable of the part played by her character, with a well muscled build unlike the typical stick woman of Hollywood.

David Suchet, who you may remember as the cop in A Perfect Murder, underplays the villain well though the other leads struggle more with the wooden dialogue.

A diverting way to spend some time. Certainly better than The Score, which wasted a huge budget and big name actors. Here, a modest budget and working talent exceed expectations.

I was surprised.

Author: Deneb from Canada
5 October 2003

I'll admit it - I only went to see this movie to support the fact that a Canadian movie was playing at my local giant movie-plex - a rarity in these parts. I didn't know all that much about it and I went in thinking that there was a good chance that I was not going to like this movie.

But I was surprised. Although it wasn't the most techno-savvy heist movie with the coolest gadgets and up-to-the-minute technology, it had me entertained. That's not to say that there weren't gadgets and neat props used to pull of the heists - just not a plethora of things like you would see in a huge budget Hollywood movie. The parts in the movie that were supposed to be funny made me laugh and the tense parts had me going.

The setup, a trio of twenty-something friends making a game out of planning the perfect crime without actually any intention of pulling them off, was at least a refreshing start to a caper movie. They are not looking to score diamonds and make it rich - they are satisfied with knowing that they outsmarted the security companies and that they could pull off these jobs if they didn't have morals and a respect for the law (they are just desk-jockies).

I thought that the acting was well-done and the roles were believable. The script was pretty good and at least there wasn't a bunch of cheesy one-liners and awkward dialogue (although I too found that they said "foolproof" more times than warranted).

All in all I would have no problem recommending this to anyone. As long as you don't go into the theatre expecting the smartest, savvy-est, most original heist movie ever to grace the screen, then you'll most likely enjoy it for the 'popcorn movie' that it is.

[Review] Foolproof (SPOILERS for the 5 of you who wanted to see this)

Author: Brian Crocker (Prophet1-2) from Halifax, Nova Scotia
3 October 2003

Friend got a free pass to the preview of Foolproof. Hadn't done much since Hurricane Juan blew through the city, so I thought "Hey, I know nothing about this movie, but it should be a good way to kill 90 minutes..." I was right...sort of.

This movie wasn't bad...it wasn't really good either, but "Hollow Man" it definately was NOT.

The premise is a little trite, but here it goes. Ryan Reynolds plays Kevin, a cutish little cubicle nebbish who in his spare time, plans, devises and pretends to hack banks, jewelry stores and the like with his two friends - Kristen Booth as the wired and angry Samantha, and Joris Jarsky as the nerdy, unkempt and slimy techie Rob. Let me impress upon you the seriousness of what they do. They stake out places (in the beginning of the movie, it is a jewelers), find out the security systems, layout of the place, habits of night guards, etc. Then, in Rob's garage, they recreate the scenario of breaking in to the last detail. They get mockups of the security systems, measure distances and essentially breaks into the place without actually doing it. They call their little group "Foolproof", and you know this because a) Kevin is an uptight, twitchy stickler for the rules who insists everything be followed to the last detail and b) they repeat the word every five seconds. Honestly, its like going to see "Batman" and having him say "I'm Batman" everytime he meets someone new...we get that the movie is called Foolproof, you don't need to beat us over the head with it.

My main problem in the first five minutes of the movie is that they do not give any screen time explaining how they got layout plans of the building, technical specs and blueprints of the building high security system, technical and chemical knoeledge enough to be able to recreate and then defeat these systems, or any real reason why a bunch of people would do this. They don't seem to be having a lot of fun, especially Kevin, and they don't explain where all this stuff comes from or where they get the money. Rob is an insurance adjuster, so his money isn't exactly rolling in.

That and they say the word "Foolproof" about twenty times...sigh.

Enter Leo Gillette, also known as Leo The Touch...a flawless (maybe foolproof?) theif who has stumbled upon their little group, stole the plans for the jewlers, and used them to perfection to steal the jewels these idiots were only pretending to steal. He then blackmails them into working for him on a new job, since their fingerprints are all over the plans. Leo is played quite admirably by David Suchet (Hercule Poirot in the series, and Geppetto in Roberto Bengini's Pinnochio), and he gets these losers to work on his job, and put their virtual talents to use. He also apparently starts to win over Rob, who is a loser who sees in Leo everything he wants, and Leo kind of takes him under his wing a bit.

I won't give away any of the ending; the actual sequence for the breakins and how they do it is rather well done for such a small Canadian picture, and the chemistry between the actors is, if not electric, at least beleivable. There are a few instances at the big suprise wrap up finish where they explain everything that I had to beat myself on the head saying "Stop thinking! Thinking is bad!", but suffice to say, while it may look good on screen, it is utterly unbeleivable...

The ending is rather satisfying, but in all, the premise and execution is rather lame and unbelievable, and while the actors do a good job with the roles they are given, I care absolutely nothing for any of them. I hope they fail, and Leo has them put in cement shoes.

Do not pay actual money to see this, unless REALLY bored and you have seen every other good movie in the theater (go see another one again, is my reccomendation), and I wouldn't even reccomend it as a renter. Wait until it hits the Movie Network, and watch it then...and only if you have nothing else to do.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]